Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Zanna posted:

Warka is essentially a thinner, North African version of phyllo, and they can be substituted for each other.

How could it be thinner than phylo? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Hedera Helix posted:

only in the mind can we conceive infinity

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Hedera Helix posted:

Phylo so thin it only has one side.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Phylo is great in baklava, but the idea is to layer it a million times. It's not really meant for using as one-ply.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Oh whoops, phyllo dough has two Ls in it, not one.

Mico, I have to ask, why do your videos have "burn down the sandcastle" or words to that effect at the end? It seems like a strange thing to include.

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?

Hedera Helix posted:

Oh whoops, phyllo dough has two Ls in it, not one.

Mico, I have to ask, why do your videos have "burn down the sandcastle" or words to that effect at the end? It seems like a strange thing to include.

There is a very simple answer. Burn Down The Sandcastle.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
because the sandcastle is bad

also because i think its funny

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So how does the "shop" part of Cooking Mama 3 work?

I ask this because I know you'll never show it.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

pandaK posted:

"You can't eat dick."

WRONG

Not to start a terrible derail, but I am super confused by the frequent reiteration of that he was asexual and especially the last line "As an asexual, his genitalia will not be replaced with artificial female ones." What do they think asexual means, exactly? Do they think all asexual people would choose to do this? Do they think asexuality is a gender?

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Probably. Finding out for sure would take effort and research.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

SlothfulCobra posted:

Phylo is great in baklava, but the idea is to layer it a million times. It's not really meant for using as one-ply.

I have a hatred for baklava, the closest I came to dying was tearing into like 3 pieces of it. It was so sweet I didn't even notice the nuts in it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TheModernAmerican posted:

I have a hatred for baklava, the closest I came to dying was tearing into like 3 pieces of it. It was so sweet I didn't even notice the nuts in it.

Life without baklava isn't worth much. You should have kept eating.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
It would be a horrible, agonizing, but honorable death.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Speaking of an honorable death it's time:

Recipe
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chicken-kiev-recipe.html

Soften 1 stick of butter, mix in 1 teaspoon Salt, Tarragon, and Parsley with 1/4 teaspoon Pepper, place the butter on some wax paper, roll it up, and throw it in the freezer to re-solidify.

Take some chicken breasts, butterfly them and flatten them with a meat mallet. Then place them on some plastic wrap, put some of the compound butter in the center, then roll that poo poo up as tight as possible. Place all the chicken roll ups in a bowl or plastic bag and throw them in the fridge or freezer for a while.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and some vegetable oil over medium-high heat.

Take the chicken, salt and pepper each side to taste, then dip in a mixture of 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon water, then dip in panko breadcrumbs. Fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes each. Then transfer to the oven for 10 minutes to make sure they're cooked all the way through.

Music
The Fiery Furnaces - I'm In No Mood
Battleblock Theater Soundtrack - Boss Stage
It Is A Mystery 10 Hour Version

That's all there is, there isn't anymore.

I hope you all learned something. You probably didn't but that's not my fault.

Mico fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 20, 2014

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

Hello everyone, I love you. Thanks for not trying to set my buddy Micolithe on fire for having me in videos feeding you lies. I had a good time and I hope you did too.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

what was the link pins linked halfway through

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?
Shortly after this thread started was when i first met Ejew, Mico and everyone else. This LP and the others that have been done by goonhouse directly influenced me to start.

So by association this thread is the direct cause of me and i couldnt be happier about it. Thanks guys for this wonderful thread.

Burn down the sandcastle.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

Pins posted:

Shortly after this thread started was when i first met Ejew, Mico and everyone else. This LP and the others that have been done by goonhouse directly influenced me to start.

So by association this thread is the direct cause of me and i couldnt be happier about it. Thanks guys for this wonderful thread.

I'm feeling so many emotions right now... but most of all I'm feeling BURN DOWN THE SANDCASTLE

e: shoutouts to shoutouts

I810BUX fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 20, 2014

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Pfff, you don't burn down sandcastles, you have to kick them down.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Thanks for the thread. Good luck this fall, Mico.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

EntranceJew wasn't there, 10/10.

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.
Well, this thread certainly has introduced me to some new recipes I'd like to try out. Now if I actually could afford to get ingredients.

I feel the thread might have been better ending with a dessert rather than an entrée, but hey, it's not that big of a deal. Good luck with your college endeavors, Mico, now that you are no longer obliged to continue this thread.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Thanks for a good time, Mico. Best of luck in school.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Best of luck Mico. Just remember borscht.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

LoonShia posted:

EntranceJew wasn't there, 10/10.

But I was? At least I thought I was. Mico if you're cloning me you gotta tell me these things.

Zanna
Oct 9, 2012
If you need coarse breadcrumbs, and don't have any panko (or need something even bigger), you can take a piece of stale bread (not presliced bagged crap), freeze it, then grate it, which is, I assume, why you grate bread in the game.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
That's some good-looking chicken. Thanks for this LP, Mico. You rule.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Missing Name posted:

Best of luck Mico. Just remember borscht.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I made some meatballs after you made your meat loaf, they were pretty good.

Thanks for the videos.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Many thanks for the LP, dude, it was grand. I learned many things, and grinned at how often Cooking Mama did something weird with their recipes.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just made some spaghetti bolognais last night. While I was at the grocery store I actually checked the episode to make sure I had everything and remembered you explicitly said "tomato, pasta, put in whatever the gently caress else you want". Since the start of this lp I've been cooking more and more. Thank you.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
A thing you should take away from this is that experimenting is okay. If you don't like something about a recipe change it up. It might not work but you'll be able to tell WHY it didn't work and change it next time, and eventually you'll have your own version of something just the way you like it.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

My sister tried to make the spaghetti bolognese.

We wound up with bolognese soup with burnt onion flecks, so who knows what the gently caress happened.

It's pretty hard to screw up curry, though.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Missing Name posted:

My sister tried to make the spaghetti bolognese.

We wound up with bolognese soup with burnt onion flecks, so who knows what the gently caress happened.

It's pretty hard to screw up curry, though.

This happened in my household just recently when my mom tried making a middle-eastern style curry by just using water and half a jar of turmeric, though I can't fault her too much since it's partially because some dumbass friend of hers labelled it as curry powder.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
if only LPs could get goldmined

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

HiipFire posted:

if only LPs could get goldmined

They can? There have been two in the past year. I mean, yeah, it's not like photoshop threads where every other one is goldmined, but it's not unheard of, and this LP especially is one that's unique+good enough that it probably deserves it!

Also this is a great LP and it has made me regret time and time again that my dorm doesn't even allow, like, a hot plate that I could try to cook poo poo on and inevitably fail but at least learn from it!

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 23, 2014

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I'll be archiving all of the vids on my hard drive.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Awesome LP, brah. It will be missed. The flaming mudfort will be missed...

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

pandaK posted:

This happened in my household just recently when my mom tried making a middle-eastern style curry by just using water and half a jar of turmeric, though I can't fault her too much since it's partially because some dumbass friend of hers labelled it as curry powder.

That would still make a pretty lovely curry. Way back in college my mother got me a cookbook written by a couple girls who had formulated these recipes when THEY were in college (because doing your own cooking is "cheaper" than takeout or premade stuff, which is only true as long as you shun fresh fruits and vegetables forever) and they had a recipe for curry that was basically curry powder, water, and nothing else except the chicken you were putting in it. It was terrible and bland, and the texture was gritty and offputting. Good curry needs spices other than just "curry powder" to play with.

That turned out to be a theme with that cookbook, actually, the girls who wrote it were the whitest of the white and they hated flavor and excitement of all kinds. Everything that was supposed to be spicy, wasn't spicy, and everything that wasn't supposed to be spicy, still didn't use any spices or herbs, just to be safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Dr. Buttass posted:

That would still make a pretty lovely curry. Way back in college my mother got me a cookbook written by a couple girls who had formulated these recipes when THEY were in college (because doing your own cooking is "cheaper" than takeout or premade stuff, which is only true as long as you shun fresh fruits and vegetables forever) and they had a recipe for curry that was basically curry powder, water, and nothing else except the chicken you were putting in it. It was terrible and bland, and the texture was gritty and offputting. Good curry needs spices other than just "curry powder" to play with.

That turned out to be a theme with that cookbook, actually, the girls who wrote it were the whitest of the white and they hated flavor and excitement of all kinds. Everything that was supposed to be spicy, wasn't spicy, and everything that wasn't supposed to be spicy, still didn't use any spices or herbs, just to be safe.

Well yeah the water was also problematic but I could rationalize that because our family was only ever familiar with the Japanese bouillon style curry which ever only needed water so I could see where she was going with that.

• Locked thread