Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I'm going to be on painkillers from a minor surgery and bored out of my mind for the next few days so I decided to tackle a new pack. I'm going with a modified FTB Unhinged (GregTech) because I've never had the patience to deal with GT grind before but I've always been jealous of the machines. I took it and added in some goodies like Treecap, ComputerCraft (with OCCS, OP, and MP of course,) BiblioCraft, Binnie Core (ExtraBees/ExtraTrees), Damage Indicators, and Thaumcraft/ThaumicTinker. If anyone wants to try this out I could throw it on the technic platform and I'll be hosting a server for it.

Mostly I just want to centrifuge some lava.

Edit: Oh god I actually had to hexedit GregTech to get it to load from the technic launcher.

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirithil
May 31, 2013

Fruit Chewy posted:

Edit: Oh god I actually had to hexedit GregTech to get it to load from the technic launcher.

Yeah, this is a thing that happens.

Also, sweet, I got #8 on the top poster list from the last thread.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I wanted to thank the folks in this thread for talking me into giving Tinkers Construct another shot. It really is a lot of fun once you get down to it. I guess I was overwhelmed by the options I didn't quite understand and was worried about resources.
The only gripe I have with it now is that you can't use any Tinkers Construct weapons with Asgard Shields. And those shields are really good. They've made fighting skeletons go from an aggravating chore to a fun battle of reflex and skill. A TC weapon would be great, especially with the variety of types you can get, but I just don't think it would be worth giving up shields. So for now I'm sticking with just tinkering tools.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Vib Rib posted:

I wanted to thank the folks in this thread for talking me into giving Tinkers Construct another shot. It really is a lot of fun once you get down to it. I guess I was overwhelmed by the options I didn't quite understand and was worried about resources.
The only gripe I have with it now is that you can't use any Tinkers Construct weapons with Asgard Shields. And those shields are really good. They've made fighting skeletons go from an aggravating chore to a fun battle of reflex and skill. A TC weapon would be great, especially with the variety of types you can get, but I just don't think it would be worth giving up shields. So for now I'm sticking with just tinkering tools.

Try the longsword. Hold down right click for a second then release for a short hop and then 5-10 seconds (can't remember how long) of running at increased speed. It's not a shield but its great for fleeing creepers or closing the ground between you and Skeletons. Also for just covering distance. Personally I'm not even using a "weapon" as a weapon, I just carry a mining hammer and watch as it slaughters undead in 2-3 hits due to the fact it does double damage versus undead (which consist of the majority of hostile enemies you'll see).

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Alkydere posted:

Try the longsword. Hold down right click for a second then release for a short hop and then 5-10 seconds (can't remember how long) of running at increased speed. It's not a shield but its great for fleeing creepers or closing the ground between you and Skeletons. Also for just covering distance. Personally I'm not even using a "weapon" as a weapon, I just carry a mining hammer and watch as it slaughters undead in 2-3 hits due to the fact it does double damage versus undead (which consist of the majority of hostile enemies you'll see).

The battleaxe is a pretty awesome non-weapon weapon as well, and it's useful for those Natura trees that won't treecap, since it always cuts 1x9 when you break wood with it. (It also has that speed boost right-click like the longsword.)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The problem isn't just the distance. When you're up close they fire even faster. Being able to switch between attacks and defensive blocks with no knockback totally changes up how skeleton fights work. I think I'd prefer to just keep the TC stuff to the tools until the mods become compatible, if they ever do.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Skyden looks really interesting, is it up on the Technic Launcher platform or do I need to DL and install it separately?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Someone put it up here - http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/skyden-pack - this isn't an official version put up by Vib Rib or anything, but I'm using it and it works just fine. It even comes with the map savefile, so you don't need to do anything other than mash go.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Mzbundifund posted:

Someone put it up here - http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/skyden-pack - this isn't an official version put up by Vib Rib or anything, but I'm using it and it works just fine. It even comes with the map savefile, so you don't need to do anything other than mash go.

I believe this version is not the latest patch though - at least, I had the teleportation issues mentioned with the little slime dude.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Is there a good 32x texture pack that has support for most/all of Hexxit? I usually use Soartex, but going through its patcher, there's a lot of mods it doesn't have support for, and so my Hexxit game is a mash of the gorgeous Soartex textures and the hideous vanilla-level textures.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

Alright, better question. Does the tekkit launcher run seperately from the install? If I put skyden over everything, will I then need to do a fresh install of MC if I switch to something on there?

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Saxophone posted:

Alright, better question. Does the tekkit launcher run seperately from the install? If I put skyden over everything, will I then need to do a fresh install of MC if I switch to something on there?

Technic essentially makes a separate installation of Minecraft for each modpack and is separate from your actual MC install too. So no.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Are there any good resources for learning to make minecraft mods? The extent of my programming knowledge is 'I took a college course once' and 'my friend yelled at me for a while about how Java is the best thing ever'. :v:

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Tsurupettan posted:

Are there any good resources for learning to make minecraft mods? The extent of my programming knowledge is 'I took a college course once' and 'my friend yelled at me for a while about how Java is the best thing ever'. :v:

I don't know if there's anything specific but if I was going to try I would refresh my basic Java knowledge and then comb through some of the better open source mods and Forge API documentation.

Bond697
Dec 22, 2008

Tsurupettan posted:

Aside from obviously learning Java, this website lists which mods are open source:

http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/List_of_Open_Source_Forge_Mods

Reading through some of those is really your best bet.

Bond697 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 27, 2013

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Tsurupettan posted:

Havvy's Tutorial gets recommended a lot. You'll learn a lot looking through other mods' source too, like Fruit Chewy recommended, but Havvy's will get you set up with a starting point to work from.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Before i was quietly swayed away from it, Machinemuse gave me these resources for my ideas:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Pahimar?feature=watch

http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Generic_Mod

http://www.scala-lang.org/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XuTVfjRTtE

I make no claimes as to if she ever used said resources or would suggest them now, but here we go anyway. :colbert:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I've not played Minecraft at all in a good while and I was wondering why the OP says that RedPower 2 is dead? I did a little googling and didnt see anything regarding this. Did Elo finally get tired of whiny babbys harassing her about why she didnt update faster?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

vulturesrow posted:

I've not played Minecraft at all in a good while and I was wondering why the OP says that RedPower 2 is dead? I did a little googling and didnt see anything regarding this. Did Elo finally get tired of whiny babbys harassing her about why she didnt update faster?

She released like one update in the past year, and the vast majority of RP2's functionality has now been replicated more efficiently by newer mods.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Yeah, MFR does it faster and better and with less ~mod drama~

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So Azanor has uploaded a video which I guess details how he intends research to work now. Seems pretty interesting and looks a hell of a lot better than more or less injecting a ton of resources into a desk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3dgIfOQaU8

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Enzer posted:

So Azanor has uploaded a video which I guess details how he intends research to work now. Seems pretty interesting and looks a hell of a lot better than more or less injecting a ton of resources into a desk.

As long as he doesn't make it so the Thaumometer runs out of durability, this new system seems...actually fun?

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Yeah, I really like that idea. Looks much less tedious.

Plus it reminds me of that old alchemy flash game, which I wasted so many hours on.

Lagonazer
Jan 3, 2012

Come here friends.
Hug me! Oh yeah. Hug me.
Doodle God was a very addictive flash game. Hopefully the new thaumcraft research is much less tedious and boring than the current system. Researching magic stuff was interesting the first time around, but the fatigue from pressing buttons for so long was not.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

RaspberryCommie posted:

Plus it reminds me of that old alchemy flash game, which I wasted so many hours on.

He supposedly cited that as his inspiration in some IRC channel too.

Definitely seems a lot less tedious.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

thelightguy posted:

Yeah, MFR does it faster and better and with less ~mod drama~

Cool thanks. I see a lot has been added to MFR since I last played. Pretty cool.

Sirithil
May 31, 2013

vulturesrow posted:

Cool thanks. I see a lot has been added to MFR since I last played. Pretty cool.
Also, Redstone in Motion by jakj is your new go-to for frameships.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Sirithil posted:

Would this mod work well enough to make elevators for my base, or is the frame motion too much of a problem like RP2's was?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

taiyoko posted:

Is there a good 32x texture pack that has support for most/all of Hexxit? I usually use Soartex, but going through its patcher, there's a lot of mods it doesn't have support for, and so my Hexxit game is a mash of the gorgeous Soartex textures and the hideous vanilla-level textures.

I think the texture pack with the highest compatibility is probably Sphax.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
You should throw dart craft up there in the mod list. It's a tad OP but still super fun. You can have a pickaxe that pulverizes ore on the spot, some engines that do 8 mj/tick with water and force going into them among other things.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1686840-151-152-dartcraft-beta-0118/

Edit: also a wrench that lets you move MFE's and such and still keep the energy. Also it can grab spawners, chest, any block really and let you move it without impunity.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 28, 2013

Bond697
Dec 22, 2008
I put together a Sphax BD 128x texture pack that handles most of Hexxit and a lot of of the other mods I've added to Hexxit. In the pack are:

Backpack
DimDoors
EE3
ExtrabiomesXL
Immibis
Ironchests
Legend Gear
Millenaire
Harken Scythe
Natura
Pam's Harvestcraft
Pam's Wee! Flowers
Thaumcraft
Thermal Expansion
Tinker's Construct
Ender Storage
NEI
Artifice(marble/basalt, m/b cobble, m/b bricks) - ripped from the Sphax Red Power patch
Soul Shards
Enchanting Plus
Bibliocraft
Twilight Forest
Xeno's Reliquary
Chococraft
Coral Reef Mod (64x)
Buildcraft

-It also uses the night sky from a special version of Dokucraft that was posted in the last iteration of this thread that I thought was cooler than the normal Sphax one.

You can just delete the mods you don't use from the "mods" folder in the zip file. Also, if you use the whole thing and start to get Minecraft crashes due to OpenGL, just delete some of the mods in the texture pack until they stop happening. My computer can't handle all of them, so I cut out Tinker's Construct because the 128x pack for it is huge and everything seemed to work again.

http://www.thundaga.com/Sphax128_MatHexxit.zip

Bond697 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 28, 2013

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Enzer posted:

It definitely seems like a combination of the old EE system where you had to catalog each block one time, and Doodle God. It seems more focused on getting a variety of resources than just stockpiling them, so more reason to get a diverse collection of exotic resources (without having to spend it all) than to just dump stacks of trapdoors and seeds into the table.
Definitely looking forward to this new system.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."
Some folks on the Toast server have discovered that there seems to be a limit to the number of particle accelerators you can have on one server at one time. If you go over this limit, when you turn on the new accelerator, the actual "Particle Accelerator" block disappears. I don't see anything in the various Universal Electricity config files about it, and there's nothing in the log that suggests this would be the result of an error. Has anyone encountered this issue before, and if so, do you know a way around it?

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

straw man posted:

Some folks on the Toast server have discovered that there seems to be a limit to the number of particle accelerators you can have on one server at one time. If you go over this limit, when you turn on the new accelerator, the actual "Particle Accelerator" block disappears. I don't see anything in the various Universal Electricity config files about it, and there's nothing in the log that suggests this would be the result of an error. Has anyone encountered this issue before, and if so, do you know a way around it?

I don't know in particular about that limit, but I did profile our server while someone had a particle accelerator running and the particle itself caused *massive* CPU usage because it does a lot of collision detection checks. So I would highly recommend limiting yourself w.r.t. to those.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Any idea why my AE networks keep breaking? It seems like the ME cables won't hook up to the ones already placed down. I can break them all and replace them and it will work, but when I relog it breaks again.

kerpow
Jan 13, 2006

Sirithil posted:

I installed this on a vanilla tekkit install and holy poo poo. This is the most amazing mod ever. It is much, much easier to use than Red Power frames and at least as powerful.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

kerpow posted:

I installed this on a vanilla tekkit install and holy poo poo. This is the most amazing mod ever. It is much, much easier to use than Red Power frames and at least as powerful.

Any chance this will find its way into Toast Crunchy?

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

mechaet posted:

Any chance this will find its way into Toast Crunchy?

Just suggested it in the PGS thread.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
Anyone using the Toast pack having trouble finding the appropriate 'decorative tin' block used to construct space stations? The only block I can seem to find (aside from the ones that spawn with the station) has some weird lines on the top and sides and overall doesn't look very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

Anyone using the Toast pack having trouble finding the appropriate 'decorative tin' block used to construct space stations? The only block I can seem to find (aside from the ones that spawn with the station) has some weird lines on the top and sides and overall doesn't look very good.

Mess around with where you place the tin, it affects the output result. You'll want to do it with a crafting table. I don't remember which set will give you what you want, but it doesn't show up in NEI.

• Locked thread