Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Chorizo is NOT blood sausage. Mico's wrong. It's pork sausage smoked in chili peppers and is super greasy. But it's spicy and delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

toanoradian posted:

I would make Mico's recipes but I can't eat bacon or blood sausage :( What other types of meat is good for quiches?

Another vote for Borscht. It's time I tried an entirely new vegetable.

Anything, really. Quiche is an amazingly flexible dish so if you've got something you like such as chicken sausage it'll work
Basically if you'd add it to an omelette it should be fine in a quiche.

I like mushrooms and bell peppers.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Chicken is good for a quiche, but you can go veg and do something like a fetta and spinach quiche. Or roast some veggies and do some veggie quiche. Roast some tomatoes, that poo poo is amazing in a quiche. Crumble some blue cheese into the egg mix, if you want.

Basically, do whatever you want with it, just keep the egg+cream+cheese mix to pour over.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

toanoradian posted:

I would make Mico's recipes but I can't eat bacon or blood sausage :( What other types of meat is good for quiches?

Steak or any other steak-looking meat is a decent substitute considering how many times you see steak & egg combos on breakfast menus.

DairunCates
Jan 23, 2013

toanoradian posted:

You don't even need meat really. Quiche is frequently done with spinach instead, and it's still VERY good. Meat is just for people that like their Quiche a bit more breakfasty. Honestly though, a LOT of things go good with Quiche. Experiment and look around the net.

You might start here. Although, most of those aren't Kosher (which is what I assume the problem is, here, based on the meats you specifically can't eat). There IS a mexican taco quiche on page 2 though. That could be interesting.

DairunCates fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 19, 2013

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

As Alton Brown once said, Quiche is just a fancy pants name for Refrigerator Pie. It's really more than that, but it is seriously a great way to use up leftovers. Episode 2 Supplemental Viewing: The Egg Files II: The Man With a Flan (all about custards), up through the 6 Minute mark for Quiche. A bit of a different ratio for the Quiche's egg mixture used, but recipes and techniques can always vary after all.

Man, I always wish I had more room that I could work with in my home's kitchen...and more/better hardware.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

toanoradian posted:

The beauty of Quiche is you can put whatever the gently caress you want in it. Mushrooms, Spinach, Broccoli, Chicken, the sky is the limit.

I just did breakfast foods because eggs is the base and in my mind I auto associate Eggs with Breakfast

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

toanoradian posted:

If it's the pork thing, I've read that the most applicable replacement for pork is probably Lamb or (Especially) Veal (maybe a well done Chicken Sausage) with Turkey (or Beef) for the Bacon.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 19, 2013

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Great thread you got here. Makes me really want to try a quiche now. I've never actually had one before, but they sound tasty. Eggs + meat + pie. Mmmm.

I'm gonna put a vote in for gnocchi. I have tried making that once and it turned out... okay. I'd love to see what your take on it is.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

PrinceRandom posted:

If it's the pork thing, I've read that the most applicable replacement for pork is probably Lamb or (Especially) Veal (maybe a well done Chicken Sausage) with Turkey (or Beef) for the Bacon.

I had to sub in lamb for pork in something I made recently and it worked pretty well so give that a shot.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

PrinceRandom posted:

I converted to turkey kielbasa years ago for reasons of fat intake and I have to say I cannot taste a real difference between that, the normal mixed meats, and the 100% beef varieties of sausage. Turkey spam is good, too (and is much lighter than "light" spam), provided you cook it into something strong.

kitwew
Jul 23, 2013
fuuuck that quiche recipe looks good, dude. I've honestly never ate one before so I'm tempted to give the old girl a go

great video made me cum would recommend to others

dresq
Jan 28, 2012

So... do you have many friends who aren't involved in crime?

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I converted to turkey kielbasa years ago for reasons of fat intake and I have to say I cannot taste a real difference between that, the normal mixed meats, and the 100% beef varieties of sausage. Turkey spam is good, too (and is much lighter than "light" spam), provided you cook it into something strong.

+1 on the turkey kielbasa. Its other advantage is that it tends not to have the gristly bits often found in the regular stuff. I'm sure some purists will disagree with me on that point, but I think it's an improvement.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This is an interesting thread concept, and as a bonus it's introduced me to Cooking With Dog!

dustiestrain
Feb 22, 2013
This is really interesting but the actual cooking parts feel a bit slow at times.

dustiestrain fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 23, 2013

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

dustiestrain posted:

This is really interesting but the actual cooking parts feel a bit slow at times.

Just imagine cooking without jumpcuts, it's dreadful. Not to be mistaken for the cooking technique where you throw your food items in the air and swing your knife at them.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
I'm voting for borscht as someone who would have it at least once a week growing up, but apparently most people eat it cold? My mom only ever served it hot for me and cold borscht sounds really gross.

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

I really don't want to eat borscht guys, can you please not

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
You drat philistine. What's wrong with awesome beetroot and strips of beef drenched in an almost unnecessarily flavorsome soup?

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Sundowner posted:

You drat philistine. What's wrong with awesome beetroot and strips of beef drenched in an almost unnecessarily flavorsome soup?

Because to eat it correctly, you have to add 4 tablespoons of sour cream to it. Not that it's unusual for Ukrainian soups.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
Well that just sounds delicious, no?

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I loathe sour cream.

As an ingredient? I can maybe deal with it. As a topping? Hell no.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

I have never been able to use sour cream in a way that doesn't overpower everything else. I am also lazy and find it difficult to apply.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Mico posted:

I loathe sour cream.

As an ingredient? I can maybe deal with it. As a topping? Hell no.

Boil some beets and tomato juice into beef broth, add chunks of beef and assorted vegetables, and whatever else you've done you've made borscht. It's a peasant stew that's popular across nearly half of Europe, so there's plenty of room for variations.

The Nautilus
Jul 24, 2012

HELLO
Hey everyone I'm Mico's sister. While he was home we didn't have any time to record a thing talking about grandma's horrible cooking so I'm here to spin some stories.

Our grandma is a horrible cook. I just want to confirm that outright. I actually wrote a paper about how bad my grandma is at cooking for a college class. I'll start out with the event Mico alluded to in the OP. Our grandmother uses television shows to time how long she cooks food and this usually means she has cooked things for far too long.

Me and my brothers were spending a week with our grandparents as we typically did in the summer. This meant it was my grandmother's duty to feed us lunch. I was about 11 years old at the time and this is when Conan O'Brien was rerunning on Comedy Central during the day. I asked for some Mac and Cheese (simple blue box Kraft stuff) as an episode of Conan started and my grandma said "ok" and went off into the kitchen.

Eventually I noticed Conan was already on his musical guest and I had still not eaten. I went into the kitchen to find out what was going on. It turned out that dear old grandma had been boiling my noodles THE WHOLE TIME thinking she'd just let me eat when I was done watching my show. That's correct, she boiled 8-minute noodles for well over 45 minutes. When I was finally served the pasta was just no longer pasta. It had become a gelatinous mass that I really can't describe properly. It was gooey. The spoon was able to slide easily through the elbow pastas. The weird part was that the pasta had become such a consistency that it didn't matter that the spoon was sliding right on through, they kept their shape. I don't know how someone even does that to pasta.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

The Nautilus posted:

Our grandma is a horrible cook. I just want to confirm that outright. I actually wrote a paper about how bad my grandma is at cooking for a college class. I'll start out with the event Mico alluded to in the OP. Our grandmother uses television shows to time how long she cooks food and this usually means she has cooked things for far too long.

Next week: A Lord of the Rings trilogy marathon and a box of minute rice combine to form the world's tiniest charcoal briquets.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
There is a reason grandma took us to McDonalds alot, and that was why.

The Nautilus
Jul 24, 2012

HELLO

Mico posted:

There is a reason grandma took us to McDonalds alot, and that was why.

Mom says it was because grandma was just too lazy to cook for us. I don't even care if this is true I'm just thankful grandma rarely cooked.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

The Nautilus posted:

Mom says it was because grandma was just too lazy to cook for us. I don't even care if this is true I'm just thankful grandma rarely cooked.

After hearing that story? I don't blame you. I'd even eat loving McDonalds over that.

Maybe not Burger King though.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

The Nautilus posted:

The spoon was able to slide easily through the elbow pastas. The weird part was that the pasta had become such a consistency that it didn't matter that the spoon was sliding right on through, they kept their shape. I don't know how someone even does that to pasta.

Your grandma is a :techno: phase space monster in the kitchen.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Hi, I quiched:

This thing is so rich I had to eat a lot of salad to make up for it.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
I enjoy the gif. It is neat.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Oh god, if this is anything like your SMG thread, it'll be an epic multi-year journey.

Subscribed.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

I didn't see the tray changes so I thought all those shots were happening from inside a magical science oven.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Putting my vote in for borscht, loving this LP so far. If you feel willing to let another goon commentate, I'd be down. I was just teaching myself to cook a few years ago, and since then I've been working towards a career in kitchens.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
Looking at the recipe list, there's pretty much no West Indian food, which is super lame. No Jerk chicken? Not even Bakes? What a travesty. There's Jambalaya, I guess but that's more of a US thing.

I will vote for Borscht for now.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I've seen/heard of some pretty spectacular cooking failures and I've always wondered how one could manage to screw up that badly.

Your grandmother has given me a certain amount of insight on the matter.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I made gnocchi because my roommates were all "dont make borscht please oh god" so I did the homemade gnocchi intstead.

I have not started editing the video yet, but holy poo poo I cannot emphasize enough how not worth it creating homemade gnocchi is. It took me four hours. I would much rather just spend 3 bucks on the prepackaged stuff at Food 4 Less instead and keep about 3:55 in free time.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
But how did it taste?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Mico posted:

I made gnocchi because my roommates were all "dont make borscht please oh god" so I did the homemade gnocchi intstead.

I have not started editing the video yet, but holy poo poo I cannot emphasize enough how not worth it creating homemade gnocchi is. It took me four hours. I would much rather just spend 3 bucks on the prepackaged stuff at Food 4 Less instead and keep about 3:55 in free time.

You should kick all of your roommates out and invite people who like Borscht in. The thing is... Borscht is still pretty god drat amazing without any of the sour cream (or alternative) stuff. (I'm totally guessing it's the sour cream because I thought someone mentioned not liking that part? Or was it the beets?)

• Locked thread