Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

But not Silverlight or Quicktime.
The Chromecast does not render the page separately, so it doesn't matter if the video is using Silverlight or Quicktime.

Netflix, Google Play and Youtube pull directly from the source and do render on the device, when used through their respective apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Hola is a good chrome plug-in for non-us use too. I used it from the Philippines and Czech Republic just fine for some Netflix and hulu content.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

teagone posted:

Hmm, have you tried asking a hotel person to see if they could help you out?
Hotel TVs are loving trash 99%of the time. They run butchered to poo poo firmware and often manage to display HD video with more static than a 90s portable TV. I would honestly be more surprised if it worked.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

fondue posted:

Finally got my confirmation on shipping email from the google play store, unfortunately no Netflix code despite getting my order in prior to the deadline.
Same here. 10:31 AM PDT. I should have been a little more patient and ordered from Amazon, since I picked USPS shipping from Google Play. Either way, still excited to get the thing.

Just got my code. Oddly enough, it didn't show up in my Gmail account. I must have my other personal account set up as a recipient for...something, somewhere.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 26, 2013

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Though that won't help Netflix on a non-PC device.
How about Hola Unblocker, which I mentioned in this thread?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

That covers a few more things, but still leaves out consoles and streaming devices.
We're talking about Chrome and Chromecast here, what do consoles have to do with anything?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Athenry posted:

It wouldn't be from Google if it didn't have some pants on head obvious omission.
My wired Xbox can't see my wireless desktop. I think it's something about the network configuration or the router settings.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Basically the same as teagone for me, except I disabled Wireless Client Isolation a few days ago. From unboxing to listening to some music from Play Music, it took maybe 2 minutes. Slick as gently caress.

edit: Mirrored a tab in Chrome and dropped a video file in there, and it streamed to the TV in perfect quality. Awesome.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 31, 2013

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The only extension or plugin that stands out to me is my VLC Web Plugin, maybe that's the one?

I tried an MKV just now and got no sound (it had a little line through the volume control) in Chrome itself. Casting it or not made no difference. I had plenty of luck with MP4 and AVI files.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Genderfluid posted:

What's the vlc web plugin?
It came with VLC, and installed by default I believe. I'm not sure that's what allowed videos to load directly in Chrome (as opposed to 'downloading' the local video), but it seems plausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

My Panasonic doesn't maintain power to the USB ports when the TV is off, so I also went with the power outlet option. If there's one place in my house with plenty of room to plug stuff in, it's behind the TV, so it's no big deal.

• Locked thread