Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

C-Euro posted:

How is it possible for any grandma to be bad at cooking? :psyduck: I thought it came with the territory of being a grandma.

anyone brave enough to eat my grandma's roast chicken has to be really fuckin careful to avoid all the pink bits. grandma's deadly technique.

Anyway, good stuff Mico. Adding another vote for QUICHE because I got no sense of eggs and want to see how that poo poo works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I throw everything in the oven, put it on high and bring it out 30minutes later. The mixture of burnt and still frozen stuff evens it out. There I'm a chef.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Spudd posted:

I throw everything in the oven, put it on high and bring it out 30minutes later. The mixture of burnt and still frozen stuff evens it out. There I'm a chef.

Your oven has a "high" setting? Or do you just pick a random temperature that sounds big?

Comment on the video: Do you put your non-stick dishes in the dishwasher? They look kind of worn out, and between the sometimes caustic soaps and the superheated steam dry cycle dishwashers can be awfully hard on teflon. From what I've heard, modern enzyme soaps and low-temp drying cycles can let non-stick pans survive, but all you really need is a drizzle of dish soap and a washrag. That's half the point of teflon in the first place.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Spudd posted:

YES YOU ARE CHEF

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Your oven has a "high" setting? Or do you just pick a random temperature that sounds big?

Comment on the video: Do you put your non-stick dishes in the dishwasher? They look kind of worn out, and between the sometimes caustic soaps and the superheated steam dry cycle dishwashers can be awfully hard on teflon. From what I've heard, modern enzyme soaps and low-temp drying cycles can let non-stick pans survive, but all you really need is a drizzle of dish soap and a washrag. That's half the point of teflon in the first place.

Some people refuse to believe things are clean until they have been put through the dishwasher. These people are often parents who pass on this belief. Not having a dishwasher bothered me to no end for nearly a year because I felt like nothing I washed was really clean. One of my parents insists you have to was things by hand and then put them through the machine.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 30, 2013

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Arglebargle III posted:

It's the grip with the most control. You hand is on the center of gravity of the knife, which allows you to do things that you can't do by just gripping the handle. For example, one of the most efficient cuts is simply rocking the blade back and forth. It's both fast and precise, perfect for dicing small things in large quantities, and it's simply impossible to do by gripping only the handle.

It doesn't make your hand hurt like playing guitar for three hours or something other strenuous activity, it's plenty comfortable. The only thing is that it rubs on the inside of your index finger where most people have soft skin. If you do enough knife work to irritate the skin you will develop a callus after only one or two days of cutting with the new grip and it will never bother you again. Cooks tend to only notice when they haven't done any cooking for a few weeks and their knife callus goes away.

See? Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it. I learned knife skills in a professional kitchen where you might put in 60+ minutes straight with a knife during prep. If you're cooking at home it may not even bother you.

Tried it out and it does seem to be a little better then what I'm used to.

Mico, is Natto even a viable choice? Because if it is, I'm voting for it and also voting for you to film yourself eating it.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
If you don't want to deal with natto, I'm going to vote for pizza from Cooking Mama 1, 2, 3, 4, or World Kitchen. It's bound to be in whichever Cooking Mama you feel like playing.

Pizza is easy and something that anybody can make in even a small or unequipped kitchen. It's customizable to whatever is in the fridge and is fun to make.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think I've actually seen anyone from GWS here yet, odd.

Wooden cutting boards are perfectly safe, probably better than plastic even. If it's a good quality board, the wood itself is slightly antimicrobial. Plus, when you scratch it, the wood will heal itself, sort of, and make the gap smaller. Plastic, the scratch will stay the same size. And never ever ever use a glass cutting board. They'll destroy your knife(ves)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Arglebargle III posted:

Some people refuse to believe things are clean until they have been put through the dishwasher. These people are often parents who pass on this belief. Not having a dishwasher bothered me to no end for nearly a year because I felt like nothing I washed was really clean. One of my parents insists you have to was things by hand and then put them through the machine.

My parents forced me to wash far too many dishes (often twice when the first time wasn't good enough) to ever think that myself. My parents' MO was to put dinnerware in the dishwasher, stuff whatever stainless dishes could fit in the corners, and then hand-wash whatever else was lying around, particularly wine glasses, non-stick pans, and wooden utensils.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

pandaK posted:

Do you make sure the chicken and knife are dry (relatively speaking)? You can also very lightly wipe a bit of oil on the knife with a paper towel and that will make it effortless.

Make sure the chicken is dry? When it's raw?

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
Now that you've flicked the chicken, make a quiche

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Actually they look worn out because I use a metal spatula most of the time. So the center of my pans look totally hosed. Though they're still pretty non-stick so whatever.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Mico posted:

Actually they look worn out because I use a metal spatula most of the time.

...did you stop doing that?

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Camel Pimp posted:

...did you stop doing that?

...mostly

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

While njsyorka attempted to write down the recipe back on page two, I'd still like to request it added to OP if you could, as I plan on cooking along, though I'll likely be a week behind you.

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.
I've never before been in a thread where I wanted to be the person who said this, but, this is the best thread.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Where is the problem happening, when you slice or when you turn the breast/whatever?

If the meat/thing is sticking to the blade and getting pulled apart, you need a sharp knife and a cut that will minimize sticking. For example, holding the knife at a high angle with the point on the cutting board and drawing it towards yourself, through the thing to be chunked, minimizes the knife/food surface area. If you're chopping down/forward with the edge flat to the cutting board you're putting a lot of flat blade in contact with food, which gives it a chance to stick. If I'm having a good day I can even slice a tomato like this without having it fall apart into a mess (until it's chunked of course there's no hope after that)
That's probably it. I'll focus more on the high angle/pull next time I chop something.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Choco1980 posted:

While njsyorka attempted to write down the recipe back on page two, I'd still like to request it added to OP if you could, as I plan on cooking along, though I'll likely be a week behind you.

Can do. NJ got it pretty spot on though I may just link to his post in the OP

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

:siren: Whoa there! It's time for some bonus content. :siren:
Today we're heading to my kitchen for a change to learn how to cook some Huhn Käse!
http://youtu.be/H3bI6aWYyWo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EntranceJew posted:

Today we're heading to my kitchen for a change to learn how to cook some Huhn Käse!

How are we supposed to follow the complex preparation steps to this culinary masterpiece if you don't give us clear and concise instructions? :colbert:

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How are we supposed to follow the complex preparation steps to this culinary masterpiece if you don't give us clear and concise instructions? :colbert:

Here's a transcript of the video: hosted externally.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

EntranceJew posted:

What a masterful piece of performance art. :golfclap:
You should seriously consider applying for a job at a Hollywood production company. They'll love your camera handling skills.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

EntranceJew posted:

Wait wait how many slices of cheese do I use? Cheddar or American? I NEED HELP :gonk:

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

Geop posted:

Wait wait how many slices of cheese do I use? Cheddar or American? I NEED HELP :gonk:

I used approximately 28 slices of IMITATION PASTEURIZED PROCESS CHEESE FOOD. I had to get rid of that accidental purchase somehow.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
That's a lot of chicken for just ~28 pieces of cheese.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

toddy. posted:

That's a lot of chicken for just ~28 pieces of cheese.

You need 10x as much faux cheese as you would real cheese for such a recipe.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

UZworm posted:

You need 10x as much faux cheese as you would real cheese for such a recipe.
Maybe this is for dieting!

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I made the chicken curry recipe tonight, and it was a smash hit with the family. Finally, I can say that watching LPs has objectively improved my life. :allears:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm really good at baking but terrible at cooking why is that

Also Mico please show me how to make a good queso. I have no idea if that is in the game but hey.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Geop posted:

Maybe this is for dieting!

Dieting option: Simply wrap 10 pieces of the cheese around a chicken nugget and cook under a lighter.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

OmniDesol posted:

I made the chicken curry recipe tonight, and it was a smash hit with the family. Finally, I can say that watching LPs has objectively improved my life. :allears:

I'm making it tomorrow night. I kinda have to or else I'm going to have a can of coconut milk in my cupboard for months.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

JT Jag posted:

I'm really good at baking but terrible at cooking why is that

Completely different skillsets, in my experience. Baking is all about getting the correct ratios of ingredients and correct timing of baking them, while cooking for me is about finding flavors, textures, and edible things that go well together.

Hell, you don't see baking everywhere in the world. My GF's parents live in SE Asia and they don't have an oven in their house. I went there and no one has ovens, in fact.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

EntranceJew posted:

I'm disappointed Batman didn't show up to eat the bones, 3/5.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Completely different skillsets, in my experience. Baking is all about getting the correct ratios of ingredients and correct timing of baking them, while cooking for me is about finding flavors, textures, and edible things that go well together.

I always saw it as like saying cooking is like construction, while baking is like chemistry.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Choco1980 posted:

I always saw it as like saying cooking is like construction

Measure twice, cut once? :confused:

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
I would like to request anything vegetarian from the game.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

unpronounceable posted:

Measure twice, cut once? :confused:

Construction isn't always exactly precise, but so long as you use the proper materials and put them together in the right order, you'll get a workable building.

Chemistry, on the other hand, is a very precise science. Even the slightest variance will completely change--and often ruin--the reaction.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Choco1980 posted:

I always saw it as like saying cooking is like construction, while baking is like chemistry.

Sure, I can get behind that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My experience with chemistry is 90% putting alkali metals in water so they explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Okay so guys as it stands, Quiche is gonna win with 20+ votes unless there's some kind of huge upset in the next two days.

Also I finally got around to looking up Natto, which is in second place with like five votes. I'm gagging just thinking about it it looks so bad.

• Locked thread