Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

(Also, why bother with lemon juice when real heroes use lemon pepper?)

You're dead to me, Weaver.

I vote for Tempura, and you should probably make it *really* soon if those are fresh scrimps, Mico. If they're frozen, do it whenever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Man, I'm going to troll my neighbour with this, we're both wanting to go food shopping later this week, and his hunger pangs will be mightier than mine after watching that video!

Also, Gyoza, because I've seen the other two done.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Sundowner posted:

I vote Borscht :colbert:
(I vote Tempura)

I also vote borscht like a petulant child.

but really gyoza I guess, since tempura is just fried breaded shrimp

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
Gyoza!

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011
Shrimp Gyoza.

theonlypie314SA
Mar 19, 2013

Going with Gyoza.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
It's just gotta be gyoza!

Bomb-omb Texting
Sep 24, 2009
Have to be gyoza. Also borscht

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I'll take one order of tempura please

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
One of the things I hear again and again, both from cooking friends and cooking-show commentary, is that hand-making pasta is going to be a lot of grief unless you're a master chef, and the payoff isn't going to be a big benefit over what you could just pick up at a supermarket. The robots pretty much have it down.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Glazius posted:

One of the things I hear again and again, both from cooking friends and cooking-show commentary, is that hand-making pasta is going to be a lot of grief unless you're a master chef, and the payoff isn't going to be a big benefit over what you could just pick up at a supermarket. The robots pretty much have it down.

While you're pretty much right that the payoff isn't going to be much better, it's really not that tough to do pasta by hand. I think doing it by hand also lends that certain satisfaction that comes with having put together a meal from scratch to the final product.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
With how cheap pasta is at a supermarket? Yeah that's a hard sell to make.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
Something that I've heard from various people is that handmade pasta tends to go better with certain sauces than instant, although who knows how true that is. Fresh pasta certainly had a lighter texture on the few occasions that I've had it.

It is a lot of effort to make, but if you get a pasta bike it is also a lot of fun, I used to make my own lasagne sheets occasionally because I didn't think making lasagne was time-consuming enough or something. It is satisfying to sit down and eat something you produced entirely by your own hand though, and I do think that at least in that case homemade pasta was appreciably better than dried sheets.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Glazius posted:

I'm not sure if my Italian grandmother counted as a master chef (she was drat good either way, though), but I'm certain that her pasta was far and away better than anything I've ever picked up at a supermarket. That said, there was so much effort involved that even she only made it for special occasions.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

FWIW, it's not that much extra effort to roll out pasta sheets and all that, it's something like an hour total for me. Store-bought is fine though, but it's definitely got a different texture than fresh. However, making gnocchi at home is a whole other thing entirely and I only suggested it so that we could revel in Mico's suffering :getin:

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

When we had gnocchi, we had at least three people rolling and cutting the pasta. Even then it still took a long time to feed four people and stock the freezer.

Making cutlets was also a three-person job. One for the flour, one for the egg, one for the breadcrumbs. Since the youngest person got the least desirable section of the assembly line, I wound up with breadcrumb gloves every time.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Missing Name posted:

Making cutlets was also a three-person job. One for the flour, one for the egg, one for the breadcrumbs. Since the youngest person got the least desirable section of the assembly line, I wound up with breadcrumb gloves every time.

Give 'em a swift taste of breadgloves.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I wouldn't say breading meat is a time intensive job (though it is a mess pretty much all times), but I'm under the impression that completely making pasta by hand will take you like, all day. Significantly less so if you have something like the aforementioned Pasta Bike to make your noodles for you. I mentioned earlier Bitchin Kitchen for her Gnocchi method (which involves baking the potatoes for longer than Mico boiled his). She uses a small machine on her show too. She whips up the dough (which is the easy part always) kneads it a little, flattens it, then feeds it through the machine.

tamrael
Oct 30, 2010

We broke it. Yes, we were naughty. Completely naughty. So, so very sorry. But just between you and us, it felt quite good.

pandaK posted:

Oh god, please at least put down a moist paper towel under the cutting board to make sure you don't move it all over the place and accidentally cut yourself because of it.
Seeing his awesome Excalibur grip knife technique, I sort of morbidly expect this thread to get called on account of someone losing a finger :ohdear:. Please, please start with some proper knife technique.

Glazius posted:

One of the things I hear again and again, both from cooking friends and cooking-show commentary, is that hand-making pasta is going to be a lot of grief unless you're a master chef, and the payoff isn't going to be a big benefit over what you could just pick up at a supermarket.

Nonsense. Homemade pasta, it is incredibly easy and something I would recommend everyone try sometime. An extremely basic recipe is:
~14oz flour (for bonus points, up to half of this can be semolina for better taste/authenticity; exact measurements are largely unnecessary, as the kneading process tends to incorporate 'enough')
4 eggs
1 pinch salt
Optional: 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Get a clean expanse of counter (or a very large mixing bowl if your counter is not smooth) and pour the flour out in a mound. Make an indentation in the center of the mound and add the eggs and salt (and oil, if you're using it) to this. Swirl your finger through the eggs until they come together, bringing in small amounts of flour from the walls of the mound until the eggs are no longer massively runny. At this point, you can begin kneading in the remainder of the flour. You're aiming for a dough that is smooth to the touch (not sticky) but still pliable. This is usually achieved by simply allowing the dough to take up as much of the flour as it wants to -- if it starts having visible flour on the surface of the dough ball that isn't incorporating well, you know you've got enough. Overall kneading time should usually be around three minutes. If you think your dough is too stiff, add a small (like, 1 tsp) amount of water. If it's sticky, add a touch more flour. Exact amounts will vary up to a couple tablespoons either way based on your particular flour and climate conditions (yes, really).

Once the dough is formed, wrap it in plastic (or a tea towel) and let it sit at room temperature for an hour. At this point, you can roll it out into a thin sheet and cut into whatever shape is applicable. Rolling can be done with a dedicated machine, an attachment for a stand mixer, or a rolling pin. Once rolled into sheets, you can slice it into strips for fettucine or linguine, use sheets for lasagna, or make homemade ravioli (take one sheet intact, plop on small amounts of a filling, cover with a second sheet, press out the air bubbles, seal, and cut).

Cooking time should be short -- a couple minutes tops for fresh pasta. Don't overcook it.

You're seriously talking like fifteen minutes top of actual work, and the result kicks the crap out of store-bought.

E: also, voting gyoza

tamrael fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 13, 2013

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Why is it socially acceptable to eat shrimp, but not maggots?

Not that I'm saying it's okay to eat maggots, it's just really not-okay to eat shrimp. Ew.

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Petr posted:

Why is it socially acceptable to eat shrimp, but not maggots?

Because you usually do not find shrimp squirming around in a dumpster.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

A Memorable Name posted:

Because you usually do not find shrimp squirming around in a dumpster.

No, just in fish fecal matter.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

To be honest, I'd say it's because maggots are bugs, and first world cultures don't like eating such "low" animals. Everything I've heard about maggots says they're flavorful and very nutritious.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Maggots tend to be associated with rot (in Western Culture I guess). Association can cause huge mental blocks in eating things.

Edit: vvv I don't really like shrimp all that much either; I think it's kinda flavorless and I'm a horrible wuss when it comes to textures.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 13, 2013

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Really, I was just joking about how shrimp are bugs and I think they're gross.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

tamrael posted:

Seeing his awesome Excalibur grip knife technique, I sort of morbidly expect this thread to get called on account of someone losing a finger :ohdear:. Please, please start with some proper knife technique.

That's not a piece of gnocchi you got there in your bowl there :unsmigghh:

Choco1980 posted:

To be honest, I'd say it's because maggots are bugs, and first world cultures don't like eating such "low" animals. Everything I've heard about maggots says they're flavorful and very nutritious.

Crustaceans are literally sea bugs.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

pandaK posted:

Well yes, but your average American doesn't know that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't know about the maggots you guys have been dealing with, but the only ones that I've ever seen aren't really big enough to harvest much meat from (and especially not worth the effort). At least with shrimp you can cut out the poop tube by hand.

Also, I don't think you're ever in danger of having shrimp wriggling all over your body, so there's that association that you have to deal with.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also, I don't think you're ever in danger of having shrimp wriggling all over your body, so there's that association that you have to deal with.

You never explored the beach's tide pools as a curious little kid.

:smith:

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy
Borscht.

gently caress tha police.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Petr posted:

You never explored the beach's tide pools as a curious little kid.

:smith:

It was the crabs that got me in Hawai'i. My dad thought it was the funniest thing he ever saw. It probably was.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Voting tempura because it was the only option that gave the slightest chance of not being shrimp.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

My vote's for gyoza since it's the only one of the bunch that I haven't seen done. That chickencheese looked pretty delicious

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Mico please get a cutting board with little rubber feet on the underside, or put a silicone mat underneath your cutting board, or something. You're going to hurt yourself :ohdear:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Shrimp borscht tempura

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maggot chat, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu have some cheese.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Wikipedia posted:

Casu marzu is believed to be an aphrodisiac by Sardinians.

How!? That stuff sounds like the stuff of nightmares! :stonk:

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

ChaosArgate posted:

How!? That stuff sounds like the stuff of nightmares! :stonk:

Spanish Fly has been considered an aphrodisiac for a very long time worldwide and it's just a crushed up beetle that can kill you if you eat too much of it. Some people get really weird with that poo poo and they should probably stick to chocolate, or maybe normal people methods of getting laid.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

pandaK posted:

The issue isn't over classification so much as whether or not you might encounter them when you open your trashcan. We don't generally eat many raccoons, pigeons, or squirrels, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The issue isn't over classification so much as whether or not you might encounter them when you open your trashcan. We don't generally eat many raccoons, pigeons, or squirrels, either.

Depends on what part of the country you live in.

• Locked thread