Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
The Gehenna thing was the point where I figured Blackest Night wasn't really going to amount to anything good. I tried a few more issues but I don't think I completed it. It's also poorly written in that it's Johns throwing a bunch of "cool moments" at the reader that ultimately have little or no payoff or are just kind of tossed in the background quickly. The Black Lanterns show up and then in a few issues they kind fo just go away sort of in favor of Nekron who turns a bunch of resurrected heroes into Black Lanterns as a cliffhanger. You've got dudes like Animal Man, Aquaman and loving Superman as Black Lanterns and nothing's really done with that either to make them seem special. Then you get the back-up/emergency Lanterns like Scarecrow to end the issue, then like halfway through the next it goes away without ever having accomplished anything outside of being a Cool Moment.

Blackest Night was such garbage, goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Just like almost every book modern Jeph Loeb has done, his "Sabertooth Reborn" storyline on Wolverine starting at #310 is completely godawful, one of the worst runs I've ever read. After Wolverine killed Sabretooth, Loeb decided to bring him back in order to "improve" on Wolverine's origin. Instead of just being a regular mutant, Loeb decided it would be cooler if Wolverine and Sabretooth were actually part of a race of super-evolved wolf people (:psyduck:) and Wolverine himself started Weapon X, put himself through the program (:psypop:), and then intentionally got his memories wiped by Romulus, an immortal evolved wolf-person/crime lord/former Roman emperor (with psychic powers and super-healing and FOUR claws because he's Ultra Wolverine man!) who looked like this:

The entire story was completely incomprehensible and promptly ignored (and retconned, I hope) by every writer afterward. Even then, the worst thing about the story was how plainly poorly-written it was. Almost every single speech bubble is cringeworthy, and every issue had the most cliched, hackneyed narration running throughout. It reads like horrible Wolverine fanfiction, only the author is a paid, respected member of the industry who somehow keeps getting work instead of a fifth grader trying to write the raddest Wolverine story ever.

The only real saving grace is Simone Bianchi's artwork, and even that is hindered by the dark, muddy, too-airbrushed coloring Bianchi likes using for some reason.

HorseRenoir fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 31, 2013

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Suben posted:

Blackest Night was such garbage, goddamn.

Some of the one-offs were pretty cool. And I legit would enjoy a return of Weird Western Tales.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Realism posted:

Larry Hama's run on Wolverine after The Lazarus Project, he was doing quite well up until then, I don't know what happened....everything seems to just go downhill.

And I don't even know how you can write bad stories on a guy like Wolverine, I mean....that's gotta take some skills.

Alan Grant's run on Shadow of the Bat and Batman. The Last Arkham is one of the best Batman stories ever, so it was quite shocking for me to see that his other stories were drastically different from The Last Arkham, they were corny, campy, just plain stupid and nonsensical at times.

Dan Slott's run on Superior Spider-Man has to be one of the worst right now.

Jeph Loeb on Red Hulk was pretty bad too.

Funny you should ask that, because I actually have the answer to this question. I remember reading an interview where Larry Hama stated offhand that he really enjoyed writing for Wolverine, but the run became a victim of its own success. Once Marvel noticed that his run was making a lot of money, His editors started micromanaging every issue he wrote because they were afraid he might do something too weird with an important property. As you can guess this had the opposite effect and his run crashed and burned shortly afterwords. Hama's run has less to do with his writing skills and more to do with the fact that comic book companies only seem comfortable with giving writers complete freedom if they are a known superstar.

As for terrible runs, I like to think of JMS's run on superman where some lady yells at him for not saving her son/family member/I forget because he was too busy fighting dudes in space/saving the universe from galactic threats. Superman's solution? Walk across America and get in touch with the common man. At least, I think that was JMS's intention anyway. What his run is really about is Superman walking around and being a smug, condescending douche to anybody unfortunate enough to cross his path. This run is not only JMS at his worst, but Superman at his worst outside of the old superdickery comics.

However, nothing beats Jeff Loeb's run on the Ultimates after Millar left the book. Say what you will about Millar (and believe me, a lot can be said), but he and Brian Michael Bendis helped set a consistent tone for the Ultimate universe and set a lot of its rules. However, in one run, Loeb pretty much dealt the Ultimate universe a blow that it has never really recovered from. Long story short, Loeb wrote the Ultimate characters like regular marvel characters, Magneto used magnetism to melt the polar ice caps and killed most of the world's population, the human torch DROWNED, the Blob became a cannibal and ate The Wasp, and the Ultimate universe went from a more modern and darker take on Marvel superheroes to over the top awfultown. I think it was this run that really cemented Loeb as a writer that destroyed everything he touched.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Clip-On Fedora posted:

the Blob became a cannibal and ate The Wasp,

Good Christ. So this is the source of that moment in the Badass thread when Nightcrawler teleports a shark inside the Blob? I'd be perfectly happy to lose that if it meant none of that other nonsense happened.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Redeye Flight posted:

Good Christ. So this is the source of that moment in the Badass thread when Nightcrawler teleports a shark inside the Blob? I'd be perfectly happy to lose that if it meant none of that other nonsense happened.

Nope, that was AoA Blob, not Ultimate Blob. Cannibalism seems to be a running theme with the character.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gavok posted:

Venom just came back after two years of zero comic book appearances (shocking in its own right) and insisted on joining the Sinister Six. They didn't take kindly to this and betrayed him. Venom decided that he was going to pick them off and kill them one by one. Spider-Man would try to fight them both off and stop anyone from dying. Any capable writer could turn that into a really cool story. Not only did Mackie fumble around on it, such as the issue where Venom "killed" Sandman, but he didn't have a single ending in mind. Venom just kind of stopped with no explanation.

He took out Sandman, then he went after Electro and Kraven, then he de used he wanted to get back together with his ex-wife, then she killed herself and he swore vengeance on Spider-Man, then the symbiote is stolen by Senator Ward and the last time we see Eddie Brock in Mackie's run is him being detained by the cops when he tries to go into a church to confess his sins.

E the Shaggy posted:

Oh man, that reminds me of the horrible "Evil Senator" arc during Mackie's run, since I think the Senator was responsible for Venom loving off.

He kept building this senator for SO long (Had to be at least 30 issues over all the Spider titles, again and again and again. Every single issue seemed to end with "Who is the Senator? Why is he so evil? What is his origin? How will Spiderman defeat him?"

Then it was just dropped completely.

The Senator Ward thing drove me nuts. I think it ended up being a loose tie-in with the Maximum Security crossover in the Avengers and X-Men books.

Of course, the big thing in Mackie's Spider-Man run was what I suppose you could call the dry-run for OMD, where Mary Jane is seemingly killed in a plane crash and Spider-Man thinks she was kidnapped by Doctor Doom, then he ends up homeless, has his costume stolen while sleeping rough and ends up moving into a swinging bachelor pad with Robbie Robertson's son.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Clip-On Fedora posted:

As for terrible runs, I like to think of JMS's run on superman where some lady yells at him for not saving her son/family member/I forget because he was too busy fighting dudes in space/saving the universe from galactic threats. Superman's solution? Walk across America and get in touch with the common man. At least, I think that was JMS's intention anyway. What his run is really about is Superman walking around and being a smug, condescending douche to anybody unfortunate enough to cross his path. This run is not only JMS at his worst, but Superman at his worst outside of the old superdickery comics.

Grounded and Superman's lovely attitude in it makes a lot more sense when you realize that JMS is a Ron Paul supporter.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Suben posted:

Grounded and Superman's lovely attitude in it makes a lot more sense when you realize that JMS is a Ron Paul supporter.

Grounded was a lovely storyline along with most of his other work, but he did say this in 2007

quote:

The entry is accurate. I donated $2K to his campaign, in order to
encourage a more moderate voice on the Iraq war.

Then I discovered that he wanted to overturn Roe vs. Wade and a lot of
hard-won civil rights legislation.

So much for that.

jms

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

When Peter David FINALLY ended his fantastic run on The Incredible Hulk, he was replaced by Bruce Jones (Volume 2, issues 34-76). At first I was concerned since David was THE definitive Hulk writer in my mind, but I found myself very pleasantly surprised with Bruce Jones' start on the run. It came to be one of the comics I looked forward to the most every week, as I waited to see who Mr. Blue was, what the big secret behind the conspiracy was, what part The Abomination would play, plus it was neat to see Bruce walking the land again, spending a lot of time in big open areas away from cities and other heroes/villains. Then... it just kept going. And going. And nothing was being resolved. And new plot threads got introduced and then abandoned or ignored or forgotten. And people kept dying and coming back to life (I know this is comics but this was ridiculous). And the art was so generic that I couldn't tell a lot of the female characters apart. And the whole thing just kept staggering along with no sign of stopping that by the time everything was (badly) resolved I'd long since stopped caring, and I actually struggle to even remember what DID happen except that I vaguely recall it involved The Leader somehow and that it didn't make any goddamn sense.

I stopped reading Hulk until World War Hulk resparked my interest, my understanding is that after it was over Peter David came back on board and pretty much just said,"Nah none of that stuff happened", and then Greg Pak took over and made things interesting again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dr. Hurt posted:

Why did Spider-Man even need an Iron Man suit anyway? What's the in comic explanation for why he would put that on aside from it being toyetic?

The funny thing about the issue where he gets the Iron Spider suit is how stupid he acts in order to use some of its features. Like to show off how bulletproof it is he's put into a situation where he has to get shot and there are no other options to avoid it.

The in-universe explanation was that Peter and Tony had been working together for a while, with Tony acting as kind of a mentor to Peter and he wanted to help him out by giving him the new suit. (Also because Tony is a huge jerk he also put in all the monitoring equipment to spy on Peter.)

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
Superman 204 - 215 "For Tomorrow" by Brian Azarello and Jim Lee
Superman floats around talking to a priest about maybe god knows what and some plot about a million people including lois lane burbles away in the background until everything is resolved in a tedious and unsatisfactory fashion.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Spider-Man: The Other
A comic where Spider-Man dies and then gives birth to himself:

Apparently this was done so he resembled the movie version more (he got organic web shooters), but those changes were retconned a short time after anyways.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I can't really do a write-up of the run, but Austen's run on Avengers was my first foray into Marvel since I was a kid.

It took me like five years to try picking up a Marvel book again.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That wasn't the other that was disassembled I think.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
As someone who only dips in and out of comics and even rarer into Marvel/DC, I remember finishing the the first two volumes of the Ultimates which I enjoyed a lot, not just because of any 'grim and grittier = better than' stuff but because it seemed like they were setting up to tell some pretty cool stories in a universe slightly closer to reality than fantasy.

Then I had the mental equivalent of one of those record-scratch movie-trailer moments when I started reading volume three. The art turned into some kind of weird hyper-smoothed unrealistic thing that was just plain weird after the first two volumes. It felt like the dude who was leaving the series filled his successor in when they were passing each other in the halls because like three or four things didn't make sense right out of the gate (a minor character given quite a few scenes and fully established as a normal human and superhero-groupie is suddenly a superhero, and also Venom is here now?). I don't remember much more except that Quicksilver spends two pages running alongside a bullet and not catching it for some reason even though he's what twenty times faster than them? I don't know if it recovered because I didn't pick up anything after it. I remember one of you guys (it might have been Rhino or Gavok) did a much better writeup of it somewhere hear, I'll try and track it down.

Now all I read is Saga and Fletcher Hanks. Thanks, Ultimates volume 3. :argh:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Cable had been trucking along for something like 20 issues with one of the best collaborations in modern comics history--Joe Casey and Ladronn. The title couldn't have asked for a more in sync creative team, and they were absolutely killing it. Ladronn's art was a revelation, and leagues beyond what the title deserved--though definitely influenced by one Mr. Kirby, it still popped as his own (especially when it came to fine detail) and I honestly don't know how he managed to illustrate as many issues as he did without breaking his hand off.

Well, it turns out Marvel had some pretty good ideas on how to improve the title. The key part of the plan? Fire Ladronn and bring on The Rob Liefeld. Well, Casey didn't take too kindly to that at all, so he bailed with his partner, Thelma & Louise style, and then Rob ended up quitting like 3 issues later anyway. The whole title floundered and went completely to poo poo. A running theme with these issues is that Liefeld, creator of Cable, never quite remembers which eye is the mechanical one, so it switches back and forth non-stop. Also, for the big #75 issue, neither Joe Pruitt (the then-current writer) nor Liefeld accepted responsibility for the plot, which is always a great sign.

I'm happy that Casey & Ladronn got as long as they did on the title, but knowing that it was shut down and flushed down the hole due to pure managerial incompetence just breaks the heart. To paraphrase You Don't Know Jack, "Rob Liefeld is NEVER the right answer."

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 31, 2013

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Pierson posted:

Now all I read is Saga and Fletcher Hanks. Thanks, Ultimates volume 3. :argh:

Read Daredevil and Hawkeye.

The most insane part of Ultimates 3 was the very beginning of it, where the team is discussing how Tony is pretty much shattered after Black Widow betrayed the team WHILE WATCHING THE SEX VIDEO THE TWO OF THEM MADE...IN FRONT OF TONY.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Apparently this was done so he resembled the movie version more (he got organic web shooters), but those changes were retconned a short time after anyways.

Also, the entire story hinged on a supervillain with the ability to control insects being able to influence Peter because of his spider powers. :eng99:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

E the Shaggy posted:

Read Daredevil and Hawkeye.

The most insane part of Ultimates 3 was the very beginning of it, where the team is discussing how Tony is pretty much shattered after Black Widow betrayed the team WHILE WATCHING THE SEX VIDEO THE TWO OF THEM MADE...IN FRONT OF TONY.

Lets not forget this moment

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I never read it myself but I heard Spiderman: Sins of the Father by JMS is something special too. Something about Gwen Stacy having kids with Osbourne and other insanity.

One title I was going to comment on that I have read was Way's Venom, but I think Gavok is probably saving up for a really (hopefully) big entry about that steaming pile of crap so I might as well leave it to him. But it was a steaming pile of crap. Man, what a steaming pile of crap was Way's Venom run. When people say "what is that steaming pile of crap of yonder?" the answer will always be "that's Way's Venom run". Because it was a steaming pile of crap.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Alhazred posted:

You're actually getting your "terrible reboot Spider-Mans powers" books confused.

Spider-Man: Disassembled was the one that gave Peter organic webbing and let him talk to spiders after bursting out of a giant spider.
Spider-Man: The Other was a terrible JMS event that gave Peter wrist spikes, fangs and night vision from making a cocoon after he had been beaten and his eye eaten by Morlun.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Lets not forget this moment

I haven't read any Ultimate other than Spider-Man, but this thing gets posted constantly and I don't quite understand why it's a big deal.

All it says to me is that Ultimate Wolverine is a huge dick, it doesn't seem particularly gross or anything like much of the other stuff posted in this thread.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Madkal posted:

I never read it myself but I heard Spiderman: Sins of the Father by JMS is something special too. Something about Gwen Stacy having kids with Osbourne and other insanity.

This is what Norman Osborn looks like when he's really happy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I haven't read any Ultimate other than Spider-Man, but this thing gets posted constantly and I don't quite understand why it's a big deal.

All it says to me is that Ultimate Wolverine is a huge dick, it doesn't seem particularly gross or anything like much of the other stuff posted in this thread.

At that point he is not a huge dick. Also during Ultimate 3 Hawkeye was going on and on how his wife and kids were brutally murdered. It was just extremely out of character for both of them and just one problem with that horrible horrible comic.

Realism
Sep 16, 2008

Alhazred posted:

There was a part in The Other where Spider-Man went to visit Black Panther and during the trip he changed his stairstyle to cornrows.

It would have been more entertaining if they rolled with that and have him act all gangster.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
I figure it's time to delve into the big one:

Joe Quesada's Spiderman

Something strange happened with Spiderman around the time of the Clone Saga. The character isn't a vehicle for good stories anymore, its a vehicle for spectacle. Rather than hire on folks to write good stories, its all about EVENTS! NEW COSTUMES! CLONES! DEALS WITH SATAN!

When I say Joe Quesada's Spiderman run, I'm talking about all the editorial poo poo he pulled during JMS' run, and then every time he wrote/created a story following it.

When JMS thought of the idea of revealing that Gwen Stacy had Peter's secret children, Quesada thought that Peter having children was a terrible idea, but rather than scrap the story, they just replaced Peter with Norman Osborn, effectively destroying the character of Gwen Stacy. Gwen Stacy was now the girl who hosed her friend's, Harry, dad while he was going through withdrawals because she was attracted to Norman's "magnetism" Christ. We also got Norman (AND THE loving GREEN GOBLIN'S) "Oh face":

But really, having Gwen Stacy secretly gently caress Norman Osborn wasn't what was destroying the Spiderman book, it was the marriage! The marriage to Mary Jane was making Peter old and unrelatable and this simply couldn't happen (Meanwhile, a 50 year old obese super villain is residing in Peter's body, which I think we all can relate to). So the idea was created to get rid of the marriage, but how?

Peter and Mary Jane divorcing would make Peter seem old. Killing Mary Jane off would make Peter a widow and make him old. So the logical course was taken, Peter would make a deal with the devil. Mephisto was brought in to offer Peter one of the most convulted deals in the history of comics, that ended up working out for all parties involved. Divorce is wrong kids, but making deals with the devil is totally awesome! To say nothing of the fact that JMS had actually created the perfect out that didn't involve the devil. During his run, Loki became indebted to Spiderman and owed him a favor, but since Loki was being used elsewhere, the idea was shot down.

So the deal was made, Peter's identity is made secret again (which wasn't revealed how until years later) and the marraige was done away with.

Then came "OMIT - One Moment in Time" where its explained that Peter originally missed his marriage day with Mary Jane because a fat guy landed on him.

Like...how can you even make this poo poo up and think its a good idea? At the same time, in the present, Peter is talking with Mary Jane about why they never got married, and its because Mary Jane would only get married if she could have kids and she couldn't have kids if Peter was Spiderman and is your head exploding yet? OMIT also showed how Mary Jane had tricked Mephisto with the deal by making it so that the deal actually never happened or something...There's just nothing worse in comics.

E the Shaggy fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 31, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

You're actually getting your "terrible reboot Spider-Mans powers" books confused.

Spider-Man: Disassembled was the one that gave Peter organic webbing and let him talk to spiders after bursting out of a giant spider.
Spider-Man: The Other was a terrible JMS event that gave Peter wrist spikes, fangs and night vision from making a cocoon after he had been beaten and his eye eaten by Morlun.

The Other also gave us MJ and Aunt May flying around in old Iron Man armors!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Endless Mike posted:

The Other also gave us MJ and Aunt May flying around in old Iron Man armors!

That doesn't sound terrible.

That sounds the opposite of terrible.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Loeb wrote the Ultimate characters like regular marvel characters, Magneto used magnetism to melt the polar ice caps and killed most of the world's population, the human torch DROWNED, the Blob became a cannibal and ate The Wasp, and the Ultimate universe went from a more modern and darker take on Marvel superheroes to over the top awfultown. I think it was this run that really cemented Loeb as a writer that destroyed everything he touched.

Human Torch didn't drown. Blob, however, did eat Wasp which was one of the stupidest out of character things I've ever seen in comics. The story was really really weak overall, and did far more harm than it did good.

That said, just like with anything dealing with Ultimate Marvel, everything Spider-Man related was gold. Plus, without Ultimatum, Iceman and Human Torch would have never moved into Aunt May's house.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Sins Past was fantastic. I approve. I do not approve of OMD or OMIT and would have rather they just have had Waid, Wells, Kelly on the book instead. JMS's run started out well enough then sort of petered into all over the place and to questionable quality. At least he turned things around initially on the book.

Realism
Sep 16, 2008
Doug Monech's run on Catwoman.

He's one of my favorite Batman writers, I have no idea how the heck he screwed this one up so badly.

The electrical armor cat was not only an abysmal idea, it's just disappointing that he had to go that route. It seems all these Superheroes have a 'robot' version of them stashed somewhere, and he had to do it for Catwoman too? I mean Come on...

Not only did he screw up Catwoman, Two-Face was terrible in here as well, he was an ordinary dumb-thug in here, that's all he was.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

HorseRenoir posted:

Just like almost every book modern Jeph Loeb has done, his "Sabertooth Reborn" storyline on Wolverine starting at #310 is completely godawful, one of the worst runs I've ever read. After Wolverine killed Sabretooth, Loeb decided to bring him back in order to "improve" on Wolverine's origin. Instead of just being a regular mutant, Loeb decided it would be cooler if Wolverine and Sabretooth were actually part of a race of super-evolved wolf people (:psyduck:) and Wolverine himself started Weapon X, put himself through the program (:psypop:), and then intentionally got his memories wiped by Romulus, an immortal evolved wolf-person/crime lord/former Roman emperor (with psychic powers and super-healing and FOUR claws because he's Ultra Wolverine man!) who looked like this:

The entire story was completely incomprehensible and promptly ignored (and retconned, I hope) by every writer afterward. Even then, the worst thing about the story was how plainly poorly-written it was. Almost every single speech bubble is cringeworthy, and every issue had the most cliched, hackneyed narration running throughout. It reads like horrible Wolverine fanfiction, only the author is a paid, respected member of the industry who somehow keeps getting work instead of a fifth grader trying to write the raddest Wolverine story ever.

The only real saving grace is Simone Bianchi's artwork, and even that is hindered by the dark, muddy, too-airbrushed coloring Bianchi likes using for some reason.

You forgot the best part:

http://www.dailyraider.com/index.php?id=4318 posted:

"Unless you admit intelligent design is an equally plausible theory for mankind's origins, I am OUT OF HERE!"

There are so many things wrong with this I have to explore it in more depth than I normally would a single panel in a multi-part storyline. First of all, Wolverine's an atheist. He's never, to my knowledge, expressed a firm belief in the creator, much less said creator being directly responsible for all life. And doesn't Xavier's entire idea of mutantcy require a belief in genetic advancement and adaptation through generations that evolution suggests? "The next stage in evolution" is the entire loving concept for the X-Men. If Loeb's suggesting Wolverine believes God created mutants in the last century because gently caress it, why not, he's obviously taken a lot of blows to the head over the years. (Wolverine, not Loeb, although he's probably taken a lot of those as well.) Storm's counterpoint is a non-sequitur. What does it have to do with debating evolution? Furthermore, why the gently caress is Wolverine popping his claws in response to T'Challa and Storm laying out a theory that challenges his apparently-held creationist beliefs? Is he going to gut Storm for questioning his belief in the Earth being created 6000 years ago in 7 days? Nothing about it makes any loving sense, man! That said, Loeb sets up an entertaining concept I hope the comedy-minded X-writers explore: Wolverine, Christian fundamentalist. I can imagine it now.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Are there any serious Christian fundamentalist heroes? Now I am curious. Like literally bible toting preachin' Christian.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Spoilers Below posted:

You forgot the best part:

Okay, it's definitely a bit out of character for Wolverine to say it, but I'd have to see it in context to get a better idea. Like I could see Wolverine saying something like this, just to be the voice of opposition to an idea, since Wolverine does that all the time. And despite what that article says, I never saw Wolverine as an atheist. Oh sure, he's a cynic and may be down on organized religion, but the man has lived long enough that he would have to pick up some form of spirituality. (If nothing else then from his time spent in Japan.)
I think the best quote to sum up Wolverine would be from Pitch Black

"Got it all wrong, Holy Man. I absolutely believe in God....And I hate the fucker."

As for the panel, while on the one hand it's pretty dumb....on the other hand. Giant Space Gods DID land on Marvel Earth and start blasting rays at the ground until normals, Deviants and Eternals emerged. Hell, one of them is just standing around in San Fransisco.

And then like years later, a bunch of blue and pink aliens tried to copy the space gods and the Inhumans were created. Inteligent Design is something that isn't so far fetched in the MU.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Are there any serious Christian fundamentalist heroes? Now I am curious. Like literally bible toting preachin' Christian.

Wasn't Nightcrawler a priest?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

smashpro1 posted:

Wasn't Nightcrawler a priest?

No it was an illusion. It was a plot to make Nightcrawler pope and then reveal to the world that the pope is a mutant and then cause the rapture with exploding communion wafers. Thank you very much Chuck Austin.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He, at the least, was into Jesus. In fact, I'm fairly sure they mentioned that as a contrast between him and Logan.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Question IRL posted:

Okay, it's definitely a bit out of character for Wolverine to say it, but I'd have to see it in context to get a better idea. Like I could see Wolverine saying something like this, just to be the voice of opposition to an idea, since Wolverine does that all the time. And despite what that article says, I never saw Wolverine as an atheist. Oh sure, he's a cynic and may be down on organized religion, but the man has lived long enough that he would have to pick up some form of spirituality. (If nothing else then from his time spent in Japan.)
I think the best quote to sum up Wolverine would be from Pitch Black

"Got it all wrong, Holy Man. I absolutely believe in God....And I hate the fucker."

Wolverine's not an atheist, because he wasn't able to resist Weapon XVI. Noh-Varr and Fantomex had to save the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Given his love of Japanese culture, maybe he's into Shintoism?

• Locked thread