Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Petr
Oct 3, 2000
So I can't cook at all. I want to try to learn, but cast iron is super-trendy so everything says to use a cast iron pan. My boyfriend doesn't want to get one because he thinks it's too much of a pain in the rear end. Regardless of whether he's right, can I do things like the curry in a regular pan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

If it's a pot or a pan that can withstand the boiling point of water, it can cook most any kind of basic dish (PS: curry is pretty drat basic). Now while seasoning a cast-iron pan has benefits like forming a non-stick barrier and trapping some interesting flavors in the oils which then get passed into whatever else you cook, someone new to cooking like yourself would be better off using something chemically treated to be non-stick, like Teflon or one of its knock-offs. Non-stick coatings have their own set of rules to follow, but they're easier to remember and cleaning them is a breeze.

Thanks. One of the reasons I don't cook is that I get hung up on the details. Oh, I don't have that pan, I can't do it. Oh, I've never seen that ingredient in my supermarket, better find a different recipe.

It's really sad, I'm 31 and have cooked maybe ten times in my life.

Edit: God, I love chorizo, but there is no place around here to get it. I've looked.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I've got all the pans and stuff since my boyfriend does all the cooking. He just doesn't want to get a cast iron pan because he thinks he'll need to do loving organic chemistry on it every night for ten years before it will work.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Why is it socially acceptable to eat shrimp, but not maggots?

Not that I'm saying it's okay to eat maggots, it's just really not-okay to eat shrimp. Ew.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

A Memorable Name posted:

Because you usually do not find shrimp squirming around in a dumpster.

No, just in fish fecal matter.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Really, I was just joking about how shrimp are bugs and I think they're gross.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also, I don't think you're ever in danger of having shrimp wriggling all over your body, so there's that association that you have to deal with.

You never explored the beach's tide pools as a curious little kid.

:smith:

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Voting tempura because it was the only option that gave the slightest chance of not being shrimp.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Voting cornbread. With a side of fried chicken, if you must.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Spaghetti Bologna

I want to see how you make noodles into a thin disc

• Locked thread