Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

GWC + Let's Play collaborations are the best LPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The great thing about making curry is that you can add basically anything and it would only make it taste better. Literally any spice works in curry, but you can also add oddball ingredients like apple puree, coffee, and gourd vegetables. You would have to try really hard to gently caress up a curry.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How do you stop your poo poo from falling apart while you try that? Whenever I try to chunk stuff like that, it always falls around and gets sloppy. I'ts faster than what he did, but I have to sift through to make sure that there aren't any huge chunks that escaped.
Do you make sure the chicken and knife are dry (relatively speaking)? You can also very lightly wipe a bit of oil on the knife with a paper towel and that will make it effortless.

quote:

I hope there's chili in one of these, so we can get a chili discussion going on. Best bachelor food. Beans, beef, tomatoes, spice poo poo, and then you can make some rice/quinoa/couscous and stretch it even farther.
Oh god, this is just asking for trouble.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think we know what our third recipe must be.

Doubt it since Mico said he's not going to cook anything that he or his two roommates wouldn't eat.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The T posted:

I've heard it's a horrible idea to leave food out on the counter (to defrost or otherwise) as it will develop loads of bacteria that way. I've only heard this about chicken but I assume steak wouldn't be any different?

Steak and other red meats are usually more acidic compared to chicken. Bacteria just can't penetrate into it like it can with chicken, so it's otherwise safer to leave a steak out to defrost than a chicken. An easy way to safely defrost chicken is to give it a water bath at room temperature while it's in a plastic bag. It will take a few hours, but it's much safer than just leaving it out by itself.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I separate egg yolks straight up with the two halved shells: keep the egg contents inside one half and just constantly swap the yolk back and forth. Something about the shell makes it perfect for cutting the whites from the yolk. Just keep a bowl underneath to catch the drippings and you'll be left with a perfect yolk in a half shell.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Manuel Calavera posted:

And the talk about separating yolks from whites. It's not recommended to use the shell, since that's where the salmonella *might* be if there is any in the egg. They're also, yknow, touched by people looking through the eggs at the store. The way Mico did it was actually a pretty good way of doing things if you don't want to touch raw egg, though I prefer separating them by hand myself

Ah yeah, I knew I forgot about something important. Skipped my mind since all the eggs I buy get an extra washing at home just for this reason.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Oh god, please at least put down a moist paper towel under the cutting board to make sure you don't move it all over the place and accidentally cut yourself because of it.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

tamrael posted:

Seeing his awesome Excalibur grip knife technique, I sort of morbidly expect this thread to get called on account of someone losing a finger :ohdear:. Please, please start with some proper knife technique.

That's not a piece of gnocchi you got there in your bowl there :unsmigghh:

Choco1980 posted:

To be honest, I'd say it's because maggots are bugs, and first world cultures don't like eating such "low" animals. Everything I've heard about maggots says they're flavorful and very nutritious.

Crustaceans are literally sea bugs.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Why wouldn't you vote for fried chicken in any circumstance?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I eat whole onion bulbs like apples on occasion. They're delicious raw.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I want to see you Burg as hard as you can so the thread can start yelling at you for burgin' wrong.

Another vote for burgers because of this, and then maybe you can do chili next for maximum thread yelling.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

MacRomanGuy posted:

I vote tempura because I've never been able to do it right.

Edit: Actually, you should fry chicken in tempura. :)

Tempura fry a burger

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Renzuko posted:

Fellow with pink hair is mico's roomie, he eats what we make mico cook, which is why mico won't cook borscht.

I'm pretty sure Mico is the reason why Mico won't cook borscht, not his roommate.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Whoa, chill out dude

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Can you make a Spotted Dick that looks like a spotted dick?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Those burgers looked hella undone and also not seared at all. Please don't undercook hamburger unless you ground the meat yourself or from a butcher that you know and trust.

Also Chicken Kiev

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

When can we expect some frolf burgers

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Fill a Chicken Kiev with a Samosa.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Mico posted:

do not give me terrible food ideas.

do you not remember last time

They're both basically some food object stuffed with another food object, what could possibly go wrong?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Volfogg posted:

Samosas Bolognese because it's not as bad an idea as this is:

...or is it...?

Samoa stuffed with chicken Kiev on top of spaghetti Bolognese

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Gamer McBaggin posted:

I enjoyed the Chow Mein episode.

How does adding too much oil ruin the dish or was it the fact you had oil flying out of the pan that will burn you?

Good luck searing the chicken in that much fat, if you noticed his chicken was depressingly pale after cooking. Also it's loving gross why would you use that much oil

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Mico posted:

the Spagheppi

Insaniquarium LP crossover Spaguppy

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Mini chicken kiev bite kebabs

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Sometimes I like to just eat the pasta plain with maybe a very tiny amount of sauce

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

GreyPowerVan posted:

Hey fellow pinch of sugar in spaghetti-person.

It makes it so much better.

I hope you're not doing this with premade jar sauce because the vast majority of those already come jam packed with sugar.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Mico posted:

If you add enough sugar it tastes just like my homeboy Chef Boyardee's secret recipe.

One of my favorite pasta toppings is just a whole load of sugar with a little prego added to the mix

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Oh yeah, and the reason you put a little sauce into the spaghetti is so that it doesn't stick to the pot. Same reason some people rinse pasta in cold water for a second once it's drained; it doesn't cool the pasta down much but it does stiffen up the surface.

Please do not rinse your pasta in cold water unless it specifically calls for it. That washes off all the starch bubbles that have formed on the outside of the noodle which is what the sauce clings to when you mix it. No cling = no saucy noodles

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Pyrotoad posted:

Samosas so you can prove you make them better than this guy.

That guy's bandanna makes it look like he has one hell of a unibrow.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

"You can't eat dick."

WRONG

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

what was the link pins linked halfway through

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Missing Name posted:

My sister tried to make the spaghetti bolognese.

We wound up with bolognese soup with burnt onion flecks, so who knows what the gently caress happened.

It's pretty hard to screw up curry, though.

This happened in my household just recently when my mom tried making a middle-eastern style curry by just using water and half a jar of turmeric, though I can't fault her too much since it's partially because some dumbass friend of hers labelled it as curry powder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Dr. Buttass posted:

That would still make a pretty lovely curry. Way back in college my mother got me a cookbook written by a couple girls who had formulated these recipes when THEY were in college (because doing your own cooking is "cheaper" than takeout or premade stuff, which is only true as long as you shun fresh fruits and vegetables forever) and they had a recipe for curry that was basically curry powder, water, and nothing else except the chicken you were putting in it. It was terrible and bland, and the texture was gritty and offputting. Good curry needs spices other than just "curry powder" to play with.

That turned out to be a theme with that cookbook, actually, the girls who wrote it were the whitest of the white and they hated flavor and excitement of all kinds. Everything that was supposed to be spicy, wasn't spicy, and everything that wasn't supposed to be spicy, still didn't use any spices or herbs, just to be safe.

Well yeah the water was also problematic but I could rationalize that because our family was only ever familiar with the Japanese bouillon style curry which ever only needed water so I could see where she was going with that.

• Locked thread