Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

bull3964 posted:

HBO can't even get their app working on 4.3, I assume chromecast support is a LOOONG way off.
Hey, it takes A LOT OF TIME AND EFFORT for them to change maxVersion=4.2.9 to maxVersion=4.3.9 and recompile the app!

I seriously don't understand why there's so much delay in updating HBO/MAX GO for a new Android release but at least they're better at it than the EPIX people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Lightbulb Grease posted:

It's started appearing for people who don't have Miracast® but do have a Chromecast.

The trick is to have Allcast and the previous version of Play Music, because it was apparently broken enough to let this feature kinda slip through.
Koush was posting about this on Google+ the other day, sounds like they've started working on screen mirroring code for Chromecast and - intentionally or not - some of the code is in the latest Play Services update but like you mentioned, it's broken at the moment.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

baka kaba posted:

I haven't tried it (and probably won't until it hits the Beta channel) but if you're curious, feel free! It'll be interesting to see how much the lag is affected, and if it handles video better
I haven't tried it yet but if you install the beta version of the Google Cast extension, the experimental tab casting option says it'll work on Chrome 36+ which would include the beta channel and not just dev.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Tunga posted:

I haven't tried this and a quick Google turned up nothing but I would imagine setting FLAG_SECURE on an Activity prevents it from showing up on a Chromecast so developers will be able to block is that way. I'm not sure. Anyone know if a Chomecast counts as a secure display?

Edit: I guess it supports HDCP so maybe it does count as secure. There are apps out there which block HDMI out so it'll be interesting to see what happens here.

Edit edit: Sky and 4oD (two UK VoD services) both pushed app updates which detect and block screencasting to Chromecast. I'm not sure exactly how they are doing it since I don't have either installed and there's very little documentation around this right now. I would be amazed if Google didn't provide an official way to block screencasting because these content providers demand that kind of poo poo.
I tried the Charter TV app with it last night and it popped up a toast that said something like "disable HDMI output to continue playback" but it kept playing fine so I guess either Charter didn't code something right or the HDMI detection doesn't completely work for casting. I'm not sure if it counts as a secure display or not (I could probably test that if I was at home) but if FLAG_SECURE can be used to stop casting, there's an Xposed module that will disable that now.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Chromecast support for Slingplayer! :toot:

http://blog.sling.com/2014/09/17/chromecast-for-sling-has-arrived/

But only for the three newest Slingbox models! :bang:

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Cozmosis posted:

Not including the others is such bullshit. I have no reason to upgrade my Pro HD.
Yeah, I can't imagine a technical reason for it since you can already stream video from other models to other devices, such as the Roku.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

I ordered one, expected delivery is Jan 5, 2015. I don't know where the Chromecast is going really. It's good for watching YouTube on my TV.
I ordered one for my mom earlier, I was hoping to get it by Christmas but Jan 5 is my expected delivery date too.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

havenwaters posted:

I ordered two yesterday back to back and they show different delivery dates. Hopefully it will be like the Kindle Voyage where a lot of the orders will get pushed forwards by a month when it gets closer to release.
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for too.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Super Dude posted:

I still don't understand why they made a new app for HBO now when the HBO go app has had CC support for a long time (Nov 2013).
I believe HBO Now uses a different streaming system operated by MLB Advanced Media rather than the system they've been using for HBO GO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Super Dude posted:

Well it seems like the Now people got the short end of the stick.
I don't know about that. MLBAM is also behind MLB.TV, March Madness streaming, WatchESPN, and WWE Network, so they know what they're doing.

• Locked thread