Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

I'm just going to be honest here: For eight years I didn't touch tequila. I was terrified of it because quite simply horrible things happened when I drank tequila. The final incident involved me carrying a liter of Jose Cuervo in one hand while balancing a box of wine on my other shoulder, consuming each in equal measure and challenging everyone to do shots with me. This ended with my poor girlfriend half carrying me as I demanded to go outside, whereupon the cold hit me and I projectile vomited into a snow bank. As I gazed upon my vomit with blood shot weary eyes, i looked up at her and said "Look honey! A rainbow!" and then passed out in the snow.

After discussing tequila with people I know, at least 80 percent of them have a story like this.

The funny thing is, none of us were really drinking tequila though. Ok technically we were drinking tequila, but what we were drinking is a class of tequila that is 51 percent agave sugar, 49 percent other. The other is what gives you that vicious loving hangover the next day.

Real tequila is made with 100 percent agave sugar, it's delicious and fun to drink. And quite frankly I think it's as versatile as rum.

Tequila is like scotch and bourbon, by law it can only be produced in certain regions. It's derived from the fermentation of the agave plant, and taste depends on where the agave was harvested from. Highland agave is sweeter, lowland is more herbal. The harvesting is still based upon manual labor and is described well by wikipedia:

quote:

Planting, tending, and harvesting the agave plant remains a manual effort, largely unchanged by modern farm machinery and relying on centuries-old know-how. The men who harvest it, the jimadores [xima'ðoɾes], have intimate knowledge of how the plants should be cultivated, passed down from generation to generation.[21]
By regularly trimming any quiotes ['kjotes] (a several-meter high stalk that grows from the center of the plant), the jimadores prevent the agave from flowering and dying early, allowing it to fully ripen. The jimadores must be able to tell when each plant is ready to be harvested, and using a special knife called a coa (with a circular blade on a long pole), carefully cut away the leaves from the piña (the succulent core of the plant). If harvested too late or too early, the piñas, which can average around 70 kilograms (150 lb) in the lowlands to 110 kilograms (240 lb) in the highlands,[22] will not have the right amount of carbohydrates for fermentation.[23]
After harvesting, the piñas ['piɲas] are transported to ovens where they are slowly baked in order to break down their complex starches into simple sugars. Then the baked piñas are either shredded or mashed under a large stone wheel called a tahona [ta'ona]. The pulp fiber, or bagazo [βa'ɣaso], that is left behind is often reused as compost or animal feed, but can even be burnt as fuel or processed into paper. Some producers like to add a small amount of bagazo back into their fermentation tanks for a stronger agave flavor in the final product.[24]
The extracted agave juice is then poured into either large wood or stainless steel vats for several days to ferment, resulting in a wort, or mosto ['mosto], with low alcohol content.[25] This wort is then distilled once to produce what is called "ordinario," [oɾði'naɾio] and then a second time to produce clear "silver tequila." A few producers distill the product a third time, but several connoisseurs consider this third distillation a mistake because it removes too much flavor from the tequila.[26] From there the tequila is either bottled as "silver tequila", or it is pumped into wooden barrels to age, where it develops a mellower flavor and amber color.[27]
Usually, there are noticeable differences in taste between tequila that is made from lowland and highland agave plants. Plants grown in the highlands often yield sweeter and fruitier-tasting tequila while lowland agaves give the tequila an earthier flavor.[28]

Now here is where it gets interesting. There are different classes of tequila based on how they are aged.

1: Blanco. Basically bottled immediately after distillation, aged no more than two months in a steel vat or neutral oak barrels.
2: Reposado: Aged in oak for at least two months, but less than two years.
3:Anejo: Aged at least one years, but less than three years
4: Extra Anejo. A new category created in 2006. Aged at least three years in oak.

What's the difference between blanco and anejo? Blanco is more raw, but bright and lively. More citrus heavy, sharper. Aged tequila has more in common with bourbon and scotch than you might think. The aged liquor mellows and takes on the flavor profile of the wood that it was aged in, allowing for a wide variety of tastes.

I freely admit that I'm still new in the world of tequila, but right now I'm in love with Espolon Reposado. It's a little more mellow than the blanco, and has more wood notes that I enjoy since I've been downing more bourbon and scotch lately. The nose is tropical fruit and banana, but the mouth is heavier on smoke and oak at first until the fruit reasserts itself. Its not the most complex out there, but it's highly competitive for the price point. MSRP is 25, I found it for 17. And for 17 you get something that is very easy to sip straight, but will also stand up quite well in a cocktail. I like to mix mine with just lime juice and some simple syrup. It's simple, lively and delicious.

Next week I'm going to try a new tequila, looking forward to hearing goon recommendations beyond the obvious Patron and 1800.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevryn
Mar 7, 2002

This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but with a whimper.

I bartend at a bar here in the Phoenix area that has over 150 different bottles of tequila. Unfortunately, the place is mostly a tourist place so I get a lot of people who come in thinking Cuervo Gold is the top shelf poo poo; we don't even carry it. I sometimes do tastings for large private parties (we typically do the El Tesoro family, but not the Paradisio). People are always blown away at the idea of a tequila you can actually sip straight. It usually takes some convincing, but I think I've turned a few east-coasters, and even a Canadian couple, on to the idea.

My favorite that I've tried so far has got to be the Clase Azul Reposado. I see it in a lot of bars around here and the price point jumps pretty wildly. I've seen it as low as $12, all the way up to $27. We charge $17. I can't remember if it's a high or low land tequila and I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but my guess is high. It's got a vanilla taste to it and is really pretty fantastic. For something a bit cheaper, try the repo from Partida. I've always thought it had a slight chocolate/mocha flavor to it but most of my coworkers don't taste it.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Sevryn posted:

My favorite that I've tried so far has got to be the Clase Azul Reposado. I see it in a lot of bars around here and the price point jumps pretty wildly. I've seen it as low as $12, all the way up to $27. We charge $17. I can't remember if it's a high or low land tequila and I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but my guess is high. It's got a vanilla taste to it and is really pretty fantastic. For something a bit cheaper, try the repo from Partida. I've always thought it had a slight chocolate/mocha flavor to it but most of my coworkers don't taste it.

When/how did Cuervo become top shelf? With other liquors the general public seems to have a decent idea of cheap versus expensive. But when I was talking to my coworkers they could name a ton of bourbons, gins, scotchs, etc. But when it comes to tequila, they generally know Cuervo and Patron, maybe 1800 and that's it. When I go to the liquor store though, the tequila section is just as large as the bourbon and rum, and the prices for premium tequila seem to be the same as other premium liquors. So who is buying the good stuff, and in large enough quantities that it's the same price as other premium liquors?

And is that 12 a glass or 27 a glass? 27 a glass might be a little too rich for my blood at the moment.

If you didn't mind, I can tell you're far more knowledgeable that I am, so I'd like to pick you brain for some recommendations based on price point.

What would you recommend for 30,40,50, and 60+ dollars?

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.

I have to say of all the Tequilas I have thoroughly enjoyed, my favorite is 1800 Reposado. Oddly enough, most spirits make me sicker than a dog, but Tequila, quality doesn't matter, has never made me sick.

Indeed, there is something soothing to the stomach from a good rigid shot of 1800 Reposado. I recommend it for something to keep in your freezer for shots when bored.

Also, a 1.75 L at my local liquor store is very affordable at 47 USD.

Great thread rxcowboy, Tequila deserves much love.

NurhacisUrn fucked around with this message at Jul 30, 2013 around 23:46

bolo yeung
Apr 22, 2010

Jose Cuervo Tradicional Reposado is actually a solid tequila that gets a bad wrap because of the other low shelf, not 100% blue agave crap they put out. Also Reserva de la Familia is tasty.

Milagro Blanco is a tasty white.

NotAnArtist
Feb 10, 2011

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you

I'll second the 1800 reposado, I bought a 26oz. bottle in Puerto Vallarta and have been sipping on it on occasion. The 1800 Anejo is mindblowingly delicious, but the markup for sale in Canada is ludicrous. Tequila is really misunderstood, mostly because of a bad rep gained by people shooting the gross stuff - re Cuervo until they get sick. Good tequila is almost as good as good scotch, and honestly I still like mine best neat. I mean, the less expensive stuff is still great in a margarita or similar cocktail, but why would you waste the taste of a well-crafted spirit by muddling it up with anything?

Sevryn
Mar 7, 2002

rxcowboy posted:

And is that 12 a glass or 27 a glass? 27 a glass might be a little too rich for my blood at the moment.

If you didn't mind, I can tell you're far more knowledgeable that I am, so I'd like to pick you brain for some recommendations based on price point.

What would you recommend for 30,40,50, and 60+ dollars?

Those prices for Clase Azul Repo were for a shot. I'll link my recommendations to the Bevmo website (assuming I can find them there). Prices are for the bottle. No telling what you'll pay should you come across them in a bar. Like I said, prices seem to jump around pretty wildly from what I've seen, but then again, that may just be Scottsdale for ya!

Here's my favorite, the Clase Azul Repo, $90:
http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDe...la/_/R-91-18566

I also really like the El Tesoro family, especially the Añejo, $50:
http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDe...nejo/_/R-4-2088

Another good family, Partida, although I actually like the Repo over the Añejo, $43:
http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDe...ila/_/R-4-20924

The above tequilas are more on the sweet side, but if you like more of a peppery kick, try Maestro Dobel, $40:
http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDe...ila/_/R-4-29630

For those times I just want a solid, inexpensive silver, Milagro is typically my go-to. At $22 a bottle, can't go wrong:
http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDe...lver/_/R-4-8489

There's a new tequila family we just got, Casamigas, and I'm really liking it. I believe it's only just come out recently so you may have a hard time tracking it down. Strangely enough, it's part owned by George Clooney. Their silver is pretty great for $43:
http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDe...nco/_/R-4-39224

That's all I got for now. I'm sure I'll remember some others I really like later on and I'm back in the restaurant on Thursday so I'll no doubt be trying more.

Sevryn
Mar 7, 2002

bolo yeung posted:

Also Reserva de la Familia is tasty.

This, 100%. As the name implies, this wasn't always sold to the public; it was the estate's private stash. I joke around with my guest who are skeptical about the Cuervo name, telling them it took a few years, but Cuervo finally quit holding out on the good stuff after too many college kids got blind on Gold. Pop the cork and the whiskey smell is VERY prominent, but not present in the taste. Not cheap, however, at $130 a bottle!
http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDe...ilia/_/R-4-3800

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

bolo yeung posted:

Jose Cuervo Tradicional Reposado is actually a solid tequila that gets a bad wrap because of the other low shelf, not 100% blue agave crap they put out.

I will second this, as well as give my usual reccomendation of Lunazul blanco. Under $20, 100% de agave, has a nice peppery/citrusy note to it. Just avoid the Lunzaul Reposado.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

So besides neat, how do you guys drink your tequila? I'm a big fan of tequila sours. I like to make my own sour mix with lemons, limes, grapefruit and oranges.

I've also enjoyed Palomas and Prohibidos.

Quinctia
Jul 16, 2006

Disasterrific.

I don't mind Cuervo Gold for mixing, I don't know why people would do shots of it, though.

Tequila Sunrises are my go-to bar cocktail of choice. They're simple and you can get one anywhere. Don't make them at home because I'm not particularly fond of orange juice, so I don't have any in the fridge ever.

I might look for something higher end next time I buy tequila now, but not if I'm bringing it to a gathering.

Seems like most the folks I know either love tequila or have a tequila gone bad story.

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

NotAnArtist posted:

I'll second the 1800 reposado, I bought a 26oz. bottle in Puerto Vallarta and have been sipping on it on occasion. The 1800 Anejo is mindblowingly delicious, but the markup for sale in Canada is ludicrous. Tequila is really misunderstood, mostly because of a bad rep gained by people shooting the gross stuff - re Cuervo until they get sick. Good tequila is almost as good as good scotch, and honestly I still like mine best neat. I mean, the less expensive stuff is still great in a margarita or similar cocktail, but why would you waste the taste of a well-crafted spirit by muddling it up with anything?

Hah, you are an individual of refined taste. I salute thee! I rarely harm the taste of a good tequila by doing anything other than neat, but a good top-shelf frozen margarita is awful nice. The Margaritaville makers are totally worth it.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

This weeks tequila: Cazadoes Reposado. I'd give this to a whiskey drinker who's not into tequila, but I don't think I'd buy it again. It's good, but very dry and wood heavy. The agave taste is neutered to me, I understand it's not a blanco so it's designed to be toned down, but I think they went too far with this. When I drink it, I kind of have to remind myself that I'm drinking a tequila. It's like a tequila flavored whiskey almost. It's good, very smooth and dry neat but it's too clean. No bite, no real distinct flavors, no burn. Espolon Reposado just blows this out of the water with aroma and tastes, and I paid 17 for Espolon and 30 for Cazadores.

Next week, trying Tres Agaves Blanco.

d3rt
Jul 11, 2004

Mandate.

I took some Patron home to Australia for Chrissie, duty free, since it's all the airport store had. Still, much cheaper than any other 100% Agave you will find in Australia. Taught my family to enjoy good Tequila.

Fast forward to my 30th Birthday earlier this year and this gets delivered to my cube at work (in a Fedex package): http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDe...eos/_/R-4-24332

I can't bring myself to open it. Thanks mum.

rxcowboy posted:

So besides neat, how do you guys drink your tequila?

2oz Blanco, 1oz fresh lime juice, .5oz agave nectar. Shake with ice, pour over more fresh ice. Done. No triple sec or grand marnier poo poo. Learned this at Tres Agave in SF in their Margarita 'class'.

d3rt fucked around with this message at Aug 6, 2013 around 04:26

Kenning
Jan 10, 2009

I really want to post goatse. I wish I had 10bux

Oh god another "no orange liqueur in your Margarita" person to argue with.

Mizufusion
Jul 18, 2007

I like to watch bees eat food and do stuff.

For Christmas last year, a very good friend gave me and my fiance a bottle of Don Julio 1942. It is now my favorite tequila, and my fiance tries to get everyone we know to try it when they come over. It secretly bothers me because that's more tequila that I could be drinking. It's aged about 2.5 years in white oak, and it goes down super smooth. A lot of people that don't think they like tequila have decided they really like this one. If it wasn't $125 per bottle, I'd be buying a lot more of it.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor that we are aware of.

I highly enjoy my Espolon Blanco for any tequila cocktails, and my Cazadores Anejo because I like the mouthful of oak thing. I still don't really find it complex enough to enjoy drinking neat, but I guess I'm just not quite there yet.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007
The Bartender

If I'm going to drink tequila, I like El Tesoro for something that's just generally available, if it's available I'll pick up Casa Noble instead.

On the rare occasion I actually want a Mexican spirit, though, I'll usually stick with mescal. Most of the small batch stuff imported by Del Maguey is knock out stuff.

Kenning
Jan 10, 2009

Everything del Maguey imports is off the hook.

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

I love tequila and I really have issues with everyone's "tequila stories." I feel like it gets a bad rap! People hear everyone else's tequila stories so they avoid tequila, except that one night when they graduate or go to a bachelorette party and decide that it's time for tequila shots like in Coyote Ugly or something. They do a lot of shots, get really hosed up, and blame it on tequila. It might not be that extreme but generally I think it's like that because most people associate tequila with shots (more than any other liquor) so they tend to get more hosed up and then blame it on tequila. I generally don't think tequila makes people any more volatile than any other liquor, all things being equal.

I generally just drink tequila on ice, I'm not super picky. What do y'all think is the best brand you'd be likely to find at a normal liquor store or grocery store?

d3rt
Jul 11, 2004

Mandate.

I think cheap, blended tequila can definitely add to peoples bad experience though. Not only did they drink a lot, but they drank a lot of cheap blended poo poo that just made them sicker.

I live in California so maybe it's just here, but all liquor stores here have 'good' 100% agave tequila. Cazadores and 1800 are everywhere. Cazadores reposado is my go-to for neat, chased with some beer.

d3rt fucked around with this message at Aug 7, 2013 around 00:03

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor that we are aware of.

It's 95% about quantity, and most people don't drink tequila unless they are already pretty wasted. Saying "I took too many shots" is less exciting than "tequila made me crazy and throw up!" Same goes with any alcohol inciting a specific reaction.

Mizufusion
Jul 18, 2007

I actually know someone who swears up and down that she can drink tequila just fine, but certain other liquors make her angry or overly emotional. Something to do with her being Irish (American) and only being able to drink things made by people of a different ethnicity than her.

For my 21st birthday, one of my friends gave me the best present ever. He bought me a shot of really good tequila, and taught me how to appreciate it instead of knocking it back immediately. Realizing that some booze is meant to be savored instead of just drinking to get drunk was a drat good life lesson, too. I have no idea what brand it was, but I remember that being one of the better parts of that night.

Kenning
Jan 10, 2009

There are intelligent, thoughtful people who believe the most retarded poo poo about drinking it's crazy.

I maintain that everyone has taste, and can appreciate a fine spirit, but there's a lot that gets in the way man.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Kenning posted:

There are intelligent, thoughtful people who believe the most retarded poo poo about drinking it's crazy.

I maintain that everyone has taste, and can appreciate a fine spirit, but there's a lot that gets in the way man.

Drop some tequila knowledge then and share with us!

Going to try and find a decent anejo for 40-50 bucks this week. Looking at 1921 or Don Julio. I read an interesting recipe for mixing 1 and 1/2 parts of anejo tequila with 1/2 part of Grand Mariner liquor. Sounds like it could be tasty.

Mizufusion
Jul 18, 2007

rxcowboy posted:

Going to try and find a decent anejo for 40-50 bucks this week. Looking at 1921 or Don Julio. I read an interesting recipe for mixing 1 and 1/2 parts of anejo tequila with 1/2 part of Grand Mariner liquor. Sounds like it could be tasty.

I think Grand Marnier is fabulous with just about everything, so I may have to try this. I do a variation on the chunnel cocktail with whiskey instead of gin, but tequila might be good too. Recipe as follows:

1.5oz Grand Marnier
1oz gin (or whatever)
0.5oz sweet vermouth
1 dash bitters

Combine in shaker full of ice, stir well. Strain into cocktail glass.

The vermouth sounds like it might be weird with tequila, but who knows. I only have blanco tequila right now, but I'll give it a shot later tonight.

freudianquips
Nov 7, 2008

I'm a big fan of reposado tequila, usually Herradura, Don Julio, or Corzo. They're perfect for sipping on ice during hot dry evenings.

I've never had a bad experience with tequila and I strongly believe it has to do with how you're introduced to it and self-fulfilling prophecies and all that. The first time I drank tequila I was in Mexico doing some research. By day I would be interviewing people and by night I'd hang out in a bar with my co-PI. The procedure went: taste the tequila, shoot it, then chill back with a beer. I definitely think being introduced to tequila this way was the best and I try to do it for my friends as well.

Kenning
Jan 10, 2009

rxcowboy posted:

Drop some tequila knowledge then and share with us!

I don't do much with tequila honestly, though I've heard that Siete Leguas is a super tasty higher-shelf brand. And all the del Maguey mezcals are fantastic.

nazutul
Jul 12, 2006
Lemme tell you something, boy

rxcowboy posted:

Prohibidos.

Never heard of this.

I tried to look it up on google and I found a "prohibido" that is a beer and some tequila mixed together.

Is this what you're referring to?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

nazutul posted:

Never heard of this.

I tried to look it up on google and I found a "prohibido" that is a beer and some tequila mixed together.

Is this what you're referring to?

Basically yes. 2oz tequila, 6oz Mexican beer, juice of half a lime. Nice and simple.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

NurhacisUrn posted:

a good top-shelf frozen margarita is awful nice. The Margaritaville makers are totally worth it.

A shameful goon using a commercial product instead of DIY.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

Los Nuahles mezcal is pretty much the best thing ever. The repo is just perfect. Also, I had an amazing sotol in the Tequila Library in NYC that I haven't been able to find again, most other sotols I've had have been more . . . budget items. Can anyone recommend a good one?

Also, where can I find sylvestros?

rasser
Jul 2, 2003

Interesting trivia on Patrón: http://www.latinbayarea.com/article...-patron-tequila
Na yes, Siete Leguas reposado is a really nice tequila. No ice, no salt, no nothing of whatever you'd use to blur a lesser tequila is needed. Just sip and enjoy!

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

SnowDog posted:

A shameful goon using a commercial product instead of DIY.

Guilty as charged. However...it was a wedding present so can I really toss out one of the handiest gifts I have ever been given? The DIY is great though, I am going to share that with several of my friends who crave margaritas.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

I just got back from an awesome tequila and mezcal party. It was amazing. By "just got back" I mean "went to it last night" but I'm still feeling it.

Alipus mezcals are cool because they take you from the lowlands to the midlands to the highlands so you can really see how the altitude changes the mezcal.

Mister Macys
Apr 21, 2007

Bless the Maker and all His Galils. Bless the coming and going of Him. May His dogs cleanse the world. May He cap the points for His people.

freudianquips posted:

I'm a big fan of reposado tequila, usually Herradura, Don Julio, or Corzo. They're perfect for sipping on ice during hot dry evenings.

I've never had a bad experience with tequila and I strongly believe it has to do with how you're introduced to it and self-fulfilling prophecies and all that. The first time I drank tequila I was in Mexico doing some research. By day I would be interviewing people and by night I'd hang out in a bar with my co-PI. The procedure went: taste the tequila, shoot it, then chill back with a beer. I definitely think being introduced to tequila this way was the best and I try to do it for my friends as well.

What's your opinion on Hornitos Reposado? It's the only other sub-$40 one in our gov-controlled liquor stores besides Cazadores and El Jimador, which I couldn't stand.

And Cuervo Tradicional Silver is great. Smooth as water, and in Ontario, the same price as Cuervo's mixto poo poo.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

I'm a big fan of tequila, both in cocktails and neat and, although it's outrageously expensive in Australia, the best tequila I've ever had is Milagro Select Barrel Reserve. It's ridiculously smooth and easy to drink (the first time I bought a bottle my wife and I finished the whole thing in one night).

Espolón Blanco is my go-to tequila for non-special occasions though and the difference between that and what most people think of when they hear 'tequila' is like night and day.

Also, for any goons in Melbourne with an interest in tequila beyond cheap and nasty shots should make a trip to Mi Corazon in East Brunswick. They have a huge range of tequilas and make some really good cocktails

bunnielab
May 19, 2005

I guess my point is that even science is a matter of faith

Glottis posted:

I highly enjoy my Espolon Blanco for any tequila cocktails, and my Cazadores Anejo because I like the mouthful of oak thing. I still don't really find it complex enough to enjoy drinking neat, but I guess I'm just not quite there yet.

Is is correct but I prefer the Cazadores Repazado for my sipping drink. I was anti blanco for a long time but I am coming around.

Tequila has long ago replaced bourbon as my favorite liquor. With tequila and beer I could be happy forever.

freudianquips
Nov 7, 2008

Mister Macys posted:

What's your opinion on Hornitos Reposado? It's the only other sub-$40 one in our gov-controlled liquor stores besides Cazadores and El Jimador, which I couldn't stand.

And Cuervo Tradicional Silver is great. Smooth as water, and in Ontario, the same price as Cuervo's mixto poo poo.

I actually haven't tried either of those. You'll have to try them and let us know what you think!

Tonight I opened up a bottle of Kah (gift). I love that the bottle is shaped and painted like a devil-ish sugar skull. It tastes very sweet and light with a soft lingering bite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I've only had two types of tequila before. This silver one which was fine in mixed drinks but not really that good. And this Mezcal which is just foul. Seriously, I got given it as a present and it's had only a few shots worth taken from it. My friends and I use it to trick people at parties by offering them a shot of that or a cement mixer. Most people go the Mezcal, and then agree the Cement Mixer would have been a better choice. Seriously, it tastes like a burnt out campfire smells. Not smokey, just like burnt charcoal.

Can anyone tell me the name of a good tequila, preferably from Dan Murphy's, I should check out. I like appreciating good liquor. But the two I've had were okay to terrible. They're probably both just lovely brands/bottles though.

«2 »