Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Wachter posted:

Finally, there's a memorable sequence, (for all the wrong reasons). Since the Blackest Night zombies were an excuse for the writers to be as cruel as possible, and really put their protagonists through the emotional mangle, it was with a sense of depressing inevitability that noted rapist Dr. Arthur Light showed up to torment his successor.

Whole loving thing makes my skin crawl.

Hey man, you can't go there and only tell half the terribleness of Dr Rapey McRaperson Light in that encounter. You totally left out the stuff with Firestorm.

For those who didn't read it, at the time the current Firestorm is made up of two teens who, due to their mental link, are awkwardly yet tenderly falling for each other. During this event, one of the people who was part of Firestorm in the past but died, comes back as a Black Lantern and somehow merges with the guy of the pair, kicking the girl out of the Firestorm party. Then he uses his powers to go biblical on her, literally. He changes her body into a pillar of salt, basically a statue of herself, killing her. Later, Zombie Doc Light discovers her, and is then found licking the corpse of a teenage girl. That's probably the squickiest thing I've ever read in a mainstream big two comic. Also keep in mind that outside of Dr. Light, all the other Black Lanterns sole MO is to get their victims into a strong state of emotion, to "ripen" them if you will, before eating them. Not undead Light. He just wants to rape girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Suben posted:

Blackest Night was such garbage, goddamn.

Some of the one-offs were pretty cool. And I legit would enjoy a return of Weird Western Tales.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Are there any serious Christian fundamentalist heroes? Now I am curious. Like literally bible toting preachin' Christian.

I can think of one.

Also, regarding that Wolverine panel--how come I'm the only one who notices that Wolverine clearly says "Who" twice in a row, and editing didn't catch it?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

that site has some...interesting religious choices. Like Alcoholics Anonymous.

Also, they got cute and claimed Joker's religion was being Batman's nemesis.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

RevKrule posted:

Are we just doing runs here or can we also do EVENTS!!!!! Because holy poo poo are there a lot of really terrible events out there.

Ooh, I've been meaning to write one up too!

Now, I'm hardly the most knowledgeable guy around here on comics, especially since I'm poor, but I like to keep apace of general superhero goings ons. That said, I do tend to try to catch whatever event stories are about, and read them if possible. You could argue that the first real "event" storyline in comics was way back when FDR got the JSA to go fight fifth columnists in South America, but most people accept that "Crisis on Two Earths" was the first modernly recognizable major story, leading eventually to "Crisis on Infinite Earths", when DC wanted to clean house in the biggest way possible. So clearly they're supposed to know a thing or two about how it's done, right?

The problem then ends up being that to the financial side of things, events make big big bucks, so the more of them the better, and they start happening sooner and sooner, and carry less and less weight. But for a while in the past decade, DC had Geoff Johns reinvigorate the Green Lantern franchise, and use it to spearhead Big Events, while still being comprehensible, and give other creators venues for their own ins into the event. First we had the rise of the Sinestro Corps, with the big battle of Green vs Yellow. It was good. Then they broadened it with the full spectrum Color War. Still decent. Then they introduced the zombies of Blackest Night, detailed earlier in the thread, and not terrible at all, and in a few choice spots, really rewarding. These all blended perfectly together into one tapestry of a story, that while feeling rushed, due to jumping from one event to the next with no break, still worked. The end of Blackest Night, however, lead directly into Brightest Day, which is where the whole thing fell off the tracks.

At the end of Blackest Night, this big powerful "White Entity" comes out, and randomly resurrects a handful of established dead characters for its own reasons. The events of Brightest Day pretended to lead into this big plan to save the world. Except the ones chosen to do the work had no idea what they were doing and no plans on how to do it, and pretty obviously neither did Geoff Johns. I think the problem was that Flashpoint, the next big event, which was established as going to be a big "RESET" button on the universe, was set to start pretty much at the same time that this was set to end, and also made by Geoff Johns. Basically that means that Johns didn't have to have an ending, just a stopping point for this story, because it couldn't continue past that point. The directionless nature of the story very painfully bleeds into the context of the event itself. There are literally moments where characters ask each other what they're doing, and realize that they have no idea. It's sloppy and boring to have to have characters ask for their motivation in story, but when they do that and there is no motivation, it just results in some of the worst writing I've seen in comics. Many of the comics would just meander like they were the "B" plot to something more exciting going on in the same issues, when everything else going on was doing the same thing. Don't get me wrong, there were some small bits that I enjoyed (like the JLI subplots, for instance), but other than that, it just ends up coming across as coasting until Flashpoint started. It's like some sort of filler event.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Suben posted:

So there is/was a large thread on 4chan's comic board about how awful Byrne is with a lot of creepy-rear end poo poo he's written. Anyway going by something someone mentioned in that thread... John Byrne did an OMAC miniseries where OMAC went around saving human villages in exchange for being able to have sex with their underage teenage girls? :psyduck:

I mean if that's the case I think we've found The Worst Run.

We're uh, we're just going to ignore this part of the discussion? :staredog:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Yeah, I've watched the special features. Austen talks about an interview he had done and the reporter asked "You're the writer of Nightcrawler, tell us something no one else knows!" and he just blurted out "You know how Nightcrawler has two fingers? Well, he has two of something else too!"

Toes. :colbert:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Y'know, if Alan Moore rewrote The Killing Joke today, I'd expect an alien fear monster.

But Moore already used an alien fear monster in a different book that DC can't handle properly.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Considering the cover art you threw up there (insert Mad Magazine joke here), I'd say they were probably more inspired by Battle Royale, a story that preceeds Hunger Games by many years and closer resembles the plot of AA. The font for the logo to the book even resembles the logo for the Battle Royale franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Well the Question could do this if he was anything like the Question anyone actually likes but instead he's stuck as Some Dude A Wizard Cursed and can't be tasked to do anything at all.

Maybe those guys who's job it is to figure out and protect the timeline, Booster Gold and his sister and Future Son could handle it? Wait no, he gave up his memories so the Writers could revert him back to the Pre-Ted boring unfunny Booster.

Someone investigating the totally mismanaged new 52 universe would make for a great reboot event comic. Say, they follow the threads, then metaphorically tug the sweater somehow, making it all unravel and have to be reorganized into something that makes sense and is a little less self-destructive...

• Locked thread