Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Joink posted:

That dive trip in the newest trailer was pretty awesome. It'll be my new clear the slot move

This combined with the new physics should be pretty great for RGR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texas A. Wreckus
Aug 20, 2006

Welcome to the OVal Office
The thing that's annoying me in these videos is hearing the same exact sound effects since like 09 in terms of guyyellingoffsides.wav and passpasspass.wav in the background.

Also I still hear good ol Gary and Bill.

But I guess these gripes go along with everyone else's tuner update/roster update complaints.

It just sucks to see like what they do with game presentation in NCAA Football compared to NHL (different development sects I know). Not that I'd wanna hear Doc and Edzo send it down to Pierre, but couldn't they do something with NBC to improve?

Texas A. Wreckus
Aug 20, 2006

Welcome to the OVal Office
Also, demo is out Tuesday. Happy Trails NHL 13.

http://www.easports.com/nhl/news-up...fb-demo-release

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011
The main problem with NHL, is its the same features of the past 4 years. They remove some, and re-add some. They FINALLY are updating be a pro, but its still going to be the exact same thing it always was. Oh you answer questions now? cool. Wheres our Draft Combine (Madden used to make you lift weights, run a 40, and do other things), or maybe give us something to spend this money on. What about hiring an agent and having a different one helps influence your contract, and your fan's opinion. There are just so many options for BAP, that they dont do enough to make it interesting.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
It would be awesome if they added practices where (in the start) would learn basic hockey tactics that would become more advanced as you go. Make them optional, and it could affect your standings with the organization and fans if you are a borderline player, or are underachieving.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I think basic practices and stuff would get tedious for people who have been playing a while. Maybe a team-specific strategy practice where you learn a set play the team uses, where using it in-game gives a bonus with the team/coach.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
All I need in Be A Pro is stuff like "Get arrested for DUI" and "Challenge member of press to fight in a barn"

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

BAP is like a single player MMO with lots of grinding and really stupid randomly-generated quests. I would probably actually enjoy it if the AI were sensible, though, which it is still not.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

EASports.com CSS never works for me. Like ever. What the hell.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
My body is ready, I just wish it was September already. (my bday is in september wee d3 also weeee)

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

So we should get player ratings real soon right?

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

i am not so sure posted:

So we should get player ratings real soon right?

I miss the old days, back when EA was not afraid to hurt people's feelings and straight up rated players as 0 overall.

No 60 overall minimums, just straight up "this guy sucks, and you might legitimately be able to replace them if you can skate".

I don't really want the zeroes to come back, but it would be nice if every player in the big leagues wasn't at least an 80.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I haven't bought an NHL game since NHL 10. I think I'll just skip this one and wait for the next gen one next year...which will of course strip a lot of core features out so they can use the next generation to slowly build back to something. The reality (that I perceive anyways) of the situation is that this console generation went longer than anyone expected.

I'm fully onboard with everyone else bitching about having the same lovely openings though. The same canned stanley cup celebration they've had for basically a decade (dating back to 2004 or so). It's loving infuriating because its the little things that help build a fun/realistic atmosphere to the game and for diehard fans it just seems and probably is loving lazy. A lot of the base level issues that continue to crop up year after year I'm sure are practically hard coded in to the loving engine so an entirely new from the ground up engine rebuild would be useful and obviously isn't happening this year. I may consider picking this up if there is a sale early on in the game but I'll be honest when I say that I kind of dislike playing Be A Pro. I like playing online just 1 vs 1.

Seriously though. I think the Stanley Cup celebration has been the same since NHL 03.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

To me NHL 13 has been the smallest improvement in the series since the skill stick era began. It looks amazing when you just start playing, but the seams start to show fast and then it's mostly a frustrating fest of half ready features. Almost everything is somewhat broken, worst are skating and turning from zero speed, boardplay, slot area stickiness and the AI that they again listed as one of the top new features. They lifted the AI form fifa saying that now every player knows every others position on ice. Too bad they forgot to program in all the behaviour based on that information. I like the goalies ok thought.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

In case you never go into Armchair QB. Here is the EASHL thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3565770

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Hockles posted:

In case you never go into Armchair QB. Here is the EASHL thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3565770

Should probably go there just to check out Pleads' recap video.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Any good trade in deals for nhl13??

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011
Think you just missed it. Price drop happened on NHL already, so that usually drops it a ton.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Demo comes out later today... Time to sit and refresh marketplace all day

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Demo is out, and holy crap, all of the fights! I've played one match and so far, I like it a lot. It's borkalicious

Edit: and you can celebrate when you win fights! :thurman:

Anders fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 20, 2013

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Any good trade in deals for nhl13??

I got lucky and traded in my games at some big bonus weekend. Traded around 9 old games I'll never play, got NHL + a $20 Steam gift card.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Gave the demo a quick shot before coming in to work, first impressions:

Cons
  • Slow speed skating is janky as poo poo
  • The default camera does not follow point passes at all
  • Goalies still fall on their asses as a default save
  • Same. loving. Animations.
  • Passing felt inaccurate (or I'm just very rusty, could be that)

Pros
  • Off the opening faceoff, I skated in offside with Toews and let a shot go at the net after the whistle. Chara immediately charged at him and they dropped gloves. The new fighting is different, which is something considering it's been the same for the last hojillion years. Also I won :smuggo: Forgot to celly though
  • Chara's schmuck black-eye persisted through the game
  • Hits look pretty good. Bumping and stuff seems to make more sense but when you nail a guy he leaves his feet
  • I went all Boston on Toronto on Boston and scored twice in the last minute (completing Hossa's hatty) and then Toews went dirty bar-down in OT

I'm assuming they can and will adjust the slow speed skating and camera. Sucks that goalies continue to blow, and holy Christ I cannot wait for nex-gen where they will maybe make a new animation or two for once.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Pleads posted:

Cons
[list]
[*]Slow speed skating is janky as poo poo

I'm not going to suffer another year of yanky skating, glitchy mechanics and moron AI. Still going to test the demo when it comes available for live silver to be sure.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

I'm 99% sure they'll speed up the game at launch, or at least soon after. If you mostly play offline it's only a slider setting away anyway

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I think he meant that the mechanics when skating on slow speeds are bad like they are on 13, not the game or skating speed itself.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yeah, there continues to be no pivoting in the NHL franchise universe, if you are facing one direction at a stand-still and want to go the other direction you have to turn like a fuckin tank instead of opening up your legs and just quickly turning.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
just tell me my pokecheck is ok, just tell me its ok

e: skating is definitely a lot more fluid in this than 13. it's not perfect but it is better - especially the new l-trigger response.

de: poke check looks like it has less of an auto intercept now, don't see many pucks going through sticks yet if it's aimed correctly.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 20, 2013

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
you can hit after the whistles again, sold.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
shot blocking appears nerfed but that could just be superstar computer accuracy

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Soft Shell Crab posted:

I'm not going to suffer another year of yanky skating, glitchy mechanics and moron AI. Still going to test the demo when it comes available for live silver to be sure.

if you can stomach xbox live's garbage interface just make a new profile and decline gold; it'll offer you a free month if you add a payment method (although if you choose paypal it expects you to input your paypal user & pw which doesn't seem particularly secure)

edit: if you do this you might as well download both of the dead rising games that are free to gold members this month, they'll stay on your hdd even after you cancel the free month

Jack_tripper fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 20, 2013

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that if I get suddedn urge to check the game out.

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...
I annoyingly defended 13's demo, but this game just isn't that great. I don't think I'll be buying it, and I've gotten every NHL game since 09.

Pivoting and skating is a lot smoother but there are more annoyances. The biggest issue with the pivots now is that you have to fully commit to doing it. If you change your mind in a split second and don't want to pivot anymore, your player just spins around. So annoying. Everything about this game is fast, and it comes across as a little arcadey and unrealistic.

Fighting is easily my most hated aspect of watching hockey, and I think they overdid it. Not every time I'm in the crease does there have to be that same clinch animation and cutscene. This new "enforcer engine" would be fine if fighting in these games actually mattered, but they honestly don't. The game plays exactly the same. I have a feeling playing online in this game is just going to be a total chore. I also haven't figured out how to actually fight, so I haven't landed a single punch. Maybe it's tied to Auto Zoom or something, but fighting needs its own camera.

That said, there are some things that I like. I think the AI has improved obviously, and there have been a lot of new scoring chances that have opened up. And I actually scored on the backdoor.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
hitting feels so much better, less clumsy and more natural. the first time I crushed someone into the boards after the whistle and got challenged to a fight by his teammate was awesome; last year it was either the robots powered down after the whistle or they went into permashove mode

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Ps3 demo is available

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.
Welp, just got a 180-footer scored on me. Good job Crawford.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Robo-Pope posted:

Welp, just got a 180-footer scored on me. Good job Crawford.
Crawford is a hybrid, right? Cause in NHL13 the hybrid goaltenders seem to have an AI issue that makes them put in redline floaters all the loving time.

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...
I think I've fought more as Toews than Toews has had fights in his entire career. Random clean hits also take more precedent than 5 minute boarding penalties when trying to "send a message".

This game is annoying. I want instant replays back.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

BrokenCycle posted:

Wait, instant replays are gone?

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Bradf0rd posted:

Wait, instant replays are gone?

They're removed for the demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

BrokenCycle posted:

I think I've fought more as Toews than Toews has had fights in his entire career. Random clean hits also take more precedent than 5 minute boarding penalties when trying to "send a message".

Yeah, they went a bit overboard trying to show off the scrums after the whistle and the new fighting system. No, Jonathan Toews is not going to fight after a clean hit to free up the puck in the offensive zone. He is going to take the puck and pass it to Kane wide open in front of the net.

• Locked thread