Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
PoorUser
Oct 12, 2008

Hey Goons, I was in a money fantasy football league last year here in The Armchair Quarterback, and enjoyed it enough to make one of my own this year. Something about there being cash involved makes everything more fun on Sunday.

Quick rundown of things:

Below are the league rules. They are essentially the Yahoo default rules. The only thing I changed is I made receptions a point category of its own at .5 points to even out the value between Wide Receivers and Running Backs a little more. (Source: http://i.imgur.com/ka7jS75.png )

Rules: http://football.fantasysports.yahoo...321835/settings
Number of Managers: 12

My effort is to make this the most like the real NFL's division and playoff system as possible. We are going to have 3 divisions. Division winners advance as top playoff seeds and the other 3 are seeded based on overall standings. So 6 people make playoffs, in order to keep more people interested towards the end of the season, even if their team might fall apart. Top two get byes first week. Week 14, 15, 16 are the playoffs.

Buy-In: $30

You win money by placing in the top 3, divided as follows: 1st - 50%, 2nd - 30%, 3rd - 20%.

You can also win money, $5, by placing highest in points in any given week during regular season. This is to keep people interested, as well, so we won't have the inevitable 3 people at the bottom of the rankings giving up and not bothering to even set their team and give their opponent a free pass. So if we have 12 players, and a $360 dollar prize pool @ $30 a person, and 13 weeks regular season. That is $65 in weekly winnings. With 295 left over, 1st would get 147.5, 2nd 88.5. 3rd 59.

We can make a prize pool a few ways. One thing we can do is use something like http://www.leaguesafe.com/. The upside to this is that if people have any misgivings about trusting a random fellow goon with their $50, they won't need to worry. The downside to this is there is a deposit fee (3%) if you use anything other than an e-check, and a withdrawal fee when you get the money ($1.50 to $7.00).

The other thing we can do is elect a member of the league to hold the money through PayPal. I am willing, as league commissioner, but don't mind if somebody else wants to nominate someone else to hold. The upside here is no fees, which actually matters quite a lot if all you end up taking away is $5 for having the highest point total in a week.

Draft: Live Standard Snake Draft. So if you pick 3rd in round one, you pick 3rd to last in round 2, 3rd again in round 3, and so forth. The draft date right now is only a placeholder. We'll figure out a time everyone can make towards the end of training camp when we have more information on how often players will be playing and I'll update things then.

The official draft time is Sun Sep 1 4:30pm PT/7:30 PM ET

How to sign-up:

Just state your intent to sign up below. I'll keep the thread updated with an entry and reserves list. Also when you sign up, let me know if you want to use league safe, myself as league commissioner, or wish to nominate someone else to hold money. When we get 12 people, we can figure out an auction time. Also, I am open to changing any part about this league. If you have a suggestion of something you want to change in scoring or whatever, mention it when you sign-up, and if a majority of managers agree with you we can change it. And PM me your e-mail address so I can send you an invite! Type it here if you don't have PMs. The league might be full, but we're still taking alternates for the league. If you are interested and see the league is full, expressing that interest might give you a chance to get in on things. I have run leagues before, and oftentimes there is a person that can't end up playing after all.

Entrants:

1. PoorUser (Paid)
2. ganthony (Paid)
3. jb7 (Paid)
4. toxicsunset (Paid)
5. BrandNew (Paid)
6. Shapur (Paid)
7. NC-17 (Paid)
8. Darko (Paid)
9. Bonham (Paid)
10. EATIN SHRIMP (Paid)
11. Psikotik (Paid)
12. Azhais (Paid)

PoorUser fucked around with this message at Aug 23, 2013 around 20:31

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoorUser
Oct 12, 2008

Seriously, I just typoed the League Name in the thread name from Gridiron Goons to Gridiron Goods....? Well, whatever...

ganthony
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!

I'm absolutely interested. I don't have any issue with you holding the cash in a paypal account, either. Email is theznar1(at)yahoo(dot)com.

jb7
Apr 13, 2007

I am interested and I am fine with either leaguesafe or you holding cash. PMing email address.

PoorUser
Oct 12, 2008

ganthony posted:

I'm absolutely interested. I don't have any issue with you holding the cash in a paypal account, either. Email is theznar1(at)yahoo(dot)com.

jb7 posted:

I am interested and I am fine with either leaguesafe or you holding cash. PMing email address.

Cool, adding you both to list and sending you league invites on yahoo! Let me know if you do not receive them.

PoorUser
Oct 12, 2008

Welcome to the league toxicsunset!

PoorUser fucked around with this message at Aug 1, 2013 around 01:24

PoorUser
Oct 12, 2008

Need only 8 more! Anyone else interested? I am also fine running the league with 10 participants.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Do you have any idea at all when the draft would be? I'm interested but I want to make sure it wouldn't conflict with my other leagues' drafts.

PoorUser
Oct 12, 2008

coronaball posted:

Do you have any idea at all when the draft would be? I'm interested but I want to make sure it wouldn't conflict with my other leagues' drafts.

We're going to figure out a time that works best for everyone when we get more people. Should be able to work around your other draft obligations.

PoorUser
Oct 12, 2008

Would anyone not interested now, instead be interested if we lowered the sign-up fee to $30? And would anyone already signed up for the league lose interest if we did?

I want to get to 12 members before the NFL season starts, hopefully!

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!

I would be interested at 30.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Distrusting me was the wisest thing you've done.

I would for 30 as well. 50 for me would probably need to be straight-up, no extra rules with 10 so I can feel like I have more control, haha.

PoorUser
Oct 12, 2008

OK, it seems more people are in for $30 than would be out for $30, and because I'd like to get to 12 soonish so we have time to get everyone paid, pick a draft time, and then draft, lets change the buy-in to $30. Hopefully, that works for everyone already in the league still. I think at $30 we'll have an easier time getting players, as the thread has not had any new sign ups for over a week and the start of football season approaches.

Brandnew and Darko, can I confirm you guys are in? And if so, I'll need your e-mail address, either here or in PM, so I may send you an invite. Also, a vote on how you want league winnings to be held as explained in the OP.

Also, I changed the buy-in and winnings portion of the OP to reflect the new buy-in and to correct a slight math error in payouts (My math had us having 14 weeks of regular season, but it is really only 13). It now reads: You can also win money, $5, by placing highest in points in any given week during regular season. This is to keep people interested, as well, so we won't have the inevitable 3 people at the bottom of the rankings giving up and not bothering to even set their team one week. So if we have 12 players, and a $360 dollar prize pool @ $30 a person, and 13 weeks regular season. That is $65 in weekly winnings. With 295 left over, 1st would get 147.5, 2nd 88.5. 3rd 59.

PoorUser fucked around with this message at Aug 11, 2013 around 22:51

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!

jontaylor03431@yahoo.com I'm fine with you holding the money.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

I'm interested. This is my first time playing fantasy though so it's probably free money for you goons. I'm fine with you holding it. I will pm you my email address.

PoorUser
Oct 12, 2008

Shapur posted:

I'm interested. This is my first time playing fantasy though so it's probably free money for you goons. I'm fine with you holding it. I will pm you my email address.

BrandNew posted:

jontaylor03431@yahoo.com I'm fine with you holding the money.

Sending you both invites. Welcome to the league!

NC-17
Nov 6, 2002

I won my Super Bowls before they were mainstream. You've probably never even heard of them.

I'm interested. PM or email to nc-17@newevolution.net. Thanks.

PoorUser
Oct 12, 2008

NC-17 posted:

I'm interested. PM or email to nc-17@newevolution.net. Thanks.

Invite on its way. Welcome to the league.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Distrusting me was the wisest thing you've done.

email to mail@aaronmccray.com, thanks!

PoorUser
Oct 12, 2008

Sent and welcome to league.

Bonham
Aug 14, 2009

Kill! Kill! Kill!

I'm in, mccoy.bonham@gmail

PoorUser
Oct 12, 2008

Bonham posted:

I'm in, mccoy.bonham@gmail

Invite on its way.

PoorUser
Oct 12, 2008

Did someone invite one of their friends? That is fine. I just noticed we have ten members in the league rather than the nine I thought, and wanted to update my master list with the tenth user's SA name (or if they don't have one, who's friend it is that I might use as a point person to communicate with that member if necessary).

PoorUser fucked around with this message at Aug 12, 2013 around 16:40

HeebHustler
Jan 16, 2007

edit: oops n/m

HeebHustler fucked around with this message at Aug 12, 2013 around 19:53

EATIN SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Interested - eatinshrimp@gmail.com

PoorUser
Oct 12, 2008

Sending invite.

PoorUser
Oct 12, 2008

So as far as I can tell there are two people in the league I didn't invite and didn't sign up through here. I am somewhat sure the two are "david's team" and "Chris's team." (If either of these are the team of someone who has already signed up through this thread, let me know I have it wrong).

No idea how those two teams joined, I looked and wasn't able to find a setting that might allow it. In any case, unless someone lets me know they are a goon that found a loophole and wants to be a part of the league, or someone invited one of their friends and comes to this thread and says so, then I am going to assume they are random people, neither goons nor friends of a goon, and kick them at some point after two more people sign up in this thread in order to make space for the other players. So heads up, if its you or know who it is, let me know.

PoorUser
Oct 12, 2008

2 more people needed! And if anyone is still interested after we get 2 more, I'll have an alternates list up in case anyone doesn't pay, can't make the draft, or drops out for another reason. Thanks!

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB

Why not. Airflan99 at gmail dot com.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007

Sure, why not. I'll PM email.

NC-17
Nov 6, 2002

I won my Super Bowls before they were mainstream. You've probably never even heard of them.

Chris's team is me.

Dopple Dabbler
Jan 22, 2004

I just want to believe...
In 50 horny little mouths.

I'm interested if there's still an open spot. PM is fine and I don't really care who holds the money.

PoorUser
Oct 12, 2008

NC-17 posted:

Chris's team is me.

Thanks for letting me know, because it says you didn't accept the invite to me still. I am going to assume that Yahoo is glitching, then, and David is a goon having the same glitch.

Psikotik posted:

Why not. Airflan99 at gmail dot com.

Azhais posted:

Sure, why not. I'll PM email.

I am going to send you both invites. Thanks for signing up.

Dopple Dabbler posted:

I'm interested if there's still an open spot. PM is fine and I don't really care who holds the money.

I will put you down as an alternate in case someone has to drop out.

PoorUser
Oct 12, 2008

Okay guys, now that we are at 12 members, I put some information up in the league page on Yahoo about payment information. Also, you will find a link to a doodle page for voting on when the draft will be. If you can't end up making the time the most number of people eventually agree on, I'll refund your entry fee if you desire to drop out because of that.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

How are we deciding draft positions?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007

Shapur posted:

Double elimination roshambo tournament

NC-17
Nov 6, 2002

Have we mention draft dates yet? I'll be out of town the 22nd-24th, so it would be tough to make it on those days unless it's in the evening, like 9PM EST or later. Any other day or weekend is fine.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007

NC-17 posted:

Have we mention draft dates yet? I'll be out of town the 22nd-24th, so it would be tough to make it on those days unless it's in the evening, like 9PM EST or later. Any other day or weekend is fine.

There's a poll after you pay with like 70 time slots. Presumably a time when most/all can be there will get picked, but nothing is firm yet.

PoorUser
Oct 12, 2008

Shapur posted:

When I finalize the team list (I will after we get 12 paid members), Yahoo can randomly determine the order for us.

NC-17 posted:

If you check the league page, there is a doodle link I put up on its message board that lets you mark the times that work best for you (as well as some payment information for entry fees). That way, we can pick a time that works the best for the most number of people.

Azhais posted:

Double elimination roshambo tournament

Roshambo for who gets AP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoorUser
Oct 12, 2008

A few orders of league business:

1. I updated the OP for who has paid and who hasn't. I'm going to set a soft deadline for everyone to pay by the end of August 22nd, allowing everyone a week to put in their entry fees. That way, we can decide a draft time earlier rather than later, giving people a chance to do their research and be prepared for it. Alternatively, to allow an alternate a chance to jump in things if someone has to drop out. If you can't do this that soon because your payday hasn't come yet, or whatever, talk with me and I'll personally spot you the entrance fee.

2. I made a slight change to the number of roster positions. Instead of 3 WR positions, there are now two, and the third WR position is instead a flex position, where a WR or RB or TE can be played each week. This is to allow people more flexibility in the draft and who they play any given week, as well as greater depth at any given position, which should (theoretically) increase the number of trades/interaction/roster movement for managers (greater position depth at WR, so people can afford to lose one in favor of a position they are weaker at), as well as the value of skill over luck because managers have a larger variety of choices in who to draft and who to play any given week. Let me know if anyone is opposed to this, or simply put a poll in the league space so managers can vote on it if you're opposed, and I'll change it back if a majority of managers disagree with the roster change. Thanks!

Also, we're still taking alternates for the league. If you are interested but see the league is full, expressing that interest might give you a chance to get in on things. I have run leagues before, and oftentimes there is a person that can't end up playing after all.

PoorUser fucked around with this message at Aug 17, 2013 around 14:32

«3 »