Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

toanoradian posted:

Can I ask what exactly is the mini food processor that you have, njsykora and Mico? Is Mico's literally just 'Mini Food Chopper'?

Mico said his was a cheap Walmart one, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

And mine's a cheap Argos one, but full size rather than a mini.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

ChaosArgate posted:

How well does this curry go with bread? I'm a bigger fan of dipping bread in my curry than eating it with rice.

Aside from rice, a chicken curry goes well with a crusty baguette in my experience.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

toanoradian posted:

Can I ask what exactly is the mini food processor that you have, njsykora and Mico? Is Mico's literally just 'Mini Food Chopper'?

Mine just said Mini Food Chopper in white text on a blue box. I dont have the box anymore but there's no brand indicated anywhere on the food processor

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
So I made this curry last night. I could not get the chilies that you have in the video, as I live in Arizona so pretty much all of the stores only carry southwestern style chilies, but despite that it came out pretty well. It was a bit too spicy for my wife (again, the fault of the chilies) but I thought that it had a decent kick and pretty good flavor.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

BlueGrot posted:

Surface moisture turns to steam when you sauté it, leading to the meat being boiled instead of getting a nice sear. This is why you don't want to crowd a pan also, because all of the rendered moisture boils the meat and makes it dull and boring.

So like, pat it down with a paper towel to get the moisture out? I'm certainly not going to let meat dry out on the counter or whatever.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

So like, pat it down with a paper towel to get the moisture out? I'm certainly not going to let meat dry out on the counter or whatever.

I'm very familiar with this strategy.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Choco1980 posted:

I rinse the cutlets off when I take them out of the package, then pat them dry with a paper towel. That's always worked for me.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Oh man, I never knew about washing the rice. Gonna do that from now on.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

Correct, but you can also leave the steak on the counter for an hour to bring it to room temperature before cooking, unless the steak is really thin.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

BlueGrot posted:

Correct, but you can also leave the steak on the counter for an hour to bring it to room temperature before cooking, unless the steak is really thin.

I've heard it's a horrible idea to leave food out on the counter (to defrost or otherwise) as it will develop loads of bacteria that way. I've only heard this about chicken but I assume steak wouldn't be any different?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The T posted:

I've heard it's a horrible idea to leave food out on the counter (to defrost or otherwise) as it will develop loads of bacteria that way. I've only heard this about chicken but I assume steak wouldn't be any different?

Steak and other red meats are usually more acidic compared to chicken. Bacteria just can't penetrate into it like it can with chicken, so it's otherwise safer to leave a steak out to defrost than a chicken. An easy way to safely defrost chicken is to give it a water bath at room temperature while it's in a plastic bag. It will take a few hours, but it's much safer than just leaving it out by itself.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

pandaK posted:

Steak and other red meats are usually more acidic compared to chicken. Bacteria just can't penetrate into it like it can with chicken, so it's otherwise safer to leave a steak out to defrost than a chicken. An easy way to safely defrost chicken is to give it a water bath at room temperature while it's in a plastic bag. It will take a few hours, but it's much safer than just leaving it out by itself.

And then when you make the steak, you typically sear it in a (preferrably cast iron) pan heated to jet engine temperatures, so any bacteria that have congregated on the surface will no longer be an issue.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The T posted:

FDA guidelines say 2 hours is the maximum for food to be at a temperature between 40-140F, aka the temperature danger zone, which is the range at which bacteria thrives. Leaving a steak out for an hour won't hurt it, though whether letting it come to room temperature or not is *slightly* debatable as to it's benefit. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/UCM257049.pdf here's a handy little sheet from them, actually.

Also, an even better way to defrost chicken is to leave it in your fridge for a day. It keeps it at a safe temperature, and it's less likely to tear (continuous waterflow could damage it, or the rapid shrinking of ice crystals.)

http://british-chinese.blogspot.com/2008/06/rice-to-wash-or-not-to-wash.html and here's a succint post on the washing of rice. Puts it to words better than I could have.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

pandaK posted:

Yep, this is exactly what I do! After an hour it's well thawed. My mum tends to package up chicken for me to put in my freezer and she has one of those... I don't know what to call them, suction repackager things that seals them in little bags and sucks out all the air, so no risk of leakage in water there.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.foodsaver.com/category.aspx

Food Saver is one of the bigger name brands. They're vacuum sealers.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

pandaK posted:

An easy way to safely defrost chicken is to give it a water bath at room temperature while it's in a plastic bag. It will take a few hours, but it's much safer than just leaving it out by itself.

This is my OH gently caress ITS STILL FROZEN WHY IS IT STILL FROZEN strategy.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Doesn't running cold water defrost things quicker? I hear that's what you're supposed to do.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Tyty posted:

Doesn't running cold water defrost things quicker? I hear that's what you're supposed to do.

Yes! Running water, even cold, will thaw something out much faster than submerging it in room-temperature water will. :science:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tyty posted:

Using cold water is largely a safety guideline. It doesn't defrost faster; that's actually quite opposite the point.

Edit: oh, RUNNING cold water. Yeah, that's faster than submerging it. Good to know I was beaten on timeliness and reading comprehension.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 5, 2013

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Oh I thought we were talking about running water to begin with. Whoops.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I have neurosis about letting water run. It's how we would defrost giant blocks of fish in the zoo, and it would drive me nuts having to do meal prep AND watch all that water run down the drain. It got to the point where they had me do something else while the capelin defrosted (but I was a volunteer and they were happy to work around my crazy in exchange for free labor, it was nice)

This is what runs through my mind every time someone leaves the water running. I STILL feel uncomfortable about it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcZbN0Z08c

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
The best part is that the water bill from City of Lodi for my apartment complex is pro-rated. I pay the same every month no matter how much I use. I could in theory let that poo poo run 24/7.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mico posted:

The best part is that the water bill from City of Lodi for my apartment complex is pro-rated. I pay the same every month no matter how much I use. I could in theory let that poo poo run 24/7.

Until they notice that your water usage is suddenly outrageously high. Then they charge you for it.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Star Man posted:

Until they notice that your water usage is suddenly outrageously high. Then they charge you for it.

Nope! My complex is so old that there are actually no meters for water on the property.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Suspect Bucket posted:

I have neurosis about letting water run. It's how we would defrost giant blocks of fish in the zoo, and it would drive me nuts having to do meal prep AND watch all that water run down the drain. It got to the point where they had me do something else while the capelin defrosted (but I was a volunteer and they were happy to work around my crazy in exchange for free labor, it was nice)

This is what runs through my mind every time someone leaves the water running. I STILL feel uncomfortable about it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcZbN0Z08c

Wow. I don't think I've seen that in 20 years and I still remember it. Sesame Street was influential!

InspectorSands
Feb 19, 2011

I am here to inspect your kitchen sink!
You know, all this rice washing made me think that I've never washed my rice yet it never seemed to become sticky after cooking. After actually reading the label better, it says that the rice doesn't stick together. Well, it never is sticky so that part is right, but that just makes me wonder how. Prewashed rice maybe? Sounds like such a strange thing to sell, but eh.

I never put potatoes in my curry, I feel like the rice already is enough and with potatoes, there just would be way too much to eat. I think it's still very good, but what do I know.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mico posted:

Nope! My complex is so old that there are actually no meters for water on the property.

So your next dish will have a dash of asbestos. All right!

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

So your next dish will have a dash of asbestos. All right!

This isn't Cooking for Bachelors with Sam & Max...although, if Mico is a bachelor, it might work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44FXvPWNqSI

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'd like to jump in with a small tip regarding oil. When you're heating oil in a pan, put a small bit of whatever you're going to sauté (onion, mushroom, whatever) into the pan with the oil. That way, when the oil is warm enough, the onion piece is already browning.

A delightful LP so far. I also found it weird how there are potatoes in curry, but sure, I guess it works.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Okay so I just finished cooking the quiche.

Spoiler alert it's loving DELICIOUS.

Stay tuned for a video in the next few days.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I'm excited for this thread and most definately will be cooking along. I consider myself a 'pretty good' cook, I cook at least every other day and the stuff I make tastes good. I'm just not very creative, so more recipes are always welcome.

Skgrey
May 22, 2007

Saved from balloon animal hell, a place of many sharp, spiky objects.

Call Now posted:

My grandma on my mother's side is pretty bad at cooking because she never had to cook for herself or anyone until grandpa died so it happens

I think that's the saddest thing I've ever read.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Skgrey posted:

I think that's the saddest thing I've ever read.

My mother is a terrible, terrible cook. The last time I went to visit her she tried to feed me roast beef that tasted worse than catfood (might have been off, cause they never throw poo poo away), old spongy "marinated" chicken, she made BBQ chicken from meat that was off, and when I was a kid, the favorite for her was Velveta Grilled cheese.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

It comes

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Bacon Sausage and Chorizo Quiche
Cooking Mama 2: Cooking With Friends

I adapted this recipe from Emeril Lagasse's Quiche Lorraine recipe and made a few changes of my own. If you prefer to kick it up a notch his version can be found here.
Considering I had never made this before I think it came out excellent.

Makes about six servings.

The Crust
1 and 1/4 Cups Flour
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
Ice water

In a large mixing bowl, mix together all ingredients except the water with an electric mixer.
Add the water 1 tablespoon at a time until it begins to stick together.
After a while switch to kneading by hand, keep adding water until you can form the dough into a ball.
Transfer the dough to a ziploc bag and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, up to 2 days.
After that, lay out a piece of parchment paper and lightly cover in flour.
Roll the dough out with a rolling pin until just about the size of your pie pan.
Transfer the entire thing, including the parchment paper into the pie pan and flatten it down into the corners.
Toss in the fridge until ready to bake.

The Filling
6 strips bacon
1/2 package ground sasuage
1/2 package pork chorizo
1/4 tablespoon White Pepper
A Dash of Nutmeg
2 whole eggs and 2 egg yolks
1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/2 cup Shredded Monterey Jack
1 and 1/4 cup Half and Half

Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C)
Cut the bacon into small pieces and fry in a pan. Once done remove to a paper towel to drain the fat. Save the bacon grease in the pan if you want to.
Toss the pie crust in the oven for about 10 minutes.
Cook the sausage and chorizo in the same pan, stirring until cooked through, probably about 7-10 minutes on med-high heat.
In a mixing bowl, add the nutmeg, white pepper, eggs, cheese, half and half, and sasuage/chorizo and mix well.
Around now the pie crust should be ready. Remove it from the oven and line the bottom with the bacon pieces.
Pour the egg and meat mixture into the crust, and bake for about 35 minutes.
Once complete, remove from the oven and let cool for about 15 minutes. If you have a wire cooling rack this would be preferrable but I don't so I just leave it on my stovetop.
Slice and serve. Hope you like cholesterol!

Music to cook by:

1 Souleye - Pushing Onwards (VVVVVV Soundtrack)
3 Sigur Ros - Untitled 08 (Popplagiđ)
4 Vim - No!

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Voting is now open!

Also I have learned that Natto is in Cooking Mama 4, on the 3DS. Which means I literally cannot record it. So pick something else. Preferably something less digusting.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Paella since it's my favourite meal from Nandos.

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

Hey can none of you vote so I can wait until Mico plans to record and then ask him to make whatever I'm craving for dinner that day ok tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
How about something light and simple - tempura. It's even part of all the games, so you can choose which version to make.

Regarding separating yolks from whites, I hear people like to use an empty water bottle, though I've never done so myself. Squeeze the bottle, place the end over the yolk, and release to suck it in. Personally I just use my hand to fish the yolk out of the bowl.

• Locked thread