Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Go for Beef Stew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

If you put sugar in cornbread at all there's something wrong with you. :colbert:

What's your policy for sugar on cornbread? Finishing baked cornbread with a light sugar glaze is SOP around here. Cornbread we don't use to mix with and cover a delicious blend of tomato sauce, ground beef, and cheese, I mean.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The policy is what the hell are you making, dessert?

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

And make some cornbread with jalepeno in it :getin:

This sounds fun, I want to do this one.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Dr. Buttass posted:

Beef stew!

If you do fried chicken though I will loving shank you if you put corn kernels in the corn bread.

God no, my dad makes it this way (he uses the America's Test Kitchen recipe that uses frozen corn kernels) and I hate it.

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

If you put sugar in cornbread at all there's something wrong with you. :colbert:

I don't want to give it all away up front but there's this thing called Honey out there on the market you should check it out.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
When I was in middle school, I read 'Sign of the Beaver' and the next time my family made cornbread I had to have molasses with it. (We have it in our cupboard because my mom likes to make ham with a Jack Daniel's, Molasses and Brown Sugar glaze.)

Anyway.

Beef Stew and Cornbread I always find cornbread easier to eat when I have something to dunk it in.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Beef stew because it's great.

Thank you for doing the worst cooking mama of them all. But I can't hate it. It literally personifies loving PETA and it makes me giggle because it's so overblown and stupid. It's just completely ridiculous in every single way.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

DreamingofRoses posted:

(We have it in our cupboard because my mom likes to make ham with a Jack Daniel's, Molasses and Brown Sugar glaze.)

That sounds like an awesome idea. Or how about RUM?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

What's your policy for sugar on cornbread? Finishing baked cornbread with a light sugar glaze is SOP around here. Cornbread we don't use to mix with and cover a delicious blend of tomato sauce, ground beef, and cheese, I mean.

The policy is that everybody here is talking about cornbread like goddamn biscuits don't even exist. Having worked at a Bojangles, this is anathema to me.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Waffleman_ posted:

The policy is that everybody here is talking about cornbread like goddamn biscuits don't even exist. Having worked at a Bojangles, this is anathema to me.

Biscuits are strictly for breakfast, and meant to be buried in white gravy. :colbert:

Mico, you need to fry dat chicken!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

cobalt impurity posted:

Biscuits are strictly for breakfast, and meant to be buried in white gravy. :colbert:

We need come down south and kick y'all's asses again goddamn. White gravy is an abomination unto the United States of Loyal Americans. :911:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

cobalt impurity posted:

And we brits need to teach people that biscuits are for dipping in hot infusions, not breakfasted on with gravy.

Everyone's wrong about everything food wise. Including us brits

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

We need come down south and kick y'all's asses again goddamn. White gravy is an abomination unto the United States of Loyal Americans. :911:

I don't even know what to tell you if you're surprised the south chooses white over brown.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

cobalt impurity posted:

Mico, you need to fry dat chicken!

Bojangles has you covered. We'll cut the biscuit in half, put a piece of chicken in it, and give it to you for breakfast all day. :colbert:

The Nautilus
Jul 24, 2012

HELLO
I'm putting in for Fried Chicken because I've never made it before and also because I like cornbread.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
I'm voting for Beef Stew because I love a good beef stew. Plus, cold weather blah blah blah.

As far as cornbread goes, I like all types of cornbread. Sweet, savory, with corn kernels, without. Doesn't matter. I'm from Illinois. We're not picky when it comes to things made of corn.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I don't even know what to tell you if you're surprised the south chooses white over brown.

Classy.

And white gravy is great! At least the white gravy we make. It ends up with sausage chunks in it and is spicier than brown gravy, in my experience. It is mostly breakfast-exclusive though.

If I had British 'biscuits' I'd have to dip them in 'infusions' because they're hard as rocks. (Brits are especially wrong about food.)

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:rimshot:

DreamingofRoses posted:

(Brits are especially wrong about food.)

I don't think I've ever heard a joke about British food that wasn't cribbed off a British person.

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

Ed: Does cooking mama ever do aspic?

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

I was told to share my beautiful video presence with the thread.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

DreamingofRoses posted:

Classy.

And white gravy is great! At least the white gravy we make. It ends up with sausage chunks in it and is spicier than brown gravy, in my experience. It is mostly breakfast-exclusive though.

If I had British 'biscuits' I'd have to dip them in 'infusions' because they're hard as rocks. (Brits are especially wrong about food.)

Well if you hadn't dissolved your teeth in corn syrup and coffee your'll be able to handle a little crunch.

v Nearly as confusing as an American complaing about biscuits being too tough when you all have jerky

Rumda fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 29, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A Brit makes fun of American teeth? :psyduck: A confusing Brit.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I'm gonna call it in favor of Beef Stew

The votes were REALLY close though, I'm thinkin I'm gonna just make Beef Stew then do Fried Chicken and Cornbread as the very next update.

Plus I found a REALLY loving GOOD fried chicken recipe that we had last night and I'm dying to make it again.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Rumda posted:

v Nearly as confusing as an American complaing about biscuits being too tough when you all have jerky

Yeah but jerky's tough because it's supposed to last like a week before you need your next piece.

British biscuits are just tough because you guys hate yourselves.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Mico posted:

I'm gonna call it in favor of Beef Stew

The votes were REALLY close though, I'm thinkin I'm gonna just make Beef Stew then do Fried Chicken and Cornbread as the very next update.

Plus I found a REALLY loving GOOD fried chicken recipe that we had last night and I'm dying to make it again.

Since you're saving cornbread for the fried chicken, I must insist you bake (American) biscuits along with the beef stew. Biscuits taste wonderful when you dip each flaky layer into the beef stew.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Dr. Buttass posted:

Yeah but jerky's tough because it's supposed to last like a week before you need your next piece.

British biscuits are just tough because you guys hate yourselves.

If you think British biscuits are tough I shudder to think what you think of Italian ones.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Well obviously I think you guys are giant sissies who haven't got the stomach for the levels of self-hate the Italians can get going.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Beef Stew

A Slowcooker
Roughly 1 and 1/2 lb Beef for Stew
16 oz Beef Broth
1 Potato
1 Shallot (or an onion if you prefer!)
1 Carrot (optional)
1 spoonful of garlic cloves (Minced or crushed will work if you can't find a jar of cloves)
About 1 cup of flour
About 1 tablespoons salt
Pepper
Cilantro
Rosemary
Parsley

And some kind of starchy side dish like Egg Noodles.

Chop the veggies, then add to the slow cooker along with half the beef broth, and the garlic.
Coat the beef with the flour/salt mixture and then pepper to taste
Fry the beef up in a pan until the sides look nice and seared, about 10-15 minutes. Don't worry if the meat is undercooked the slowcooker will fix that later.
Add the beef to the slow cooker, along with the Cilantro, Rosemary, and Parsley, and a little bit more Pepper. Cover with the rest of the beef broth and stir.
Start the slow cooker. Do 30 minutes on high then 45 minutes on low. Stir occasionally.

---

Soundtrack
New Production Goes to Munich - Tippen Ein
The Mobius Band - Loving Sounds of Static

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Mico posted:

Cilantro

Eww.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Egg noodles go better with stroganoff than with stew in my family's opinion. Also, tomatoes are not an essential part of beef stew as good old Dinty Moore goes to show. Can't say I quite figured out how you intended to cut that poor shallot, though.

In more personal food news, I made a drat fine gumbo the other day. I started with a Zatarain's mix and added turkey sausage, Hormel canned chicken (I don't use chicken breasts often enough to justify buying a bunch for one meal), celery, and a can of okra (too far north to find the fresh stuff). Oh, and a few healthy splashes of Frank's Red Hot Sauce to bring the heat. I also realized for the first time that if you slowly stir in a flour-based mix instead of dumping it all at once, you'll avoid filling the soup with disgusting clumps. It's too bad Cooking Mama doesn't know any Cajun, because that stuff was delicious.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
I heard you say that you made home made pasta in an earlier video, and you won't get away from us that easily.

:colbert:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The Neti pot is actually pretty comfortable if you're careful to get the water at body temperature, and it definitely clears the sinuses. I remember hearing something about picking up infections from the water, but honestly, that sounds like typical paranoia to me - if you're that worried, boil the water and let it cool to body temperature.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I made an Ethiopian beef not too long ago (key wot), it was yummy. Homemade berbere mix is a great thing to have, although this batch wasn't spicy enough. Served with rice, because we don't have a griddle for injera :saddowns:

Nidoking posted:

The Neti pot is actually pretty comfortable if you're careful to get the water at body temperature, and it definitely clears the sinuses. I remember hearing something about picking up infections from the water, but honestly, that sounds like typical paranoia to me - if you're that worried, boil the water and let it cool to body temperature.

fastbeef stew:

- Ground beef, 73% lean.
- Garlic powder
- Ketchup
- Salt
- Cornstarch

Puree in mini food chopper, put in Neti pot, add 1/2 cup boiling water. Cool to body temperature, flush sinuses.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Nidoking posted:

As I understand it, the "infection" is a brain-eating amoeba that only lives in warmer climates like the southern US. People in the northern part and all of Canada would be fine using tap water, and everyone can use distilled water that's 88 cents for a gallon.

I've never actually used a netti pot so I can't speak for its comfort or usefulness, but you'll look like this when you do it:

So take that as you will.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

cobalt impurity posted:

I've never actually used a netti pot so I can't speak for its comfort or usefulness, but you'll look like this when you do it:

It's not exactly the sort of thing you do in public.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Captain Pissweak posted:

I heard you say that you made home made pasta in an earlier video, and you won't get away from us that easily.

:colbert:

Next episode is Kentucken Frucken Chicken. Stick it in your hole.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mutant freak spotted.

The Nautilus
Jul 24, 2012

HELLO

If you don't like an ingredient just leave it out. It's not that hard to modify a recipe.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Arglebargle III posted:

Mutant freak spotted.

Apparently it is a fact that for some people the addition of any amount of cilantro to something makes it taste like they are eating soap. Which must suck for eating out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuietMisdreavus
May 12, 2013

I'm fine. Nothing to worry about.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Apparently it is a fact that for some people the addition of any amount of cilantro to something makes it taste like they are eating soap. Which must suck for eating out.

As one of these people, I can confirm this. I didn't even realize that it was a thing until after I spent a semester eating at Chipotle (due to an overwhelming preference among my friends) and wondering why the rice had a soapy undertone.

• Locked thread