Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Longinus00 posted:

You're thinking of the Cantonese specific version which is pan fried. "Chow mein" literally is stir fried noodles. Lo mein is when you just mix noodles with a sauce. I believe your confusion comes from American Chinese cuisine where you can call your dish whatever you want and no one will know.

Cooking Mama is Japanese so I'd assume that all their Chinese recipies are going to be actual Chinese food (or close enough) and not American Chinese.

Hmm. Well, the Chinese restaurants in the city where I live are at least internally consistent, because at every one the difference between chow mein and lo mein has simply been whether the noodles are crunchy or soft respectively. I'm not just talking about the takeout places, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

pretend I'm emptyquoting this

actual vote: samosa

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Longinus00 posted:

My bad, you're right. I didn't really pay attention to the Cooking Mama part of the video when I watched it earlier but the end product does looks like noodle soup with "knife cut noodles".

This video demonstrates the technique a little better than Cooking Mama does for those who are interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTQ08c_S_nE

Ok, that makes more sense than shaving what seemed to be an egg. I vote spaghetti on the proviso you make your own pasta. :colbert:

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Hmm. Well, the Chinese restaurants in the city where I live are at least internally consistent, because at every one the difference between chow mein and lo mein has simply been whether the noodles are crunchy or soft respectively. I'm not just talking about the takeout places, either.

According to wikipedia's extensive article about chow mein, the name issue is apparently a regional thing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chow_mein#American_Chinese_cuisine

quote:

There is a regional difference in the US between the East and West Coast use of the term "chow mein." On the East Coast, "chow mein" is always the crispy or "Hong Kong style."
On the West Coast, "chow mein" is always the steamed style, the crispy style is simply called "Hong Kong style". There, the term "lo mein" is not widely used.
A few of the references in the American Chinese section are fun reads, especially the NY times articles.

Also I forgot to vote: samosas.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Hot & Smoky Chicken Kiev for the topical factor (i'm so sorry)

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I want to watch Mico make crepes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

What was with Cooking Mama's chow mein? Chow mein means the noodles are fried and hard; lo mein is what you call it when you add soft, boiled noodles instead.

Kiev some chicken.

Chow mein is only crispy in cantonese restaurants mostly in the US. Chow mein means fried noodles, you have to fry the absolute crap out of noodles to make them crispy.

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

Mico posted:

If there's a cooking mama game with latkes in it this is news to me.

Also Latke's are alot of loving work you basically have to hand squeeze all the juice out of a potato and its loving miserable.

Really? I've never done that, and I've been making them since I was a kid. Though this probably explains why my mom covered the area where the stove was with newspaper...

Also, samosas.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

constantinople posted:

Really? I've never done that, and I've been making them since I was a kid. Though this probably explains why my mom covered the area where the stove was with newspaper...

I weep for your soggy latkes

Semquais
Dec 5, 2013
Spaghetti Bolognese

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

It's gotta be Spaghetti Bolognese.

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

Mico posted:

I weep for your soggy latkes

They never came out like that, but I guess I make them pretty thin.

e: Actually I'm liar with a bad memory, I believe we more or less just strain them after shredding them up. Which still isn't some immense task.

the_sea_hag fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 6, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Mico, is it wrong that it's a lot more fun for me to watch you actually cooking than it is for me to watch you playing Cooking Mama?

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

Glazius posted:

Mico, is it wrong that it's a lot more fun for me to watch you actually cooking than it is for me to watch you playing Cooking Mama?

No, in fact I would argue that is almost literally the entire point of the thread. The fact that the Cooking Mama games are basically all just a series of lovely minigames that actually teach you very little about real life cooking. All the VA is amazing tho.

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

did chicken kiev win yet rsvp

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Spaghetti Hollandaise wins.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
so can we expect the update in May?

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

HiipFire posted:

so can we expect the update in May?

May 2015, yes.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Anthony Bourdain says that hollandaise sauce is a gross bacteria breeding ground confirm/deny

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Anthony Bourdain says that hollandaise sauce is a gross bacteria breeding ground confirm/deny

Lemon juice, egg yolks and butter. Draw your own conclusion~! :eng101:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

It's basically hot mayonnaise.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

I'm the YouTube ad button.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Thumposaurus posted:

It's basically hot mayonnaise.

This is a horrible lie and you are awful. Also, hot mayonnaise has a proud tradition in many cultures.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Do spag bol bro. It's the least Italian of the Italian foods!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Forget the borscht, the spag bol, and the rest of it. I see what I want to eat.

Anyone have any info on this bra busting beauty?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
it's me, i'm the one with the gazongas

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mico posted:

it's me, i'm the one with the gazongas

Wait, nooooooo. I've seen you in videos cooking. Unless gazongas are some kind of foodstuff you bought in a giant package.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Samizdata posted:

Wait, nooooooo. I've seen you in videos cooking. Unless gazongas are some kind of foodstuff you bought in a giant package.

from costco

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?

Welcome to costco i love you.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Pins posted:

Welcome to costco i love you.

I wish I could hear that in the town I lived in.

Of course, then I could get my law degree....

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
For those who care I recorded the Spagheppi footage, I just have to edit and commentate it now. Except as I mentioned in the Beyond Two Souls thread I have a new job so I'm not sure how long it'll be until I get into the swing of things there.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Mico com home and make hte spagheti! :dance:

Best of luck at your new job.

Speaking of jobs, a guy I work with is named Nico and I get it wrong at least once a day. "My name isn't Mico, dude"

~you're always in my thoughts~

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Mico posted:

the Spagheppi

Insaniquarium LP crossover Spaguppy

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

pandaK posted:

Insaniquarium LP crossover Spaguppy

Spaguppy is when you throw up from eating spaghetti because it's gross.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

EntranceJew posted:

Spaguppy is when you throw up from eating spaghetti because it's gross.

hey with the right sauce that poo poo is delicious

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
The secret ingredient is onion

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Mico buy a vegetti so you can make beet spaghetti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Oh hey what a video

Sorry that took so long. Real life poo poo and all that.

Recipe

Take a box of your favorite spaghetti. Or any kind of pasta really. Prepare it according to the directions on the box (salt the water, boil it, cook it, drain it)

But the important bit here is the sauce.

1 jar Tomato Sauce, any variety you want. I used Trader Joe's brand Garlic Tomato Sauce in the video but I generally just buy whatever is on sale.
4-6 strips bacon
1/2 tube Sausage
1 lb ground beef
1 half onion, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
And whatever else you might want to add

This isn't rocket science really.

Cook up your ground meats, add some cooked bacon, the onion, and cook in the same pan until the onion is slightly translucent.
Dump all that poo poo into a sauce pot big enough for a ton of meat + a jar of tomato sauce. Allow to simmer for however long it takes for you to get water boiling and pasta to be done.

Once the pasta is cooked, mix the sauce in. It's that simple!

Music
Seinfeld Dubstep Remix
The Fiery Furnaces - 1917
Handsome Furs - Face Control

Voting
Samosas
Chicken Kiev
Chicken Kebabs

• Locked thread