Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Are there any serious Christian fundamentalist heroes? Now I am curious. Like literally bible toting preachin' Christian.
Battle Pope :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

bobkatt013 posted:

No it was an illusion. It was a plot to make Nightcrawler pope and then reveal to the world that the pope is a mutant and then cause the rapture with exploding communion wafers. Thank you very much Chuck Austin.

They ran with Nightcrawler joining the priesthood for at least a little while, without/despite Austen's involvement. I remember it was why he broke up with that Cerise chick from Excalibur.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
During the storyline where the X-Men are all in space and expecting to be taken over by the Brood, Nightcrawler is seen praying and he and Wolverine have a conversation on the subject. Wolverine straight up says "I don't believe in God - never have, never will." I'm quoting from memory, but that's the gist.

Now, this might have changed, but I'm gonna Occam's Razor this s-word up and say that it's less a carefully conveyed shift in Wolverine's attitudes over many years and stories and more Jeph Loeb ain't give a drat.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wanderer posted:

They ran with Nightcrawler joining the priesthood for at least a little while, without/despite Austen's involvement. I remember it was why he broke up with that Cerise chick from Excalibur.

Yes but Austen revealed that he never did join the priesthood, it was an illusion by the Church of Humanity. It was really stupid.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Mike From Nowhere posted:

During the storyline where the X-Men are all in space and expecting to be taken over by the Brood, Nightcrawler is seen praying and he and Wolverine have a conversation on the subject. Wolverine straight up says "I don't believe in God - never have, never will." I'm quoting from memory, but that's the gist.

X-Men vs. Dracula, Wolverine uses his claws to make the sign of the cross to scare off Dracula off once it's confirmed that religious symbols do work (including Shadowcat's Star of David.) Nothing happens and Dracula says something like "You have to believe for it to work."

Oh god why do I remember that.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Even given all of that, there's a pretty deep gap between a Roman Catholic priest and what you'd call a "fundamentalist Christian".

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
True, and Nightcrawler was Jesuit as all hell. I remember the issue where he tracked down Scalphunter working in a lovely diner in New Mexico and spent weeks disguised as a priest just talking to him. Eventually he attacks Scalphunter and reveals those weeks were just Nightcrawler explaining why he wouldn't kill him, despite wanting to so badly.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

There's also Wolfsbane who spent an awful long time as the wet blanked of the group in the original New Mutants series.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Didn't Wolverine go to hell? Surely that has to do something for a man's faith.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Kalli posted:

There's also Wolfsbane who spent an awful long time as the wet blanked of the group in the original New Mutants series.

That was due to her father being an insane zealot who told her she was going to hell all the time and kept her completely sheltered.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

As for the panel, while on the one hand it's pretty dumb....on the other hand. Giant Space Gods DID land on Marvel Earth and start blasting rays at the ground until normals, Deviants and Eternals emerged. Hell, one of them is just standing around in San Fransisco.

And then like years later, a bunch of blue and pink aliens tried to copy the space gods and the Inhumans were created. Inteligent Design is something that isn't so far fetched in the MU.

Evolution being induced by magical space gods? Sure, plenty of on panel evidence there. Man never evolved from apes, much less dogs (despite that being the whole idea behind the story), being created whole cloth by God? Nah. Maybe if you take Marville as canon, but no one wants to do that.

And speaking of, our own Syrg did an awesome series of articles about just how bad Marville was:

(Somewhat :nws: Greg Horn covers behind the links.)

http://4thletter.net/2009/03/the-marville-horror-part-1-better-sales-through-self-immolation/
http://4thletter.net/2009/03/the-marville-horror-part-2-take-us-to-poor-people/
http://4thletter.net/2009/03/the-marville-horror-part-3-like-an-african-fertility-god/
http://4thletter.net/2009/03/the-marville-horror-part-4-stay-with-the-tardis-drat-it/
http://4thletter.net/2009/03/the-marville-horror-part-5-comics-pretty-much-the-word-of-god/

“Yes you are really about to read a comic where Wolverine evolved from an otter.”

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

prefect posted:

Wolverine's not an atheist, because he wasn't able to resist Weapon XVI. Noh-Varr and Fantomex had to save the day.

On the other hand, wasn't he entirely useless against Dracula one time due to not believing in any higher power?

e: Oh hey, there was a next page :doh:

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 31, 2013

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Let me consult my sources:

robziel posted:

X-Men vs. Dracula, Wolverine uses his claws to make the sign of the cross to scare off Dracula off once it's confirmed that religious symbols do work (including Shadowcat's Star of David.) Nothing happens and Dracula says something like "You have to believe for it to work."

Oh god why do I remember that.

Seems so.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Having been a Wolverine fan from the age of 4 I feel pretty confident in saying he is an atheist who kicked the poo poo out of the Angel of Death and doesn't make no woo about it.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Spider-Man: The Clone Saga. It's been mentioned a couple of times in passing but it deserves special attention.

There have been a lot of badly written storylines on Spider-Man. There have been a lot of bad editorial mandates on Spider-Man. There have been a lot of times that Marvel (and DC) have gone out of their way to alienate a creator on their books. There have been stupid retcons, patchy art, overpriced cover gimmicks, stretched out storylines, and you can make an argument that any one of them is worse than any one component of the Spider-Man Clone Saga.

But I'll still hold up the Clone Saga, because it's just about the only place I know of where you can get all of that in one place. Trying to isolate one thing wrong with the Clone Saga is like trying to pluck a particularly vile germ out of a plague victim - technically you're right to say this one thing is horrible, but you still wind up wrong just by omitting everything else.

It's incredibly difficult to talk rationally about the Clone Saga because there is so much God drat stupid packed in one place that you can't focus on any one thing and it all blends into a stew of everything that is bad about superhero comics and their attendant storytelling hitches, and the toxic influence corporate overhead can exert. I know people are sick of hearing about it, but it keeps getting brought up because it really is that bad.

TL;DR - Here's the most exhaustive breakdown of this clusterfuck I've ever read. The best part is the exclamation that charging five dollars for a comic book meant it had to be really worthwhile. We're probably five years out from that being the norm.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Wasn't Clone Saga extended at the request of their finance and marketing departments because Marvel was bleeding money and they noticed it was one of the few titles doing well consistently?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
OMD happened because Joe Quesada wanted it to happen, that much is clear, but the fact that Marvel took delivery of Loeb's scripts for Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum, read them, reviewed them and thought, "Yep. That's another world-beater," remains one of the most perplexing mysteries of modern comicdom.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Metal Loaf posted:

OMD happened because Joe Quesada wanted it to happen, that much is clear, but the fact that Marvel took delivery of Loeb's scripts for Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum, read them, reviewed them and thought, "Yep. That's another world-beater," remains one of the most perplexing mysteries of modern comicdom.

As bad as those are, and they are pretty loving bad, didn't they still sell like gangbusters?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Are there any serious Christian fundamentalist heroes? Now I am curious. Like literally bible toting preachin' Christian.

I can think of one.

Also, regarding that Wolverine panel--how come I'm the only one who notices that Wolverine clearly says "Who" twice in a row, and editing didn't catch it?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Madkal posted:

Didn't Wolverine go to hell? Surely that has to do something for a man's faith.

I'm sure Terry Pratchett would say that just because you've met gods doesn't mean you have to believe in them.

Tends to encourage them.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Madkal posted:

One title I was going to comment on that I have read was Way's Venom, but I think Gavok is probably saving up for a really (hopefully) big entry about that steaming pile of crap so I might as well leave it to him. But it was a steaming pile of crap. Man, what a steaming pile of crap was Way's Venom run. When people say "what is that steaming pile of crap of yonder?" the answer will always be "that's Way's Venom run". Because it was a steaming pile of crap.

Might as well. So as everyone can probably figure out by now, I've read nearly every Venom comic appearance there is. Of all those comics, without a doubt the worst comes from this.

Venom (2003) #1-18 by Daniel Way

Venom went two years without a single comic appearance until Howard Mackie brought him back for Spider-Man. After a year's worth of stories where Venom did a big pile of nothing while acting like he was totally going to do something, Venom vanished into the ether yet again. It was another two years of absence before Marvel announced a new Venom series as part of the Tsunami line.

I'll list the main points of what was wrong with it, but first a quick look at what goes down. The first five issues are a knockoff of John Carpenter's the Thing. The second five issues are about Venom in either Alaska or Canada where he fights and briefly assimilates Wolverine. The next three issues are a flashback to explain stuff while bringing up even more questions. Then the last five issues take place in NYC where Venom fights Spider-Man, Nick Fury... and Venom. Which brings us to the first problem.

1) The comic isn't even about Venom. At least, it isn't about THE Venom. We find out far down the line that this is a clone of the Venom symbiote. The real Venom (and Eddie Brock) don't appear until the flashback story in #11. This isn't a damning point on its own because it could have worked in the right hands. Then again, clones are the last thing the Spider-Man corner of the Marvel universe needed.

2) It's incredibly mean-spirited. Loads of innocent people killed. An entire town wiped out. The hero is constantly tortured, abused and shown to be worthless while at no point having anything resembling a victory. At no point is evil punished in any way.

3) It's disjointed and confusing. Here's my best attempt at explaining the plot. The tale of Noah's Ark is based on a situation from thousands of years ago when a bunch of nanites came to Earth to wipe out humanity. At the last second, they decided not to and left. A batch of nanites didn't get the memo and were stranded, trying to figure out a way to kill all humans. They took the form of a guy named Bob with a bushy mustache. With a series of cloned twins (who don't know that they're cloned), he waits it out for years until a guy sells Venom's dismembered tongue on eBay. Bob steals the tongue, gets scientists to clone it and lets it loose. The idea is that this Venom symbiote clone will somehow cause the apocalypse. Meanwhile, the original nanites come back from space to stop the offshoot Bob. Rather than actually tell him to stand down, the good nanites take the form of an Agent Smith knockoff named the Suit, who is intent on killing the clone creature. At times, the Suit is really Bob in disguise, giving our hero and Venom clone host Patricia bad advice.

4) The good guys suck. Every hero in the series is incompetent and/or an rear end in a top hat who ends up on their back. The only characters who know what they're doing are the Venom clone (who is practically a slasher villain) and Bob. Bob even proceeds to humble Nick Fury and pressures him into calling him "sir".

5) Wolverine survives a nuke. Forget that Nitro thing from Civil War. Wolverine has a nuke dropped on him and all it proceeds to do is knock his shirt off and knock him out. This is right after a cliffhanger where the Suit's weapon (a weaponized smartphone, years before smartphones were a thing, which itself is kind of cool) zapped him into being a skeleton. Wolverine naturally came back from that in-between the last page of that issue and the first page of the next.

6) Venom Frenches the Thing.

7) It has a complete non-ending. It ends at #18 and it's written as if it was a huge surprise to Way. The storytelling is so rushed that you can't even tell what's going on at all. The quick version is that the two Venoms meet, merge together and the singular Venom jumps through a wall, bigger than ever. Whether Patricia is dead, assimilated into this or left naked in the aftermath is never explained. Bob is out there, happy that everything is going according to plan and nobody cares. It's never been brought up again, not even by Way. The only reference to this series is that Mighty Avengers arc with the Venom Bomb. When Iron Man's looking at a list of symbiote host alumni, it namedrops Patricia.

I've written more detailed looks at the series here and here.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I was going to dig up my copies of Batman 579-581 but apparently they are so bad I've hid them from myself.

Fortunately, the arc is fairly well trod comic blog fodder and for good reason. The comics are bad, but also bad in the way that's fun to write about. The story is stupid and barely makes any sense with a unlikable villain and Batman being a weirdo. The art is the funny sort of hideous where Batman spends the whole arc thrusting his crotch and dressing up like a GI Joe.

Oh my god, these used to come with the UK's Batman Legends comic as the "B" story ("A" was Hush, "C" was usually a classic)
EVERYONE I knew who read it absolutely hated the middle stories. Absolute poo poo.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Gavok posted:

I'll list the main points of what was wrong with it, but first a quick look at what goes down. The first five issues are a knockoff of John Carpenter's the Thing.

It's not even a knockoff of the Thing, it IS the Thing. It's literally the exact same plot, beat for beat, except with the symbiote as the Thing.

This was during that weird time in the early 2000's where Marvel was copying movie scripts down to the letter, ie Identity Disc being the Usual Suspects but with super villains.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mike From Nowhere posted:

When Nightcrawler appeared in the X-Men animated series, he was already a priest while Wolverine thought God had it in for mutants, then at the end of the story arc Nightcrawler gives Wolverine a Bible and Rogue finds him confessing his sins in a church.

Not that it kept him from coveting Cyclops's wife, of course.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

I am almost positive that Ben Grimm is still practicing judaism, so is Kitty Pryde. Although that's not Christianity its still certainly interesting.

Also, I am gonna go ahead and say A vs X : What if is loving horrific on every single level and bad for sooooooo many reasons. It's just terribly written drawn, characters attitudes make no sense. J

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Like everything else, the religion of comic book characters has been exhaustively chronicled by nerds on the internet, with a detailed compilation of screen caps, scans, transcripts, quotes, interviews and posts from writers, and citations to back it up

http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/comic_book_religion.html

Here is wolverine in particular raised Protestant; sometimes atheist; has practiced Buddhism; skeptical seeker

For my bad run, I submit the Hama run of Wolverine, starting with Wolverine 100 in 1996. http://marvel.wikia.com/Wolverine_Vol_2_100
This is where, after the adamantium was ripped out, we got the insanity of bone claws, no nose, puberty 2.0 Logan.

Look at that. It is terrible, both in concept and not particularly interesting in execution.

edit:

Hollis posted:

I am almost positive that Ben Grimm is still practicing judaism, so is Kitty Pryde. Although that's not Christianity its still certainly interesting.

Ben is officially "Jew... ish" as they say. Kinda sorta practices when he remembers. Fantastic Four (Vol. 3) #56 deals with it

Kitty is Jewish, proud of it, and active in her synagogue. It was a minor plot point recently, where Bendis brought it up again to slam the hell out of Remender's "m-word" rant

EDIT 2:
Sabertooth is also Jewish by the way. You may remember that blow up in 1998 over Wolverine #131. If you don't have this:

This was written by Brian K. Vaughan, and while Marvel and Vaughan said that was a typo, I can't really think of any letter substitution there that doesn't make it a racial slur. The reprints changed it to "killer"

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 1, 2013

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
that site has some...interesting religious choices. Like Alcoholics Anonymous.

Also, they got cute and claimed Joker's religion was being Batman's nemesis.

Realism
Sep 16, 2008

Gavok posted:

Might as well. So as everyone can probably figure out by now, I've read nearly every Venom comic appearance there is. Of all those comics, without a doubt the worst comes from this.

Venom (2003) #1-18 by Daniel Way

Spider-fan.org has a good write-up on this whole disaster, they reviewed every issue extensively.

I couldn't really understand the confusing nonsensical story (especially with all the bald-headed clones everywhere) until I read those reviews.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

E the Shaggy posted:

Joe Quesada's Spiderman

This reminds me of one of the most annoying aspects of JMS: his ability to spin himself as the victim of evil Marvel and Joe Quesada. OMD wasn't HIS fault, it was all Joe Quesada he even took his name off the issue in protest! Sins Past wasn't HIS fault, it was all Joe Quesada! He didn't WANT to leave Thor, it was because of Marvel! Guys, he's such a victim; the little guy and true creator hosed over by the big, nasty, mean corporation. Ignore the fact that Marvel bent over backwards for him most of the time going so far as to let his mediocre protege do fill-ins on his ASM run as well as launch her own series (Araña) or the fact that he got longer than the run they originally agreed on for Thor.

Also ignore the fact that he was down with OMD barring the mechanics of how it'd happen or that Sins Past was still his idea bar Norman being the father (so he should receive all the blame for those stories being garbage), it's totally not his fault at all!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Like everything else, the religion of comic book characters has been exhaustively chronicled by nerds on the internet, with a detailed compilation of screen caps, scans, transcripts, quotes, interviews and posts from writers, and citations to back it up

http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/comic_book_religion.html

It bugs me that there is apparently not a single Unitarian superhero.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That website's lack of any kind of left margin makes it look kind of wonky.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Choco1980 posted:

that site has some...interesting religious choices. Like Alcoholics Anonymous.

Also, they got cute and claimed Joker's religion was being Batman's nemesis.

They list "Communism", "feminism" and "liberal" as religions. If that counts, then Joker's whacked out ideology certainly should.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
I'd nominate Denny O'Neil's Amazing Spider-Man run as a "worst run," at least compared to what came before and after. Marv Wolfman preceded O'Neil, and while he wasn't always great, and sometimes seemed to forget Spider-Man had super powers and really shouldn't get trashed by the Kingpin, he also introduced Black Cat and introduced some cool new story developments including Peter leaving the Bugle to work for a rival paper that seemed too good to be true, together with a dark secret. O'Neil almost immediately hits the reset button on all of that, but more importantly, he does what feels like 18 months of inventory stories. Spider-Man has one of the greatest rogues galleries ever, and he spent this period fighting Hydro Man twice, two different atomic monsters, a new version of the Frightful Four featuring a Namor villain (and a Namor team-up) that lasted about four-five issues, and X-Men minor villain Mesmero. Maybe this wouldn't have been so bad on a useless book like "Web" but this was the flagship book and featured JRJR as he was just becoming a "name." Stern followed this run and blew it out of the water.

I'm also not a big Steve Englehart fan, but my least favorite run/time his mediocrity stuck out the most is Fantastic Four. It didn't help that he pouted about editorial interference to the point of inserting his own character as the writer of the in-universe FF comic, and had an extended storyline that was just the characters having dreams about the (dumb) directions he wanted to take the book. He was also in between Byrne's great run (even if it had fizzled a bit by the end) and Simonson's amazing run.

I know Austen was objectively worse, and he was followed by Bendis, but Johns's Avengers run felt a bit like a gut punch after Busiek. Johns just crosses out "Batman" and writes "Black Panther" a lot, and there's needless and dumb ret-cons about She-Hulk's power being driven by fear. Also, he hints at a big Zodiac story, then must've realized how lame that sounded, and never brings up the subplot again. Plus, that Hank and Jan issue is just creepy. It also took place during a time period of maximum decompression, so 2-3 issue storylines were routinely stretched to six.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I can't quite put into words what makes it so toxic to me compared to all of the other stupid poo poo in comics that I can and do routinely ignore, but Gwen Stacy loving Norman Osborn is just The Worst Thing.

I just cannot understand how that made it to print. Someone - several people! - looked at a comic in production that featured Gwen Stacy loving Norman Osborn and at no point said "holy poo poo, no, that's a terrible idea and completely destroys Gwen Stacy as a character, what the gently caress is wrong with you people?".

Is it still in continuity? Please tell me that it's been retconned completely and utterly.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

I can't quite put into words what makes it so toxic to me compared to all of the other stupid poo poo in comics that I can and do routinely ignore, but Gwen Stacy loving Norman Osborn is just The Worst Thing.

I just cannot understand how that made it to print. Someone - several people! - looked at a comic in production that featured Gwen Stacy loving Norman Osborn and at no point said "holy poo poo, no, that's a terrible idea and completely destroys Gwen Stacy as a character, what the gently caress is wrong with you people?".

Is it still in continuity? Please tell me that it's been retconned completely and utterly.

The kids get brought up every few years but for the most part people try and forget about it.

Suben posted:

This reminds me of one of the most annoying aspects of JMS: his ability to spin himself as the victim of evil Marvel and Joe Quesada. OMD wasn't HIS fault, it was all Joe Quesada he even took his name off the issue in protest! Sins Past wasn't HIS fault, it was all Joe Quesada! He didn't WANT to leave Thor, it was because of Marvel! Guys, he's such a victim; the little guy and true creator hosed over by the big, nasty, mean corporation. Ignore the fact that Marvel bent over backwards for him most of the time going so far as to let his mediocre protege do fill-ins on his ASM run as well as launch her own series (Araña) or the fact that he got longer than the run they originally agreed on for Thor.

Also ignore the fact that he was down with OMD barring the mechanics of how it'd happen or that Sins Past was still his idea bar Norman being the father (so he should receive all the blame for those stories being garbage), it's totally not his fault at all!

Yeah. While Quesada had some dumb ideas during his reign for Spider-Man JMS went full hog and Sins Past is 100% his doing for refusing to drop the story when he was told he couldn't do it the way he wanted. There's also the fact that he threw a tantrum over OMD when despite an entire committee agreeing on what the retcons would be happen and multiple arcs of Brand New Day written and drawn JMS wanted to change the ending where Mephisto retconned the last 40 years of Spider-Man out of continuity.

There's also the time where he threw a strop because he had Mary Jane break her arm and then forgot about it the next issue. People called him out on it and rather than owning up to his mistake he wrote this scene into Amazing 529 a few issues later.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Waterhaul posted:

There's also the time where he threw a strop because he had Mary Jane break her arm and then forgot about it the next issue. People called him out on it and rather than owning up to his mistake he wrote this scene into Amazing 529 a few issues later.

That really doesn't scream "poo poo writer" so much as "has a sense of humor" to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZoCMk74KcI

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I didn't think it was widely panned enough to post here, but someone on a website once put it down as one of 2012's worst comics, so I'm gonna go ahead and say it.

Jason Aaron's Incredible Hulk. It was awful and nearly killed my interest in the Hulk forever. Bald, snarky, badly drawn Hulk teaming up with the Punisher to fight humanoid dogs was...not one of the worst things I ever read, but drat close. It was extremely disappointing to be look up his work after reading the latest Thor(which is amazing and everyone should read), and finding out he did that. It was a good thing that particular arc was called Stay Angry, because reading it, I did.

armitags
Jun 5, 2013
From what I read about Tony Bedard's blue beetle run was terrible. It apparently included stuff such as the scarab forcing Jaime to stab Paco in a gruesome way, him smacking Brenda in the face, and abandoning his family for New York. Basically turning the character into every other an angsty teen superheroe book out there.Is there anything else that is bad I missed? As a huge fan of his pre new 52 run it is really depressing to see what has happened to that character.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

armitags posted:

From what I read about Tony Bedard's blue beetle run was terrible. It apparently included stuff such as the scarab forcing Jaime to stab Paco in a gruesome way, him smacking Brenda in the face, and abandoning his family for New York. Basically turning the character into every other an angsty teen superheroe book out there.Is there anything else that is bad I missed? As a huge fan of his pre new 52 run it is really depressing to see what has happened to that character.

What? I knew it was bad, but I did not know it was this. I think that his pre new 52 run is one of the best teen titles and really fun. What the hell DC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

bobkatt013 posted:

However, Witchfinder Lost and Gone Forever by Mike Mignola, John Arcudi, and John Severin is pointless and seemed to be there just for John Severin amazing art. It did not seem to have any connection to the larger universe so its really not worth reading.
Before that, John Arcudi created the Mask and DC:s Major Bummer, so he's definitely got writing chops (seriously, read Major Bummer). I'd just chalk Fightbolts up to a really, really, really bad editorial idea.

Realism posted:

Dan Slott's run on Superior Spider-Man has to be one of the worst right now.
It is the worst run of Superior Spider-Man ever. It's also the best run on Superior Spider-Man ever. :rimshot:

In all seriousness, if you think this is anywhere near as bad as the Howard Mackie ASM and SM run, you've either never read it or managed to repress it. In both cases I envy you.

It started in the stretch after the Clone Saga. At the time there were three Spider-books with slightly overarcing plots: Spectacular (various writers, including J.M. DeMatties), Amazing (DeFalco), and Peter Parker Spider-Man (Mackie). After the cancellation and relaunch following ASM #441, Mackie was handed both remaining books (PP:SM and ASM). Despite Dematties and former-editor-Glenn Greenbergs best efforts, DeFalco and Mackie really did a number on the readers. Tom Defalco isn't a bad writer per se, whereas Mackie forgets about things he's written, ignores or handwaves them away. For example, when Mackie was supposed to wrap up the Clone Saga, it became evident in planning that Mackie hadn't actually read the memo that explained how everything fit together.

Notable for the issues after after Clone Saga up to JMS' run were many concepts that were never again touched upon. Apart from the Nobody Goblin and Venom "killing" the Sinister Six that Gavok went into, here are some things off the top of my head:

- Korean martial artist Meiko Yin/Dragonfly, joins the Hand (ASM #421-423), one mention since
- S.H.O.C., superhero whose powers are killing him (SM #76), never seen again
- Someone at the Bugle looks at a picture of the doctor delivering Peter's baby and says something like "This guy is so mysterious and weird, he gives me the creeps" (ASM #421-423), never mentioned again
- Annie Herd, mercenary/supervillain Aura, paraplegic after Sensational #25, cameo appearance 8 years later
- Greg Herd, mercenary/supervillain Override, transformed to burning skeleton Shadrac (ASM v2 #2), cameo appearance 8 years later
- Spider-Man's new cat (ASM v2 #27), never expanded upon
- The sinister dog owned by Peter's hot neighbor, plot never resolved
- The guy stalking and kidnapping Mary Jane turned out to be "some guy with telepathy, it's not important" after years of buildup (ASM v2 #29), blows up at end of issue?

With a little help from DeFalco, he managed to forget/handwave away all these and more in just four years!

WickedHate posted:

Jason Aaron's Incredible Hulk. It was awful and nearly killed my interest in the Hulk forever. Bald, snarky, badly drawn Hulk teaming up with the Punisher to fight humanoid dogs was...not one of the worst things I ever read, but drat close. It was extremely disappointing to be look up his work after reading the latest Thor(which is amazing and everyone should read), and finding out he did that. It was a good thing that particular arc was called Stay Angry, because reading it, I did.
I liked "Stay Angry" because it was basically "Crank: The Comic", but holy lol should they have picked another artist.
The bigger problem was the opening "Island of doctor Moreau"-arc that took six issues to blow up Bruce Banner and had both Marc Silvestri and Whilce Portacio as artists. They're interchangeable, so the shift wasn't jarring, but still...

• Locked thread