Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

Das Volk posted:

I wouldn't do that man, that will rankle the autism of the people who are into these cars like nothing else, myself included. Get the wheels properly reconditioned, and find a shop that isn't employing stoned teenagers.

Huh?
Maybe you misunderstood, but it allows me to take the wire wheels off, and get them done right, and still be able to drive it on the second set. Then, while I have time, I can find a place that will mount tires on them, and have them available to put on whenever I please, such as at shows etc.

Edit: And if you don't like that, well go buy one yourself :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Wire wheels are pretty easy to mount tires on, I don't see the problem. Most vintage wire wheels use tubes anyway so they're dead simple, modern ones may have sealing problems with the sleeve that seals the spokes but that's about it.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

wallaka posted:

Wire wheels are pretty easy to mount tires on, I don't see the problem. Most vintage wire wheels use tubes anyway so they're dead simple, modern ones may have sealing problems with the sleeve that seals the spokes but that's about it.

The tire shops I've been to won't mount & balance the tires on them. That's all I know.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
They're afraid they're gonna gently caress them up and it's probably pretty expensive to repair them. How do you even balance them, do you have to true the spokes like you do on a bicycle wheel?

e: Maybe try a motorcycle shop?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Like rscott said a motorcycle shop will probably mount them. Best bet is a wrecker or shop that deals with older bikes. Lots o spoked wheel experience there.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
You probably want to get them refurbished anyway. There are shops that specialize in it, you just have to find a good one and send them off. I do know that restoration can meet or exceed the cost of a new wheel.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It would be best to check with a Jaguar specific forum or owner's club. They'll know people who will mount the tyres.

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004
Beautiful find, once you get them working these old JAAAAAAGs are an absolute pleasure to drive and corner like lunatic beasts.

I mentioned your wheel conundrum to my dad, an E-type nut with a couple restorations under his belt, and his advice was to just buy reproductions from a company like Dayton if yours are at all questionable, preferably in a 6" wide version for fatter tires. Apparently the cost of rebuilding them is just not worth the hassle or money. It may be easier to find appropriate tires for a wider wheel as well.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
There you have it, two automotive life goals at once, an XKE and 13" gold Daytons.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
You guys can hate all you want, but I put these rims on for driving while I deal with the spoked rims. Also, PO had wrong size tires on it before. 6 40/15 did not translate to 185/65/R15.

Also, Aluminum radiator, surge tank, and better cooling fan are all in, and working.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hey man, do what you gotta do to drive the loving thing. Speed (even of the leisurely variety) first, class can come later.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007
Also, those don't look bad at all. Lets see it Move!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Way2slow posted:

You guys can hate all you want, but I put these rims on for driving while I deal with the spoked rims.
Those look like the type of rims C and D Types ran with in racing

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Way2slow posted:

You guys can hate all you want, but I put these rims on for driving while I deal with the spoked rims. Also, PO had wrong size tires on it before. 6 40/15 did not translate to 185/65/R15.

Also, Aluminum radiator, surge tank, and better cooling fan are all in, and working.

Frankly, I prefer that type of wheel compared to the wires. They look much more purposeful. There's a reason why no-one races an E-type with the wire wheels.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Way2slow posted:

Just look at those gorgeous acres of hood.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's beautiful. :allears:

Paint veins on it.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
There's a late XJS convertible (late enough that it has an airbag and body colour bumpers) that lives in my neighborhood that has wire wheels. :(

It makes me cry almost as much as the yellow C6 Z06 that now has scissor doors.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

drgitlin posted:

There's a late XJS convertible (late enough that it has an airbag and body colour bumpers) that lives in my neighborhood that has wire wheels. :(

It makes me cry almost as much as the yellow C6 Z06 that now has scissor doors.

There used to be a yellow C5 non-Z06 coupe in my area with wire wheels, scissor doors, chrome trim and door handles, and a GIGANTIC whale tail wing.

It was gloriously tasteless.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
It was on the road today.
The steering wheel has an almost fragile feel to it, and the rear plastic window in the rear is essentially useless (because it is so faded, can't see anything through it). Other than that, went without an issue.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Way2slow posted:

the rear plastic window in the rear is essentially useless (because it is so faded, can't see anything through it).
Try a plastic polish like Meguiar's Plast-X.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

InitialDave posted:

Try a plastic polish like Meguiar's Plast-X.

Seconded, some 2000 grit followed by some Plast-X has worked wonders for me in the past.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Toothpaste.

Not even kidding.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

IPCRESS posted:

Toothpaste.

Not even kidding.

Beat me to it. Yep he aint kidding, it works.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Toothpaste or Meg's Plast-X also works miracles on scratched CDs, saved my rear end more than once.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cat Terrist posted:

Beat me to it. Yep he aint kidding, it works.

To a point. Some things just can't be saved.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
Do try polishing, but make sure you put some kind of sealant on it after, or your efforts will quickly fade back to yellow fog.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
Tried toothpaste to no avail.
I presume if that did virtually nothing, that plastic-x will have about the same effect, would this be correct?

Fans kick on at 90 degrees C, or 194 F, and hold the temperature right there, even when sitting still. Put in a new fuel sender, gauge reflects proper fuel level now.

All that's left is to deal with the paint, interior, and shocks/bushings.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

I'd try the Meguiars thing too, prob more abrasive than toothpaste.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I had to sand down the diffuser bit on a plastic bicycle light lens. After that it was even more faded and blurry than before so I tried toothpaste. It helped a bit, but not nearly enough. So I tried metal polish and it pretty much became clear as glass. I just used a random chrome & metal paste polish and elbow grease. It's worth a shot.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
It's been said a million times, but even in slightly rough being-restored condition, the E-Type is still quite obviously one of the most beautiful cars ever put on the road.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

MrOnBicycle posted:

I had to sand down the diffuser bit on a plastic bicycle light lens. After that it was even more faded and blurry than before so I tried toothpaste. It helped a bit, but not nearly enough. So I tried metal polish and it pretty much became clear as glass. I just used a random chrome & metal paste polish and elbow grease. It's worth a shot.

I always had the best results with a can of Mothers Mag wheel polish for cleaning my cars headlights. Plastic cleaners never seemed to get them nearly as clear as the mothers stuff.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

sigtrap posted:

It's been said a million times, but even in slightly rough being-restored condition, the E-Type is still quite obviously one of the most beautiful cars ever put on the road.

Seeing it sitting there doesn't do it justice.
It runs and sounds far better than it looks. No hesitation on throttle input after I tuned it, good oil pressure, runs at proper temperature, etc.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Document this for posterity while you still can.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
The aluminum radiator and surge tank look much better in there than the stock units. They match the cam covers. They belong.

Tried Plastic-X. Helped a little, but I'm beginning to think it's beyond help. A reconditioned/new (the fabric & plastic) is going to be required.

Way2slow fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 18, 2013

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Take some glamour shots already.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

God drat that engine looks awesome!

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

God drat that engine looks awesome!

I was just thinking the same thing.

I see this beautiful car and am envious, and then I remember what happened to Richard Hammond's immaculate e-type on the Ultimate Road Trip Top Gear special (spoiler: it broke down.)

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

Veeb0rg posted:

I always had the best results with a can of Mothers Mag wheel polish for cleaning my cars headlights. Plastic cleaners never seemed to get them nearly as clear as the mothers stuff.

That's what I've used for years as well. It really does work well.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Backov posted:

I was just thinking the same thing.

I see this beautiful car and am envious, and then I remember what happened to Richard Hammond's immaculate e-type on the Ultimate Road Trip Top Gear special (spoiler: it broke down.)

These cars (and engines) are not unreliable, certainly not any more than any other 1960's car. That this engine was used right up to the early '90s is testament to Jaguar getting the basic design right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_XK6_engine

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Way2slow posted:

Those wheels look cool as hell. Also, wouldn't it be cheaper to just replace the entire top instead of just the plastic window? You can replace an entire top yourself, but it's nearly impossible to just replace a plastic window and most shops would charge you more to stitch a new one in than what a replacement top would cost. Of course with this car I have no clue, could be the opposite if replacement tops are hard to get or expensive as hell.

• Locked thread