Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I just picked 2 up 30 mins ago at Best Buy in Owasso, OK if anyone's near there, the guy had a stack of at least 6 left after I got mine.

They'll go fast though, he said they've been getting lots of calls, the Tulsa stores directed me there.

Note on the netflix thing, I thought it would be a card in the box but best buy actually does it on the register and the code is on your receipt. If you're buying one for a friend like I was they have to do it as 2 transactions.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
How do you play local avi files and such from a laptop?

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/07/25/tip-you-can-play-local-video-files-through-chromecast/
This article posted in android phone thread says you can play local files, they use an mp4 though. On my chrome typing in an address to a local file like that just causes it to start "downloading" in chrome to my downloads dir.

edit: If I chromecast a tab with flash video from windows chrome, like from my own subsonic server or from a news site it's completely unwatchable levels of choppy.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 26, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

teagone posted:

Weird, I just watched the vergecast today and they demo'd playing their livestream via a casted Chrome tab from one of the hosts MacBooks and it played back the flash video smoothly.

If it was on YouTube there's some type of native YouTube on laptop to chromecast function that makes yt vids smooth.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Do you all have to use the microusb port for power?

I thought I read earlier that newer Tvs could provide power via HDMI. Our <1 year old insignia bedroom TV didn't provide power via hdmi, used the TV USB port. Friend of mine who I got one for too and also has a real new TV had to use USB too.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

That's it. The cord doesn't seem to bend too much, but it's definitely not solid.

I used this on mine, IMO seems like it may be a little safer, less chance of breaking the TV's hdmi port if you bumped the thing good.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Does anyone know if Best Buy allows you to call in, purchase an item and then pick it up later?

The nearest best buy is an hour and a half away. I would hate to drive there only to find all the chromecasts have already been purchased.

The one I went to yesterday to get mine said they'd let me do that when I talked to them on the phone beforehand. Then I mentioned I could be there in 30mins and they said they'd just hold it for me and I could pay at the register.

Athenry posted:

Finally home. This thing is slick, gives you lockscreen and notification controls when something is playing. Except it's locked up my phone twice now when I've shut the screen off.

Is this a rom-specific thing? I get them for netflix and youtube on cm10x but my wife does not on her stock Note 2.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
re: ios It has the button and does youtube on my kids' 4gen ipod touches just fine, does netflix too just fine once it gets going anyway but the new update to ios netflix seems really really laggy just browsing and starting streaming. (compared to what I'm used to on android anyway, tonight was the 1st time I'd played with netflix on one of their ipods.)

edit: strike that, what I've seen several times now in playing around with ipod and netflix is right on the threshold of what I'd call a lockup.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 27, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I have upnp disabled on my router and everything went ok for me.

Question: I haven't tried this but is there a way to use the chromecast without a seperate wifi network, using android hotspot? Like at a hotel without wifi or something? The way the setup went almost makes me think in that scenario you'd have to have two phones, one running the hotspot and the other to run the setup wizard.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
A thought: I put mine on our bedroom TV* since we have an htpc in living room.A nerdy Htpc is superior in many many ways to chrome cast but there's a lot to be said for moving some goofyass youtube video from your phone to a screen many tens of times bigger by clicking one little softbutton. They should make a chrome cast app for win/Linux/osx for those who already have an htpc and make it be seen on network as a chromecast, whatever os it may be it just goes full screen cast when it receives one.

*bedroom bluray player already did Netflix and YouTube fine so this didn't really gain us anything for now but I have really high hopes of lots of android/ios apps doing some cool cool stuff with it. (Games with mode for phone screen as controller, TV as display?) Or even hacks to chromecast itself for good stuff.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 3, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

FogHelmut posted:

I don't run Cyanogenmod, but hopefully this will work its way into something you can install on anything

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/08/09/koush-demonstrates-streaming-to-chromecast-with-any-media-app-on-cyanogenmod/

That's pretty awesome. Will be even better if they will add something so you could mirror your phones screen to the chromecast for browsing your gallery, using browser, maybe even simple games would mirror.

I copy/pasted your post to the rooted thread btw.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Maybe any google software on a tv could be sandboxed/VMed or something so it could be updated independently of the manufacturers stuff?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

stevewm posted:

Only tab casting actually steams data from the casting device.

And this does require some good hardware. It was completely unwatchable, choppy as poo poo, casting a tab of non-youtube flash video from my old latitude d630 with some kind of c2d proc, was close to perfect (tiny, mostly watchable little lags/hiccups could be busy 2.4ghz rf spectrum.) doing same thing from my wife's year old some kinda i7 highish spec inspiron.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

FogHelmut posted:

If your browser is on a computer that is wired to the network, and your Chromecast has a really good wifi connection, it's not bad. If both devices are on a wifi G connection, then good luck.

We have wireless G and it works just fine tab-casting from my wife's i7 laptop with both the laptop and CC being like 30-40 feet and 3 walls away from the router. It's stuttery poo poo trying to cast from my old c2d laptop.

• Locked thread