Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

unpronounceable posted:

You're holding your knife poorly. What you should do is hold the blade with your thumb and index finger, and use your other fingers to hold onto the handle. It should look something like this and this.

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh my god dude those knife skills.

1. Hold the knife by pinching the base of the blade between your thumb and (curled) forefinger, and wrap your other three fingers around the top of the handle. Your forefinger knuckle should be just about where the blade meets the handle. (It will hurt afterwards, and you will develop a callus in like 1 day.)

So, uh, why do you need to hold the knife like that? I'm sure there's a good reason for it, but the only thing either of you said this achieves is that it makes your hands hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Arglebargle III posted:

It's the grip with the most control. You hand is on the center of gravity of the knife, which allows you to do things that you can't do by just gripping the handle. For example, one of the most efficient cuts is simply rocking the blade back and forth. It's both fast and precise, perfect for dicing small things in large quantities, and it's simply impossible to do by gripping only the handle.

It doesn't make your hand hurt like playing guitar for three hours or something other strenuous activity, it's plenty comfortable. The only thing is that it rubs on the inside of your index finger where most people have soft skin. If you do enough knife work to irritate the skin you will develop a callus after only one or two days of cutting with the new grip and it will never bother you again. Cooks tend to only notice when they haven't done any cooking for a few weeks and their knife callus goes away.

See? Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it. I learned knife skills in a professional kitchen where you might put in 60+ minutes straight with a knife during prep. If you're cooking at home it may not even bother you.

Tried it out and it does seem to be a little better then what I'm used to.

Mico, is Natto even a viable choice? Because if it is, I'm voting for it and also voting for you to film yourself eating it.

• Locked thread