Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Ah yes it is Thai curry if anyone's not sure. I thought I mentioned it in the video but maybe I didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
I hope this thread slowly devolves into you turning into Masaokis.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

As a bonus, are you actually going to cook chickencheese?

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Ascetic Crow posted:

As a bonus, are you actually going to cook chickencheese?
Oh but it has already been requested

Gado posted:

I don't care how you make it happen, Alex. But you gotta the show the world Chicken Pterodactyl

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

We got a vote on Strawberry Bavarois

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

C-Euro posted:

How is it possible for any grandma to be bad at cooking? :psyduck: I thought it came with the territory of being a grandma.

My grandma on my mother's side is pretty bad at cooking because she never had to cook for herself or anyone until grandpa died so it happens

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Oh yeah.

With regards to my grandmother's awful cooking, let me put it to you like this.

My mother was not aware that food could taste good until she met my dad. Just let that sink in for a minute.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Oh man, I love the Cooking Mama series. Whenever there's a family gathering, I go and see if one of my cousins have a DS on hand because it's inevitable that they'll have at least the first game. And if I actually owned both of those myself, screw other console games, I'm gonna make all these dishes even better than Mama.

Glad to see an LP of this, and a substantial one too! I love cooking a whole lot and I hope this thread will inspire others to try something new.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Mico posted:

Oh yeah.

My mother was not aware that food could taste good until she met my dad. Just let that sink in for a minute.

That side of your family has my sincerest condolences. No one should have to live through something this terrible yet so avoidable.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Mico posted:

Oh yeah.

I was once told that I don't so much cook as assemble food into a non-poisonous state. Apparently that's not quite the same thing.

kitwew
Jul 23, 2013
Honestly never thought of cooking rice in stock, totally gonna try that poo poo out.

great video would gently caress watch again, hope to see more!

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

kitwew posted:

Honestly never thought of cooking rice in stock, totally gonna try that poo poo out.

great video would gently caress watch again, hope to see more!

You can also add spices to the cooking water and impart their flavours to the rice!

kitwew
Jul 23, 2013

Last Transmission posted:

You can also add spices to the cooking water and impart their flavours to the rice!

yeah, it's weird how sometimes things just don't occur to me, but I guess that's what the internets for, haha

oh yeah, I was just looking at that recipe list posted earlier and one of them just says Banana so I'd like to vote that in for giggles

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

I'm putting my vote in for Gazpacho, if the voting is still going on.

Edit: Ugh pictures

My Face When fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 30, 2013

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

My vote is for you to make Proper Japanese Curry at some point. :colbert:

But really, this is an awesome LP idea and I'll definitely be following it!

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
This LP is a great idea! It's weird that there are three pages so far that aren't completely about the game yet still on topic. That's a sign of a good hybrid-LP.

kitwew posted:

Most of the stock I have in the fridge is used for deglazing. If there's any in the fridge that is going to go bad soon, it goes into boiling rice. Similarly, if you ever have any leftover fresh herbs that are going to spoil, they can be used the same way.

Rice, soup, and pizza are the ultimate "oh poo poo I have to use this up" foods.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!
Love this, If you want those little ingredient icons in the corner and a timer then get in touch, I can knock up those kinds of graphics without much trouble.

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012
You have made a wonderful thing. Since it sounded interesting, make some Quiche.

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
:goonsay:
Carrots aren't vegetables they are roots, neither are potatoes actually they are tubers (not to be confused with the musical instrument); onions might be or they might be another group (the name of which I don't remember off hand). :sweatdrop:

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

xelada posted:

:goonsay:
Carrots aren't vegetables they are roots, neither are potatoes actually they are tubers (not to be confused with the musical instrument); onions might be or they might be another group (the name of which I don't remember off hand). :sweatdrop:

Hold on a minute. We're talking different ways of categorizing here.
1) There's the pedantic scientific definition of vegetable, which tends to be more narrow than what most people would consider vegetable. So, yes, carrots, potatoes, and onions aren't technically "vegetables" by that rhubric.
2) There's the food group definition, which generally categorizes based on nutritional value. Carrots and onions are in the "fruits and vegetables" group (for their vitamins, minerals, and fiber), whereas potatoes are in the weird gray area between the "fruits and vegetables" and the "carbohydrates" group ('cause taters are mostly starches).
3) And then there's the supermarket aisle definition, the most general category, because it's based on what the grocer finds convenient to group together. Uncooked carrots, potatoes, and onions are generally in the "fresh produce" aisle along with fruits. Sometimes carrots are sub-separated to be kept under water sprayers for, uh, reasons that I don't care to look up right now.

a bloody icon
Apr 22, 2012

dotchan posted:

Sometimes carrots are sub-separated to be kept under water sprayers for, uh, reasons that I don't care to look up right now.

It makes them more appealing to the consumer probably.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~
Gonna have to vote for Natto because I have never seen it in person.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I was asked last night what the music used in the video is.

Here you go in case anyone is curious as to what those songs are that you can barely hear.

1. Mum - There is a number of small things
2. Olivia Tremor Control - Black Foliage (Itself)
3. Psychic TV - Do Me (Glenn Meadmore Mix)
4. Plaid - Diddymousedid
5. The Apples in Stereo - Joanie Dont U Worry
6. We Are the Seahorses - Jeffery Caught the Green Ball (HOT 97 REMIX)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

RotationSurgeon posted:

Gonna have to vote for Natto because I have never seen it in person.

You are a lucky person.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I didn't know what Natto is, so I looked it up.

Make Natto.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I only just now realized this wasn't just a Cooking Mama thread. Woo-hoo, reading comprehension.

Seriously, this is a fantastic angle on an edutainment LP. I can't wait to see what comes next.

GCValentine
Oct 25, 2007
Important Event
I agree with all the Quiche people, it sounds fun.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Anyone who wants to spice up their rice should check out Iranian rice recipes. Those people can make miracles with just a rice cooker and some random things in the pantry.

I'll vote for Chickencheese because natto is seriously gross and you don't even cook it. What a silly thing to vote for.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

2. Chunking two chicken breasts does not take that long! Just slice the breast vertically into strips of desired width WITHOUT MOVING THEM (better grip will help a ton with this) then grab the stripped breast and give it a quarter turn. Slice vertically again and voila! Chunked chicken breast in under 10 seconds.

How do you stop your poo poo from falling apart while you try that? Whenever I try to chunk stuff like that, it always falls around and gets sloppy. I'ts faster than what he did, but I have to sift through to make sure that there aren't any huge chunks that escaped.

edit: also, just heard garlic powder mentioned in the video. I'm not a great cook. I'm not even a good cook, I do most of my stuff by trial and error, and not throwing any extra poo poo in. But don't use garlic powder/garlic salt/ anything like that. Get fresh garlic, crush the clove so you can strip that last bit of skin off there, dice it up. Or use a garlic press, I don't have one of those.

I hope there's chili in one of these, so we can get a chili discussion going on. Best bachelor food. Beans, beef, tomatoes, spice poo poo, and then you can make some rice/quinoa/couscous and stretch it even farther.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 30, 2013

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How do you stop your poo poo from falling apart while you try that? Whenever I try to chunk stuff like that, it always falls around and gets sloppy. I'ts faster than what he did, but I have to sift through to make sure that there aren't any huge chunks that escaped.
Do you make sure the chicken and knife are dry (relatively speaking)? You can also very lightly wipe a bit of oil on the knife with a paper towel and that will make it effortless.

quote:

I hope there's chili in one of these, so we can get a chili discussion going on. Best bachelor food. Beans, beef, tomatoes, spice poo poo, and then you can make some rice/quinoa/couscous and stretch it even farther.
Oh god, this is just asking for trouble.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I know, I was mostly just hoping to sit the arguments out and try recipes that get posted. I was going to do some pro-beans posturing, but I couldn't find a way to make it not sound stupid. My aunt makes green chili without beans, it's amazing. I make chili con carne with beans, because I'm poor and beans are good for you.

I'll try the oil thing next time, it seems to happen with anything I'm chopping. Might just be my poor knife skills.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there a game that allows for chocolate cheesecake? Because I'd kill for some chocolate cheesecake.

Also, of all the times to discover this LP, why'd it have to be during Ramadan :gonk:

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 30, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Where is the problem happening, when you slice or when you turn the breast/whatever?

If the meat/thing is sticking to the blade and getting pulled apart, you need a sharp knife and a cut that will minimize sticking. For example, holding the knife at a high angle with the point on the cutting board and drawing it towards yourself, through the thing to be chunked, minimizes the knife/food surface area. If you're chopping down/forward with the edge flat to the cutting board you're putting a lot of flat blade in contact with food, which gives it a chance to stick. If I'm having a good day I can even slice a tomato like this without having it fall apart into a mess (until it's chunked of course there's no hope after that)

If you're having trouble with grasping and turning a sliced chicken breast/tomato/whatever I'm not sure what to say. You kind of have to make a claw with your hand to grip it all the way around, yet be gentle so you don't smoosh it.

It's normal to lose a strip or something regularly, but that takes two seconds to fix. Having the whole thing fall apart and degenerate into an insane chopfest/careful rearrangement is the important thing to avoid.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

unpronounceable posted:

You're holding your knife poorly. What you should do is hold the blade with your thumb and index finger, and use your other fingers to hold onto the handle. It should look something like this and this.

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh my god dude those knife skills.

1. Hold the knife by pinching the base of the blade between your thumb and (curled) forefinger, and wrap your other three fingers around the top of the handle. Your forefinger knuckle should be just about where the blade meets the handle. (It will hurt afterwards, and you will develop a callus in like 1 day.)

So, uh, why do you need to hold the knife like that? I'm sure there's a good reason for it, but the only thing either of you said this achieves is that it makes your hands hurt.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.
I'll add a vote for the quiche, something I never bothered to learn thanks to family screwing it up repeatedly year after year, I had just assumed it something to write off.

I wouldn't mind seeing Chicken Kiev done sometime later since it's really not that hard a dish to do and turns out pretty tasty too. Even if my first attempt years ago ended up with the garlic butter coating the bottom of my oven because I'm an idiot with toothpick placement...

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Dragonwagon posted:

So, uh, why do you need to hold the knife like that? I'm sure there's a good reason for it, but the only thing either of you said this achieves is that it makes your hands hurt.

Easier to control, mostly. Most people learn to put their forefinger along the spine of the blade but you have better control if you have an appendage on either side of the blade...

But the way I grip the blade sounds like that and it never hurt me. :raise:

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Mico, don't cook the baby.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I feel like an rear end for inviting myself, but if you need a co-host for a later video, I would love to share stories from my high school cooking class.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dragonwagon posted:

It's the grip with the most control. You hand is on the center of gravity of the knife, which allows you to do things that you can't do by just gripping the handle. For example, one of the most efficient cuts is simply rocking the blade back and forth. It's both fast and precise, perfect for dicing small things in large quantities, and it's simply impossible to do by gripping only the handle.

It doesn't make your hand hurt like playing guitar for three hours or something other strenuous activity, it's plenty comfortable. The only thing is that it rubs on the inside of your index finger where most people have soft skin. If you do enough knife work to irritate the skin you will develop a callus after only one or two days of cutting with the new grip and it will never bother you again. Cooks tend to only notice when they haven't done any cooking for a few weeks and their knife callus goes away.

Tyty posted:

But the way I grip the blade sounds like that and it never hurt me. :raise:

See? Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it. I learned knife skills in a professional kitchen where you might put in 60+ minutes straight with a knife during prep. If you're cooking at home it may not even bother you.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Just want to say I cooked up the curry for some friends last night and it was very nice.
Mico, you're a star.

• Locked thread