Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
I'm looking to do a little virtualization project at work for around $500 (small business, was like pulling teeth to get this much, and we'll add more ram and what not as we go along) including ram and ssd. I was going to just suggest the Xeon based Lenovo TS140, since I have one at home and love it, but the price on them has shot up by $150-$200 which eats the entire budget pretty much. Right now they are looking at older i7 desktops, which may get the job done but meh.

Can anyone offer a recommendation for something new or used that would be similar? It having ECC RAM isn't a need, nothing super important will be running on it. We'll mainly be using it to train people on different OSes and how to troubleshoot them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Pretty much anything will do that kind of basic-level virtualization these days. Unless you have stringent hardware requirements, just shove a bunch of memory into anything made in the last 3 years.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Bored this afternoon at work and I need to get off my rear end and study to take the vcp 5.5 since I already took the class, so I'm getting this set up from our pile of crap for studying. Should be good enough for an initial setup, with 64gb each.

E: 32, not 64. Still good enough.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 22, 2016

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

KillHour posted:

Can someone sanity check this before I spend all night implementing it? This only includes the IP stuff - I'll be adding a virtual SAN at some point.
I don't have anything to add on the sanity check portion, but I both wanted to make sure this wasn't missed by everyone else on the new page, and throw out major kudos on the complexity of the home lab, getting some real work done. Much better than the "I have ESXi and built a domain controller" approach. That looks awesome.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I don't have anything to add on the sanity check portion, but I both wanted to make sure this wasn't missed by everyone else on the new page, and throw out major kudos on the complexity of the home lab, getting some real work done. Much better than the "I have ESXi and built a domain controller" approach. That looks awesome.

Hopefully not a dumb question, how many boxes would you need to run that kind of setup at home, or could it all done on a single box? Would GNS3 be used for the routers?

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
GNS3 would not work for the routers, most likely pfsense VMs or something similar. GNS3 great for testing, horrible for anything close to production.

Check this for throughput numbers for the old Cisco hardware running in GNS3. The most beefy hardware you can run (7200) has a max throughput on ASICs at 40mbit, GNS3 does all of this in software so you'll get a fraction of that.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

Fatal fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 23, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fatal posted:

GNS3 would not work for the routers, most likely pfsense VMs or something similar. GNS3 great for testing, horrible for anything close to production.

Check this for throughput numbers for the old Cisco hardware running in GNS3. The most beefy hardware you can run (7200) has a max throughput on ASICs at 40mbit, GNS3 does all of this in software so you'll get a fraction of that.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

I was totally going to use GNS3, so thanks for saying this before I hit a brick wall.

I have a pair of E5-2650 v1 procs, 32GB of RAM, a 1TB HDD, and a 320GB IoDrive. I just ordered another 64GB since apparently emulating network devices uses a poo poo ton of RAM. All I have up so far is a pair of Server 2012 R2 core domain controllers, an iSCSI SAN, 3 instances of ESXi, and a vCenter appliance. Hopefully 96GB and 16 cores will be enough, because I'm not exactly flush with cash right now.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Thanks. I really feel like unless you deploy like you're in a real datacenter, you're not going to learn anything useful. Disclaimer: I've never been responsible for architecting a real datacenter. I've designed tons of distribution networks, though.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 23, 2016

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
I currently have the following in my cart for CCNA:

1x Cisco 3550
2x Cisco 2950
2x Cisco 2621 12.

Does this all seem about right? Total comes to around $200, which is 2/3 of any other kit I saw online. I figure I can just get the cabling at work, as I have drawers full of them. The only thing I was worried about was 12.3 IOS not being sufficient.

Edit: Ended up buying two 2621xm, one 3560, one 2811 for IOS 15.1, and two 2950's. And it still costs a lot less than those kits on eBay.

InevitableCheese fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 25, 2016

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's not awful, but as someone with CCNA and CCNP under his belt I still don't see the value of real hardware versus GNS3. I know everyone wants to get their hands on real kit because it feels cool and you never know when you might need to know how to, I don't know, make a rollover cable or something, but if I had it to do all over again I would never have touched physical equipment (well, except for one router to get an IOS from ;) )..

The convenience of being able to fire up a dozen routers with the click of a button and not have to sit there next to a jet engine endlessly flipping console cables back and forth is so much preferable to owning some old Cisco kit. To me, anyway.

edit: That sounded way harsher than I intended, and by no means did I mean to put you off your purchase. If I could recommend one thing, pull an IOS off your router and fire up GNS3 and donk around with it :)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Aren't the IOS images readily available from Cisco now that the licensing has moved to unlock keys stored in NVRAM? I didn't have to have valid SMARTnet a couple of months back when I got the IOS image for a 1941 that has somehow found its way to me.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

Martytoof posted:

That's not awful, but as someone with CCNA and CCNP under his belt I still don't see the value of real hardware versus GNS3. I know everyone wants to get their hands on real kit because it feels cool and you never know when you might need to know how to, I don't know, make a rollover cable or something, but if I had it to do all over again I would never have touched physical equipment (well, except for one router to get an IOS from ;) )..

The convenience of being able to fire up a dozen routers with the click of a button and not have to sit there next to a jet engine endlessly flipping console cables back and forth is so much preferable to owning some old Cisco kit. To me, anyway.

edit: That sounded way harsher than I intended, and by no means did I mean to put you off your purchase. If I could recommend one thing, pull an IOS off your router and fire up GNS3 and donk around with it :)

Yeah, I will probably end up doing both hardware and virtual. I had such a bad time trying to get "other images" working that I ended up buying a rack of stuff. Plus, I don't really have any experiences with actual hardware so I'd rather get that out of the way at home.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

InevitableCheese posted:

Yeah, I will probably end up doing both hardware and virtual. I had such a bad time trying to get "other images" working that I ended up buying a rack of stuff. Plus, I don't really have any experiences with actual hardware so I'd rather get that out of the way at home.

Yeah, that's how I was when I first started too so I definitely understand the desire to just get your hands on kit :)

Good luck!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If all I want to do is get a lab to run ESXi with a bunch of VMs, could I make do with a T140 with an i3 and 32 gigs of ram?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Swagger Dagger posted:

If all I want to do is get a lab to run ESXi with a bunch of VMs, could I make do with a T140 with an i3 and 32 gigs of ram?

I would strongly suggest not going with an i3 for lack of core resource availability.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Yeah, there are only a few reasons to buy hardware for CCNA to CCNP.

• So you can say you've worked with actual switches
  • Get familiar with spanning tree

If you can check off those two boxes then there is no reason to get switches. Definitely don't need to get routers, that can be handled with GNS3 + a second NIC to connect to the above switch (for router on a stick). Cisco Labs are also a good alternative if you don't want to setup GNS3 (although I consider that in and of itself a good learning opportunity).

Fatal fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 4, 2016

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm like 99.999% sure you can do STP in a switchport-enabled IOS image in GNS3

But your point stands.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
It's been a few years since I've really touched my home server environment, so I've been slowly preparing for an overhaul. The original implementation, while simple, succeeded in getting my hands-on learning with storage, virtualization, and networking. It basically consisted of a l3 switch, a freenas box and an esxi box. I've since consumed most of those resources for my home "production" environment. While the hardware was sufficient, old consumer grade stuff I had lying around isn't terribly reliable. Picked up a cheap 25U rack that I've set up in a downstairs closet to keep everything out of sight and earshot, although I'm still fiddling with ideas on how to cool it properly without taking the doors off. Should only really become a major issue when I add more hardware.

Replacement production server is just about complete, should be able to do a burn-in for a couple days when I get the memory in tomorrow, just before heading out of town for the weekend. I really should have just gone with a last-gen E5 but my dumbass decided to get a fancy new X11 supermicro board and a skylake e3v5, which only supports ddr4 ecc udimm's. Apparently nobody uses this memory since my only option was to buy direct from crucial. With 64GB, should be plenty of horsepower for everything I need in addition to some VM's for openstack controllers.

Once I set everything up I'll post up some pics. Need to make some cables when I get some time because apparently all I had were super long and super short cables. Also still debating on if I want to use zfsonlinux or btrfs, but since I have a full backup of my data I'll likely re-build my array for speed rather than redundancy.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I was told to post here about suggestions for a home server for esxi and Cisco cucm labbing. I thought I would get a used c200 or something but I would appreciate any feedback on better options and am happy to build my own.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

The Lenovo TS140 seems to be a thread favorite. There's also the HP ML10 v2 at a similar price point, and you can get either of them with a dual core hyperthreaded i3 or a quad core Xeon.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Is the i3 powerful enough to handle multiple vms?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Bigass Moth posted:

Is the i3 powerful enough to handle multiple vms?

That's 2 cores, so as soon as you exceed two vms, you're going to have contention. This might not be a problem depending on the OS, (I think), especially if you've got good solid state storage.
I would go with i5 at a minimum.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I also would recommend i5 at a minimum, however I will say the same thing here that I have said every time I have posted - remember, it's a home lab, and not production. You're basically never going to be using more than about 2 of the VMs at a time. You might write a query on your Win7 box which'll hit your SQL box, or you might vMotion a VM from 1 host to another, but you're never going to be doing some massive stress test of your environment. Or, if you are, you'll have moved well past a single i3 or i5 box by then.

Hell when I build VMs at home, my life's goal is to use as little memory as possible to hammer as many VMs in as I can. My domain controller has like 800mb. In production I give it 4gb because 'eh', but at home, find the bare minimum I can use comfortably and go.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 4, 2016

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

SamDabbers posted:

The Lenovo TS140 seems to be a thread favorite. There's also the HP ML10 v2 at a similar price point, and you can get either of them with a dual core hyperthreaded i3 or a quad core Xeon.

Just doubled my ram in mine to 32 gigs. Great little box.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'd go for an i5 or something like the TS440 if you can spring for it(http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkServer-TS440-70AQ0009UX-E3-1225V3/dp/B00HEK9A8M) just because the marginal price over an i3 is small, but focus on memory and then SSD space for your home lab. ram and space for VMs are at a far bigger premium for me compared to processor power. I picked up the server in the link, added a 500gb SSD and 16 gigs of ram and it's been far beyond anything I can max out so far (AD/DNS, two web servers and and a VCSA instance. Plus a virtual test domain and test web servers).

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

That's 2 cores, so as soon as you exceed two vms, you're going to have contention. This might not be a problem depending on the OS, (I think), especially if you've got good solid state storage.
I would go with i5 at a minimum.

Most people use consolidation ratios of 4 or even 8 vcpus to cores in production environments, a lab certainly isn't going to do 1 to 1.

If you're doing NUCs you're probably doing multiple ones in a cluster so the 2 core limitation isn't that serious.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Ask me about using 2200 of these in production and rather than springing for a RAID card we use the software RAID. Also ask me about how large I/O can cause the server to lock up, start verifying the RAID integrity and then lockup so you have to reboot them from the AMT. We finally got a fixed driver from intel (through lenovo) so it marks the drives defunct instead of locking up every night.... only took a year for that to happen.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MF_James posted:

Ask me about using 2200 of these in production and rather than springing for a RAID card we use the software RAID. Also ask me about how large I/O can cause the server to lock up, start verifying the RAID integrity and then lockup so you have to reboot them from the AMT. We finally got a fixed driver from intel (through lenovo) so it marks the drives defunct instead of locking up every night.... only took a year for that to happen.

Wow that really sucks, I'm glad my home lab hasn't run into any of those issues because I'm not using it in production.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

MF_James posted:

I have one of these, I run Linux from the Megaraid card that's included. I guess the software RAID you mention does not include this card right? Otherwise I might have a problem. :)

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I have one of these, I run Linux from the Megaraid card that's included. I guess the software RAID you mention does not include this card right? Otherwise I might have a problem. :)

Our client opted out of the megaraid card because that would have cost an extra $100 per machine, not a good spot to penny pinch.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

There's some pretty good deals on older refurbished Dell stuff right now at dellrefurbished.com which is Dell Financial Services. There's slickdeals coupons for 50% off everything but laptops and 40% off laptops:
https://slickdeals.net/f/8555629-dell-refurbished-coupon-laptops-40-off-desktops-50-off-shipping?v=1

quote:

50% Off at DellRefurbished.com
Dell Refurbished [dellrefurbished.com] offers 50% off Refurbished Dell Computers and Accessories with coupon code SLICKDEALS50 (Shipping also 50% off)

Update: Sorry the 50% off discount does not apply for laptops. Stick Out Tongue

For laptops there is 40% off with coupon code SLICKDEALS40 and Shipping is 50% off.

I picked up an optiplex 990 (i5-2400) for about $182 shipped. Some slickdeals folks are picking up dual 6 core Xeons for under $500 and that kind of thing.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a good GNS3 CCNA/CCNP workbook? All of the prep books are either really theory heavy or not geared specifically to GNS3, and I find that Lammle's book really dumbs everything down while the Odom book drags everything out way too much.

I'd like a step-by-step exercise guide for setting up every lab in the syllabus specifically in GNS3 and then separately a book that is just theory. Any recommendations?

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

Chickenwalker posted:

Is there a good GNS3 CCNA/CCNP workbook? All of the prep books are either really theory heavy or not geared specifically to GNS3, and I find that Lammle's book really dumbs everything down while the Odom book drags everything out way too much.

I'd like a step-by-step exercise guide for setting up every lab in the syllabus specifically in GNS3 and then separately a book that is just theory. Any recommendations?

I also have the same question. I took CCNA classes in high school 12 years ago, went on a little adventure for a decade since no one where i was from would hire an 18 year old kid to work on this equipment. However, I am now employed at a networking equipment manufacturer and think it might be time to renew my certifications. I'm not sure where to begin, or where to go. Help

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I only had a few minutes at lunch at work to write this.

I'm studying for my CCENT/CCNA and wanted to build a home lab. I've got 2 1841s that I got from my old work with the blue cables and power. Without spending too much, what should I invest in to have a decent basic lab for these courses? I've seen a bunch of sites saying to have 3 routers and 3 switches to get the most out of it; considering what I have are there any recommendations of things to buy or avoid?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

You really don't need a lab for the CCENT/CCNA. GNS3 or packet tracer is more than sufficient. If you just really want some hardware, I picked up a 2600 series router and a 3350 catalyst switch a couple of years ago for like a hundred bucks total just to play with and that worked fine. You might want another switch or two to play around with spanning tree and another router to mess with routing protocols but again, GNS3 works plenty fine for that.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

iajanus posted:

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I only had a few minutes at lunch at work to write this.

I'm studying for my CCENT/CCNA and wanted to build a home lab. I've got 2 1841s that I got from my old work with the blue cables and power. Without spending too much, what should I invest in to have a decent basic lab for these courses? I've seen a bunch of sites saying to have 3 routers and 3 switches to get the most out of it; considering what I have are there any recommendations of things to buy or avoid?

To echo what everyone else has said you really REALLY dont need a home lab for the CCNA. Just go out and get PacketTracer or GSN3, or if you want to spend some money Boson NetSim is really good.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think everyone WANTS a lab just because it looks boss, but the reality is that everything you will need you can do cheaper and more efficiently with GNS3 and one or two IOS images.

And I don't mean to be derogatory when I say that. I was the exact same way. Someone told me to use PacketTracer but I spent big bucks on switches, routers, terminal servers, etc. In the end I sold it all for a loss. I won't say I didn't get use out of it. I did. It was a good learning experience, but in hindsight I would not have invested that money again.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
And for virtualization, if your work has some older decommissioned servers (and maybe even storage!) lying around, talk to your boss and see if you can use them for lab use "after hours." Better yet, run it in your company's datacenter so they're paying for the electricity. Why spend money if you don't have to? :getin:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

devmd01 posted:

And for virtualization, if your work has some older decommissioned servers (and maybe even storage!) lying around, talk to your boss and see if you can use them for lab use "after hours." Better yet, run it in your company's datacenter so they're paying for the electricity. Why spend money if you don't have to? :getin:

And have the network team on your rear end because you are the greatest liability ever? Better not.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
lol just lol, not everyone works in a megacorp, I can throw a pen across the room and hit our network person. I can tear down and rebuild our production vmware cluster all day long; i'm not going to break anything on the network by running a separate vmware cluster on a completely different network segment, calm the gently caress down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

devmd01 posted:

lol just lol, not everyone works in a megacorp, I can throw a pen across the room and hit our network person. I can tear down and rebuild our production vmware cluster all day long; i'm not going to break anything on the network by running a separate vmware cluster on a completely different network segment, calm the gently caress down.

Well I am the network guy in a small place now, and I definitely wouldn't let anyone experiment in our data center.

• Locked thread