Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.
I've never before been in a thread where I wanted to be the person who said this, but, this is the best thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

One of my favorite "Celebrity" chefs makes Gnocchi Al Forno. Very delicious stuff!

Mico I can take this down if you don't like it.

Edit: I hope you upgraded your masher to one of these.

It's the only masher worth a poo poo.

Dickey Butts fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 15, 2013

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Thanks so much for the Borscht recipe, my girlfriend and myself have been fiending for the stuff ever since the borscht-chat came up in the thread. Totally trying this out.

Oh, and not that the competition is close, but voting Gyoza

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

We're pretty much just making fun of you because, you know, doritos. Any crumbly dry thing works (corn flakes, bread, chips, saltines).

Honestly, yes, but doubly so for saltines, they work really loving well.

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

I've got to see the Bolognese just to watch my girlfriend's head explode when you don't get it JUST RIGHT!

Edit: Why are you using canned cabbage? Fresh Napa should be available pretty much anywhere in the states and will have a much less sloppy texture, plus it's gotta be cheaper.

Edit 2: Some of the cabbage hate is forgiven, since you used some Frank Black (plus it's a cover of an Elvis song for bonus points).

Dickey Butts fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 1, 2013

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

I can get not wanting to waste a whole head for a teaspoon, but for other people attempting this, I'd stress trying to buy a small head of cabbage. It's as Argle said, a very versatile vegetable, and if you shred it raw, mix it with a little hot sauce, vinegar and oil (salt and pepper to taste, of course) it makes a killer topping to any fish tacos. And yes, will knock out in a stir fry. I guess I'm just used to trying to use up what I have in the fridge from having a poor people complex :shobon: so I forget some people aren't trying to constantly figure out how to use that last piece of sausage with spring onions that are on the edge or whatever.

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sub mayo for a little olive oil, only a little sugar, heavy on the vinegar and spices. Add lots of other veggies (I like carrot, raw zucchini and radish if I'm feeling frisky) as well as lemon juice. Let it marinate for at least an hour. Not in any way traditional, but I think it works well. Honestly it's the creamy texture that I think puts most people off. Oh, and hot sauce works really well in this combo, specifically Chipotle Cholula.

Dickey Butts fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 2, 2013

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Where I'm from (California), when you say "Cole Slaw" people immediately think of that horrid mayonnaisey stuff you get at KFC.

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

The same is true for macaroni salad. (That is not an invitation to post that Wanda's macaroni salad video)

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Honestly that wad of smushed and lightly basted tofu looks worse than their attempt at making a roast turkey look bad. For the most part (this is not the place to discuss this, I stress!) Peta are just a bunch of pernicious, well intentioned idiots. I'm voting Fried Chicken if only to (hopefully) demonstrate how to properly deep fry at home, because that poo poo is DANGEROUS.

ED: Shatner fry a bird (and he like it)

Dickey Butts fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Oct 22, 2013

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Renzuko posted:

I'm gonna go fried rice because it's a thing I make somewhat frequently and am 100% sure I'm loving it up somehow.

The biggest trick is to use day old rice. Everything else is absolutely secondary to that.

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

That is a thing a terrorist would do.

Ed: [/butt solidarity]

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Ed: Does cooking mama ever do aspic?

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

How about something made with micogreens?

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

So did nobody tell the Japanese that you're supposed to use a wheat bun as a handy meat holder for hamburgers?

Also, if you'd like your hamburger to have way less fat than Mico's, then get a George Foreman grill and grill that sucker up. The non-stick coating means there's no oil needed, and the grill is specifically designed to let the beef fat drip out while frying the meat on both sides simultaneously! You'll have to add the cheese after it's cooked, though, because that poo poo gets everywhere if you try and melt it on the grill. Also, try using ground turkey instead and soak it in some beef broth. The texture will be off from what you're used to, but the taste is close enough to count!

Since you didn't stuff your burger, I suppose I'll have to ask you stuff your chicken Kiev instead.

Speaking of low fat burgers, I tried doing steamed hamburgers this last weekend thanks to this thread and a timely episode of Man VS Food introducing the technique. They actually came out really good. Basically you just use a veggie steamer and put your burger patties in a cleaned tuna can (or something of similar size). Steam them for like 10-15 minutes. You can just pour off the fat when they're done and it's remarkably tasty. I would definitely recommend adding some bacon because it is missing a little bit of the smokiness that usually come with the char. On the other hand, the steamed cheese is amazing looking.

ED: Ch-Ch-Ch-Chow Mein!

Dickey Butts fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Did that thing puff up during the steaming, or do you really prefer rolling your burgers into balls instead of patties?

They puff like mad. I am not a burger baller.

• Locked thread