Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«19 »
fromagex
Oct 11, 2006

I've still got the prediction threads bookmarked, so I'm assuming this is worth something to more than just me. The king of paranormal discussion is returning to the airwaves!

Mercury News posted:

Art Bell, radio's master of the paranormal and outward edges of science, will return to the microphone on Sept. 16 with a new nighttime show on Sirius XM Radio.

Bell was one of radio's top syndicated voices in the 1990s before walking away from his nightly show in 2002 due to family issues. He worked occasionally after that but hasn't been on the air since Halloween 2010.

"I missed it terribly," said Bell, 68, whose weeknight show will air live from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. ET. Sirius is building a studio at Bell's rural Nevada home where he will work.

A Sirius representative contacted Bell through social media a few months ago, leading to the formation of his show, "Art Bell's Dark Matter." He'll talk about things like UFOs, ghosts, near-death experiences and weird aspects of science. He'll do interviews and take calls from viewers.

Scott Greenstein, Sirius XM president and chief content officer, said the show will be "uncensored, unrestricted, uncluttered and utterly unique."

"There's probably more interest in the genre now than when I did it," Bell said. "When I did it, I was damned near alone."

Bell was on some 500 radio stations nationwide and "quit when he was at the top of his game," said Michael Harrison, publisher of Talkers, a magazine that covers the radio industry.

Harrison said Bell's subject matter has roots in old-time radio, and he predicted it will become popular once again in the coming years.

"He'll be looked at as one of the veteran, old masters," Harrison said. "He's the real deal when it comes to marching to the beat of a different drummer."

There's also a potential rivalry with George Noory, who replaced Bell on the syndicated show. Bell isn't a fan, saying he considers Noory "not edgy enough." Noory's program is on later at night, so the two will not compete directly live.

No contract terms were divulged.

Bell said he's intrigued to learn the differences between satellite and terrestrial radio.

"It seems to me they are the next step in technology," he said. "I've always been a technological junkie. The mix of what they're giving me, the freedom that they're giving me, is priceless

http://www.mercurynews.com/entertai...bout-paranormal

As a huge fan of the legitimate kooks that call in, I hope this is a return to form. With Art in the booth, it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

I drink to make other people more interesting.

God I hate UFO bigfoot unicorn ghost conspiracy nuts. But yet I love Art Bell. I shouldn't I guess, but to be fair he was pretty obviously tongue in cheek about the show.

I may finally get a satellite radio.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

This is the best/most exciting news in ages. While there's a C2C thread over in RGD, the show itself has been garbage for years - even more so now that Art hasn't been doing the Ghost to Ghost/Prediction shows.

I really hope that Art keeps the spirit and soul of his old show.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

im a gay doug

This is going to be great. Push Noory out of his spot, he is boring and lets his guests just talk their trash without challenging or giving any good questions.

Oh boy another week of Black Pyramids on C2C!

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

How many comebacks is this for Art?

Honestly though, even though his guests can be kooks and much of his show is fodder for the easily led, it was very entertaining and I always liked Art.

What they really need to do is make all the old archives available. I have old MP3s I made years ago of a handful of interesting shows, but that's it.

The Sphinxster
Jul 13, 2007

Next!

Here are 150 (if you believe what you read) at archive.org:

http://archive.org/details/150ArtBe...ToCoastOldShows

This thread has inspired me to finally give him a listen.

edit: hardly any of these are actually Art Bell. What the hell?

The Sphinxster fucked around with this message at Jul 30, 2013 around 21:12

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003
Is made of candy

I hope he brings General Johnson Jameson with him. That guy rocked.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

I used to love listening to Art Bell back in the day. Noory was ok, but I never got into his shows as much. I am so down for a new Art Bell radio show! Bring on the kooks!

Edit: Seriously, if you haven't listened to this guy before, do it.

Don't you wanna listen to this man and his guests talk about aliens, conspiracy theories, and other crazy things?

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at Jul 30, 2013 around 17:36

cka
May 3, 2004

I might have to give Sirius XM a shot when this starts up... Though I don't know how many batshit looney tunes he'll have call in considering it'll be behind that XM paywall. Those were always the best C2C shows like the OP says, the ones with the unscreened open lines when all the mixed nuts called in with their asinine theories and backhanded shilling. Either way, can't loving wait!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

wilderthanmild posted:

Noory was ok, but I never got into his shows as much.

There used to be some kind of supernatural/conspiracy type forum and it had a "George Noory Sucks" thread that was literally 5,000 pages long. The internet despises him. I didn't hate him but he was the worst of the 3 or 4 hosts who replaced Art.

edit: only 1000 pages: http://coastgab.com/index.php/topic...2230a7e8ebdd779

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

This is the only thing that has tempted me to get Sirius at all. gently caress George Noory, that sanctimonious woo-woo dickweed.

I like Ian Punnett, but he's not a good interviewer. He should have one of those shows where he chats about Jesus to olds, very soothing when you're drunk and can't sleep at 5 a.m. ETA: I see he's left as of this week, and will be replaced by John B. Wells.

These people are so not Noory fans, either.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at Jul 30, 2013 around 18:20

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Ian Punnett stopped doing C2C unfortunately.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Oozin along on your livinroom floor

Punnett was my favorite 'newer' host. Unfortunately, in case you haven't heard, he retired from radio completely after developing tinnitus.

I'm an on-and-off subscriber to C2C Insider, but I only listen to the non new age Noory shows. Which isn't many these days. I like the guy as a person but all the new age poo poo is so bad.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

quote:

Bell said he's intrigued to learn the differences between satellite and terrestrial radio.

Doesn't he mean the difference between terrestrial and EXTRA terrestrial radio?

This is the best news. And thanks for that MP3 archive, gonna load these up while playing Euro Truck Sim, and my experience will be complete.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

George Knapp is a real journalist, and the only host worth listening to on C2CAM anymore. The rest aren't worth two farts.

Noory is awful and spends way too much time fellating Alex Jones and Jerome Corsi on the air, not to mention the quack doctors.

I am excited about the news of Art returning to radio, with some reservation. He has "retired" multiple times.

Jin Wicked fucked around with this message at Jul 30, 2013 around 18:34

usbombshell
Oct 29, 2004

Boom!

Yay! I can listen to this instead of that terrible Ground Zero show that currently leads in to Coast to Coast.

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

this thread...it was made for me

I may actually have to get a satellite radio subscription now, Art Bell has always been one of my favorites. I could listen to him talk about anything.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Don't bother with any Sirius/XM hardware, Just get the App on your smartphone and an internet subscription. Think you can get a free trial too.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

fully trained greenskeeper

It won't really be an Art Bell comeback until we have a re-re-re-retirement pool running.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

I'm so lean I can't even blink.

Yay Art Bell. I was never a loyal listener but it was always a treat to tune in on the way home from wherever. Noory just wasn't the same.

A Canadian radio station tried to replicate C2CAM with its "A View from Space" but the host of that show sounded like a sinister borderline schizoid and I half expected any given episode to devolve into rants about the Protocols of the Elders of Zion or something.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

This news seriously just made my week. I will now actually buy a satellite radio. Coast to Coast AM is why I slept through all of my morning classes in middle through high school.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

fully trained greenskeeper

Source4Leko posted:

This news seriously just made my week. I will now actually buy a satellite radio. Coast to Coast AM is why I slept through all of my morning classes in middle through high school.

Yes, I'm a multiple-decade fan of Art's and am considering picking up satellite radio because of this.

The main reason I specificially want Art Bell as the host of the paranormal show I listen to is that he encourages crackpots, but he is self-aware enough to realize how silly it all is, and does some very nice prodding and leading of his crazy callers, leading them to out themselves as completely insane. Noory and the others tended to drink from the Kool-aid too much. Art always had that bit of smirk in his voice, but not nearly enough that the crazies would actually sniff it out and hold their cards close.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Art Bell also just has a great-sounding voice. I would probably listen to him giving mortgage advice or whatever, just for the voice.

I didn't know about Ian Punnett's tinnitus. That sucks for him.

fromagex
Oct 11, 2006

AlbieQuirky posted:

Art Bell also just has a great-sounding voice. I would probably listen to him giving mortgage advice or whatever, just for the voice.

Not much talking, but he can sell some great tin foil: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeJXKmACjFk

And who could forget Art Bell's Pizza Punch.

fromagex fucked around with this message at Jul 30, 2013 around 20:55

BillyBlanks
Oct 5, 2000

(not racist)

Source4Leko posted:

Seriously this is such amazing news that came out of nowhere.

I am pretty much non-believing/skeptical of everything paranormal but for some reason love watching shows and listening to podcasts etc about it. I laugh at pretty much all the nut jobs that call in but I will listen to every minute of a show Art Bell hosts about it.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

I used to listen to Art Bell constantly. If Art Bell's new show is even half as good as his old poo poo it'll be fantastic. He really knows how to corral his guests and get the best bits out of them.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Bring in the UK I had never experienced Art Bell at all until I played they game "Prey" which featured his radio show throughout.

It was this that then made me go and look him up and find out more about the show.

This is wonderful news.

Daeren
Aug 17, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

I am shameful and never actually listened to Art Bell because I'm in the midwest and value my sleep, but I've seen a lot of parodies of him, knockoffs of Coast to Coast AM, and general stories about it all. Why are all his successive hosts so hated though? What's the big differences between him and this Noory guy or whoever else subbed in? Or the history of the show in general? From what I can tell the show's still focused on what Art Bell started it as but he wants to be distanced "from what it's become" these days.

The subject matter of the show always seemed to be up my alley, but again, showtime of 1-5 AM where I live means I never really got around to listening.

fromagex
Oct 11, 2006

Daeren posted:

Why are all his successive hosts so hated though? What's the big differences between him and this Noory guy or whoever else subbed in?

I can only speak primarily about Noory; he made the show about angels and healing crystals, and not aliens and Bigfoot, as it was originally. Noory is always accepting and boring, without much to interject about. Art will react or disagree with someone. He also has a much more enjoyable radio voice.

Punnett was always enjoyable when I caught him, but also, not much about Bigfoot or aliens. He is actually an ordained pastor or something similar. His World War Z show with Max Brooks was pretty good.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

43 species of parrot?! Nipples for men?! SLUGS?! Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?! If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, 8 o'clock, day one!

Who actually buys satellite radio in an age of smart phones, unlimited data plans, and more podcasts than you could feasibly listen to in your entire life? Especially when the handful of good stuff Sirius makes will end up on YouTube or be covered on other people's podcasts the day it happens.

elmwood
Aug 22, 2004

Your story has become tiresome.

It won't be the same unless he has 15 or 20 different call-in numbers. East of the Rockies, west of the Rockies, in the Rockies, Canadian callers, outside-of-North-America callers, first time callers, second time callers, wildcard line, joker line, star-whatever for various cellular carriers, Skype, amateur radio frequencies ...

elmwood fucked around with this message at Jul 31, 2013 around 00:06

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life

I love Art Bell, he is so earnest and ready to believe any caller and that made me believe it a little too, back in the day their website was full of "ghost" pictures.
Noory really does suck and I hate it when he derails for an angel talk.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

Kind of want to figure out a way to get sat radio in the house so I can listen to this. Ain't gonna pay no $3.50 a month for online streaming, that poo poo used to be free with XM drat it.

We have a car here with a Sirius plan going on for it, and a boombox with a receiver. I should somehow be able to use the boombox in the house with the car subscription, yeah? I'm dumb about Sirius accounts, someone help my dumb rear end learn.

MBPearls
Jan 25, 2005
the Blueline Goddess

If any Goons have Dish Network, I think most (if not all) of their programming packages include SiriusXM radio stations. Usually only have them on when cleaning house, but it's becoming sort of family tradition to have them playing during family get-togethers too!

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I hope he brings General Johnson Jameson with him. That guy rocked.

Um, he was killed trying to enter Area 51. Remember? Happened on air.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Oh good, more people who believe in magic commenting on science.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

The Bible posted:

Yeah Obama really shouldn't have cut NASA's budget.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

The Bible posted:

The Bible's face curled into a hairlipped snarl, exposing his bitterly yellow incisors.
"BULLSHIT! IT'S ALL BULLSHIT!" he raged, hurling his copy of Harry potter and the Chamber of Secrets across the library's young adult section.

The Rage
Jun 28, 2007

Chill out, dickwad.

Every time I see Noory on one of the H2 Zombie/Bigfoot/UFO/Ghosts are really Aliens shows, I always want Art to kick in the door and slap him to death. Welcome back Art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

Kind of want to figure out a way to get sat radio in the house so I can listen to this. Ain't gonna pay no $3.50 a month for online streaming, that poo poo used to be free with XM drat it.

We have a car here with a Sirius plan going on for it, and a boombox with a receiver. I should somehow be able to use the boombox in the house with the car subscription, yeah? I'm dumb about Sirius accounts, someone help my dumb rear end learn.

Where are you seeing $3.50/mo? SiriusXM is telling me Internet streaming is $14.49/mo.

«19 »