Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

ZeeToo posted:

I could happily rant about SCP for a while, but instead I'm just going to say that I really enjoyed Lowtax's LP of the game. Actually that goes for all of these. Lowtax and Shmorky (and Mike Nelson) have a really good feel for exactly how long a game can last without wearing out its welcome or feeling incomplete.
Thank you, I appreciate it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
So, is there a way to progress beyond that point? Can you exit through the door, or do you just have to find a way to survive long enough until someone rescues you from the poopy baby monster?

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Jamesman posted:

The Typist is no Mavis Beacon, that's for drat sure.

DEAR MISS LOWTAX. COLON.

PARAGRAPH.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

CharlestonJew posted:

So, is there a way to progress beyond that point? Can you exit through the door, or do you just have to find a way to survive long enough until someone rescues you from the poopy baby monster?
Yes you can get out and then get killed by various other glitches, smoke monsters, and invisible electrical insta-death poo poo. It's actually all downhill from the Bloody Poop Baby.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.

CharlestonJew posted:

I've seen this game before and honestly it seemed odd when lowtax died the second time, I'm pretty sure the poopie babie shouldn't have been able to get to him that fast from the door, since you know he was looking directly at it.

In short its a weird buggy game, only of note due to being slightly novel

copy
Jul 26, 2007

You two are consistently doing the best lps for games that pass for internet scary. Thank you for taking back lovely games from screamy, man-child, college dropouts who think wildly shaking the camera while screaming portmanteaus of types of food and the word "poo poo" is the height of entertainment. It's like every other lp of these kinds of games were directed by Michael Bay or something.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I am constantly impressed by the poo poo you guys manage to find on the internet.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

copy posted:

You two are consistently doing the best lps for games that pass for internet scary. Thank you for taking back lovely games from screamy, man-child, college dropouts who think wildly shaking the camera while screaming portmanteaus of types of food and the word "poo poo" is the height of entertainment. It's like every other lp of these kinds of games were directed by Michael Bay or something.
Because "freaking out and acting like an insane person undergoing electroshock therapy" is apparently a very popular and very easy way to rack up the ol' Youtube subscriber numbers. There's a whole bunch of idiots who play these "scary" games and freak out on their lame scare-o-vision cams, because that's the crap that gets passed around and racks up the big buck$$$$$$$$$

Case exhibit #1: http://www.youtube.com/user/markiplierGAME

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
I was trolling around that wiki and I found this.

what? posted:

SCP-The Nightmare Continues is a mod produced by user Isaiah_TW5 based on [DATA EXPUNGED]. The setting is inside Site-30-2 and details the escape of Slenderman with the aid of Zalgo.
The mod was originally going to be aimed towards Brony fans of the SCP series hence originally having SCP-106 be Discord. The idea was dropped in favour of making an SCP/CreepyPasta mod. Many original files still remain but much of them are PonyPasta images such as the images used for SCP-895.

:psyduck:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

prahanormal posted:

That cannot be real. Someone just took a Markov chain generator to GBS and posted the first thing that popped out.

... right? :ohdear:

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

prahanormal posted:

They could have expunged much more data there, like the entire thing.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
This is apparently the fifth most popular SCP page: http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1981

It's a VHS recording of Ronald Reagan turning into a zombie and talking about 9/11. I'm not kidding.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That sounds pretty cool.

Kelsing
Oct 24, 2010

Did you see that, Zach?

Lowtax posted:

This is apparently the fifth most popular SCP page: http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1981

It's a VHS recording of Ronald Reagan turning into a zombie and talking about 9/11. I'm not kidding.

Alzheimer's is a terrible thing to go through.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Replace poop baby with it and I'll be all over that game.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Kelsing posted:

Alzheimer's is a terrible thing to go through.
If only they had made "Good Elderly" back in 1983...

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Lowtax posted:

:psyboom:

I...didn't even read that entire thing. I couldn't.

This is that mirror one I was talking about. I still think it's a decent story, but if that's any indication I think the site has gone waaaay downhill since the last time I actively read it. Which was years ago, really.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Did you secure SCP after shutting it down? Did you contain it within a folder? Is it protected by your antivirus program?

I've tried to show some friends these videos but they claim to not believe that such games exist. They think that you made all of them.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

How do you continue living any kind of fulfilling life after being exposed to people like this?

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Lowtax posted:

"Bonzoooooo...I want to eat your braaaaaaaaain..."

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I skimmed over the word Zalgo there somewhere and now I wonder if Shmorky ever feels guilt over his personal contribution to the "scare dumb internet teens"-industry.

Also, the thread title is highly inaccurate unless you play Big Rigs: Over The Road Racing.

It is not only the worst game ever to have been sold for money but also a money laundering operation by the russian mafia. Also the guy also made War Z.

Time Traveler
Aug 16, 2011

I don't make promises that I can't keep.

Trundel posted:

I've tried to show some friends these videos but they claim to not believe that such games exist. They think that you made all of them.

Ahahaha, you actually fell for it? Look at this goofball!

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

quakster posted:

Also, the thread title is highly inaccurate unless you play Big Rigs: Over The Road Racing.

It is not only the worst game ever to have been sold for money but also a money laundering operation by the russian mafia.

Wait, what? I ha e not seen this accusation before

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Lowtax posted:

Because "freaking out and acting like an insane person undergoing electroshock therapy" is apparently a very popular and very easy way to rack up the ol' Youtube subscriber numbers. There's a whole bunch of idiots who play these "scary" games and freak out on their lame scare-o-vision cams, because that's the crap that gets passed around and racks up the big buck$$$$$$$$$

Boy I guess hearing their lovely dork voices isn't enough to keep people satisfied so we gotta watch their dork faces contort in forced-horror. I am pretty shocked that the face-cam thing is still popular. Like at least when that guy did the foot-cam it was to prove that he was, in fact, playing Super Mario 64 with his feet. Is the scare cam to prove that their stupid comes out of their mouths?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

copy posted:

Boy I guess hearing their lovely dork voices isn't enough to keep people satisfied so we gotta watch their dork faces contort in forced-horror. I am pretty shocked that the face-cam thing is still popular. Like at least when that guy did the foot-cam it was to prove that he was, in fact, playing Super Mario 64 with his feet. Is the scare cam to prove that their stupid comes out of their mouths?

Some people think watching people freak out over games is funny. Also there's the draw of *internet celebrity*

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

whowhatwhere posted:

Wait, what? I ha e not seen this accusation before
It's a joke. Wouldn't be surprised for a single second if it turned out to be true, though.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Lowtax posted:

Poopie Bloody Baby

Here's a thing I found thanks to all of you:

quakster posted:

I skimmed over the word Zalgo there somewhere and now I wonder if Shmorky ever feels guilt over his personal contribution to the "scare dumb internet teens"-industry.

I'm not Shmorky, but I've helped make horrible internet memes a thing and yes, there is much guilt and shame involved.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Too bad the game didn't have next gen graphics or you could see how terrifying poopy baby truly is.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Galick posted:

:psyboom:

I...didn't even read that entire thing. I couldn't.

Yeah, I started reading it, then a couple paragraphs in I had to stop and check to make sure I wasn't having a stroke.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Maremidon posted:

Some people think watching people freak out over games is funny. Also there's the draw of *internet celebrity*

It's also easier to draw lovely fan art to masturbate to if you already know what they look like. Google pewdiepie fanart if you wanna die.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
That SCP that's a machine that turns things into other things based on vague settings is pretty cool, if only because it'd be fun to dick around with.

I mean, half the entries are "I put my pen in there and it made it a super awesome pen like Steve Jobs would have had," or "we put a toaster in there and it turned into toaster parts."

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.
The one thing I've learned from all of these horrifying games: If you want to make something scary, plaster Slenderman all over it.

SCP Euclid Poop Baby not doing it for you? Throw a suit and tie on that thing, bam! Horror!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I've always wondered how people afraid of Slenderman shop for clothes.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I've always wondered how people afraid of Slenderman shop for clothes.
They buy all of their clothes at Hot Topic, and Slenderman has all of his suits hand-tailored.

Slenderman does own a "You laugh because I'm different" shirt, but it's ironic.

Kate Hate
Aug 26, 2006

relaxing after a hard day's rape

Lowtax posted:

But he doesn't even look scared, he's just...screaming. My 15 year old brother watches poo poo like this and loves all the Slender Man BS and ugh I can't stand it.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Thanks Lowtax, that gem of education flew past me

Lowtax posted:

I'm convinced that this poo poo works because it gets watched by actual children, or people that never really left the mental state of a child. It operates in roughly the same lane as popular kids shows like Barney or The Teletubbies do. Sensory stimulation and general wackiness to the fullest. It's the human equivalent of jingling keys in front of a cat.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

FactsAreUseless posted:

They buy all of their clothes at Hot Topic, and Slenderman has all of his suits hand-tailored.

Slenderman does own a "You laugh because I'm different" shirt, but it's ironic.

That's actually hand-done and custom too, his is "You Laugh Because I'm Slender, I Laugh Because I Killed You In Vague Ways".

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The worst thing about SCP is generally not even the SCP's themselves, which are occasionally actually the kind of interesting-and-mildly-worrying objects that you could put in, say, a cleverly designed or GM'd RPG. The horrible thing is all the commentary associated with them, because they've turned into this horrible Mary Sue-filled roleplaying mess that, at one point, ate up like 50% of the loving SCP wiki.

Of course some of the SCP's are also part of this poo poo. One is, or at least was(they massively purged the worst poo poo off of the wiki some time back), no poo poo, a brooding vampire with a katana, someone's goddamn DeviantArt original character, written without a shred of self-awareness as though it was the coolest thing ever. There's also one that, oh Christ I feel greasy for even remembering it, but it's basically a giant sea monster that eats people, then tries to impregnate them while they're in its guts, turning them into monster-filled zombies, and the associated "mission log" has a guy who goes in there, gets infected, then rapes and impregnates another SCP Foundation employee, and she goes on about how now she totally wants to be with him and have his evil monster baby... and of course every single comment on said log was about how OMG THIS IS SO ROMANTIC it was.

gently caress the whole SCP thing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Pretty much any halfway interesting thing on the internet involving either pop culture (TV Tropes) or making poo poo up (DeviantArt, SCP... and also TV Tropes) eventually gets co-oped by gross shut-ins and their sick fantasies. It's because pop culture and fantasy are the only two things these people have going on in their lives, and sites like SCP are outlets for whatever garbage is milling around in their brains. So they unleash it on the site, then other shut-ins read it and squawk about how it's "the best thing ever" in a big hugging circle, each of them jerking the other's ego off until the site becomes nothing but rape fantasies and ponies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

The whole mythology comes across as really halfassed to me. Like the creators had some good ideas but they didn't want to put the effort in exploring them and just wrote the whole thing off as being "mysterious and ambiguous". Not to say you can't make it work with the horror genre (Alien, for example) but when you're dealing with a scientific organization that found/created a vaginafaced gingerbread poo poo baby...yknow throw me a bone or two.

• Locked thread