Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012

Agrikk posted:

There's CCNA in the title, but hopefully this thread is for IT labs of all types, including infrastructure builds and environment simulation.

My lab was originally this:

Until I the power bill started killing me, so I moved it into my colo space that I get for free by providing ad-hoc IT support for a friend. He gives me unmetered bandwidth on a 10mbit pipe, a half a cabinet and power.

So I built this:

But it's all my own gear so technically it's a private lab. I hope that's okay.

Cabling

The cabling might be hard to decipher, but basically I have VLANs for:
Local networking
Out of band management
iSCSI
Heartbeat.

Gear list

My current lab consists of a shitton of gear that I scored when everyone in my office was fired and the office itself closed down during a buyout. I was the last employee to go, kept around to dismantle and "eWaste" the gear and turn off the lights, so I eWasted a bunch of it into the trunk of my car:

Dell PowerConnect 6248P gigE switch
Sonicwall PRO 2040 Firewall / VPN concentrator
Five Supermicro AS-1012G-MTF 1U barebones servers with 1 8-core Opteron and 16GB RAM
- 2 ESXi 5.1 hypervisors
- 2 Windows Server 2008 R2 hosts
- 1 Windows Server 2008 R2 iSCSI target
Two HP ProLiant DL120 G6 servers with 1 Quad-core Xeon and 16GB RAM each
One HP Proliant DL160 G6 server with 2 quad-core Xeons and 48GB RAM

I realize that this list is absolutely rediculous for a "home lab" but I'm posting it to give another example of what's possible. This lab is basically unsustainable since any component failure would require a $500-1000 purchase from eBay to replace and I'm not willing to lay out that kind of dough. Still, I have the gear now so why not use it, eh? :D

Configuration

The two DL120 servers are configured with IIS/MySQL/PHP and run small web servers as well as what might be the longest continuously running Quake 2 Devastation server on the planet (mind the broken links - when I moved this part of the web site to a new host the links broke and I haven't bothered to update them yet). One of the DL120s also acts as my vSphere server for the 2-node iSCSI-based ESXi 5.1 HA cluster.

The DL180 server is an iSCSI target for the Hyper-V nodes and the ESXi nodes (below) as well as a Folding@Home rig. There is a dedicated LAN link, plus a pair of iSCSI links in round-robin load balancing for the target software.

One of the Supermicro boxes is also configured as low-performance iSCSI storage, plus basic CIFS file sharing.

ESXi 5.1 cluster
- iSCSI based
- 2 Supermicro servers (16-cores, 32GB total)
VMs:
- Windows 2008 R2 Domain controller
- 2 SQL Server 2008 R2 Reporting Services servers on Server 2008 R2
- 2 CentOS Folding@Home servers

Windows Server Failover Cluster Click here for a pic of the failover cluster manager.
- iSCSI based
- 2 Supermicro servers (16-cores, 32GB total)
- SQL Server 2008 R2 failover Cluster
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Analysis Services cluster
- Hyper-V cluster
VMs:
- Exchange 2010 Server
- Windows 2008 R2 Domain controller

This lab is pretty much my Swiss Army knife, allowing me to mess around with iSCSI, basic networking, VPN tunneling, ESX, Hyper-V and database stuff. I don't have the biggest virtual environment, but it's enough for me to stand up random virtual appliances, do high-availability stuff and/or tinker with different OSes as my interests dictate.

This is sorta what I want to run at home but with a lot less equipment. I would like to virtualize as much as possible since I am taking some vmware classes and want to keep up the momentum. I was thinking of a single server with beefy specs to use for ESXi, I know I can find 3+ year old equipment with decent specs for 400-500, I may even be getting a free server from an old boss. The networking is my weakest point but I do plan to buy some routers/switches within the next 6 months for practice. Do you think it would be a good idea for me to host a small single server with 2 routers and 3 switches?All for practice of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Remember, You can run ESXi inside ESXi, there are some virtual routers and switches out there where you can make some really interesting virtual network which can mimic things like WAN latency/speed, failures, and many other things you won't have to spend a buck on.

My advice start with one host, then move to another when you realize the host you are working on is not fitting the bill.

I was originally looking at something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251269644666

I have spare 500GB Sata drives I wanted to throw into it. Eventually I would want to add a second host but want to make sure I understand basics before I put money into it.

Agrikk posted:

I think it is silly for IT folks to not have an IT lab in their home. It is very easy to get rusty on skills that you don't use every day and having the right gear handy is a great way to brush up on stuff (especially before interviews, etc).

If I were to build a simple lab, I would build a white box ESXi host, stuff a bunch of nics in it, and then plug those nics into a router or two and a managed switch capable of multiple vlans.

Stay away from the temptation to buy old servers (but free can be good!): They tend to be noisier and more power hungry than a whitebox build and you typically get more bang for your buck on a home built (plus you get more hardware experience).

Here's a decent home ESXi server for around $550:

ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 - $85
AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1 GHz Eight-Core Desktop Processor - $150
2x8GB DDR3 SDRAM (16GB total) - $170
Rosewill capstone-550 80 PLUS GOLD power supply - $70
ATI Rage XL Pro 8BM PCI — $8 eBay
3 network cards: 2xPCI-e 1GB, 1xPCI 1GB — $~24 eBay
Computer case - $50

You surely have old SATA hard drives floating around, right? Buy a USB key ($8) to install ESXi on and use your SATA HDs for storage.

Make sure to buy the RAM in two sticks of 8GB each, so you can upgrade to 32GB at a later date by purchasing two more 8gb sticks when you can afford it.

Then as your funding allows, buy a used Dell PowerConnect 2716 switch (~$80) and maybe a Cisco 2621 (dual-port fast ethernet) ($90) to allow you to route between VMs and vlans using hardware.

Until you can get networking hardware, I think there are open source router appliances available for vmware that will get you designing your very own overcomplicated home network in no time...

I agree, I already have a really beefy gaming system and am the family IT guy so I build and repair their stuff all the time, so I feel like hardware I am decent on all ready. I also have some old 2950(not sure of model, at work right now) switches from a previous job so I already have a head start on that.

evol262 posted:

I always think two servers with lower specs (but lots of memory, which is cheap) are better than one, so you're not screwed with a hardware failure and you can play around with clustering without nesting ESXi instances.

But, yes, an environment like that (2 routers, 2 servers, 2 switches) is a good idea.

I would normally agree but was thinking of the following server as my starting point.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251269644666

I have older sata drives I will use so it not coming with any HDD is fine.

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012

This is my lab

It does basically everything I needed for the VCAP-DCA/VCP5/VCP5-DT(VDI)

AND MORE.

It is neat and easy, all in a one box, and costs a lot less.

So do you think that server I link will be able to do pretty much all the stuff you are doing? I would thin spec wise its above and beyond your system but is the price decent for the hardware?

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012

evol262 posted:

Unless you've done this before and know what you're doing, you almost certainly do not want a 1U with a 5 year old Xeon, no matter how enticing it looks on paper, especially if you want to do nested virt (which has improved dramatically from the hardware side in the last 5 years).

Good point, I am simply looking at the specs and not thinking about the improvements that current hardware has over older stuff. I am just confused I guess, I would be fine using a white box, i have a ton of old drives i can use including an ssd. At the same time having some old refurbished systems to play around with still sounds, to me, like a decent idea.

Edit: should have added onto my last comment, I cant delete this one so I apologize for the double post.

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012

It will probably work, however I am not sure if any off the shelf drives will work in dell servers. Some vendors drive lock where the HDD's won't be accessible. And storage is probably where you'll see some of the most slowdowns in a VMware lab.

This is another question I was going to ask, if off the shelf drives would work as long as they fit in the hdd trays.

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012

Most likely not. You probably want to look into something that Agrikk posted, or if you want do tell your budget and I can post a whitebox build.

Budget is around 600-700 for a white box since I can buy components over time. If I were to buy a refurb server I would say a budget of 500 since its a single big purchase.

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012

Agrikk posted:

So there are a bunch of people telling you why this is a bad idea, but if you want to do the goon-in-the-well thing, be my guest. :D It sounds like you are kinda stoked on the idea of having Enterprise Server Gear in your house so go hog wild.

Trust us, though. It will arrive in the mail and you will put your dives in and fire it up and get all kinds of excited about it. For about two weeks. Then eventually the fan noise will get annoying and you will start thinking about where you could put it to dampen the sound. Then you will start powering it off to get relief from the noise and power bill. Then you will be slightly irritated every time you want to try something and you have to wait while it powers on. Then you'll start browsing ebay to find out how much you can sell it for while you part out your new white box. The one with the efficient power supply, new processor and large, silent fans.

You are 100% right, I did respond to Dilbert to see what he suggest on a whitebox. At the end of the day I will get tired of the increased bill and the loudness. I am by no means asking for advice then resisting it, so I apologize if it seems that way.

Edit:

Evol, your build looks good and I will definitely be building myself a white box. Should a server come my way for free from the old boss I will still gladly accept it but I will rather stick with new, quiet, power efficient hardware.

Indecision1991 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 7, 2013

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012

Agrikk posted:

Ah hah hah hah holy poo poo!

Look at the previous set of posts on this exact page:

Then read our responses. :)

Maybe its my second account and I am just setting up a troll train? Nah jk'ing...either way thanks for the input, will wait for dilberts white box recommendation and begin to spec out a white box. If a server does fall on my lap ill just use it to mess with, nothing serious.

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012

Agrikk posted:

The Home Lab Thread: Please don't talk to us about http://www.ebay.com/itm/251269644666

OP should put this with bold letters.

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012

Sepist posted:

Updated the OP with an example of how loud they are

TBH, I did do some research on the C1100 before posting here and found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xToSKwWFO_o

So yes it is loud to start up but once it gets going it tones itself down. :ohdear:

Either way, its not for everyone and I think we have made this clear so lets move onto helping others.

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012

thebigcow posted:

I have a 1U Dell but I put it in the basement at work where they can pay for the power. If I'm in after hours I can hear it through the floor boards.

I was playing devils advocate in that it doesn't sound like a jet :devil:. Besides what home lab is going to be on 24/7? A home lab is a home lab, not a production environment that needs 99.999% up time and is being pushed hard all day long.

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input everyone has provided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012

Tekhne posted:

Last night I purchased a Dell PowerEdge C6100 off eBay for my home lab. I was originally going to build two boxes with Core i5s and ~32GB of ram each until I stumbled across this gem. For about $770 I got a chassis with four independent nodes each with 2 Quadcore Xeon L5520s and 24GB of ram. Total that makes it 8 physical CPUs (32 cores) and 96GB between all four server nodes. Each node can be powered up independently from the rest, and they all share the same power supply. According to ITPro's review on this model, all four nodes at idle will draw only 348W (going up to 964W at full utilization).

What am I going to use this for? I'll pop a USB stick into each server and install VMWare ESXi on them. Also I'll throw in a spare hard drive in each server and install HyperV on two and XenServer on the other two. I'm planning on going through lots of different scenarios that I encounter in my job - SBS migrations, Exchange upgrades, Citrix XenApp deployments, VMware View, XenDesktop, etc etc.

In case anyone is interested this is the unit I purchased - http://www.ebay.com/itm/251283578250?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Oh oh, people here dont like refurb servers so dont expect praise or anything. I learned the hard way...either way good find, let me know how the sound is.

• Locked thread