Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd suggest refurb 2950/2960 (2 or 3) + GNS3 would really be all you'd need to easily lab anything in the CCNA curriculum, and a hell of a lot of the CCNP exam too. PacketTracer is a pretty good learning tool in that the learning curve is a lot lower than GNS3 + Wireshark, and it makes a fairly good attempt at emulating switching for study. It can't be hooked up to external networks/equipment however, but it does provide a good visualisation of the flow of things like STP, CDP etc.

You should also be able to pick up 1760 series routers with serial interfaces pretty cheap if you wanted to. I'm fortunate enough to have a bunch of ISR G2 stuff laying around/in stock to play with for a lab, but I've never had the opportunity to play with anything more than that (4500+ etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1000101 posted:

Not remotely. You still need a relatively competent network engineer to deal with the logical configuration of the network. VIRL is meant to make it easier to lab difficult configurations.

Not to mention the multi vendor environment we live in. They do seem open to the idea of running other virtualised platforms within VIRL however and that could be a huge boon.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Packet tracer talk: it's good for the CCENT/CCNA, terrible for labbing anything real. At least they now offer IOS 15 and 29xx series routers.

You definitely don't need to share it, plenty of others have. Stay safe.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If anyone wants GNS3 and virtual box advice feel free to PM me.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And both Jira and Confluence are only $10 each for 10 users. Highly recommended.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The 2950's are fine for studying switching for CCNA level (you'll want to throw in a 3rd switch, 2940 for STP stuff), and the 2600 are ok to great for CCNA depending on what else is inside them. I don't think the CCNA touches on anything related to the 3002 or the PIX/ASA side of things.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sefal posted:

I'm currently studying for my CCNA. I'm now at the part of subnetting router protocols is right after this. and I understand how to do that. I understand the theory but I have no hands on experience with it. i know which cables to use i don't know how to make them. I can identify them. The only hands on experience I have is with Packet Tracer and that is virtualized. I want to know how to connect switches with a patch through the wall to a central switch. I want to know how to actually subnet routers. I want to know how to actually subnet and connect a real work environment.

I don't have a lot of money right now. but I am saving up to buy a lab because what I have now won't cut it I think.
I think my budget would come around to 500-800 euro's

I have a PC with 8GB ram I7 processor 1 nic.
and it is currently running 4 VM's (windows server 2012 domain controller, W2012 File Server, Windows 7 client and Linux Open Suse which I currently use to learn how to make a mailserver)

I would love to have something like H.R Paperstack has. But it is way out of my price range.

But I really love the setup. is there a budget version like that? that will be good enough CCNA en maybe CCNP in the future?

Have you looked into GNS3? For CCNA I would get some 2950 switches and emulate your routing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you don't need gigabit and want to learn a little Cisco a 2950 24pt switch would fit that budget and give you a bunch of layer 2 stuff to play around with. I'd say get two.

• Locked thread