Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Spudd posted:

I throw everything in the oven, put it on high and bring it out 30minutes later. The mixture of burnt and still frozen stuff evens it out. There I'm a chef.

Your oven has a "high" setting? Or do you just pick a random temperature that sounds big?

Comment on the video: Do you put your non-stick dishes in the dishwasher? They look kind of worn out, and between the sometimes caustic soaps and the superheated steam dry cycle dishwashers can be awfully hard on teflon. From what I've heard, modern enzyme soaps and low-temp drying cycles can let non-stick pans survive, but all you really need is a drizzle of dish soap and a washrag. That's half the point of teflon in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Some people refuse to believe things are clean until they have been put through the dishwasher. These people are often parents who pass on this belief. Not having a dishwasher bothered me to no end for nearly a year because I felt like nothing I washed was really clean. One of my parents insists you have to was things by hand and then put them through the machine.

My parents forced me to wash far too many dishes (often twice when the first time wasn't good enough) to ever think that myself. My parents' MO was to put dinnerware in the dishwasher, stuff whatever stainless dishes could fit in the corners, and then hand-wash whatever else was lying around, particularly wine glasses, non-stick pans, and wooden utensils.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Walrus Pete posted:

Look man, queso means cheese. If you're telling me that there's a dish out there just called "cheese" well then that's pretty stupid.

In American English, at least, "queso" is most often short for "chili con queso."

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

Actually, when I hear Queso, I usually think of the mexican style cheese dip. The comparisons to salsa above are not unfounded.

Chili con queso is the Mexican-style cheese dip and alternative to dipping salsa. It refers to basically any food whose main ingredients are at least one kind of melted cheese and chili peppers.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Depends on the bread. A nice, thick cut of some solid bread would probably work well, especially if you toast it a bit.

I think a hardy Italian sourdough would work best with curry.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Spudd posted:

Oops I didn't see your reply, by high I mean 230 to 250 degrees celsius, I have no idea how much that is in fahrenheit probably a lot.

That is on the high end of oven temperatures, yeah. You know, if you're willing to be more patient, ovens cook things more evenly at low temperatures, around 150-175 C. High temperatures are more for small or thin items like cheap frozen pizzas that cook quickly and evenly regardless.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

pandaK posted:

I separate egg yolks straight up with the two halved shells: keep the egg contents inside one half and just constantly swap the yolk back and forth. Something about the shell makes it perfect for cutting the whites from the yolk. Just keep a bowl underneath to catch the drippings and you'll be left with a perfect yolk in a half shell.

The problem with that method is that if you aren't perfect with it or don't crack the egg right you can get the yolk caught on an edge and broken.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

To be fair, I make that mistake constantly, albeit in the other direction (and rarely out loud, mostly since I don't ever really encounter either).

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

Apparently borscht is winning, which I'm not sure I've actually tried. My mind keeps going to gazpacho every time I hear the word.

Sounds like it's a pretty basic tomato/beet vegetable soup, possibly (but not necessarily) made with beef and beef broth. I don't think Campbell's makes a borscht, but I figure if you dumped a can of beef stew in with a can of tomato stew (chunky soup, not that thin concentrated stuff) you'd end up with a decent imitation.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

PrinceRandom posted:

If it's the pork thing, I've read that the most applicable replacement for pork is probably Lamb or (Especially) Veal (maybe a well done Chicken Sausage) with Turkey (or Beef) for the Bacon.

I converted to turkey kielbasa years ago for reasons of fat intake and I have to say I cannot taste a real difference between that, the normal mixed meats, and the 100% beef varieties of sausage. Turkey spam is good, too (and is much lighter than "light" spam), provided you cook it into something strong.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Mico posted:

I loathe sour cream.

As an ingredient? I can maybe deal with it. As a topping? Hell no.

Boil some beets and tomato juice into beef broth, add chunks of beef and assorted vegetables, and whatever else you've done you've made borscht. It's a peasant stew that's popular across nearly half of Europe, so there's plenty of room for variations.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Petr posted:

So I can't cook at all. I want to try to learn, but cast iron is super-trendy so everything says to use a cast iron pan. My boyfriend doesn't want to get one because he thinks it's too much of a pain in the rear end. Regardless of whether he's right, can I do things like the curry in a regular pan?

If it's a pot or a pan that can withstand the boiling point of water, it can cook most any kind of basic dish (PS: curry is pretty drat basic). Now while seasoning a cast-iron pan has benefits like forming a non-stick barrier and trapping some interesting flavors in the oils which then get passed into whatever else you cook, someone new to cooking like yourself would be better off using something chemically treated to be non-stick, like Teflon or one of its knock-offs. Non-stick coatings have their own set of rules to follow, but they're easier to remember and cleaning them is a breeze.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Knee-yah-key! :argh:

And next time drizzle the gnocchi with garlic oil instead of bloating them with butter. Oh, and remember to test your potatoes with a fork to find out if they're done; if it slides in and out without resistance (obligatory :quagmire:), they're finished.

(Also, why bother with lemon juice when real heroes use lemon pepper?)

(And yes, fresh mozzarella balls are utterly delicious. Pretty simple, too; it's just fresh cheese curds kneaded together in salted water. You could make it at home with the right ingredients.)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Glazius posted:

One of the things I hear again and again, both from cooking friends and cooking-show commentary, is that hand-making pasta is going to be a lot of grief unless you're a master chef, and the payoff isn't going to be a big benefit over what you could just pick up at a supermarket. The robots pretty much have it down.

I'm not sure if my Italian grandmother counted as a master chef (she was drat good either way, though), but I'm certain that her pasta was far and away better than anything I've ever picked up at a supermarket. That said, there was so much effort involved that even she only made it for special occasions.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

pandaK posted:

Crustaceans are literally sea bugs.

The issue isn't over classification so much as whether or not you might encounter them when you open your trashcan. We don't generally eat many raccoons, pigeons, or squirrels, either.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

Using things like chips or cereal as a breadcrumb crust only sound gross until you try it. Though I'd be real hesitant for Doritos myself. That strong "nacho" cheese flavor would be a bit of a distraction.

That might be true normally, but your average tomato sauce is pretty good at overwhelming any other flavor foolish enough to rear its head, so Doritos aren't the worst idea for chicken Parmesan. It's still significantly more greasy than normal breadcrumbs, though.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Captain Pissweak posted:

I was getting that too.

Anyway down for meatloaf since I am Australian and what the gently caress is a meatloaf.

Meatloaf is a pound or so of ground beef, a cup (250ml) of breadcrumbs, an egg to make it the right consistency, and then pretty much whatever else you want to throw in. I remember my mom made a pretty drat good meatloaf by adding in powdered mustard and ketchup, among other spices. We also baked it in a ring pan so it would cook more consistently.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

sentrygun posted:

I'm cool with the desync because it just sounds like some drunk guy is talking to himself in the background. :v:

As for the meatloaf itself... Well, it was meatloaf. Meatloaf just isn't very exciting, except when it's moldy pockmarked jello by mama.

It can get pretty exciting if you mix in ketchup and a little brown sugar. Hell, just mix in the stuff you'd use for a glaze and really infuse the loaf with flavors.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

If you put sugar in cornbread at all there's something wrong with you. :colbert:

What's your policy for sugar on cornbread? Finishing baked cornbread with a light sugar glaze is SOP around here. Cornbread we don't use to mix with and cover a delicious blend of tomato sauce, ground beef, and cheese, I mean.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Mico posted:

I'm gonna call it in favor of Beef Stew

The votes were REALLY close though, I'm thinkin I'm gonna just make Beef Stew then do Fried Chicken and Cornbread as the very next update.

Plus I found a REALLY loving GOOD fried chicken recipe that we had last night and I'm dying to make it again.

Since you're saving cornbread for the fried chicken, I must insist you bake (American) biscuits along with the beef stew. Biscuits taste wonderful when you dip each flaky layer into the beef stew.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Egg noodles go better with stroganoff than with stew in my family's opinion. Also, tomatoes are not an essential part of beef stew as good old Dinty Moore goes to show. Can't say I quite figured out how you intended to cut that poor shallot, though.

In more personal food news, I made a drat fine gumbo the other day. I started with a Zatarain's mix and added turkey sausage, Hormel canned chicken (I don't use chicken breasts often enough to justify buying a bunch for one meal), celery, and a can of okra (too far north to find the fresh stuff). Oh, and a few healthy splashes of Frank's Red Hot Sauce to bring the heat. I also realized for the first time that if you slowly stir in a flour-based mix instead of dumping it all at once, you'll avoid filling the soup with disgusting clumps. It's too bad Cooking Mama doesn't know any Cajun, because that stuff was delicious.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Khisanth Magus posted:

Apparently it is a fact that for some people the addition of any amount of cilantro to something makes it taste like they are eating soap. Which must suck for eating out.

I guess that could be related to how some folks think raw onions taste utterly vile.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

UZworm posted:

No, most people that think that think that because onions DO taste utterly vile.

Go to a Greek restaurant and say that again.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Khisanth Magus posted:

Your delicious delicious trans fats are being banned in the US I think?

I've heard recently that the FDA is going to make trans fats a "non-food additive." It's already banned from restaurants in a lot of states, and most margarine companies have managed to come up with non-trans spreads.

The thing about MSG is that it actually activates a fifth flavor, "umami" or "savory," a flavor which is hard to define exactly but is as scientifically real as the other four.

Also, if you're going to make a burger, make it a Jucy Lucy.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

That's not how you make a Jucy Lucy! That's not how you make a Jucy Lucy at all! :gonk:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Daeren posted:

In my experience? The vinegary, pickle taste works better with being fried than you expect, but you probably won't want a lot of them. A few fried pickle chips or spears make an interesting appetizer.

From the ones I've had, they also somehow manage to taste even saltier than pickles do normally.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

yoshesque posted:

Like an oily burger. Pretty sure there's no way to improve frying a burg. v:v:v

Well, ok. I could've just made a regular patty and fried the pickles for longer. Bread recipe needs improvement as well, but gently caress me, this is one thing I don't want to experiment on.

What if you were to take some ground meat, spice it up however you'd make a normal burger, coat it with ketchup and mustard, and then stick what you've got inside a raw ball of dough? I'm not sure that frying would be the best option in this case (plus you'd probably want to cook the burger ball through first), but it does sound like an interesting take on the old standard.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

No guys, this is how you make a hot dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssQ7jb41wHU

What is it with that guy and eggs?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Mico posted:

Hi Let's Play long time no see.

Anyway now that the holidays are over I can maybe have some free time to work on videos again. I've had this raw Burger footage since around Thanksgiving and just no time to work on it.

Grill that mother up!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

So did nobody tell the Japanese that you're supposed to use a wheat bun as a handy meat holder for hamburgers?

Also, if you'd like your hamburger to have way less fat than Mico's, then get a George Foreman grill and grill that sucker up. The non-stick coating means there's no oil needed, and the grill is specifically designed to let the beef fat drip out while frying the meat on both sides simultaneously! You'll have to add the cheese after it's cooked, though, because that poo poo gets everywhere if you try and melt it on the grill. Also, try using ground turkey instead and soak it in some beef broth. The texture will be off from what you're used to, but the taste is close enough to count!

Since you didn't stuff your burger, I suppose I'll have to ask you stuff your chicken Kiev instead.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Noni posted:

It made me very happy when someone said "DON'T ADD THE SALT YET!"

Here's a great article about that:
http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/12/the-burger-lab-salting-ground-beef.html

Reading the comments is pretty illuminating, too. Apparently it's alright to add salt if you do so immediately before grilling so the meat has no time to rest and break down. It's also safe to add salt to the meat before grinding so long as you wash it off first.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Did that thing puff up during the steaming, or do you really prefer rolling your burgers into balls instead of patties?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

What was with Cooking Mama's chow mein? Chow mein means the noodles are fried and hard; lo mein is what you call it when you add soft, boiled noodles instead.

Kiev some chicken.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Mico posted:

Curry's pretty versatile you can make changes without too much of an issue.

To expand on this, the word "curry" is derived from the Tramil (an Indian language) word that essentially means "sauce." As such, there are dozens of curry spice blends and hundreds of ways you can put them to use. For a stir-fry, just take your 3-5 most favorite vegetables and some kind of meat (or skip the meat; it's Indian food so it'll work fine vegetarian), cut them into strips, and then fry them in the curry powder plus any kind of oil and maybe some soy sauce. For soup, dice the vegetables, add a hearty amount of any kind of bean, and boil until the meat is done and/or the beans are soft. Either way, once it's done, serve over rice or egg noodles and enjoy.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Longinus00 posted:

You're thinking of the Cantonese specific version which is pan fried. "Chow mein" literally is stir fried noodles. Lo mein is when you just mix noodles with a sauce. I believe your confusion comes from American Chinese cuisine where you can call your dish whatever you want and no one will know.

Cooking Mama is Japanese so I'd assume that all their Chinese recipies are going to be actual Chinese food (or close enough) and not American Chinese.

Hmm. Well, the Chinese restaurants in the city where I live are at least internally consistent, because at every one the difference between chow mein and lo mein has simply been whether the noodles are crunchy or soft respectively. I'm not just talking about the takeout places, either.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I say this for your own good: if you are going to make chicken kebabs, then you need to use spiedie marinade, and if you use spiedie marinade, then you need to eat the chicken using slices of Italian bread to pull the chicken off the skewer. I say this as a former resident of Endicott.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Oh yeah, and the reason you put a little sauce into the spaghetti is so that it doesn't stick to the pot. Same reason some people rinse pasta in cold water for a second once it's drained; it doesn't cool the pasta down much but it does stiffen up the surface.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I figured this thread could use more borscht, so I made some myself.

The recipe was a mix of root vegetables, with beets, potatoes, onions, carrots, and radishes, along with cabbage, tomato paste, and some thick-cut double-smoked bacon. Spices were limited to dill, salt, and two bay leaves.

Preparation was to dice, shred, or slice everything into little pieces, fry up the bacon and the onions beforehand to really mix that flavor in, and then drop everything in a giant pot of water which was only barely big enough for all the vegetables; what you see there is only one of the four containers of leftovers that my friends and family couldn't polish off. On the plus side, I'm now set for meals for the rest of the week. The soup was left to boil for around 40 minutes until the potato pieces were soft. Bowls were served with a dollop of sour cream on top which really smoothed out the flavor.

Final thoughts: borscht stinks horribly, but it tastes pretty good. I wasn't too fond of the beets, though, and if I were to make it again I'd leave them out and add some ham instead (I realize this makes it something other than borscht, but that doesn't bother me one bit). On the other hand, radishes are surprisingly good stewed; the slices really absorbed the water around them and made them incredibly juicy.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

IceAgeComing posted:

Borscht without beetroot is like a curry without the spice - its completely wrong and you're a bad person for even thinking about doing it.

Then I guess I'll just have tomato and ham soup with bacon, root vegetables, and cabbage instead. :colbert:

I dunno, it could be because I had to use canned beets. I wanted to use some jars of Manischewitz borscht I found at a grocery store, but they were completely out when it came time to make the stuff. I considered fresh beets, but they need boiling for a couple hours to soften properly and we were already running late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

What sort of curry powder did you use? There are a lot of potential blends out there.

• Locked thread