Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is that Steve Dillon art? Those are Steve Dillon eyes.

Nah, it's Chris Sprouse. You can tell by the chins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Also everyone seems to have different faces

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Edge & Christian posted:

It's awful.

If you want a book with a lot of weird projection and discussion of what plucky Ike Perlmutter whistled to himself as he went up the elevator on a brisk March afternoon to see Avi Arad watching Seinfeld and thinking back to his time in the 1950s at a little cabin as he says to himself "Ike, you need to remember what your momma told you" even though he didn't even interview anyone so he's basically making up cheesy backstory out of whole cloth, this book is for you. It's hilarious in retrospect how he does his best to portray Perlmutter as a "plucky David" just trying to make ends meet in the face of BIG CORPORATE FATCATS, and it's a struggle to make Perlmutter seem sympathetic. Even one of the cute "plucky common man Ike" stories involves him making money when he first moved to New York by pretending to be an Orthodox Rabbi and loitering outside cemeteries waiting to get hired to do mourner's kaddishes.

Also it has tons of basic factual errors too, like how Ron Perelman decided to buy Marvel in 1989 based on how successful gimmick covers and 1991's X-Men #1 and 1992's Atlantis Attacks (the first real crossover event) were. Or how Marvel faced tough competition from their longtime rival, Todd McFarlane's Image Comics.

Im not religious in the slightest, and that's still one of the most evil things I can think of.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lurdiak posted:

Nah, it's Chris Sprouse. You can tell by the chins.

Good call.

Opopanax posted:

Also everyone seems to have different faces

Eh, back in the day he had less of a problem with this.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know if this counts as a bad run. But I read emptying out this apartment of this guy that moved and inside tons of junk and among that junk I found a bunch of 90s comics. Like The Adventures of Ford Fairlane, and a bunch of 90s gimmick issues, like Batman in 3D.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While the arc itself wasn't bad, there was a really terrible moment at the end of Rick Remender's "Castaway in Dimension Z" Cap story arc, I'm talking about the Sharon Carter stuff. She shows up, shoots a little kid who she sees fighting Cap, doesn't seem to care that she shot said child and then kind of unceremoniously dies. The whole thing was so poorly done that I thought it was some kind of fake out but then the first issue after that arc ended characters were all "Yup, Sharon's dead."

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I was linked to Omni's post earlier this evening about the state of affairs Sonic comics ended up in over the years. It makes me glad I dropped them back in the late 90s or so. I remember all the ridiculous Echidna relatives and just seeing what that feklow is doing now is...it makes me cringe just looking at it. So thank you for helping me remember terrible things about the past :D

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Good Listener posted:

I was linked to Omni's post earlier this evening about the state of affairs Sonic comics ended up in over the years. It makes me glad I dropped them back in the late 90s or so. I remember all the ridiculous Echidna relatives and just seeing what that feklow is doing now is...it makes me cringe just looking at it. So thank you for helping me remember terrible things about the past :D

I'm glad I could help, I still do recommend picking up the comics again though, now that the dark times are all behind and it's looking up sunshine.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Speaking of Sonic Comics, Ken Penders once did a pitch for a Sonic Movie. It's... You know, just watch. And weep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc2-fUf8wBs

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's something seriously wrong with Ken Penders, isn't there?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

rotinaj posted:

There's something seriously wrong with Ken Penders, isn't there?

You're beating a dead hedgehog horse there.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Stink Terios posted:

Speaking of Sonic Comics, Ken Penders once did a pitch for a Sonic Movie. It's... You know, just watch. And weep.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Now that it's finally officially over, let's talk about Scott Lobdell's run on Superman, aka, "UGHHHH gently caress REALLY?"

A little background will be necessary here. Lobdell was really the first writer to get his hands on Superman post-New 52. I know what you're going to say, that actually Grant Morrison was, and you'd be right, but let me explain myself. Everyone knows the New 52's initial launch was a clusterfuck. Plenty of books came out with references to pre-New 52 works (see Red Hood, Swamp Thing) or that straight up didn't reboot (see Batman, Green Lantern, Legion of Superheroes). Superman was in an awkward limbo because Grant Morrison was writing him a new origin in Action Comics, set five years prior to any other ongoings. This left the main Superman title (set in the present) in the hands of George Perez who wrote some really dull run-of-the-mill Superman stories to keep the ship afloat but also making sure that nothing really got moving while we got the origins of Superman (and his suit and his dog and etc, etc) over in Action. As for Superman (the book), it started being written by Keith Giffen who promptly started trying to tie it in to some thing with mind controlling aliens that I think was also going on in Grifter and some of the other Wildstorm books (did anyone read Grifter?), then Dan Jurgens wrote 3 issues once Giffen left.

This is why I say that Lobdell was the first writer to get his hands on Superman post-New 52. Nobody else had really done much with the guy in the present, whether for fear of contradicting stuff Morrison hadn't written yet or whether out of laziness I can't say. So I guess I'll say this for the guy: It takes balls to look at a clean slate, say "Here I can build" then poo poo all over that clean slate.

Anayway, Lobdell got on Superman with the first Superman Annual, but let's start looking at his work with Superman #13, which is one of the worst comics I've ever read. It's where he starts laying the groundwork for his run.

Oh hey, remember when I mentioned Morrison earlier? Does THIS look familiar to you?

No? How about now?

Scott Lobdell likes to co-opt the ideas of a lot of other (better) writers for stories he'd like to write, so meet ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL Dr. Shay Veritas who is not at all Dr. Leo Quintum because she is a sexy lady and doesn't wear a rainbow coat. Later on we'll see Lobdell make up not-Uatu and not-Silver Surfer.

Anyway let's cut to Clark quitting the Daily Planet. It's something that makes sense honestly. I mean, everybody's made/heard jokes about the how outdated the notion is of Clark Kent still being a newspaper reporter in the 21st century, so why not shake things up? Perez had the Daily Planet get bought out by Morgan Edge (basically a stand-in for Rupert Murdoch and other terrible controlling-the-media types) in his run and Morrison had established his Superman as being a strong upstanding social justice guy, so it makes even more sense. Lobdell put these together and got this:

OH poo poo SON. But wait, oh yeah, Clark Kent has the Superman beat because you know, he's loving Superman and so that's why he gets the exclusives about Superman. Reporters don't just get assigned positions for no reason; maybe if Clark wants to do investigative journalism so bad, he should've done some more of that instead of making a name for himself reporting on himself. He's only there so he can hear about disasters as they happen and then go out and be Superman anyway. But no, Lobdell has him pitch a fit like a sullen teenager and just quit.

Anyway, then Clark flies out to let off some steam when all of a sudden a giant monster appears for literally no reason.

(Why does he get hit to Europe if the monster just shows up again seconds later? There's nobody around! It's like Dragonball Z when a fight moves into featureless plains so the artist doesn't have to draw a city!) Note that one narration box about with the overdramatic narration about how Superman's punches "could topple a small mountain". Scott Lobdell wants to be a Silver Age writer so bad and his narration reflects that but he is sooo bad at writing narration. It'll get worse.

Anyway Superman kills the dragon by blowing up an oil well underneath it and then Supergirl shows up and is pissed off because apparently the dragon was actually some sort of prehistoric Kryptonian thing (a little background: N52 Supergirl got teleported to Earth by her dad instead of rocketed so she hasn't had much time to adjust to Krypton being gone)

Okay, that's issue 13. All that poo poo happens in one issue. I mean goddamn, pace yourself, Scott.

Oh yeah, check out the back there! Meet Original the Character DO NOT STEAL H'El! H'El is a character Scott Lobdell made up that he wanted to be the New 52's Bizarro but DC Editorial took a look at and said "No that's loving dumb". I mean drat, you gotta have a dumb idea for modern day DC editorial to reject it. H'El ended up being the villain of Lobdell's first big super-crossover: H'El on Earth, crossing over with Supergirl and Superboy. This is a real shame for at elast the former title, because I think most people agreed that aside from her ridiculous costume, N52 Supergirl was actually kind of a nice title. Superboy I can't say too much about. Anyway, the story starts out with H'El being a Mary Sue. He shows up and clowns Superboy, then takes off to Supergirl's book where he's like "Hey girl I can revive Krypton" and she just buys it no questions asked.

Let's check out Superman 14. In addition to the usual Kryptonian power-set (only even stronger and faster because of course he is), H'El also has the power to teach Supergirl English via telepathy, super-hypnotism, and the ability to somehow telekinetically rip Superboy's DNA apart (Superboy doesn't die though).

Superman 14 also features Lobdell writing Supergirl as an absolute bitch. In her series up to this point, Supergirl had been having problems acclimating due to accepting her world's death (see rather than rocketing to Earth and growing up there like Clark, she got teleported there and woke up one day with everyone she ever knew and loved dead), but she had done some heroic deeds and made a couple of friends. As soon as H'El shows up, he mentions a possibility of reviving Krypton and Supergirl is totally ready to let the world burn.

"Hey Kal you endangered some people :smug:"

After this, H'El proceeds to kick Superman out of the Fortress of Solitude so he can get access to all of Superman's kryptonian stuff, and he also changes all of Superman's lock codes and everything because H'El is the best at everything, of course. He also starts puttin' the moves on Supergirl, because Supergirl is dumb in this story even if you've got bleached skin and a scarred-up face and you beat up family members, so long as you make a vague promise that you can TOTALLY time travel, you can win a lady's affection.

Anyway, Clark and Superboy decide to have a consultation with Lex Luthor on how to break in to the Fortress of Solitude, which is when this bit of sillyness is introduced:

Yes, Luthor has a loving huge prison all to himself. Superman later smugly explains that he tricked Luthor to design it himself by challenging him to build an unescapable prison. This... actually doesn't make me too mad, it's ridiculous, but in a silly, Silver Age-y way. What's silly in a bad way is Luthor's nice burn on the side of his face. Luthor says Superman did it. Presumably, Lobdell would show this at some point right? Right? (No, the answer is no). Humorously, in an example of one writer going "this poo poo is retarded" to another writer's work, Charles Soule wrote Action Comics #23.3 during DC's whole Villains Month gimmick and the first thing he did was have Luthor get out of jail and get his face fixed.

Luthor tells them how H'El actually totally can go back in time and save Krypton but the time machine will totally destroy the Earth. How does he know this when he's in prison and shouldn't even know about H'El? Because he's just there to give exposition! Because Lex Luthor just knows things, man!

Oh, here's some more classic bad Lobdell narration when Superboy & Superman meet up with the Justice League before making a charge on the Fortress on Solitude.

:barf:

After a couple of boring fights where H'El beats up the whole Justice League because isn't he cool, Supergirl finally gets the picture that hey maybe this guy isn't that great. Also H'El throws Superman into orbit, which leads us to the end, but first:

Oh hi Uatu. NO WAIT I MEAN THE ORACLE HE'S TOTALLY ORIGINAL BECAUSE HE'S LIKE A STATUE INSTEAD OF A DUDE IN A TOGA. Anyway it's time to get serious, so Superman rushes back to Earth to oh who am I kidding

he gets tied up in psychic rope with Superboy and Wonder Woman so Supergirl can make a heroic sacrifice. She hides a piece of kryptonite on her and fakes defection again so she can get close to him then stakes him like a Kryptonian vampire

Okay, so here's the really dumb part.

The gently caress is this? He just suddenly falls backward through the timestream? What is going on on this page? He never hit any buttons in his time machine, but he suddenly just fades into nothingness. I hate you Scott Lobdell. Oh and an epilogue guest starring Scott Lobdell's best Stan Lee impression:

You know I was going to do a full write-up about Lobdell's run on Superman and Action Comics but ugh just looking up all these panels of H'El on Earth has just made me sick of it already. Maybe I'll come back and do write-ups on the rest of his run later. But here is my big thesis and I really am not using hyperbole here: I would rather read Grounded than Lobdell's Superman.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 21, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Anyway let's cut to Clark quitting the Daily Planet. It's something that makes sense honestly. I mean, everybody's made/heard jokes about the how outdated the notion is of Clark Kent still being a newspaper reporter in the 21st century, so why not shake things up? Perez had the Daily Planet get bought out by Morgan Edge (basically a stand-in for Rupert Murdoch and other terrible controlling-the-media types) in his run and Morrison had established his Superman as being a strong upstanding social justice guy, so it makes even more sense. Lobdell put these together and got this:

FWIW Morgan Edge was Rupert Murdock back in the 1970's, or whoever was the controlling media mogul who was ruining everything back in the 1970's. Either way, he's an old character that was being used in the exact same role so at least that's one thing you can't count against Lobdell.

The rest is totally his fault, though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Maybe I'll come back and do write-ups on the rest of his run later.

I hope so! I skipped out on Krypton Returns, got back in for the psychic stuff because I like ridiculous Hector Hammond, but skipped out again before Lois' whole power up, so I'd like to see gaps I have before Doomed started.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Holy poo poo, that Supergirl costume. I've been intentionally avoiding all of DC's Nu52 stuff, so I had no idea it was that bad. :psyduck:

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Holy poo poo, that Supergirl costume. I've been intentionally avoiding all of DC's Nu52 stuff, so I had no idea it was that bad. :psyduck:
It looks like she glued a handkerchief to the bottom hem of her shirt. I can't stop laughing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Remember when some higher-up sent a memo around saying that he "never wanted to see Supergirl's panties again"? Looks like the artists found a way around it by making it panty-time 24/7 and calling it a leotard.

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.

TwoPair posted:

Anyway, then Clark flies out to let off some steam when all of a sudden a giant monster appears for literally no reason.

Just so we're clear, the monster hit Superman so hard, he landed in the famously arid, oil-filled desert of loving Ireland. Complete with worse accents than Claremont.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Zero_Tactility posted:

It looks like she glued a handkerchief to the bottom hem of her shirt. I can't stop laughing.

Complete with a pubic S-shield/party-down-below crotch arrow

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

anti_strunt posted:

Complete with a pubic S-shield/party-down-below crotch arrow

...aaaaaand we have our new thread title.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm really glad someone is willing to bite the bullet and read Scott Lobdell comics. That dude is the alpha hack. He is like the Thomas Friedman of superhero writers.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I liked some Scott Lobdell stuff in the X-Men 20 years ago, but drat, what a hack he became halfway through the 90's, getting worse and worse the more time went by.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I actually stopped reading comics for a while about five years ago due to financial difficulties, so I missed the whole "New 52" changeover. When I got things cleared up and was back in the black, I naturally headed back to the comics store to see what I'd missed out on. The very first hint I had that things were not going well was seeing Scott Lobdell's name on the cover of a comic. People are *still* giving him work?

Selachian fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 22, 2014

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Selachian posted:

I actually stopped reading comics for a while about five years ago due to financial difficulties, so I missed the whole "New 52" changeover. When I got things cleared up and was back in the black, I naturally headed back to the comics store to see what I'd missed out on. The very first hint I had was that things were not going well was seeing Scott Lobdell's name on the cover of a comic. People are *still* giving him work?

You should go over to the Red Hood & the Outlaws Thread so forums user Dark Tzitzimine can explain how Lobdell is really an unrecognized genius who truly understands what comic fans want.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Selachian posted:

People are *still* giving him work?

Thankfully less and less recently. Superman and Teen Titans have been out of his hands for a few months and are much improved for it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

Remember when some higher-up sent a memo around saying that he "never wanted to see Supergirl's panties again"? Looks like the artists found a way around it by making it panty-time 24/7 and calling it a leotard.
Hopefully he said the same about Mary Marvel.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Stink Terios posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc2-fUf8wBs

Is this up anywhere else? Panders had it pulled.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

TwoPair posted:

H'El on Earth

Every time any author does anything like this sad bit of not-wordplay I hope fervently that I can Google their name for details of their swift, painless death.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
It's an incredible '90s name. Seriously, a weird spelled 'bad word' is easily the most '90s thing ever, next to muscles and giant guns.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

e X posted:

It's an incredible '90s name. Seriously, a weird spelled 'bad word' is easily the most '90s thing ever, next to muscles and giant guns.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I'm increasingly convinced that Darkseid is just searching for the Anti-Life equation as an excuse to take a few moments every now and then to sit on a chair that isn't made of jagged stone and/or on fire.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Thinking themselves smart, the heroes moved the anti-life equation equation to the last place they thought Darkseid would look - a Lay-z Boy store. How wrong they were.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There's something amusing about how Darkseid is the only supervillain like that who ever chills out in people's living rooms. Imagine if the FF came back from the moon and found Doom spread out on their couch and going through episodes of Two and a Half Men off their DVR.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Random Stranger posted:

There's something amusing about how Darkseid is the only supervillain like that who ever chills out in people's living rooms. Imagine if the FF came back from the moon and found Doom spread out on their couch and going through episodes of Two and a Half Men off their DVR.

He might if Valeria asks him to!

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

Is this up anywhere else? Panders had it pulled.

Couldn't find it. However, there's still the Power Point Presentation

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Random Stranger posted:

I think it's part showmanship (nowhere is safe from me, I can be anywhere I want to and there's no way you can stop me) and partly his weird sort of nihilistic disdain for everything. He doesn't give a gently caress about your sense of propriety, if he has something he wants to tell you, he'll be in your living room, using your poo poo.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I think it's part showmanship (nowhere is safe from me, I can be anywhere I want to and there's no way you can stop me) and partly his weird sort of nihilistic disdain for everything. He doesn't give a gently caress about your sense of propriety, if he has something he wants to tell you, he'll be in your living room, using your poo poo.

Darkseid is the ultimate "that guy who said he would crash on your couch for 2 days but ends up staying at your place for months".

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Madkal posted:

Darkseid is the ultimate "that guy who said he would crash on your couch for 2 days but ends up staying at your place for months".

And this despite him having a big jaggy stone castle with lava everywhere. Maybe he's just tired of Desaad bogarting all his beer and Hot Pockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gynovore posted:

And this despite him having a big jaggy stone castle with lava everywhere. Maybe he's just tired of Desaad bogarting all his beer and Hot Pockets.

Darkseid's Shameful Secret: "I don't actually like living on Apokolips all that much, I just think a planet that looks like a metal album is intimidating to enemies"

• Locked thread