Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Pork Dumplings from Cooking Mama 2: Dinner with Friends

I like this thread, it has reinforced my desire to start cooking again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
You could probably just completely cut out the cutting chicken part after the first few cuts. Hopefully everyone watching the videos is at least aware of how to cut a chicken breast. :v:

Also, I don't know if its pro-as-gently caress knife technique, but when possible I speed up cutting stuff by lining stuff up and cutting it all once. So like when you were cutting the chicken breasts into three chunks, line multiple slices up in a row and boom, way faster.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
This is cool! It was a neat idea for you to do the game recipes and then do them in real life, Mico. Nice concept.

I really should cook more myself, so I appreciate the cooking tips. Generally simple things like stir-fry are good enough for me, but I don't cook for other people. You really cook for both your roommates Mico? That's an awesome thing to do.

Looks like the next recipe is going to be a Quiche. :bandwagon: After that though, I'd like to see Jambalaya from Cooking Mama 2: Dinner with Friends because it seems different enough to be exciting but not excessively difficult (also it has a fun name).

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Mico, Quiche is SO EASY to make that you should learn. It's a great way to eat on the cheap. My favourite is doing like a hot wings style thing where it's basically chicken and Frank's Red Hot sauce and eggs in a pie crust.

Also the first video was gooooood. I am enjoying this.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Skippy Granola posted:

Mico, Quiche is SO EASY to make that you should learn. It's a great way to eat on the cheap. My favourite is doing like a hot wings style thing where it's basically chicken and Frank's Red Hot sauce and eggs in a pie crust.

Also the first video was gooooood. I am enjoying this.

I do shredded chicken, scrambled egg, some garlicy sauce and some cheese in a crust myself. Not exactly what you could call quiche, but drat if it isn't tasty.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
rinse your loving rice, god.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
You're holding your knife poorly. What you should do is hold the blade with your thumb and index finger, and use your other fingers to hold onto the handle. It should look something like this and this.

I think Quiche sounds good for next time.

Gado
Jul 29, 2010
I don't care how you make it happen, Alex. But you gotta the show the world Chicken Pterodactyl

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I just put ricebags in boiling water for 10 minutes :shrug: Is there a huge difference?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Oh man, I've played almost all the Cooking Mama games and have been inspired to make a lot of the food from it.

That being said, I've never seen the Avocado Gratin before. That sounds pretty awful. I think you should try it.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Call Now posted:

I just put ricebags in boiling water for 10 minutes :shrug: Is there a huge difference?

No, but you get ripped off compared to loose rice. And cooking rice really is no rocket science. Plus there are all kinds of rice that don't get packaged in convenient bags.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I'll try it soon, I guess. To be honest, rice pisses me off, every time I cook it, no matter in how much water it cooks, the rice water plops out of the pot and fries itself on the electric stove and it's such a bitch to clean :suicide:

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009
Great idea OP. Anyways, get a rice cooker. They are, by and large, dirt cheap and just about the easiest appliances in the world to use.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I want to hear more stories about your grandma's cooking. I don't really care what you make next.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Quiche seems to be winning this round, but I'm requesting Spaghetti Bolognese from the original Cooking Mama as a future one, mostly to see your personal recipe for it. A good meatsauce isn't too horribly complex, but is more than ground hamburger + spaghetti sauce, and is fantastic.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~
Haven't even seen any content yet but you get a 5 for the thread name.

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011
How about Loco Moco from Cooking Mama 2?

amishbuttermaster posted:

Great idea OP. Anyways, get a rice cooker. They are, by and large, dirt cheap and just about the easiest appliances in the world to use.

Unless the guy eats rice often, a rice cooker is unnecessary. But he still needs to rinse his rice until the water is clear :colbert:

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

Pfefferbao posted:

How about Loco Moco from Cooking Mama 2?

Unless the guy eats rice often, a rice cooker is unnecessary. But he still needs to rinse his rice until the water is clear :colbert:

You'll find there's a fair amount of debate on whether or not one needs to wash their rice. Without getting into that debate, why do you think rice needs to be washed?

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Mico you should cook Natto

Trust me on this.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Tyty posted:

Trust me on this.

Oh yeah, full trip report on this one, please.

"Well my rice looks like a peep show floor and it smells like a diaper. HERE GOES."

And then the thread is locked forever.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

quote:

3. No I can't do a Babysitting Mama joke video, Gamefly doesn't have Babysitting Mama because they don't ship periphrerials (babies). Just imagine I gave the baby sunglasses, a pack of Camel Crush, and I'm blasting Skulls by The Misfits in the background.

I uh, need to call my ex-wife I think. I didn't realize that Misfits weren't okay for your child to listen to. Nothing like riding in the car while in the backseat a three year old starts belting out "Some Kinda Hate".

Anyways, totally bookmarking the thread, because I've been wanting an excuse to cook more, especially for my girlfriend, because I'm totally the spoiling type. Anyone else planning on cooking along with the LP? I'd totally post results if others do. And it looks like next week I'll be learning how to cook a Quiche for sure.

Oh, and Mico, would you mind writing up the instructions in the OP as well as having the video links?

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011

You'll find there's a fair amount of debate on whether or not one needs to wash their rice. Without getting into that debate, why do you think rice needs to be washed?

It gets rid of the excess starch so it's not gummy and the grains are separate.

bumblingbee
Dec 30, 2012

Gregbus? Gregbus, what's wrong? Answer me! GREGBUS!

Tyty posted:

Trust me on this.

Seconding the idea of Natto.

bumblingbee fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 29, 2013

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

Pfefferbao posted:

It gets rid of the excess starch so it's not gummy and the grains are separate.

Unless of course you like your rice sticky. Depending on the type of rice and preparation method you can achieve a similar result by using slightly less water to cook it. When I do a long-grain rice I use a 1/8 cup less water than what is typically called for.

There are some things that absolutely should be washed prior to preparation though. Dried beans for instance. You need to wash the beans to get rid of dust that will almost certainly be present but it also gives you the opportunity to go through and find things that shouldn't be there. Pebbles for instance.

a bloody icon
Apr 22, 2012

Ascetic Crow posted:

Make Instant Ramen from Cooking Mama.

Cooking is hard :negative:

Cooking is piss easy, it's like 90% waiting.

e: unless you're making a roux because a roux is the neediest little bitch ever.

a bloody icon fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 29, 2013

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

a bloody icon posted:

Cooking is piss easy, it's like 90% waiting.

e: unless you're making a roux because a roux is the neediest little bitch ever.

Oven Roux will be your saviour.

a bloody icon
Apr 22, 2012

Archenteron posted:

Oven Roux will be your saviour.

Oh my god it is like viewing the world with fresh eyes

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Haam posted:

rinse your loving rice, god.

If its enriched rice do not rinse your rice.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
How is it possible for any grandma to be bad at cooking? :psyduck: I thought it came with the territory of being a grandma.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

C-Euro posted:

How is it possible for any grandma to be bad at cooking? :psyduck: I thought it came with the territory of being a grandma.

Seriously. My grandma chain-smoked the whole time she cooked and it still turned out delicious. Now smokey turkey is nostalgic.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble
This is an excellent idea for an LP and I am interested to see where it goes.

... On that note, please cook us up some delicious NATTO.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

I wonder how many debates this thread will inspire that would be right at home in Goons with Chickencheese :allears:

That was some nice looking curry there, Could you possibly write down all of your directions for the recipe you use for those of us who are bad at cooking and need hand holding?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

TheShadowAvatar posted:

I wonder how many debates this thread will inspire that would be right at home in Goons with Chickencheese :allears:

That was some nice looking curry there, Could you possibly write down all of your directions for the recipe you use for those of us who are bad at cooking and need hand holding?

Based on the rice washing discussion I'm going to assume someone's going to have a brain meltdown every update over something.

As for the recipe I went through the video and transcribed it the best I could, because I want to toss it in my recipe folder as well.

quote:

Mico's (Thai?) Chicken Curry
Serves 3 nerds

Ingredients
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Vegetable oil
1tbsp chopped garlic
1.5tsp salt
0.5tsp ground black pepper
2tsp ground coriander
0.5tsp tumeric (turmeric?) powder
2tbsp ginger powder
2-3 dried chiles de arbol
2 russet potatoes
1 shallot
1 15oz can of coconut milk
1 can diced tomatoes

1) Slice the chicken breasts into chunks
2) Peel and cut up the shallot
3) Wash and cut up the potatoes
4) Pre-heat and oil up a pan
5) Throw the potatoes into the pan and stir them around a bit
6) Throw the shallots, garlic, chiles (after removing the stem), ginger, 1/4 of the tomatoes and 1/2 the can of coconut milk into a blender and blitz the lot
7) Add the chicken to the pan
8) Cook rice however the hell you want, Mico uses a 2:1 ratio with chicken stock
9) Mix the coriander and tumeric/turmeric, the salt and pepper in a glass. Add that to the pan and stir around until it coats the potatoes and chicken
10) Add the sauce to the pan, then rinse out the blender with the remaining coconut milk and throw that in too, mix it all up
11) Leave the pan to simmer on a low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally
12) Throw the rice and curry onto a plate and chow down

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The great thing about making curry is that you can add basically anything and it would only make it taste better. Literally any spice works in curry, but you can also add oddball ingredients like apple puree, coffee, and gourd vegetables. You would have to try really hard to gently caress up a curry.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Curry that isn't spicy what kind of godless LP are you running here

(I know there are non-spicy curries like Masaman, I've just been dating a Thai woman for close to six years now so if curry is made in our kitchen you better get ready to have your soul burnt out. Also try Masaman curry if you can, it's delicious)

Though I have to admit, I haven't heard of vegetables taking longer to cook than meat before. I've always been in the habit of cooking the meat first since a) undercooked meat will mess you up more than undercooked veggies, and b) I tend to slice my veggies pretty small and/or thin.

E: I can't remember where I heard it but I always toss in a single bay leaf with my rice, it gives it a subtle extra flavor but makes the rice smell great, which helps the overall dish.
Also thank you for vindicating my need to have a giant spice cabinet, my GF always makes fun of it but she rarely puts much seasoning on whatever she makes.
And if goons are looking for more curry practice, I've had this GWS wiki recipe saved for a while and it's the trifecta of good food- cheap, easy to make, and tasty.
I hate coconut too, but coconut milk doesn't really taste like coconut to me. At least, once you get all your curry seasoning in there you won't be able to taste the coconut.
Also a word of warning if you haven't user turmeric before- it stains pretty bad so careful not to spill it, especially once it's dissolved in liquid.

Oh God, I think this is the LP where I finally sperg my way out of this subforum.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 29, 2013

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad you reference Alton Brown. This is really loving interesting and I wanna cook more now. I usualy cook using curry cubes so I'm not gonna ge in this bitch about that.

Beef stroganoff

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Herr Tog posted:

I'm glad you reference Alton Brown. This is really loving interesting and I wanna cook more now. I usualy cook using curry cubes so I'm not gonna ge in this bitch about that.

Beef stroganoff

Well, Good Eats IS one of the best Cooking Shows.

Also, Supplemental Viewing for this episode of Let's Play Chickencheese Cooking Mama with Mico is The Curious Case of Curry or just Curry-ous, a Season 13 episode of Good Eats. Now, it's actually one of the handful of episodes of Good Eats that have been blocked on YouTube in the US by Scripps, but if you have Comcast's Xfinity On Demand (only one I know for sure does), you can watch it there. It'll be listed as Ep. 16 under Season 13 on On Demand.

Also, good job Mico. Hopefully things won't be AS bad as they were with Galaxy.

Volfogg fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 29, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh my god dude those knife skills.

1. Hold the knife by pinching the base of the blade between your thumb and (curled) forefinger, and wrap your other three fingers around the top of the handle. Your forefinger knuckle should be just about where the blade meets the handle. (It will hurt afterwards, and you will develop a callus in like 1 day.)

2. You already know you're holding the food wrong and why that's bad. Hold the food the right way. It won't take long to get used to.

2. Chunking two chicken breasts does not take that long! Just slice the breast vertically into strips of desired width WITHOUT MOVING THEM (better grip will help a ton with this) then grab the stripped breast and give it a quarter turn. Slice vertically again and voila! Chunked chicken breast in under 10 seconds.

Rice is easy to do right but also easy to do wrong. How to rice:

1. Put the rice in a pot/rice cooker. The only difference is that if you cook rice in a pot you have to manage the temperature yourself.

2. Wash the rice 3 times or until clear.*

*This is non-negotiable. Washing the rice removes starch powder from the rice turning the finished product from gluey glop to fluffy mounds of delicious. It also removes anything on the rice grains that you might not want, like old arsenic-based pesticides if you get your rice from the US. If you prefer unwashed rice you should just accept that you prefer doing it wrong.

3. Put water in the pot until it is 1/2 inch above the rice, easy mode is to put your (clean) hand on the rice. The water should come up to just cover your knuckles.

4. Bring to a boil uncovered. (or just push the button on your rice cooker)

5. When rice is at a boil, watch until the water is just above the level of the rice. (if you have a rice cooker, wander off for half an hour)

6. Cover and reduce heat to the lowest possible. (if you have a rice cooker maybe you could go check SA or something)

7. Set a timer for 30 minutes

8. DO NOT UNCOVER THE RICE FOR ANY REASON I mean seriously unless there is literally black smoke pouring out of the pot

9. when timer goes off remove from heat, uncover and let rest for 5 minutes before lightly fluffing and serving

Curry Pro Tip use curry powder :confused:

Real Japanese Curry Pro Tip Take 1/4 to 1/2 your potatoes and carrots and vegetables and give them a good goopifying in a food processor, then mix them back into the pan. It gives you that thick smooth japanese curry roux texture without sacrificing flavor.

Compliments: I like your spice choices. Turmeric and coriander is a classy combination.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 29, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Unless of course you like your rice sticky. Depending on the type of rice and preparation method you can achieve a similar result by using slightly less water to cook it. When I do a long-grain rice I use a 1/8 cup less water than what is typically called for.

If you like sticky rice buy sticky rice, don't gently caress up long-grain rice.

There are a lot of people in the US who prefer rice wrong because many, many grandmas/moms had no idea how to cook rice properly and people grew up with gluey, gloppy rice. It's also true that instant rice does not need to be washed because it's already been washed and parboiled at a factory. Instant rice is godawful though and a silly concept to boot.

Oh and in the U.S. rice is fortified with vitamins by adding vitamin powder to the surface of the rice. This is why the government recommends you do not wash rice before eating. Whoever came up with this method of fortification clearly didn't know poo poo about rice and sometimes government policies make no sense. This is one of those times. If you are posting in this thread you do not need your basic grains supplemented with vitamins, just put some vegetables in your meal you goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Geeze, just look at the GWS explosion going on in this thread. I may have to buy archives just to refer to this thread for recipes/advice later on. :v:

Seems like you're onto a good thing here, Mico. Keep it up!

• Locked thread