Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Had a goal disallowed in one game because of a distinct kicking motion. The stick went through the teammate's leg and the last point of contact for thr puck was his skate, hence no goal.

Also just had the opposing goalie take a delay of game penalty for being pushed out of the crease and into the area outside the trapezoid.

Good times with NHL 14.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I wish I'd captured a video of it at the time, but while playing Pittsburgh in the playoffs one year Vokoun straight up threw the puck into his own net: awesome.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I wish this game would allow you to carry extra players on your NHL roster after the trade deadline. The way I play it now, I'll cheat and turn off waivers temporarily to move a guy up or down if I want another player to play if there's a battle for the last couple roster spots going into the playoffs. That at least gives the sensation of having more than 23 with the big club.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
Be a gm mode is pretty fun' but after a few years its way too easy because the computer teams all fall apart and young players never develop into anything.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Number Two Stunna posted:

young players never develop into anything.

This pissed me off to no end after previous years where you could find 19 year olds who would be pushing 90 overall in their prime in free agency.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Anybody on PS3 ever have a problem where the system locks up completely after a touchup on a delayed penalty? Experienced it twice tonight.

On a similar note, this game needs the ability to save in-game.

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008
Decided to do a new Live the Life with updated rosters.

Finished the season with the Stanley Cup, the Calder, The Richard, the Hart, the Conn Smythe, and the Lindsay award. That season I was on a 1 year contract for 850k.

The team I led to the cup offered 1 year for 700k.

The best offer I got was 1 year in Calgary for 815k.

Good math there, EA.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's based on your overall rating. Turn your difficulty up and it won't be so ridiculously off.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
play better defense

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008
Nah, it's just a poorly implemented feature of the game.

Playing on Superstar, started as a 73 OVR Playmaker I think and have it up to 84. Led the NHL in +/-, was 2nd in takeaways, was top10 in hits, and managed to avoid leading the team in turnovers (don't remember where that stat ended up though, TBH). Pretty much every game I was an A/A/A with the occasional B thrown in there.

I sim the first 2 periods of every game and then finish the 3rd/OT. If my team is up by 3+goals after the 2nd period I'll let it finish the simulation.

Same old song and dance since Be A Pro was introduced. I figured with the "Life the Life" revamp they would've addressed it, but I should've remembered this is EA we are talking about here.

After NHL10 I'm just grateful I don't have to go into the menu screen and switch controller sides after every line change.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

RazorDX posted:

Nah, it's just a poorly implemented feature of the game.

Playing on Superstar, started as a 73 OVR Playmaker I think and have it up to 84. Led the NHL in +/-, was 2nd in takeaways, was top10 in hits, and managed to avoid leading the team in turnovers (don't remember where that stat ended up though, TBH). Pretty much every game I was an A/A/A with the occasional B thrown in there.

I sim the first 2 periods of every game and then finish the 3rd/OT. If my team is up by 3+goals after the 2nd period I'll let it finish the simulation.

Same old song and dance since Be A Pro was introduced. I figured with the "Life the Life" revamp they would've addressed it, but I should've remembered this is EA we are talking about here.

After NHL10 I'm just grateful I don't have to go into the menu screen and switch controller sides after every line change.

There's a lot of players in the game that are better than 84 overall, so the game doesn't acknowledge that you're one of the best players in the league. When you get into the 90's, then you start getting paid. I play by playing one game and simulating 5, and find it seems to go more seamlessly that way because then your stats aren't obscenely better than they would be if you were just simulating every game.

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008
I'm not scratching my head because my player, draped in hardware from the awards ceremony, didn't get a big payday; I'm scratching my head because a player with a positive potential rating got a lower contract amount. I thought it only went backwards once the player potential rating caps and the OVR starts going down instead of up.

I'm curious what'll happen next contract since it's a 1yr. My first playthrough I came off of a .950m 3 year deal and into a $8.5m 1 year deal.

I'll still be dragging my rear end to the game store in September for my yearly broken game purchase though. I keep telling myself the bugs add character.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, backwards doesn't make any sense. My favorite glitch I had was starting in the minors with Halifax as a RW. I think my player was 16, and Drouin and MacKinnon were 17. I won the MVP award 2 years in a row, and quickly passed Drouin and MacKinnon in overall despite being younger. I got drafted 3rd overall, which seemed natural. Those two got promoted to the NHL after their 18 year old season IIRC, and I figured I would get the same treatment after a season at Halifax without them. I didn't, and somehow got pushed back into playing in the major juniors for a 4th season despite being the best overall RW on the Avs roster. I simulated that whole drat season in anger.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/193821004

God I hope that 15 allows for longer replays (lol). This one gave me a bunch of useless stuff away from the puck, and cut the flipping :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'm playing Game 3, ECSF vs New Jersey, and I swear I just heard Bill Clement call the Devils the 2011 Stanley Cup Champs, "the fourth in their history".

In which universe did that occur? I sometimes see new Be a GMs in subsequent NHL games as a continuation of what I did before spiritually, but drat.

e- Was one of the programmers of this game a Dan Ellis fan? I'm playing in the Calder Cup Final as Springfield against Ellis' Texas Stars and he's a brick wall single-handedly carrying a trash fire of a team to a title. He's harder to beat than all of the NHL goalies. :psyduck:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 20, 2014

• Locked thread