Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Avengers 200 by Jim Shooter. A story so bad that even Chris Claremont was shocked at its misogyny. It did so much damage to Carol Danvers that he had to completely reboot her by having her personality and mind removed by Rogue. Here is an article on this atrocity of a storyline. http://carolastrickland.com/comics/msmarvel/

Also here is an added bonus Nightwing and Tarantula have nonconsensual sex but its not rape.
Devin Grayson
Nightwing #53, 71–100, 107–116, Annual #1

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Giedroyc posted:

Avengers 200 is toss, but that's because of the last minute re-write, the rest of Shooter's Avengers run is actually quite good I mean it contains the Korvac saga ffs.

In terms of runs I hate then Dan Jurgens Justice League America #61-77 (1992-1993). Happens right after Giffen/DeMatteis JLA comes to a superb climax and manages to completely loving ruin 3 characters and the entire concept within 3 pages, when Superman shows up and Fire/Ice act like generic school girls in love who immediately dump Max Lord. Then it got even worse (EXTREEEEEEME JUSTICE) until they had to dump the lot and hand it over to Grant Morrison.

Its just that issue is so bad and it completely ruined Carol's character. It has taken a lot of work and a lot of writers to get completely rid of that stink.

Also lets not forget Uncanny X-men 410 - 442. It is the Chuck Austin reign of Terror. It has such stories as Draco, Holy War, and She Lies with Angels. There is so much to say about this title but here are some highlights. Jubilee on skins misspelled grave talking about how much she wished she slept with him. Everything in the Draco. Mutants not being able to get AIDS. The only good thing I can say about it is the redemption of Juggernaut is pretty good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

delfin posted:

Can't believe I haven't been beaten to the end of Thunderbolts Vol. 1.

Thunderbolts #75 tied up a big pile of loose ends at the end of its storyline -- the split teams were reunited, the world was saved, Atlas got his powers back, Dallas Riordan was healed, some members went to prison, others left of their own accord, and Zemo drops a bombshell at the very end: he intends to save the world by conquering it, after all. Now what?

...Now the book loses its entire creative team, abandons the existing character set and storylines, designs the covers to look like Maxim and its ilk with "FOR REAL MEN" on them, and rambles for six issues about an underground fighting league for D-list supervillains.

Not one of Joe Quesada's better ideas. Sales went splat and the book was mercy-killed six issues later.

I blame that awful run not on the writer, but editorial. It was written by John Arcudi and he later went on to do some amazing stuff in B.P.R.D., which is a title that should not be mentioned in this thread.
However, Witchfinder Lost and Gone Forever by Mike Mignola, John Arcudi, and John Severin is pointless and seemed to be there just for John Severin amazing art. It did not seem to have any connection to the larger universe so its really not worth reading.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Suben posted:

Grounded and Superman's lovely attitude in it makes a lot more sense when you realize that JMS is a Ron Paul supporter.

Grounded was a lovely storyline along with most of his other work, but he did say this in 2007

quote:

The entry is accurate. I donated $2K to his campaign, in order to
encourage a more moderate voice on the Iraq war.

Then I discovered that he wanted to overturn Roe vs. Wade and a lot of
hard-won civil rights legislation.

So much for that.

jms

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

E the Shaggy posted:

Read Daredevil and Hawkeye.

The most insane part of Ultimates 3 was the very beginning of it, where the team is discussing how Tony is pretty much shattered after Black Widow betrayed the team WHILE WATCHING THE SEX VIDEO THE TWO OF THEM MADE...IN FRONT OF TONY.

Lets not forget this moment

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I haven't read any Ultimate other than Spider-Man, but this thing gets posted constantly and I don't quite understand why it's a big deal.

All it says to me is that Ultimate Wolverine is a huge dick, it doesn't seem particularly gross or anything like much of the other stuff posted in this thread.

At that point he is not a huge dick. Also during Ultimate 3 Hawkeye was going on and on how his wife and kids were brutally murdered. It was just extremely out of character for both of them and just one problem with that horrible horrible comic.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

smashpro1 posted:

Wasn't Nightcrawler a priest?

No it was an illusion. It was a plot to make Nightcrawler pope and then reveal to the world that the pope is a mutant and then cause the rapture with exploding communion wafers. Thank you very much Chuck Austin.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wanderer posted:

They ran with Nightcrawler joining the priesthood for at least a little while, without/despite Austen's involvement. I remember it was why he broke up with that Cerise chick from Excalibur.

Yes but Austen revealed that he never did join the priesthood, it was an illusion by the Church of Humanity. It was really stupid.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Kalli posted:

There's also Wolfsbane who spent an awful long time as the wet blanked of the group in the original New Mutants series.

That was due to her father being an insane zealot who told her she was going to hell all the time and kept her completely sheltered.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

armitags posted:

From what I read about Tony Bedard's blue beetle run was terrible. It apparently included stuff such as the scarab forcing Jaime to stab Paco in a gruesome way, him smacking Brenda in the face, and abandoning his family for New York. Basically turning the character into every other an angsty teen superheroe book out there.Is there anything else that is bad I missed? As a huge fan of his pre new 52 run it is really depressing to see what has happened to that character.

What? I knew it was bad, but I did not know it was this. I think that his pre new 52 run is one of the best teen titles and really fun. What the hell DC?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

All of that just makes me want to re-read the Clone Saga.

What an awful mess :allears:

Here is an easy way to get the whole thing. Just start from here and get all 11 volumes!
http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Co...+saga+spiderman

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I'm guessing something called "complete" probably shouldn't be in eleven pieces.

What do you mean? It is complete in that it has every issue of the clone saga. It is just so massive that it needs 11 volumes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

It just seems silly to me. "Yeah, I've got The Complete X! No, not the complete Complete X, only the first volume of it."

"Complete" omnibusses like the X-Statix one are probably a bitch to actually produce, though, and I get and understand that. I just think calling something complete when it isn't is weird.

It is like the complete peanuts that is coming out. They are going to release it all, but due to its size it has to be done in chunks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

Yeah seeing Peter and Ben webswigning side by side, in that Mark Bagely artwork is one of the images that just sticks with me as being awesome. Even to this day, seeing two people webswing in one page always makes me smile. Whether it's Spidey and Venom doing it, or Peter and Kaine. I'm looking forward to seeing Spock and Kaine doing it in the upcoming crossover.

I am not sure we will get that since Kaine did kill Doc Ock

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

RevKrule posted:

Brightest Day combined with Fear Itself swore me off event comics for good.

Like both of them combined were so bad that even though I love Hickman and I know Infinity will probably be very very good, I will not get the main book. I refuse to willfully purchase something as terrible as either of those events.

Like most things in this thread, the reason Fear Itself was so bad was due to editorial. It was suppose to just be a crossover between Thor and Captain America, but they decided to make it an EVENT, and we got that poo poo.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I liked the Avengers Academy tie ins of Fear Itself at least, but aside from that I never read any of it.

Do not bother as nothing of importance happens other than Colossus turning into the Juggernaut, but that has been retconed. Everything else that happened was quickly reversed.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Hey, a fellow cultist spotted.

I feel a need to stick up for the clone saga, there's some really good Spider-Stories buried under the heap. Ben Reilly was a fun character, and it seemed like Marvel was trying to do with him what DC had done with Kyle Rayner and Wally West, then they said gently caress-it, and had him melt.

Also, Aunt May's death in that is so incredible, it's an amazing issue.

If it wasn't for the Clone Saga we never would have gotten Scarlet Spider and I do not want to live in that world.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Suben posted:

Didn't just about every arc of that series involve an Evil Sue Storm (except when it didn't and involved an alternate universe Sue Storm)? And then he threw in Psylocke and Sage and alt versions of Kitty and Rogue and ugh.

Note too that the run was so bad that its awfulness permeated outwards like nuclear fallout giving Jeff Parker's run terminal cancer before it ever had a chance. This was also the worst run in a series that also included a Chuck Austen run (which, iirc, was actually fairly readable for ol' Chuck outside of being a dick and killing Sunfire).

Nope Judd Winick killed her. He may have had some sub-par runs but his exiles was amazing and I am willing to forgive a lot due to it. However, I have not read his 52 stuff since I know it will kill all good will.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Thinking about all the comics I read, the Threeboot Legion of Super Heroes leaves a really bad taste in my mouth every time I think about it. The dialogue was terrible, the art was mediocre and kind of generic, and it replaced a much better version. However, my love for the Zeroboot Legion may mean this is just fanboyism. I'm not really sure what the standard opinion is.

That you are wrong. Mark Waid and Barry Kitson are awesome, and they did some great things with the Legion.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

It was violently canceled when its not-usually-comic-reading fanbase revolted against the art change from the soft-edged realism to loving Ramos. Turns out that regular folk actually notice when you completely change the aesthetic of the product they consume.

I am pretty sure they said it would return, but currently most of the characters are in Avengers Arena being destroyed.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I Before E posted:

I had completely forgot about Living Assault Weapons. Man. At least that's what I'm assuming it is, because it can't be the O'Neill series, because that ruled.

Is it Mr. A?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

At least we'll always have gladiators.

Like in the show Spartacus!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

cisneros posted:

It has Noh Varr, it has kinda Kid Loki, it has a Hawkeye. Young Avengers has everything.

Will it soon have a dog that loves pizza?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

He'll be in the next iteration of Pet Avengers.

I just assumed he might be since he moved to LA with Hawkeye.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Speaking of Young Avengers. The first 12 issues and special are pretty good. However, due to the writers other commitments he was unable to continue the title and it left the characters in limbo. So last year out came Avengers: The Children's Crusade. The story made no sense what so ever and completly destroyed some characters. It had delays and everything about it was pointless and awful.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lets not forget that Wiccan is Allan Heinberg self insert and Hulking is his perfect boyfriend.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

What. I never read it but, what.

In a Bendis New Avenger issue its revealed that Hawkeye banged Scarlet Witch. In Children Crusade it was revealed that was not Wanda, but a Doombot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

A really lovely run was the Denny O'Neil / Luke McDonnell run of Iron Man.

Tony's off being drunk and living as a vagrant, Rhodey is stumbling around still learning the armor, a geeky brother / sister pair start a business with Rhodey (I think the sister was named Clytemnestra) and art that sucked like nobody's business. To cap it off I believe Clytemnestra falls in psychotic love with Stark but blames him for getting her brother killed, and of course SHE winds up getting killed in one of the most useless comic book deaths ever.

You mean part of the storyline with Obadiah Stane? A storyline that is considered one of the best Iron Man stories ever.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You know how one of the Vision's big things was how human he is? Byrne says gently caress that he is a toaster, and that is the way that his creator wanted him to be. Ignoring the fact that his first appearance has the famous panel of Vision crying.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 15, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Englehart: Well, funny thing about true love, I decided to really show what a stable relationship would look like in the super hero community by showing Scarlet Witch and Vision interact with not only their children, but their extended family. I've made it clear that they consider Wonder Man to be an uncle and his mother to be the children's grandmoth-

Byrne: A WOMAN loving A ROBOT? THAT'S GROSS! FORGET ALL THE poo poo YOU JUST SAID, THAT poo poo GOES AWAY ISSUE #1 YOU HEAR ME? NOW WHERE IS MY PIZZA PARTY FOR FIXING YOUR AWFUL COMIC?

There's a lot of that type of thing.

You forgot then he turns around and says you know the original Human Torch? He is more than a robot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

Well, Byrne can at least draw.

Did we talk about how he ruined Exiles already?

Byrne is not Claremont.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

If you'd put John Byrne and Chris Claremont working on same comic would they manage to put a single issue out before one would murder another?

No they would murder the reader as their JLA storyline proved.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

triplexpac posted:

I've been reading Runaways for the first time... I'm about 4 issues away from the end, and wow do the wheels fall off fast.

The first arc was really great, but the constantly changing creative teams after that make it too hard to get into a groove.

Shame, cause I really liked the premise. Reminds me of Exiles kind of, a great start building to a lovely ending.

Runaways had three writers. Their was Vaughan which was great, Whendon which was okay, and Moore which I heard was terrible.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gavok posted:

Yeah. I forgot to talk about the mental tics that Way introduced. One was "Pool-O-Vision", which luckily trailed off after a while. The idea being that we see what kind of cartoony madness Deadpool's psyche sees. This started out as a great gag in the Wolverine: Origins story, mainly for seeing Steve Dillon draw Wolverine in a Tex Avery style. Then there was the time he kissed Thunderbolts Black Widow (who was really regular Black Widow in disguise) and told her he loved her while in his eyes she looked like Death. Otherwise, the gimmick never brought anything to the story and felt like a stand-in for humor.

The worst thing was creating the Deadpool inner dialogue. Deadpool's supporting cast became the yellow thought bubble and the white thought bubble. Two non-characters to have dialogue with him while never actually leading to anything. That's why the Posehn/Duggan run is so brilliant. They understand the need for a real supporting cast, but know that people are used to the inner dialogue. That's why they created Agent Preston and had her shoved into Deadpool's mind. There's an actual story in there and a feeling of the voice coming from a sympathetic character.

I have read a bit of the Posehn/Duggan run and its pretty good, but I would say that the best Deadpool has ever been was in Uncanny X-force. Also it seems that the Frank Tieri run was just a set up for his Weapon X series.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Why is Daniel Way given books?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Wolverine: Origin was really big for 2002 Marvel.

Way's Wolverine Origin is not the one from 2002. That was written by Jenkins

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

McSpanky posted:

How many friggin' origins does Wolverine need? I guess he's Marvel's Joker, either zero or >1.

The first Origin was the thing that introduced him as James and the Way shitfest was suppose to fill in the blanks, but instead we got Romulus.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 31, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

It's well worn ground, but the worst for me is Jeph Loeb who got me to entirely quit reading the Ultimate line.

Are you reading Ultimate Spider-man? That comic has always been amazing. The worst runs in Ultimates other than Loeb is all the X-men runs between Vaughn and Woods. These runs introduced awful stupid characters that no one liked. The plots made no sense and also the characters acted completly out of character. There is also plots that went no where and was just poo poo tossed on the wall and never solved.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Madkal posted:

While Bendis' run on UXM was okay, Finch's art was downright ugly so I am going to throw that in there too. Strangely enough UXM never seemed good to me after Millar left (and reading Millar's old issues makes me feel like it wasn't that good to begin with). When you look at the talent involved in UXM it is really baffling how bad to mediocre it all was.

The Vaughn run was pretty good other than the Gambit two parter. Who would have thought that Chuck Austen would be one of the few that gets the character? I really did not mind the Bendis run and the Wolverine and the cave issue is one of the best Ultimate X-men issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

I think Robert Kirkman's run was where I checked out. He's the one who decided Ultimate Nightcrawler would be a colossal homophobe sort of out of the blue (heh) and revealed Ultimate Beast was only slightly crushed to death by falling rubble, wasn't he? It wasn't a gradual thing, either, the downturn was like going over a cliff.

Then again, I don't think I've re-read it since it was published, which must have been nearly ten years ago, so perhaps I'm misremembering it.

Yep Kirkman was the one who did all that. His run was bad, but the one that followed was worse. They decided to let one of Loeb's lackies write it and it was horrible.

• Locked thread