Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
I, too, would like to know what most people do to convert their color photos to B&W. For me I just use the built in mechanism within Aperture, which also lets me pick a color filter as well. It's quick and helpful, but I know there's other plugins that also do B&W conversion. Are they worth it?

Six. by benruset, on Flickr

Clown From the Shadows by benruset, on Flickr

Shadow Behind the Altar by benruset, on Flickr

Carousel House by benruset, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
Was going for a very grainy, high contrast, film-like look with these:

Foggy Beach by benruset, on Flickr

Wonder Bar by benruset, on Flickr

Unfinished Business by benruset, on Flickr

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
For the folks who make prints from their digital B&W stuff, I have some dumb questions:

1) What places have you dealt with that do a good job? I'm thinking ProDPI but I'm not 100% sure yet.

2) Do I need to do anything special to the file when I export it out of Lightroom? Meaning that, even though it's a B&W file, do I need to make sure it's calibrated a special way?

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

Family. by benruset, on Flickr

Night Horse. by benruset, on Flickr

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

Leeds Point 1 by benruset, on Flickr

Leeds Point 2 by benruset, on Flickr

The Cathedral. by benruset, on Flickr

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
I know it's probably sacrilege to post here, but here's a shot from the first roll through my Holga. It's also sacrilege that I didn't develop the B&W myself, but whatever.

Looking at the marks on the right hand side, do folks think that was just lovely processing or maybe an artifact from my camera? There's similar swirls and whatnot on other frames.

Edit: Probably helps to put the Flickr link in. :rolleyes:

Bradley Park by benruset, on Flickr

ZippySLC fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 7, 2014

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
I had a lab do the processing. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

huhu posted:

Panama 056 by esa_foto, on Flickr

I think I need to adjust the colors on my monitor. I have no idea how bright or dark this shot actually is. I did win a flickr photo contest among 5 other (pretty bad) photos.

It's pretty much perfect here.

• Locked thread