Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Doesn't breeding a gold Chocobo take forever? Still seems like my best option right now, especially since I had no idea they could go through portals.
I've never been able to get a Chocobo to go through a nether portal. You can find purple ones in the nether that should be able to fly and are also fire resistant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

chrisf posted:

I've never been able to get a Chocobo to go through a nether portal. You can find purple ones in the nether that should be able to fly and are also fire resistant.

Safari nets are pretty awesome for hauling chocobos through portals and mystcraft books.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Inacio posted:

Coming soon on InacioPack 2.0

I know you're trying to build hype for your modpack, but putting actual information in your posts would be nice instead of the drive-by "hey InacioPack exists" that you always seem to post. For that matter, filling out your mod list on Technic would be nice so that people don't have to go to Pastebin to view a categorized list.

That's why Technic lets you list your mods.

Mutamu
Aug 10, 2011

He's Doctor, (pause), Doctor Shark!

Glory of Arioch posted:

Safari nets are pretty awesome for hauling chocobos through portals and mystcraft books.

But as MFR isn't in hexxit, aren't an option. :v:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Hm, Toast actually works now, at least after the initial chunks load. Cool.

So, could I have some tips on what power grid to make in the early game and how to progress it?

thevortex-
Apr 12, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

I know you're trying to build hype for your modpack, but putting actual information in your posts would be nice instead of the drive-by "hey InacioPack exists" that you always seem to post. For that matter, filling out your mod list on Technic would be nice so that people don't have to go to Pastebin to view a categorized list.

That's why Technic lets you list your mods.

platform should automatically do this if you are using solder to handle versioning for your mods. is inacio pack still functioning as a single zip download? I can imagine that being a heavy drain on hosting having to redownload the entire archive for each incremental update :(

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Vib Rib posted:

Doesn't breeding a gold Chocobo take forever? Still seems like my best option right now, especially since I had no idea they could go through portals.

I admit I'm just assuming they can; I thought all mobs could go through portals, even mod ones.
If they can't go through portals, they might be able to go through dimensional doors. I'll try tonight and see.

Edit: And yeah Chocobo breeding can be a major pain in the rear end, so I can understand not wanting to deal with it.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

thevortex- posted:

platform should automatically do this if you are using solder to handle versioning for your mods. is inacio pack still functioning as a single zip download? I can imagine that being a heavy drain on hosting having to redownload the entire archive for each incremental update :(

Couldn't get any help on setting up Solder, so yes. It is :(

It's one of the things that bums me out the most about the pack, actually

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009

dijon du jour posted:

Short answer: because they're girls.

Long answer: when designing the models for a species that has "male" and "female" forms, the easiest way to create a visual distinction between the two "genders" in a way you know 100% of the audience will immediately recognize is by introducing the presence or absence of breasts.

Medium answer: as long as the mod author doesn't seem outwardly pervy and there's no jiggle physics, I'm not too concerned about it.

They could just do it the way vanilla minecraft differentiates between males and females (it doesn't). Just let any two adult sim-U-folks get it on. It's LGBT friendly AND it doesn't involve creepy objectification of cube-breasted women.

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009

chrisf posted:

I've not been able to ride one through (you take suffocation damage and get pushed out), but I've pushed them through. I find chocobo movement choppy though, so I don't really use them. Scale armor provides immunity to lava, so I wear that and can be very cavalier about safety which makes movement pretty easy. If you don't fear fire, you don't need to worry about mining into lava, which makes tunneling and bridging much faster.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Thanks for the reality check, folks.

I guess I just got so worried about dumbing things down for the type of people who'd skip that stuff that I got preoccupied thinking they were the target audience. But they're everywhere and there's probably nothing I could do to stop them. No matter how simple I made it they'd end up blasting through it one way or another, so best to just build for people who'll actually appreciate the map. Like you guys said, those are the people who I should be building this map for. It is a challenge map after all.
The problem with books is there's nothing interesting about them. What you need to do is trick people into reading by making them think reading is fun. For example, instead of just having a book in a chest, you could have a computer craft monitor that talks to the player in the world. It doesn't pull the player out of the world like a book does, and it doesn't look like a 4th wall game message like chat text does. It's also easier to follow than a bunch of signs next to each other.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Mzbundifund posted:

The trick with 2x2 jungle trees is that they need space on all sides for the vines on them to spawn, so you actually need a 4x4 ring of air around the 2x2 square of saplings (and up) before you use the bonemeal. If you're like me and like to throw torches everywhere, that's probably the problem.

Ah yep, that's it exactly. Had torches on the diagonals.

Sir Lucius posted:

The problem with books is there's nothing interesting about them. What you need to do is trick people into reading by making them think reading is fun. For example, instead of just having a book in a chest, you could have a computer craft monitor that talks to the player in the world. It doesn't pull the player out of the world like a book does, and it doesn't look like a 4th wall game message like chat text does. It's also easier to follow than a bunch of signs next to each other.

Oh poo poo that gives me an idea - Mystcraft portals to turotial void zones instead of just a regular old book, assuming that Mystcraft is even workable these days?

Pidmon fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 1, 2013

Squirrelo
Mar 3, 2008

Inacio posted:

Couldn't get any help on setting up Solder, so yes. It is :(

It's one of the things that bums me out the most about the pack, actually

PM me if you need help. I'll be a bit sketch on internet connection for today and tomorrow, but after that I can help.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

This is my first sorta serious foray in Mekanism's power and...

Nah. There's gotta be some catch. It can't be this easy. Low effort, self-sustaining, what am I missing here? I don't know how equitable their power output is compared to, say, magmatic engines though. Maybe they're just less power generation? Anyone know how these compare to using TE's power?

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
The catch is mekanism is laggy poo poo. It's nice cheap start up power and cabling, but every time your generator goes empty you'll feel it refilling, and more generators just compound the problem.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Tsurupettan posted:

Nah. There's gotta be some catch. It can't be this easy. Low effort, self-sustaining, what am I missing here? I don't know how equitable their power output is compared to, say, magmatic engines though. Maybe they're just less power generation? Anyone know how these compare to using TE's power?

Three things about that setup - first, you're better off using Thermal Expansion's Aqueous Accumulator, as it doesn't draw power to produce water, second, TE's redstone energy conduit is more expensive but produces less lag than Mek's universal cable, and third, each hydrogen generator/electrolyzer combo only produces 10MJ/t (in Buildcraft MJ) after enough is taken out to power the electrolyzer.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
10mj/t with zero upkeep is pretty nice in the beginning when all you're running is a pulverizer and a furnace, but once you get a decent size AE setup and multiple machines running you'll want to move to something with more oomph.

Hydrogens used to put out 100mj/t and that was crazy.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Thanks you two. :) Yeah I know about using TE's stuff. I leaned pretty heavily on TE last time and I wanted to try out alternate power/technology solutions just for the sake of it. Are we talking server-crushing lag or just frame lag? I don't mind the latter.

10 MJ/t doesn't seem too bad. I had a setup of 20 magmatic engines last time. It'd take 8 of these to match that. However, it'll also take up much more space unless I came up with an efficient solution. My magmatic engine setup was really compact.

However, if I'm going to poo poo the server up with lag I'll happily incorporate TE to reduce lag, as I put the server above my own little personal 'challenge'.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
It used to be server crushing lag, but only when the generators dipped below full and had to refill themselves. I couldn't say what it's like now, but I wouldn't expect much better. Mekanism is a neat mod, but it's also a huge hunk of poo poo that gets broken as much as it gets fixed.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Just updated a few things and removed/added a few things, nothing major.

Also did a lot of config editing.

Still have some space for anyone that wants to join. PM, IRC, or whatever.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Tsurupettan posted:

Nah. There's gotta be some catch. It can't be this easy. Low effort, self-sustaining, what am I missing here?

Scale.

Then eventualy:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Tsurupettan posted:

Thanks you two. :) Yeah I know about using TE's stuff. I leaned pretty heavily on TE last time and I wanted to try out alternate power/technology solutions just for the sake of it. Are we talking server-crushing lag or just frame lag? I don't mind the latter.

I tried Mekanism's bioreactor a couple weeks out to produce reliable power when mixed with Farmcraft's auto-farm. On one hand the setup was able to easily power a 9x9 potato farm (planter, harvester, composter, fertilizer, sludge furnace) as well as some basic smelting industry (pulverizer, induction furnace, some powered furnaces). In the end it failed for two reasons:

1) I could not get the compactor providing the biofuel pellets to feed into a buildcraft pipe. It would take inputs from transport pipes but would not output to them, meaning it had to be unloaded by hand and then fed into the reactor.

2) Holy hell, Mekanism's machinery is loud.

On the plus side I noticed that Universal cable will power wooden transport pipes like Redstone engines, which makes things easier and a bit better looking in my mind.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Alkydere posted:

1) I could not get the compactor providing the biofuel pellets to feed into a buildcraft pipe. It would take inputs from transport pipes but would not output to them, meaning it had to be unloaded by hand and then fed into the reactor.

A wood pipe wouldn't extract? Did you try setting the sides with the configurator?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Having not used it myself, I don't understand Big Reactors entirely. Wouldn't that setup eat a ridiculous amount of the 'fuel' ore? And that ore has to be dug up, it's not a renewable resource.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
It's actually semi-renewable, at a 2-to-1 ratio: Reactor makes Cyanite ingots, that can then be converted to Blutonium, and put back into the reactor. So it's not as bad as it seems.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

This is really compact and incredibly impressive. Awesome.

Also I kind of like Mekanism's sound and at the very least the volume rapidly tapers off. :shobon:

e: What is the white machine at the far end of the picture on the end of the liquiduct? I initially assumed it was an aqueous accumulator but it doesn't look like one. I'm gonna copy this but extend it.

e2: vvv Yep, just checked the block out in game and it matches. Thanks.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 2, 2013

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That looks like a Buildcraft Pump. It requires a tiny amount of power but I think it outputs more water than an Aqueous Accumulator.

It can also operate all fluids, not just water.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So with 1.6.2 out, what's the go to Magic & Tech pack?

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

Vib Rib posted:

Having not used it myself, I don't understand Big Reactors entirely. Wouldn't that setup eat a ridiculous amount of the 'fuel' ore? And that ore has to be dug up, it's not a renewable resource.

You can also throttle the reactor by increasing the control rods' insertion (the blocks on top with white dots; right-click 'em for a UI). The further in the control rod, the more that particular column's energy generation (and hence fuel consumption) is suppressed.

So you can throttle down your baseline load and then, if you need to run some kind of high-power/high-draw intermittent process, throttle up when needed.

This'll all be easier with 0.2, as you'll be able to manage the control rods via RedNet.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

It doesn't seem that any(?) modpacks are updating to 1.6.2 most seem to be on 1.5.x at the moment.

Go to Magic pack would be Hexxit.
Go to Tech pack would be Tekkit, Bigdig or Toast, depending on which selection of mods tickles your fancy. The latest iteration of Tekkit has a spaceship theme.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Turtlicious posted:

I don't believe Technic is compatible with 1.6.2 yet.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.
Shukaro I'm having a problem updating Artifice on the server can you get on irc?

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

I know this was a page ago, but regarding the creepiness of sim-u-craft:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Why do they need to 3D-model the boobs? Why? There are plenty of players who use female skins on the default model and don't need two cubes jutting out of their chests.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I decided to give him some feedback on that on... ugh... facebook.

Oh! A reply:

quote:

I'd agree with you on the player marrying the NPCs too and shelved that idea, I was going to add it to the last update, but as you've mentioned, it either wouldn't work, or would be very hard to implement, just way too many variables! I think it's better for the player to lead the community, rather than play as one of them.

I disagree with the boobs issue though, I write this mod with sense of fun and playfulness, not serious at all, and I think they are a fun addition, not something people are expecting to see. Two mothers I know who play along with their kids have mentioned they have no problems with them, and so far only yourself and one other person has an issue. I think most of the skins fit just nice, the texture is shifted so that the top half of the dress is duplicated, so the main body texture isn't distorted. There's a recent addition of the pregnancy bump, that too seems to work well with most skin textures, and again, it's a fun addition to the characters that AFAIK hasn't been done in any other mod.
Thanks for your input.

I politely told him that marrying the npc's would lead to headaches (What if the player is a woman wanting to marry a man? Didn't touch the topic of homosexuality) and that the boobs are horrible due to how badly it looks.

Well, half a victory is still a victory i guess? :v:

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Priapus Unbound posted:

I know this was a page ago, but regarding the creepiness of sim-u-craft:

Man, you know something is hosed up when the guy who names himself after the god of erections is skeeved out by it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

m2pt5 posted:

A wood pipe wouldn't extract? Did you try setting the sides with the configurator?

Yup, one thing I am good with is pipes so that was the first thing. Then I tried the side, the front, or the bottom. Unless it has to specifically unload from the right side (there wasn't room to try with the setup I had at the time due to barrels) it wouldn't output into a powered wood pipe.

Vib Rib posted:

Indeed, Yellorium ore, while common, has to be dug up. Unless you edit some files you can't create it in any way as far as I know (such as using the mining laser). However at the same time the mod comes with a machine that is specifically designed to turn the waste into more fuel at a 2:1 ratio, so if that reactor was filled it would run quite well for a really long time.

Honestly I suspect that reactor was built either on a mature server where someone said "I have all this yellorium, what the gently caress do I do with it", or it was never fully powered. You could break apart that monster along the mid-lines and make eight reasonably sized reactors.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I've just started playing minecraft again and fired up the Technic launcher and added Wylker's pack to it since I've been enjoying his LPs and I all I can say is that heatscar spiders (and their kids) can go right on ahead and gently caress themselves. Are their any good tutorials out their to help remind me of the stuff I've forgotten about thermal expansion, et al?

Izam
Jun 6, 2005
Their wiki has the jist of everything currently available. Give it a skim and it'll slowly start to make sense as its actually a fairly small mod. Aside from scaling upwards with more furnaces and pulverizers, make sure to grab an omniwrench just before you're ready to start laying down liquiducts, energy conduits, and possibly logistics pipes for hassle free adjusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Izam posted:

Their wiki has the jist of everything currently available. Give it a skim and it'll slowly start to make sense as its actually a fairly small mod. Aside from scaling upwards with more furnaces and pulverizers, make sure to grab an omniwrench just before you're ready to start laying down liquiducts, energy conduits, and possibly logistics pipes for hassle free adjusting.

Thanks. It hasn't been _that_ long since I last played but it seems like things are changing fast these days. To manually add a mod to modpack do I still have to unpack the minecraft.jar and all that nonsense? Or is there an easier way now? I want to add the mods to Wylker's that he couldn't include.

• Locked thread