Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I would play the poo poo out of Science Papa :frogc00l: Also, I'm super-crazy about my chicken breasts! If I use 'em for anything (which is very very often), I do a few little things:
  • Step One, wash off them breasts.
  • Step Two, put said breasts in a large zip-lock bag, one at a time.
  • Step Three, THIS. SHOW IT WHO'S BOSS. Also, don't close the zip-lock bag. What I do is I fold the end of the baggie upward. This way, you aren't really cutting off air (meaning the bag would pop), but you're stopping the breast's residual water/juices/bits from splattering everywhere. Lots of people say to use seran-wrap, but I HATE SERAN WRAP. It is evil and unpredictable.
  • Step Six, this is a personal preference, but I hate having ligaments/odd bits on my chicken breasts, so I cut 'em off. Picky? Yeah. But I cook for myself so whatever.
  • Step Five, choppy-time! I just pop this along the fronts and backs of the breasts.
  • Step Six, brine-time! I usually do 4-6 breasts at a time. Meaning I prepare them for the week, of course. Put the breasts in a big zip-lock bag, fill said bag with water, and put in 1/4 cup of Kosher Salt.
  • Step Seven, refrigerate for at least an hour.
Then, do what you will! :v: I'm pretty busy typically and dead tired when I come home (work, gym, etc), so I love doing a simple sous vide with these. In essence, it's poaching, I guess you could say. Anyhow, I typically sous vide at 146 for an hour (using a single pat of butter per breast), then sear it on the stove (after seasoning it a tad, of course). Medium-High, Grapeseed oil, one minute each side. Oh yeah, get a splatter-screen for this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

EntranceJew posted:

:siren: Whoa there! It's time for some bonus content. :siren:
Today we're heading to my kitchen for a change to learn how to cook some Huhn Käse!
http://youtu.be/H3bI6aWYyWo
Wait wait how many slices of cheese do I use? Cheddar or American? I NEED HELP :gonk:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

UZworm posted:

You need 10x as much faux cheese as you would real cheese for such a recipe.
Maybe this is for dieting!

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

One thing that I am confused about in the recipe used here is that it didn't call for the butter to be creamed/whipped (well, Mama's recipe did). It really helps make a difference in baked stuff :shobon: Makes the texture more appealing, from what I've seen. Slice butter in to tiny pieces (increase surface area, meaning it'll get to room temperature faster), then mix for a bit to get it all gooey and creamy. Lots of pastries and breads call for this mixed with sugar in the earlier stages of the recipes.

Also, if you ever have issues spreading out dough, put in a tiny bit of water. I've made pretzels in the past, and those things can be motherfuckers to work if they're a bit too dry (like Mico encountered with the pie crust here). An extra teaspoon or two of water might've made a huge difference in helping him flatten it out. For folks trying to get a circular shape going on, I've found that using something large and circular-shaped can help ease this along. Maybe not use it as a press of sorts, but a large plate as a "mold" could help you spread out the dough 70% of the way if you wanted to go that route. Just a shortcut method if you're worried about it getting too oblongish :v: Bonus tip: some folks use the ring on the underside of plates for things like this pretty often (ie: consistent burger patty sizes and thicknesses). Plates are handy!

There is a slight difference between how white pepper and black pepper taste, but I've never been able to really spot it; I think it boils down to aesthetics for some people maybe v:v:v Or those with a more sensitive palate.

Egg whites themselves can give a more fluffy texture to cakes/breads that require them. Typically you'd separate it out, mix it with some cream of tartar, and fluff the whites until what the recipe wants (soft peaks are usually what I've encountered). Of course, that's just before you bake in most cases (and you FOLD it in for these situations). But that's another thing entirely.

Regarding egg white separation, there are a few key things behind this (Skippy and I were actually discussing this recently):
0) WASH YOUR HANDS. You use them a lot in this process.
1) Crack the egg on a FLAT SURFACE. Everyone I've ever seen uses an edge/corner; don't do this. You get stray shell fragments in there pretty often, an ugly shell-break, and a good chance of the yolk getting pierced. Pop it on the counter-top twice (or once after you get a feel for the eggs you're dealing with) so that you can open the shell with your fingers. Once you get used to this, you can get close to a lid-like action with the top shell half.
2) Get two bowls (three if you are keeping the egg yolk). Hold the egg over the first bowl, opening the eggshell itself. If you got a good break in it, you can toss aside the top half and you end up with an almost bowl-like bottom eggshell half.
3) Put your free hand's fingers along the side of the egg and pour its contents in to your hand. Bear in mind that eggyolk is super slippery-like. The white will spill off in to the bowl, but you need to be tricky to keep the yolk in your hand. What I do is I will part my fingers in that hand SLIGHTLY. Basically, use space between your fingers as a strainer of sorts. The white and its extra bits will fall in to the bowl below your hand and you end up with a neat, cleanly-separated yolk. Plop it in to the sink or wherever you want it.
4) Grab a new egg. Remember the extra bowl? Well, you are going to use ONE bowl for your present egg. After you get a cleanly separated egg white, dump that in to the original bowl with the additional whites. This way, if you gently caress up, you won't ruin the entire egg white batch.

I've never screwed up egg white separation with this process. Ever. It's simple and awesome.

Also, was there an editing cut at the whisking part? :colbert: That wasn't a good whisking, sir!

On a more important note...

Geop fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 11, 2013

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Sundowner posted:

For separating egg yolks you could just use this genius tactic :v:
I love finding nifty new shortcuts for cooking things :buddy: Might try that out if I ever get better water bottles (since Ozarka bottles are crap).

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

yoshesque posted:

It's probably best known for its use in making balaclava.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

To be fair, I make that mistake constantly, albeit in the other direction (and rarely out loud, mostly since I don't ever really encounter either).
I manually inserted the typo in the quotebox :ninja: Yoshesque got it, but that's what I interpreted it as!

• Locked thread