Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
The whole contest has been really cool, loads of neat ideas and a fun read.

General Ironicus posted:

Ahgrabad the Armless, by Brinty
This guy sounds like a lot of fun, a really simple but solid character. You could probably get a lot of use and laughs out of the magic hands. "Scorcing Ray Man" comes to mind for some reason.
Glad you like the idea, I always think it's fun way to start from a single simple interesting idea and then build it out as time goes by so you can let the character evolve to the feel of the game you're in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

General Ironicus posted:

:siren: Contest Feedback (part 1)

Echo, by Pyradox
Very thorough, and I'm happy to see some art in the contest. She's got a stack of mysteries to hang a plot from and has every reason to meld into a group dynamic. She even defines a setting, or at least a certain corner of one. I really like Echo.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't know if I'll ever play the character, but those are definitely things I was going for when designing her.

With that in mind, I want to give a bit of behind the scenes on how I created her that hopefully the thread will find interesting and useful, especially if they ever want to run or play in a 13th Age game. Most of my characters grow out of their One Unique Thing so that's what I'm going to focus on:

How to get the most out of your One Unique Thing

A lot of 13th Age's systems are designed to create stories and plot hooks centered around the characters, and the One Unique Thing is one of the most powerful ways for the players to influence the plot, setting and tone of the game right from the outset. The fact that the OUT isn't mechanical in nature (unless combined with a background) doesn't mean that it can't be significant or useful - in fact, it can be more useful than any mechanical ability. It is easy however to just come up with a personality trait or character summary and make that your One Unique Thing when you could be doing significantly more. The podcast's own RIP SMOULDERBOULDER was one such example when he was first created - his OUT was "always angry" which might not be common, but it's not as interesting or unique as "possessed by the spirit of a fallen dwarven berserker".

Just as backgrounds get more interesting when you tie them to an organization or event, OUTs can be made more interesting when they're as much something Unique about the setting as the character. Being the only undead with a personality isn't just a title for the character, but asks a lot of questions about why there aren't any other emotional undead, as well how an undead being gained a personality in the first place. It's a simple thing but Plaz has managed to essentially define not only his character with it but that of the Lich King as well as almost all the undead in the setting. It also has a lot of narrative weight because not only has it emphasized and defined one of the icons - one of Ironicus' primary storytelling tools, but it tells him that the nature of life and undeath are elements of the setting that Plaz is interested in exploring.

The second thing to keep in mind when coming up with a Unique Thing is: Keep it simple. Just like you want your backgrounds to be flexible so your character can do more with them, keeping your unique thing simple and open makes it a solid foundation for you to build things around. Even if your end goal is "UNLEASH THE XENOPHAGE", starting with something simple like "the only surviving astronaut" gives you as a player a lot of leverage to explain what that means ("The moon is hella weird"), which in turn gives the DM a lot of plot hooks to run with ("Elves have a space program").

As an example, the character I'm playing right now - Amadeus X. Machina is an elf born without the typical spiritual connection to the rest of elvenkind. That's pretty simple, but what really makes him unique are the implications it has - he has black, soulless eyes, feels uncanny to other elves, and the intuitive connection most elves have to nature, he has to machinery and artificial things. It all raises as many questions about the nature of elven souls as it does about him personally. At the same time it also informs the thing that makes him mechanically unique: He uses his connection to artificial things to be a powerful artificer. That's the third thing - your Unique Thing isn't mechanical, but it can inform how your character plays.

Your one Unique thing is your ultimate gimme in 13th Age. It can let you get away with anything from playing an engineer in a fantasy setting to summoning surfboards and maces from musical notes. It can't grant you the power of the Arch Mage at level one, but it can give you it one level at a time. This is why it's important to reskin your mechanics to fit your concept. If I were playing Echo I could have her be a perfect mimic because her One Unique Thing means she can't create anything of her own. If that's true (and it has to be) then of course she steals the voices of others and replicates them flawlessly. Any imperfections would be something she introduced to them, which her OUT says she can't do.

Finally, your One Unique Thing should be a driving force for your character. Scarlett's OUT is something she never asked for, so she prides herself in being an excellent wizard on her own merits. Bella's OUT led her to perfect her musical craft and coloured the entire encounter with Groat. Mint's OUT rightfully scares the hell out of him and he wants answers. The fact that this thing is unique to the setting is not just important to the DM - your character should have a reaction to it and an opinion on it. Even if its not specifically why they're adventuring, it's an influence on them that nobody else in the world has, so they should have a perspective on it that nobody else in the world has.

So to summarize: Echo's One Unique Thing is simple - She's an artificial dryad. It raises all sorts of questions about how and why she came to be that define her corner of the setting. It also informs the way she plays - she lives a stolen life so she can't create anything new, so all her abilities are things she's copied or taken from others. Lastly, it gives her motivation - She wants to create something new before she dies. By meeting all of the above criteria I can not only build her character but the setting in which she lives, the quests in which she partakes and the abilities she has access to.

You might want your Unique Things to be more subtle than these, or less influential on the world, but remember - it's what makes your character special, don't be afraid to make it big and important.

And now, an example.
What if your character was constantly on fire? What if this magical immolation was the first part of the trial to succeed the Sun God? I guess there must be a sun God now, that probably means the Priestess worships it, so your character must have some sort of relationship with her, unless they've been hiding, in which case how did they escape detection? Die the Elf Queen give them a glamour? Why would she work against the Priestess like that? Perhaps the Dark Elves hate and fear the sun God? Does this mean they're becoming too influential in her court? Perhaps they seek to prevent the character from completing the trials before midsummer's eve? What happens then? Will the sun will die and the land be bathed in perpetual moonlight? What if this is the Prince of Shadows' influence*? What does he stand to gain from eternal night? I guess the party had better watch out because he'll probably be a constant thorn in their sides as they quest to save the sun.

So there you have it - something as throwaway as being perpetually on fire can inform not only a major political struggle, the nature of the gods, the character's personal motivations, the illusionary capabilities of the elves and offer a quest you could hang an entire campaign around, while still being totally distinct from other perpetually-on-fire characters I could name (Ignus from Planescape: Torment). I hope any future Unique Things you come up with will have just as many interesting ramifications, if not more.

*Pro tip: Always ask if it's the Prince of Shadows' influence, because it always is.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Do you mind if I link this in the bonus stuff post? That's a load of really good advice. Also your picture reminded me how bad I want all those Kickstarter rewards to exist and be in my mailbox.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser
So has nobody else noticed that on Margeret's bio pic thing on the first page it says "raised by a family of famers"
And now I just see her family showing her off like "TADA THE GODS BLESSED US WITH THIS BEAUTIFUL CHILD!"
Then later it's like "Oh wait you're just an elf, gently caress that."
Also I still like how people draw her with wrinkles despite the fact that A- she's 40 and even in the real world with normal humans, jowl wrinkles don't happen that early, and B- she's an elf, so despite acting like an old lady she's more like a grumpy teenager.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

General Ironicus posted:

Do you mind if I link this in the bonus stuff post? That's a load of really good advice. Also your picture reminded me how bad I want all those Kickstarter rewards to exist and be in my mailbox.

Go ahead - it's meant as a resource so as long as it helps I'm happy. I'll probably write some more like this if I have the time, so the same policy will apply to them too.

And yeah, I get that feeling every time I go back to the 13 True Ways kickstarter page. The entire time I was making Echo I kept thinking "sure would be nice to have a druid class right now", but oh well, restrictions are good for creativity I suppose.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

You can get anything you want at malice's restaurant

TCat posted:

So has nobody else noticed that on Margeret's bio pic thing on the first page it says "raised by a family of famers"
And now I just see her family showing her off like "TADA THE GODS BLESSED US WITH THIS BEAUTIFUL CHILD!"
Also I still like how people draw her with wrinkles despite the fact that A- she's 40 and even in the real world with normal humans, jowl wrinkles don't happen that early, and B- she's an elf, so despite acting like an old lady she's more like a grumpy teenager.

margaret is old at heart and wrinkly at soul.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

General Ironicus posted:

James Evans, by ArkInBlack
Definitely one of my favorites. The disconnect between knowledge and experience is the best element of Jason Bourne, and you could either play it that way (how am I doing this!?) or the exact opposite (why can't I do this if I know exactly how!?). He has his own strong reasons for adventuring that would propel him forward in whatever quest is at hand. James is good people.
I pretty quickly worked out James' OUT, and spent a few days figuring out how to get him it. Shaping out his father's path in life got to the small town/village being overrun by a horde, which was orcs for a bit, for simple "Likes Emperor/Empire, Hates Orc Lord", but how exactly James survived that wasn't presenting itself. Using demons let the Crusader and/or his forces come in last second and slaughter the demon horde, which also saved a few stragglers. That presented more interesting things, like how James would feel about the forces of Dark Gods, and add another potential source of his OUT. I feel I could have written, well, anything about his mom, because she's brought up and then rapidly shoved out to be an objective.

This contest is the best though, like pretty much everyone's been saying. Loads of neat ideas flying around and I made a character I'm definitely gonna play at some point down the line, and someone gets a free book! What's not to like?

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.

General Ironicus posted:

Arvanian, by Mecheon
I like this one a lot as well, but rereading it I just noticed it's in the wrong category, my mistake. Only one background is very limiting (and also not square with the character creation rules) but otherwise good job. Talking to spiders is a cool way to interact with the world, and there's no guarantee the spiders will be friends, so GMs can have a lot of fun too.

Good to see it was received well. Looking at it again, I'd probably either put something about him either being easy to manipulate, or actually putting that he used to do rogue-ish stuff that I vaguely hinted at in there somewhere. But that's what I get for last minute

I'll have to pick this up when it actually finds its way out to Australia and the one RPG store I've managed to find out here

PlasmaMan posted:

margaret is old at heart and wrinkly at soul.

she was born with wrinkles. Clearly.

Alchem
Oct 28, 2007

I have to find her!

TCat posted:

I like to imagine she spends most of the morning trying to apply make-up to look less elf and more middle-aged human.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

General Ironicus posted:

Nathaniel Gadda da Vida, by Anchors
Very bare-bones write-up, but the point comes through. I don't get a sense of what he wants or why he does anything he does, but as a starting point it works and something really compelling could come from it.

Thanks for the feedback! My typical character process goes like

Step One: Defining gimmick, basically the one unique thing. In this case, the internal dichotomy and possible conflict of natural and artificial/wild and civilized.

Step Two: Basically mad libs some things that represent the concepts. Transformer robots and yard trash for Nate.

Step Three: Backstory and Motivation

Always the hard part for me. So, yeah, I didn't have too much time to put him together but even now with some more thought, giving him a concrete reason for adventuring is proving difficult. The best I can think of at the moment is just out of a sort of scared, naive curiosity about the world as he adjusts to his new-found infinite freedom and recovers from his Stockholm syndrome-esque memories of butlertude?

I always like these sorts of contests; my ability to draw stops at stick figures and awful ms-paint so the regular fan-art competitions are usually off-limits to me and reading through all the concepts is awesome.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

:siren: It's time to announce the winner!

The book goes to ArkInBlack for James Evans! Congratulations. Please send your mailing address to me via generalironicus @gmail, or whatever other method you may prefer. Please send it ASAP because I plan to send it out tomorrow morning. The sooner you claim your prize, the sooner you will have your prize.

I've already shared my thoughts on all the entries and some members of the crew also wanted to do the same for their favorites, so you'll bee seeing more feedback through the day. At the end, it will be revealed what Brinty won for Ahgrabad the Armless. What a twist! We thought it was a shame that half the great contributions were technically ineligible and came up with a prize that requires no shipping whatsoever (unless you swing that way, I don't judge). Let's all congratulate our two winners.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

It's also Update Time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4LwK9yfVkE
Episode #24-5: Smash the Snake

And now, the thrilling conclusion of our side-story. Will the swamp snake prevail? Will the wedding be saved? Does Slamby actually know how to play cards?

And let's all give another round of thanks to PublicOpinion for running this session! I will forever be jealous of your skill and passion for mapmaking.

E: I'm taking a short vacation, so someone else will be posting the next few updates. The next videos will pick up where we left off, featuring characters new and old, and showing how the Rogue Elements got that name we've been bandying about for the last few weeks.

General Ironicus fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 14, 2013

Ambisagrus
Jun 27, 2008

i am only a man
Ironicus told us to write something about the winners of the contest and our personal votes, so here I go!

My pick for the winner of the book was ArkInBlack's James Evans. I felt like memory inheritance was a really cool idea, and a lot of good could come of it. It unlocks a lot of potential for backstory, because a lot more things become plausible when your character OR his father could have done it. It also opens up a lot of interpersonal relationship stuff: what if James starts picking up personality traits of his father? What would the people that knew him think, and how would they react to that? It's just a really cool idea with a lot of potential. (Memory inheritance also plays a big part in a certain sci-fi show I've been watching a lot of - I promise that didn't influence my decision too much.)

Honestly, it was a tough call, a very close second for me was catdynamite's Aiana Kan. Aasimar are pretty underutilized, and making one into a nomadic healer type is pretty unique in an interesting way. In the same way, the Orc Lord seems to be one of the more overlooked icons, and giving her a positive relationship with an "evil" icon raises a lot of questions about the Orc Lord's nature and motivations. Maybe he's not such a bad guy after all! (It doesn't hurt that the drawings were REALLY CUTE.)

For the winner of the ineligible choices, I had to go with Brinty's Ahgrabad the Armless. I love a good unstable old wizard, and that combined with a whole lot of mage hand shenanigans is just perfect to me. I also really liked the idea of him falling apart as the campaign goes on, replacing more and more body parts with magical workarounds.

My second choice would have been ZealousQ's Jack Welch. I'm a sucker for noir stuff, and I really like the idea of a hard-boiled detective kind of guy with powers he doesn't totally understand beyond what he's meant to be using them for. I could see a self-contained session built around him (or maybe several characters with similar abilities!) being really cool.

Honorable mentions go to Kobold's Cameron O'Meer, Patchwork's Cleo, Stackblocks's Trip and Flip, and Dr. Demon's Janos, Phantom of New Port! These were all ones I really liked too. Honestly, I liked nearly all of them. You all did a great job!

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
:woop:

E-Mail's sent, holler if I missed including something in my excitement.
And then do something that will actually reach me after hollering.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

General Ironicus posted:

And let's all give another round of thanks to PublicOpinion for running this session! I will forever be jealous of your skill and passion for mapmaking.

Happy to help, and thanks for having me!

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I wasn't too happy with how my entry came out, if I were to do it again I'd probably go with a different character idea.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
13th Age looks like a lot more fun compared to 4e D&D. At least, there doesn't seem to be as much sighing.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

GeneralYeti posted:

13th Age looks like a lot more fun compared to 4e D&D. At least, there doesn't seem to be as much sighing.

:ssh: There's a reason we canceled 4e for this.

(note: do not derail this thread over this, I thought it was common knowledge)

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 15, 2013

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Really? I hope you port it over, at least....

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Ambisagrus posted:

My second choice would have been ZealousQ's Jack Welch. I'm a sucker for noir stuff, and I really like the idea of a hard-boiled detective kind of guy with powers he doesn't totally understand beyond what he's meant to be using them for. I could see a self-contained session built around him (or maybe several characters with similar abilities!) being really cool.

I actually decided to run a mystery campaign with some friends (despite no DM experience) and bought the 13th Age resources just for it. I'm really looking forward to it. I just need to find time to write a mystery.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Oh no! :smith: I really do love Syrgworld. Hopefully we revisit it someday.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

General Ironicus posted:

I've already shared my thoughts on all the entries and some members of the crew also wanted to do the same for their favorites, so you'll bee seeing more feedback through the day. At the end, it will be revealed what Brinty won for Ahgrabad the Armless. What a twist! We thought it was a shame that half the great contributions were technically ineligible and came up with a prize that requires no shipping whatsoever (unless you swing that way, I don't judge). Let's all congratulate our two winners.

psst, hey, winning buddy. congratulations. you should send some more Ahgrabad character deets to justplazokay at gmail.

or, y'know, another character's if you'd rather have art of them. what-ev!

Ahgrabad and James Evans both strike me as really fun characters, but I dunno if I could stand them just being recurring NPCs when they would be so much more interesting in the party. That was my block with a lot of entries, really; striking the right balance between interesting enough to remember but somehow unreachable enough to remain an npc/icon rather than a pc.

I was pretty divided from the rest of the chat, in the end. my first votes were Janos, the Phantom of Newport and the Baron of irons.
changing the classic phantom archetype into someone who not only occupies the sewers, but expands and improves them into a vast underground network, is a simple twist that I really like; unlike every other operatic phantom, he relishes his monstrous status rather than hate it. it's true he's limited to one city, but his tunnels are such a huge part of the city that I can easily see plot points related to them (rumors, missions, whatever) ripple out to the whole world.

as for the Baron, I am really really interested to see where an icon with no apparent supernatural or otherworldy authority can go-- every other icon is either a leader of a nation with control over otherworldy elements and vast power, and others are just straight-up magic as hell. I am a bit reluctant to go in for The Villain Of Every Piece of Media, but I think that if those stereotypes can be avoided, the baron can go places, for good or for evil, or whatever. his icon relationships are well-defined, but loose enough to be played with. my only problem is that he lacks an apparent motive besides maintaining the status quo, so if anyone were to use him I'd recommend changing that so he does not simply represent a monolithic blob of nondescript evil.

Louispul5
Oct 10, 2012

Syrg Sapphire posted:

(note: do not derail this thread over this, I thought it was common knowledge)

drat, so no more Syrg or Wolfshirt? Is Poorweather's game continuing someplace? Then there will be a sassy minotaur of some kind, at least.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

hi it's me, plaz. real quick, if you've ever wanted to fool your friends into thinking you're in this game like this (or I dunno maybe just have some cool art I GUESS), try this button from the OP!!

ikks fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 16, 2013

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

PlasmaMan posted:

hi it's me, plaz. real quick, if you've ever wanted to fool your friends into thinking you're in this game like this (or I dunno maybe just have some cool art I GUESS), try this button from the OP!!

Thanks again to plaz for doing such a great job on Archie! He's a fun character, and I love the way he turned out.

Unambiguous
Aug 17, 2012

I don't mean to derail the thread, but I do think it's important that people know that Drakkel posted this on his twitter yesterday about the 4e campaign just so people have a better understanding of what's going on.

Anyways I really like these one-off sessions that you guys do from time to time. It's always interesting to see you guys play different characters from time to time that differ completely from what you normally play. I definitley would like to see more of these pop up.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
The book has arrived, safe and sound! Ah, that new book smell. Thanks again Ironicus and Co, this contest was really fun.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I'm feeling like an absolute idiot for asking this, but has the latest side-session not been put up on the RSS/iTunes feed for a reason?

Mostly just asking because those have not updated in forever, which does give me the pleasant surprise of finding out that there's a few new youtube videos for me to watch.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Ah yes, sorry about that! Ironicus went on a trip and nobody uploaded anything in his place, oops! That said we have plenty of content waiting and we're literally recording more right now!

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Drakkel posted:

Ah yes, sorry about that! Ironicus went on a trip and nobody uploaded anything in his place, oops! That said we have plenty of content waiting and we're literally recording more right now!

No worries - that's what I figured had happened. Just wanted to make sure that the feed that I had was still the valid one.

Finally got completely caught up a week or so ago and went "waaait a minute...".

Civil Twilight
Apr 2, 2011

citybeatnik posted:

I'm feeling like an absolute idiot for asking this, but has the latest side-session not been put up on the RSS/iTunes feed for a reason?

For boring technical reasons I couldn't add the most recent session to the feed; that should be fixed real soon.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Fanart of Mint in the eldritch throes of chaos bloodfrenzy. As he gets progressively more metal, I keep thinking of him as The Fury, what with the suit and the came back from space and also the limited ability to fly. Shame the sorceror doesn't have any super impressive options for reliable fire damage.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PublicOpinion posted:

Fanart of Mint in the eldritch throes of chaos bloodfrenzy. As he gets progressively more metal, I keep thinking of him as The Fury, what with the suit and the came back from space and also the limited ability to fly. Shame the sorceror doesn't have any super impressive options for reliable fire damage.

At first I thought it was picture of the WRRYYYYYY from several sessions back

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope

MonsterEnvy posted:

At first I thought it was picture of the WRRYYYYYY from several sessions back

It's all of these things! What will that wacky elf get up to next? PublicOpinion, thank you for your strong contribution.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Man, where have all the people gone? Oh right, UPDATES! Update 25a.

In this part, the party gains a name, loses anonymity, and has a whole lot of chatting happen at once. This is where Champion Tier starts and when everything changes.

A Wooden Palisade
May 23, 2009

none of them want to fight me like you do
I'd just like to note that I'm temporarily stopping production of the videos, because only a very small subset of people were watching them and they take a lot longer to produce than just the podcasts. I intend to continue them when I can, but please understand it's not very realistic right now when it was interfering with a lot of other work I had to do! Hopefully those who enjoyed the videos can continue to enjoy the podcasts until I resume work on the videos again.

Civil Twilight
Apr 2, 2011

Podcast feed has been updated for the both the new session and the side session that was missing previously. Thank you for your patience during the period during which I failed to notice that Woodpal had uploaded the files I needed.
:negative:

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013
Oh hey there guys, welcome back. We kept the thread just the way you left it.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

Awesome, I missed this. Glad to hear Champion Tier is already off to a good start, even if the characters don't really think so.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

A Wooden Palisade posted:

I'd just like to note that I'm temporarily stopping production of the videos, because only a very small subset of people were watching them and they take a lot longer to produce than just the podcasts. I intend to continue them when I can, but please understand it's not very realistic right now when it was interfering with a lot of other work I had to do! Hopefully those who enjoyed the videos can continue to enjoy the podcasts until I resume work on the videos again.

Sorry to hear that Palisade. I find the videos a lot easier to engage with than the podcasts, so consider that a vote of support if you ever come to the decision of re-producing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Listened to the new episodes while walking downtown to get a burger. I am excited for Drakkenhall times!

Also, fanart for the knife-est guy:

• Locked thread