Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«13 »
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

Ere we go, ere we go, ere we go, ere we go through the cosmos
Ere we go, ere we go, ere we go, don't know where till we get there. Da red wunz go fasta

Best GM on the forums next to Tias, even if he is a brony :v

Fundraising Link

League Link

Current Funds

Our Sponsors!

Our very own Febreeze who runs The Draw Play has pledged a free custom avatar to the winner! Plus the avatar change will be free thanks to Gendo!

Smitty, owner of DraftCalc.com, has pledged a free one year subscription to the winner!

Josh and the awesome folks at 4For4 have pledged a free one year subscription!

The fine folks at RotoWorld have pledged a free online guide and season pass!

Mike Clay of ProFootballFocus Fantasy has pledged a free Fantasy Gold subscription!

Our very own Toaster Beef has pledged to provide separate comics to honor the winner and humiliate the loser.

David Kim of FantasyPros will be providing the choice of a Draft Wizard PRO upgrade (draft tools) or a MyPlaybook Premium upgrade (in-season tools) next year!

The Rules
None of these are set in stone, if a majority of players wants to tweak something feel free to suggest it.

Roster: QB/2RB/2WR/TE/FLX/DST/PK
Bench: 7 Players

Scoring is standard ESPN with minor tweaks and 0.5 PPR. See scoring in League rules.

Schedule
Head-to-head games from weeks 1 to 14. Championship rounds in week 15 and 16. 4 top teams based on W/L will face off in playoffs for ultimate victory in The Charity Bowl. 4 bottom teams based on W/L will face off in hope of avoiding ultimate humiliation in The Mustard Classic.

Money
Entrance fee is $25.

To encourage additional donations there will be a cheating mechanism. Each dollar donated before kickoff on the Thursday Night Football game of each week will give a one point bonus to that team. Teams are permitted a maximum of ten points more than their opponent, so if Team A receives $15 in donations and Team B receives $3 in donations then Team A will get 13 points and Team B will get 3. If someone wants to donate for multiple weeks please state so in the donation block. In the playoffs the maximum difference between teams will be 20 points. Money donated before the draft will be used to determine draft order, unless specified otherwise by the donor. One week before the start of the draft the players will choose their draft spots in order of money donated.

You are more than welcome to split up your donations across multiple weeks, just tell me how you want the money allocated. You must allocate said money before kickoff of the Thursday night game.

Although YouCaring does not charge fees, their financial provider (WePay) does. Fees are as follows:

Credit card payments: 2.9% + 30˘
Bank account (ACH) payments: 1% +30˘

At the end of the event I will have WePay send me a paper check. I will then cash that check and donate the resulting funds to the winner.

The Teams
Space Robot Fabrication Squad - Beer4TheBeerGod - FIRST Team 3650 - Robo Raptors
The FIRST Robotics competition is a chance for high school students to learn science and engineering with the aid of teachers and mentors. Student teams work together to construct complex robots designed to compete in a sports-like competition. The robots are fairly large and expensive to construct. FIRST is what really got me into engineering, and I've been working with a local team. If I win the money will go directly towards making an awesome robot.

Percy's Hip - jabro - Loma Linda University Children's Hospital
My 2 year-old spent 10 days in NICO there when she was born and my newest is about to be born there next Friday if she likes it or not. My friend's 5 year-old was treated for brain cancer at the hospital, too. The most amazing people.

Going to Take a Miracle - Anubis - Jude's Children's Research Hospital
Two main reasons for the charity:

1) St. Jude's is a great hospital doing state of the art research on children's cancer treatment. They also have a solid track record of not wasting money and actually completing successful research that extends and saves lives along with providing treatments to those who have fallen through the cracks in our healthcare system.

2) St. Jude is the patron saint of lost and hopeless causes, and it's going to take a loving miracle for me to win this thing.

Doin it 4 da Shorteez - Frgrbrgr - Shriners Hospital for Children, Northern CA/Sacramento (UC Davis Medical Center)
I'll be playing for Shriners Hospital for Children, Northern CA/Sacramento (UC Davis Medical Center). From Wikipedia: "Shriners Hospitals for Children is a network of 22 non-profit hospitals across North America. Children with orthopedic conditions, burns, spinal cord injuries, and cleft lip and palate are eligible for care and receive all services in a family-centered environment, regardless of the patients’ ability to pay." Horrible injuries sustained by children, all treated regardless of whether the family can pay or not.

When You Wish Upon a Favre - jerkstore77 - Make-A-Wish Foundation Greater San Francisco Bay Area
Make-A-Wish Greater Bay Area is a non-profit organization that fulfills the wishes of children between the ages of 2 1/2 and 18 battling life-threatening medical conditions. As one of the largest chapters nationwide, the chapter has granted over 6,000 wishes to date and grants over 340 wishes per year. Some kids go to Disneyland, some kids meet their favorite athletes, and some kids like Peter in the photo below, get their very own robot.

Cheatin' Ain't my Forte - Azhais - Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota
Since I don't have any attachments to any given charity, I'll go with the local good cause.

Marino Killed Snowflake - uublog - Dan Marino Foundation
I think the theme here is that you have to donate to children to win, and this is both local, and something I've been involved with and donated money to before, thus I don't have to be original. It serves children with neurodevelopmental disabilities, which isn't as impressive as ones who are dying but I figure we should have some variety to this. Plus, a second league where Marino could get a ring, so cheers to that.

Feed Kids Not D-Linemen - Spoeank - Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara & San Mateo Counties
My office does a ton of work with them & I know their stuff goes to the families in need rather than overhead.

Jimmy V's Gugliatta - Lock - The V Foundation
I know first-hand the pain of UC, and I know second-hand the pain of MS, but I can't begin to imagine the fear that people feel when they're diagnosed with the big C. I want to help fight that. And I want to help a cause created in the name of my childhood hero.

The Story So Favre - Good Will Hrunting - The Children's Therapy Center
I'll be representing The Children's Therapy Center in Bergen County, NJ. From their website: "The Children's Therapy Center (CTC) provides educational and therapeutic services for children with developmental disabilities. A multi-sensory approach is utilized in a nurturing and caring environment to enrich the lives of our students and maximize their potential while lending support to their families." A little cousin of mine has been going there and the family has great things to say. They also do a good job with their fundraising, so it feels nice to hopefully help out!

Teachin' Kids To Talk Trash - Sataere - Harper College Speech & Theater
I want to contribute to a scholarship fund at my old college for their speech team. One of the alums set something up after he graduated, and it is something a bit closer to my heart. My old speech coach said the best thing about that program is that there is no skill more necessary to everyday life. We are always communicating and working to make those skills better. The program he's created is very much a family environment and he is one of the best teachers I've ever known. Even ten years later, I and many alums are coming back to volunteer our time with that program. Another alum actually created a scholarship program specifically for the team just to help out people who were struggling with their education. Helping kids develop their communication skills and making it easier for them to finish college sets them up for future success.

Quarterback Controversy - Combo - Cardinal Glennon Children's Foundation
Cardinal Glennon Children’s Foundation provides the financial support necessary for delivering exceptional health care, in state-of-the-art facilities, to all children in need of care. Through pro-active communication efforts, community cultivation, philanthropic generosity and Christ-like stewardship, the Foundation’s purpose is to build strong partnerships that will result in world-class pediatric health care at SSM Cardinal Glennon Children’s Medical Center.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at Dec 11, 2013 around 18:41

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007

I'm in. I'll hunt down a charity, tho I just generally throw money at Child's Play

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

Kobra Kommandant

- Superbowl XXXV -
Ravens 35, Giants 7

I'm in.

jabro - Loma Linda University Children's Hospital
My 2 year-old spent 10 days in NICO there when she was born and my newest is about to be born there next Friday if she likes it or not. My friend's 5 year-old was treated for brain cancer at the hospital, too. The most amazing people.

Edit: Paid my donation.

jabro fucked around with this message at Jul 28, 2013 around 02:45

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

Ere we go, ere we go, ere we go, don't know where till we get there. Da red wunz go fasta

Awesome! Once you've sent in the league fees PM me your e-mail address and I'll invite you to the ESPN league. I'll also add you to the charity site.

Also Toaster Beef has offered to provide "motivating" comics to honor the winner and humiliate the loser of this charity league.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Oh I forgot about this. Yeah I still really like this idea. I'll figure out a charity to play for and whatever other specifics soon. Did you email those people to get the sponsorships/prizes? I tried emailing Matthew Berry to see if he'd help out in some way or if he could pass on any tips he got from similar ideas in doing research for his book but I've yet to hear back. I was thinking about other possible throw-ins, have you considered Football Guys?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

I e-mailed Berry and FBG but didn't get a response. I figure once the league is more settled I'll try again and see if anyone else is interested. Everyone I've talked to has been incredibly helpful and encouraging.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

I love you, Sarge.

I'm still down to play, will find a charity and pay fees tomorrow or the next day at the latest.

The only rule I don't like is having a PK.

Is "Fear Boners for Charity" a good team name? "Vinegar Strokes for Those in Need"?

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at Jul 28, 2013 around 08:19

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

I don't care either way about kickers.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.

I'm in. I'll take St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital. http://www.stjude.org/ Two main reasons for the charity:

1) St. Jude's is a great hospital doing state of the art research on children's cancer treatment. They also have a solid track record of not wasting money and actually completing successful research that extends and saves lives along with providing treatments to those who have fallen through the cracks in our healthcare system.

2) St. Jude is the patron saint of lost and hopeless causes, and it's going to take a loving miracle for me to win this thing.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

Okay, so far we have two confirmed players who have paid dues and Azhais, uublog, Frgrbrgr, and Anubis. So that's six teams pledging in the first few days. I figure we aim to have the draft sometime after the third preseason game.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

I love you, Sarge.

Doing my fees now, I'll be playing for Shriners Hospital for Children, Northern CA/Sacramento (UC Davis Medical Center). From Wikipedia: "Shriners Hospitals for Children is a network of 22 non-profit hospitals across North America. Children with orthopedic conditions, burns, spinal cord injuries, and cleft lip and palate are eligible for care and receive all services in a family-centered environment, regardless of the patients’ ability to pay." Horrible injuries sustained by children, all treated regardless of whether the family can pay or not.

http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/
http://iccweb.ucdavis.edu/HBS/Shriners.htm
http://www.shrinershospitalsforchil...California.aspx

EDIT: Well, it keeps giving me error messages that it didn't go through, but I'm also getting payment confirmation emails. If I get charged twice, I'll just put the second fee into winning games, I guess.

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at Jul 29, 2013 around 16:58

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007

My money's in. Since I don't have any attachments to any given charity, I'll go with the local good cause. Any winnings of mine will go to the Children's Hospital of MN:

http://www.childrensmn.org/

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

The donor page indicates who has donated. It confirmed Azhais but not Frgrbrgr.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

I love you, Sarge.

Yeah, something wrong with my card, or something, dunno. I'll try again when I get home.

jerkstore77
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

I had originally expressed interest in this and I still am, but my income has become a bit less disposable the last couple months so I'm going to back out and see if you can fill this with people who can give a bit more than I'd be able to.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

You don't have to donate anything beyond the original fee, and the more players the better. That said I really appreciate you giving me the heads up.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

I love you, Sarge.

Home now. Tried the card twice, still not working. Tried via bank account, again not working. Anybody else having problems?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

Kobra Kommandant

- Superbowl XXXV -
Ravens 35, Giants 7

Frgrbrgr posted:

Home now. Tried the card twice, still not working. Tried via bank account, again not working. Anybody else having problems?

I used my PayPal card and it went through no problem. It's a Mastercard but I don't think that should matter if its a Visa or whatever,

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

Frgrbrgr posted:

I had no problems with my Visa either.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

"If I cannot inspire love, I will cause fear; and chiefly towards you my arch-enemy... do I swear inextinguishable hatred."

What the hey, I'll give it a shot. I'll donate when I get home.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

Spoeank posted:

What the hey, I'll give it a shot. I'll donate when I get home.

Awesome. Pick another children's hospital so I can feel even worse about helping old people.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

Kobra Kommandant

- Superbowl XXXV -
Ravens 35, Giants 7

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Awesome. Pick another children's hospital so I can feel even worse about helping old people.

Like your fantasy analysis you are living in the past while we look to the future.

First shot fired!

jerkstore77
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Ok, after much hemming and hawing, I'm in. Will do my fees in a sec.

I will be playing for the Make-A-Wish Foundation Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Make-A-Wish Greater Bay Area is a non-profit organization that fulfills the wishes of children between the ages of 2 1/2 and 18 battling life-threatening medical conditions. As one of the largest chapters nationwide, the chapter has granted over 6,000 wishes to date and grants over 340 wishes per year. Some kids go to Disneyland, some kids meet their favorite athletes, and some kids like Peter in the photo below, get their very own robot.

There are some really good charities so far. It's a shame they wont be getting any money because I plan to win this.

EDIT: As far as draft time goes, any weekday evening should be fine, hopefully west coast friendly too.

jerkstore77 fucked around with this message at Jul 31, 2013 around 16:12

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

jabro posted:

Like your fantasy analysis you are living in the past while we look to the future.

First shot fired!

You're going to feel terrible when you lose The Mustard Classic and Toaster Beef makes that comic about you letting down sick kids.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

"If I cannot inspire love, I will cause fear; and chiefly towards you my arch-enemy... do I swear inextinguishable hatred."

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm letting my girlfriend pick it. Given where she's volunteered in the past, it'll probably be a women's shelter or surprise sex crisis center.

Team name: Beat Y'all, Not Women

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

I like it.

jerkstore77
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Signed up on ESPN as When You Wish Upon a Favre.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Okay, I'm about to send in my fee/donation...

Team 7 - uublog - Dan Marino Foundation
I think the theme here is that you have to donate to children to win, and this is both local, and something I've been involved with and donated money to before, thus I don't have to be original. It serves children with neurodevelopmental disabilities, which isn't as impressive as ones who are dying but I figure we should have some variety to this. Plus, a second league where Marino could get a ring, so cheers to that.

e: payment in. do you have my email to send me the invite through that or do you need me to pm it to you?

uublog fucked around with this message at Jul 31, 2013 around 22:04

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Hey do you know if I can change my display name? I want to donate & secure my spot, but my girlfriend is lollygagging on getting me the charity.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

Spoeank posted:

Hey do you know if I can change my display name? I want to donate & secure my spot, but my girlfriend is lollygagging on getting me the charity.

Everything can be changed, no worries.

EDIT:

quote:

e: payment in. do you have my email to send me the invite through that or do you need me to pm it to you?

I don't have access to e-mails. Either PM me, or use the "Contact The Organizer" button on the charity donation page and send me a message.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at Jul 31, 2013 around 23:36

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Everything can be changed, no worries.

Sweet. Done and done.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't have access to e-mails. Either PM me, or use the "Contact The Organizer" button on the charity donation page and send me a message.

done

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

sent a PM too

Edit: and my charity is chosen.

Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara & San Mateo Counties

My office does a ton of work with them & I know their stuff goes to the families in need rather than overhead.

Spoeank fucked around with this message at Aug 1, 2013 around 00:30

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

Awesome! We have enough players to make something approaching a league! I fully intend to annoy more goons and see how many people we can get involved.

Now the question becomes when a good draft day would be. I'm available most weeknights, and I figure any time after the third week of preseason should be viable.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

As long as it's after the third week of preseason I'll be pretty open in the evenings. I'm training for a new position starting in a couple of weeks so I won't have to worry about potential overtime.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

Kobra Kommandant

- Superbowl XXXV -
Ravens 35, Giants 7

I also prefer after the 3rd week of preseason games and good for whenever.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

In as Vick Six for now, though I will likely go through many more team names before we start

I'd be available basically any night and after the third week is good to know about most job situations/injuries without waiting too long. I'd prefer later in the evening, like 8:00-8:30 (EST, the one and only true time zone) but if someone else needs earlier I could work with that

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.

I'm now paid up and preloaded a bit for the season.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

I love you, Sarge.

I have no idea what is going on with my card, I've had no problems anywhere else. Bank of America whyyy.

I might be able to pay next week, just opened a new account at a credit union...

jesus christ injured children don't you want my money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

No rush. I know your money's good, seeing as how you've already deposited your portion of my winnings in our dynasty league.

«13 »