Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meso
Jun 14, 2013
This thread is intended to be used to share any of your black and white (including toned B&W) photographs. These images can be of any subject.

View Lead Me Away on Flickr

View Out to the Fog on Flickr

View To The Point on Flickr

View In A World of Grey on Flickr

View Still Waters on Flickr

View Wading Waters on Flickr

meso fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meso
Jun 14, 2013
I'm definitely not attempting to modsass or anything, but I'm a bit confused by this thread now. I originally created this thread to be dedicated to all black and white photography, not another "Life with Photographs" thread. I'm unsure why the thread title was changed, to something very different than was intended. Perhaps it was my fault for using the word 'life' at the beginning of my original thread title, but that was just coincidence. The intent for this thread and the title don't seem to match now, and instead we're left with two duplicate thread titles in the Dorkroom. If perhaps the original intent got lost in the phrasing I used, I apologize - but this thread isn't related to sharing your everyday life and was intended for all types, professional or amateur, of black and white photography.

meso
Jun 14, 2013
I understand the idea behind that approach, but I must respectfully disagree that Black and White isn't a genre. In the world of photography, black and white is often seen as more than just style of image. Having studied black and white specifically, it stretches beyond just a desaturation of colour. The approach to black and white photography is completely different and requires one to shoot in a completely different manner as to how they would in colour. Focusing far more on textures and harsh contrast in lighting. And I think that fact is what separates it into it's own genre. While one could argue that black and white is not a genre because you can take any image and desaturate it, while that much is true - the approach one is taught to take on B&W makes it specific enough to warrant its own genre in my opinion.

You will find that it's often recognized as a genre. Here for example.

While I acknowledge that many people see B&W as merely a style of a photograph. I would certainly argue that it's a genre on it's own, primarily because of the approach used when one shoots with the intent of it being a black and white photograph. Should I be shooting the same subject, the way I shoot it would depend entirely on whether I was shooting it in black or white or colour.

While my originally uploaded images were all landscapes, my plan was/is to span several types of photography with my posts here. The posts that would be posted here are any shots that were taken with black and white in mind. Where unique B&W aspects were focused on. I would be able to post majority into other threads, but for the most part they don't belong there as much as they would in a dedicated B&W thread, because they had a different approach.

Malachite Flight by Bryn De Kocks, on Flickr

Rigormortem by Bryn De Kocks, on Flickr

meso fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 31, 2013

meso
Jun 14, 2013

MrBlandAverage posted:

You might have missed the part where the OP got mad about other people posting black and white pictures in his thread. You also seem to have missed the part where, you know, I posted black and white pictures.

You must have come in late or something... I didn't get mad over the posting of any pictures. A mod changed the title of the thread to "Life in photographs: post your photography". Which I felt didn't match the intention of the thread - and was confusing because there was already a thread with that title in the Dorkroom. I just voiced my opinion on why I thought the thread title should be changed back to reflect the intention of the thread content.

MrBlandAverage posted:

What does this even mean, anyway?

As above.

Anyway, enough of this bullshittery. Let's share and enjoy photos.

• Locked thread