Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

quote:

3. No I can't do a Babysitting Mama joke video, Gamefly doesn't have Babysitting Mama because they don't ship periphrerials (babies). Just imagine I gave the baby sunglasses, a pack of Camel Crush, and I'm blasting Skulls by The Misfits in the background.

I uh, need to call my ex-wife I think. I didn't realize that Misfits weren't okay for your child to listen to. Nothing like riding in the car while in the backseat a three year old starts belting out "Some Kinda Hate".

Anyways, totally bookmarking the thread, because I've been wanting an excuse to cook more, especially for my girlfriend, because I'm totally the spoiling type. Anyone else planning on cooking along with the LP? I'd totally post results if others do. And it looks like next week I'll be learning how to cook a Quiche for sure.

Oh, and Mico, would you mind writing up the instructions in the OP as well as having the video links?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

pandaK posted:

Do you make sure the chicken and knife are dry (relatively speaking)? You can also very lightly wipe a bit of oil on the knife with a paper towel and that will make it effortless.

Make sure the chicken is dry? When it's raw?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

While njsyorka attempted to write down the recipe back on page two, I'd still like to request it added to OP if you could, as I plan on cooking along, though I'll likely be a week behind you.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Completely different skillsets, in my experience. Baking is all about getting the correct ratios of ingredients and correct timing of baking them, while cooking for me is about finding flavors, textures, and edible things that go well together.

I always saw it as like saying cooking is like construction, while baking is like chemistry.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Actually, when I hear Queso, I usually think of the mexican style cheese dip. The comparisons to salsa above are not unfounded.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

BlueGrot posted:

Surface moisture turns to steam when you sauté it, leading to the meat being boiled instead of getting a nice sear. This is why you don't want to crowd a pan also, because all of the rendered moisture boils the meat and makes it dull and boring.

So like, pat it down with a paper towel to get the moisture out? I'm certainly not going to let meat dry out on the counter or whatever.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Apparently borscht is winning, which I'm not sure I've actually tried. My mind keeps going to gazpacho every time I hear the word. But at the very least, I'll go in a different direction and try to plant a seed of having the LP eventually cook my favorite seafood dish, Paella. I'd excuse you if you couldn't get the squid for it.

That said, you may recall that I wrote about how I was going to go ahead and cook along. See, my girlfriend and I need to both start eating better and living healthier lives. This cook-a-long seems like a good excuse as any to start cooking for her, and soon she'll use her resources to cook meals too, with the one who doesn't cook having to clean. I got kind of delayed starting, but last night I finally made Mico's Chicken Curry:

I couldn't find any chiles de arbol in my local supermarkets, and just now it occurs to me I could have probably found them rather simply in any number of ethnic markets. (The melting pot culture of Michigan works oddly). Instead I had to use what the GF had on hand, which were sweet chiles, which basically made the curry completely non spicy. It tasted decent, but it was a little on the bland side for me. She comes from a staunch German heritage, so she's used to, and enjoys food that isn't rich in spice though, so she liked it more than me.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Mico posted:

I have bad news for you. Typically the meals I make are super unhealthy.

Curses! I should have suspected when the quiche called for three different kinds of grease!!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Heck, I try to even have all my utensils accounted for and laid out before I start cooking. And on that note...

TRIP REPORT TIME!!

I made the Quiche per Mico's recipe, only substituting black pepper after the pepper chat of this thread. Also, because I suck at life, and was intimidated, I got one of those Pilsbury pre-made crusts. I know, I should have listened. But it bit me in the rear end in that the crust ended up being about 1" too narrow and I made a small mess pouring the filling. But otherwise it worked out just fine, and was significantly easier than the already not too bad Curry.

Also, the diagnosis upon eating? loving DELICIOUS. Seriously, anyone considering cooking this out there, you won't be sorry. It's definitely a breakfast flavor, but we're all adults, who says you can't have an awesome and super filling breakfast for dinner?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Chorizo is NOT blood sausage. Mico's wrong. It's pork sausage smoked in chili peppers and is super greasy. But it's spicy and delicious.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

PrinceRandom posted:

No shrimp Paella? :(

Considering I already suggested that previously, I am disappoint. I'm going to go ahead and vote Gyoza because that sounds more interesting than fried shrimp, which the other two are.

Also, while I'm hesitant to make the gnocchi (chicken parm meanwhile is easy as balls, and is something I already know how to make), the recipe I had already heard (via Nadia G of Bitchin Kitchen on Cooking Channel) has you bake the potatoes for an hour and a half instead of boiling them. She made it look like they're the right texture for the mashing and the rolling afterwards too. If I take the plunge, I'm totally going the bake route.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I wouldn't say breading meat is a time intensive job (though it is a mess pretty much all times), but I'm under the impression that completely making pasta by hand will take you like, all day. Significantly less so if you have something like the aforementioned Pasta Bike to make your noodles for you. I mentioned earlier Bitchin Kitchen for her Gnocchi method (which involves baking the potatoes for longer than Mico boiled his). She uses a small machine on her show too. She whips up the dough (which is the easy part always) kneads it a little, flattens it, then feeds it through the machine.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

To be honest, I'd say it's because maggots are bugs, and first world cultures don't like eating such "low" animals. Everything I've heard about maggots says they're flavorful and very nutritious.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

pandaK posted:

Crustaceans are literally sea bugs.

Well yes, but your average American doesn't know that.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Mico posted:

Yes but can the number one hit single Spanish Flea be considered an aphrodisiac please get back to me asap

well we know what's going on the next video's soundtrack...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Using things like chips or cereal as a breadcrumb crust only sound gross until you try it. Though I'd be real hesitant for Doritos myself. That strong "nacho" cheese flavor would be a bit of a distraction. One thing I'm actually really interested to try, and might when I get around to this recipe, is that Lay's has this new flavor of potato chip that won a contest, a cheesy garlic bread flavor. It tastes pretty much like what it says it is, and I think this would work great as a crust over a chicken Parmesan. The other flavors, Sriracha, and a chicken and waffles flavor, both sound like things I wouldn't want to try regardless.

• Locked thread