Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«16 »
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sector Effector

$15 - GOG - Steam - Green Man - DigitalRiver

WHAT IS RISE OF THE TRIAD?
Rise of the Triad is a wacky classic-style (think Doom and Quake) FPS on the Unreal 3 engine where you sprint around a fortress collecting gold coins and exploding a whole bunch of not-Nazi cultists in a variety of interesting ways. It's a remake (of sorts) of the Apogee game of the same name. You know, the one where you could turn into a Dog and explode whole rooms with an ultrasonic bark? Yeah. (That's back too, by the way)

Those guys are not your friends. The floating discs are neutral, like Switzerland.

WAIT... HOW THE HELL DID THAT GET A REMAKE? ACTUALLY, HOW DID ANYONE STILL EVEN REMEMBER IT?
Well, this and this should probably suffice for an explanation. Long story short: Gearbox being spiteful dicks to the clinically insane. You know, the usual.

Ankhs for the memories!

WHAT'S THE GAMEPLAY LIKE?
You... run around and explode cultists while trying to find the level exit. Color-coded keys and weird bosses are involved. Isn't it obvious? Come on man, you're better than this. Step it up!

It gets a little nuts, yeah.

SO WHAT'S IN THIS STUPID GAME?
  • Five playable characters (and a bunch of other jerks in multiplayer), each with their own statistics lending to different playing styles (trade speed for health, or vice versa)
  • 20 single player levels (plus secrets, and five MP maps) crammed with secret areas (ie. they actually have secret areas)
  • A suite of overkill weaponry to spray your enemies with fire, rockets or explosive baseballs. Oh, yeah, one of the weapons is a satanic baseball bat.
  • Some very silly powerups, like the aformentioned Dog Mode and a God Mode that's way more literal than most.
  • Two audio tracks: The original 1994 MIDIs and goofy sound effects, or a modern heavy metal interpretation with nicer-but-still-goofy sounds.
  • The full UnrealEd suite and Steam Workshop support to create your dream mod of Counter-Strike except one team is sentient bipedal cocks and the other is the cast of Final Fantasy 7.
  • DRM-free (yes, even on Steam) so you can cheerfully play offline should you happen to be on, I dunno, a nuclear submarine or something. This means that multiplayer won't be split between Steam and non-Steam servers or anything stupid like that.
  • So, so much blood. The phrase "Ludicrous Gibs" is used more than once.
  • Plans for Free DLC, provided this whole enterprise doesn't fail miserably and render everyone involved bankrupt.

WHAT ARE SOME COOL MODS/COMMUNITY THINGS?
Hold your horses, the game isn't out quite yet!

The Kins fucked around with this message at Jul 31, 2013 around 12:13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

Well holy poo poo. How did I miss this?

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

*This* is how to remake 1990s shooters. Take notes!

edit: Also, will the characters all wear seasonally appropriate hats?

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

The Kins posted:

SO WHAT'S IN THIS STUPID GAME?
  • A suite of overkill weaponry to spray your enemies with fire, rockets or explosive baseballs. Oh, yeah, one of the weapons is a satanic baseball bat.
  • Some very silly powerups, like the aformentioned Dog Mode and a God Mode that's way more literal than most.
  • Two audio tracks: The original 1994 MIDIs and goofy sound effects, or a modern heavy metal interpretation with nicer-but-still-goofy sounds.
  • So, so much blood. The phrase "Ludicrous Gibs" is used more than once.

Christ this is going to be amazing.

Technocrat posted:

edit: Also, will the characters all wear seasonally appropriate hats?

I get the feeling that if they don't, it will be due to some specific limitation of the engine rather than a lack of desire. Hell, I'd be surprised if they left out "I'M FREE!"

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Pre-bought.

Can't. loving. Wait.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

I can't believe they're remaking this game but I'm so happy. Rise of the Triad was never my favourite FPS but this remake just looks plain awesome.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Eggie posted:

I can't believe they're remaking this game but I'm so happy. Rise of the Triad was never my favourite FPS but this remake just looks plain awesome.

It is also worth mentioning (probably in the OP) that this is being released at a very reasonable $15, or in a 4-pack for $45. And if you pre-order it on steam or GMG, you get the two Blake Stone games, the original ROTT and Extreme ROTT (a level pack) for free. Maybe GOG too? Haven't checked. I just preordered it on steam a few days ago.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

GOG gives you that too ( the codes come in the order confirmation email, so don't immediately delete it )

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

AG: Flyyyyyyyy!

Platypus Farm posted:

It is also worth mentioning (probably in the OP) that this is being released at a very reasonable $15, or in a 4-pack for $45. And if you pre-order it on steam or GMG, you get the two Blake Stone games, the original ROTT and Extreme ROTT (a level pack) for free. Maybe GOG too? Haven't checked. I just preordered it on steam a few days ago.

I think I may get this, if nothing else than to encourage the recent trend of budget priced FPSs.

Starhawk64
Apr 10, 2009

I'm a gonna win!

ROTT classic was the goofiest FPS I've ever played, and I mean that in a good way. Good thing I'm only working a half shift tommorrow. Can't wait to play this.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

THE WHIPPED CREAM GENOCIDE BROUHAHA

Before this game was announced I decided that I've resigned from PC gaming, or at least for a while. Almost everything is cross-platform and can be played on my Xbox, while PC exclusives (e.g. Civilization) tend to not interest me. My laptop was sufficient because I could still play old games on it.

Then Interceptor Entertainment dropped this bomb and I've been regretting not saving up for a new rig over the past three years

My girlfriend happens to have a Non-lovely computer so I'll be able to play it there occasionally. If anyone's down for a few rounds of multiplayer then count me in! God drat I can't wait to play this.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I got it preloaded already and I'm very excited. Played the old one a bit beforehand on WinROTTGL and suffice to say I did enjoy it more than when I first played it and was a tiny bit frustrated I couldn't find any more weapons until I figured out where some of the push walls were. Can't wait to go secret hunting in this one.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

My preload is ready and so am I. Even have this handy countdown on one of my screens:

http://interceptor-entertainment.com/rottcountdown/

EDIT: And here's some gameplay from someone who doesn't seem too enthused or is just really slow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X69AkP5EsuM

Doctor Shitfaced fucked around with this message at Jul 31, 2013 around 01:45

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Starhawk64 posted:

ROTT classic was the goofiest FPS I've ever played, and I mean that in a good way. Good thing I'm only working a half shift tommorrow. Can't wait to play this.

My favorite thing about ROTT is that it's basically a elementary school kid's wet dream, where you just keep saying poo poo you think would be cool in a "and then you add this!" format. Except with ROTT, its all there.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

I always thought it was dumb that ROTT only let you carry so many weapons at a time, until I realized it didn't matter because the game encourages you to burn through your most recent rocket launcher as another one is coming up anyway. No weapon hoarding allowed, fire off all the missiles! The thing I'm most excited about is that they're keeping that ridiculous old school run speed in the game, which is probably going to disorient some folks that never played FPS titles around that time, and probably disorient me for a while because moving that fast in a game with more modern graphics may or may not give me motion sickness. Screw it, I'll adapt.

I'm also excited about the multiplayer component. A new arena shooter with a focus on rocket launchers is a plus for me. I'm excited about the prospect of rocket jumping all over the place as well.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Mercury Crusader posted:

I always thought it was dumb that ROTT only let you carry so many weapons at a time, until I realized it didn't matter because the game encourages you to burn through your most recent rocket launcher as another one is coming up anyway. No weapon hoarding allowed, fire off all the missiles! The thing I'm most excited about is that they're keeping that ridiculous old school run speed in the game, which is probably going to disorient some folks that never played FPS titles around that time, and probably disorient me for a while because moving that fast in a game with more modern graphics may or may not give me motion sickness. Screw it, I'll adapt.

I'm also excited about the multiplayer component. A new arena shooter with a focus on rocket launchers is a plus for me. I'm excited about the prospect of rocket jumping all over the place as well.

Oh jesus this reminds me - someone with an occulus rift desperately needs to try this and let us know how it is.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I've been watching this since it was announced. Every little bit I've seen makes me more and more excited for it, because it shows this is a remake that cares. They're being faithful to the source, not cocking it up for no good reason.

They're even updating all the music, and it sounds goddamn amazing. They posted their new version of Fast Way, and holy hell...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jkDR9ca9f0

The E3 weapons demo had me grinning like crazy. They've redone all the old classic weapons, and honestly the only criticism I can give is "God mode" doesn't make your character make hilarious moaning noises.

Can't wait to play some multiplayer with goons, I've been itching for an old 90s throwback shooter for a while now.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

Looking for a couple people to go in on a four-pack, the cost would be 11.89 through Paypal.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/domolyte

Got Feed Me a Cat and a friend of mine, so I'm all set.

Really looking forward to this, I never got to play any Comm-Bat back in the day.

Acolyte! fucked around with this message at Jul 31, 2013 around 03:15

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm in a slightly strange position with RoTT. On the one hand, I've discovered a real love for 90s shooters: Doom and the build engine games particularly.

But I couldn't stand RoTT when I gave it a go a few months ago, a little too bland and lacking in the sheer notalgia that Wolfenstein seem to run off of.

That said, everything with this remake seems to be more of a reimagining than a slavish remake -

So I'm excited, with a titch of wariness.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Acolyte! posted:

Looking for a couple people to go in on a four-pack, the cost would be 11.89 through Paypal.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/domolyte

Got Feed Me a Cat and a friend of mine, so I'm all set.

Really looking forward to this, I never got to play any Comm-Bat back in the day.

Bundle bros

Downloading and thinking back on the days of shareware CDs. Good times.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

Screw BU. Harvard too.

The multiplayer footage they released made me excited enough to pre-order on the spot. I didn't think there was ever going to be another FPS with that fast a base movement speed again. I cut my online teeth on duke nukem 3d and that footage reminds me so much of those days. It's pretty much what I thought duke nukem forever should have been. I just hope the maps and weapons are a bit more balanced than in that footage, some of those explosive weapons were insanely powerful, like "the person who has this is going to make the game unfun for everyone else as long as he has ammo" powerful.

edit: here is that trailer since I don't see it in the OP. It's 18 minutes of pure insanity across 3 maps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CGLiWf2NM0

proof of concept fucked around with this message at Jul 31, 2013 around 03:48

Daysvala
Mar 11, 2012

Wow, this takes me back to the late 90s. I remember playing the shareware version of the original ROTT as a kid and being simultaneously scared and confused. I don't think any FPS game before or since has ever managed to capture that pure combination of insanity and atmosphere.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

proof of concept posted:

I just hope the maps and weapons are a bit more balanced than in that footage, some of those explosive weapons were insanely powerful, like "the person who has this is going to make the game unfun for everyone else as long as he has ammo" powerful.

The rocket weapons being hilariously overpowered is on purpose because you only have 3 weapon slots: a slot for your pistol (which you can dual wield), a slot for your MP40, and a single slot for a rocket launcher weapon. You don't pick up ammo for any of these guns either. The pistol and MP40 have infinite ammo (With reloading, I think. That might be a toggle.). If you run over a slot 3 weapon with another slot 3 weapon in your hands, you'll drop the one you're holding in favor of the one on the ground. The whole point is for you not be shy about unloading your gun into dudes, because all the weapons (except the pistol and MP40) are power weapons.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

「Thunder Crash!!」

Apogee means action.

I'm hyped for this. I wonder if this might be the first of several older brands being brought back. Is it too much to hope for a modern Raptor: Call of the Shadows?

How about Word Rescue?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sector Effector

Bro Team Pill is trying to stream multi with the devs and reviewers, but he's comically terrible. Natch.

(The devs also spoiled that there's a Dopefish in every MP map...)

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The Kins posted:

Is there an achievement for finding them all?

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

The Kins posted:

Bro Team Pill is trying to stream multi with the devs and reviewers, but he's comically terrible. Natch.

Of course they decide to stream with people who can't play video games worth a drat.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

Screw BU. Harvard too.

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

The rocket weapons being hilariously overpowered is on purpose because you only have 3 weapon slots: a slot for your pistol (which you can dual wield), a slot for your MP40, and a single slot for a rocket launcher weapon. You don't pick up ammo for any of these guns either. The pistol and MP40 have infinite ammo (With reloading, I think. That might be a toggle.). If you run over a slot 3 weapon with another slot 3 weapon in your hands, you'll drop the one you're holding in favor of the one on the ground. The whole point is for you not be shy about unloading your gun into dudes, because all the weapons (except the pistol and MP40) are power weapons.

This is all well and good for single player but tricky for multiplayer. Developers have been scared to make a game with this kind of pace for a long time and I want ROTT to do really well so that we see more of them in the future. I think whether or not it works will depend mostly on the maps. I really optimistic about it though; I'm absolutely dying to get into the first one in the video and start blasting away at people. Just 13 hours and 37 minutes left!

This is going to be awesome.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

Screw BU. Harvard too.

The Kins posted:

Chat is saying that earlier in the stream the lead dev revealed the game will have quake-style strafe jumping, did anyone in this thread hear that or are they just trolling?

edit: apparently there will be bunny-hopping in multiplayer but not single player

proof of concept fucked around with this message at Jul 31, 2013 around 08:01

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

Have you accepted the loving embrace of Braith?

Team Anasta

I bought this game because frankly, somewhere at my parents house is the most loved cd in the world. It is a CD called 500 top shareware games and this was the top shareware game. Even if it isn't that great they are clearly trying to do something different and trying new things should be encouraged in pc gaming.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

Everyone has that one game, way back in the past, that was their game. My brother and I played and loved Doom, but that wasn't our game.

For my brother, that was Heretic. For me, it was ROTT.

I don't think I've ever needed a game to be a hit like this.

Enos Shenk posted:

They're even updating all the music, and it sounds goddamn amazing. They posted their new version of Fast Way, and holy hell...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jkDR9ca9f0

For me, it was the new Suck This because holy poo poo. This is me at the age of 7, eyes wide when gibs of the ludicrous kind (and eyes! flying disembodied eyes!) were splattered all over the place by a heatseeker missile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwaSRaMOz1E

proof of concept posted:

The multiplayer footage they released made me excited enough to pre-order on the spot. I didn't think there was ever going to be another FPS with that fast a base movement speed again. I cut my online teeth on duke nukem 3d and that footage reminds me so much of those days. It's pretty much what I thought duke nukem forever should have been. I just hope the maps and weapons are a bit more balanced than in that footage, some of those explosive weapons were insanely powerful, like "the person who has this is going to make the game unfun for everyone else as long as he has ammo" powerful.

edit: here is that trailer since I don't see it in the OP. It's 18 minutes of pure insanity across 3 maps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CGLiWf2NM0

"Gibbing in Faku", love it. And the captions had me in stitches.

Captain Tolerable
Sep 29, 2010

JUST WIN BABY

EDIT: Totally the wrong thread

Captain Tolerable fucked around with this message at Jul 31, 2013 around 07:12

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

The art... it's growing on me. I find myself enjoying it.

I have it all preloaded and everything. Can't wait to blow poo poo up.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sector Effector

It's out if you bought it on GOG. If you got it from there, please report back while the rest of us dipsticks wait for our unlock!

Hakkesshu
Nov 3, 2009

All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.

The Kins posted:

It's out if you bought it on GOG. If you got it from there, please report back while the rest of us dipsticks wait for our unlock!

Haha, games. The embargo isn't up until 9 AM PST in 4,5 hours. I've finished it and will post my in-depth impressions at that time if anyone's still curious

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Sheikh of the Couch

Hakkesshu posted:

Haha, games. The embargo isn't up until 9 AM PST in 4,5 hours. I've finished it and will post my in-depth impressions at that time if anyone's still curious

I assume from what you're saying is that the game is crazy short?

A Yolo Wizard
Nov 17, 2006

yes, certainly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtGBwnn1paA

Hopin you can turn down some of the bloom because a few of the early mp videos made it looks impossible to actually see people you're fighting against.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

A Yolo Wizard posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtGBwnn1paA

Hopin you can turn down some of the bloom because a few of the early mp videos made it looks impossible to actually see people you're fighting against.

I was under the assumption that they've turned down the bloom by a fair bit.

Hakkesshu
Nov 3, 2009

All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.

Al-Saqr posted:

I assume from what you're saying is that the game is crazy short?

I'm not sure why you assume that. It might be or it might not, find out in a few hours!

Edit: Sorry, now I understand. I didn't get the GOG version, I have a reviewer's copy. I've had it for a few days. I just think it's funny that the game is out for some, yet I can't post my impressions

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at Jul 31, 2013 around 11:58

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RowboatMan: Freezing time is an old P.I. trick...

Any word on a Mac version? I heard that it was also being released.

«16 »