Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vargs posted:

There isn't really any reason to slowly mine ice blocks. If you want more money than you'll ever need, buy a build block from the shop, fly out in some random direction, and check your navigation page every now and then until you find an empty randomly generated space station. Put the build block on the station, use it, hold down the advanced build mode key, check the box that puts it in removal mode, and set the size to 10x10x10. Then just spam the poo poo out of right click everywhere while holding down the advanced mode button, prioritizing glass. You'll have millions of credits in seconds.

There's a ship blueprint on the website called the infinity: http://star-made.org/node/578

It's a relatively cheap mining ship and is it actually much faster than a using a build block.
If you absolutely need to evaporate a planet, check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Can anyone confirm some research regarding the Dis-Integrator explosive blocks? Based on crashing my own (shielded) ship into clusters of bombs of varying sizes, they're completely ineffective below a certain cluster size and don't do any damage whatsoever. However, if the clump of bombs is above a certain size they ignore shields and are hilariously effective at wrecking ships. I'd like to know how ship size and shield strength relates to bomb effectiveness. The ship in my tests had a shield strength of 12000 and was utterly destroyed after hitting a 3x3 group of bombs at 75 m/s

In any case, go ahead and build lots of enormous bomb-laden ramships on the public servers. I think it's possible to use docking nodes to make a ship that carries and launches several unmanned mines without necessarily killing you.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Schwarzwald posted:

There's a ship blueprint on the website called the infinity: http://star-made.org/node/578

It's a relatively cheap mining ship and is it actually much faster than a using a build block.
If you absolutely need to evaporate a planet, check it out.

It's fairly easy to make something faster than a build block. At the very least using salvagers won't give you carpal tunnel. Never mind that the build block thing is almost certainly an exploit that'll get patched out at some point.

Since zennik gave me the details to access and host on a better server, i'm going to shut the one i'm hosting down and try to figure out which files are needed to transfer over to ensure no one loses their progress. Figured i'd post a heads up here since people were wondering why it was down the last time I rebooted it. I'll post the address once I figure out which of these folders and files needs to be transferred to keep the server from self destructing.

Edit: Whelp. I guess giving a heads up didn't help at all. :v:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 4, 2013

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Ok so i joined the server in the OP and after about a minute i was booted out unceremoniously with some weird error, and now it won't let me back in to any server. What just happened?

e: i am dumb idiot who can't read posts, leaving this here for posterity

something fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Aug 4, 2013

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
I forgot to save my blueprint because I'm a big dumb idiot who smells and also I didn't know how.

Rabidsamba
Sep 1, 2011
Not sure if anyone else realized it yet, but by using 2 Salvage computers or any of the other central computer blocks, you can place 2 laser blocks or what have you right next to each other and keep them separate, allowing for more complex designs.

Basically if you alternate which computer is in control of the lasers, then bind one of those computers to your 1 key and the other to the 2 key, you can just mash 1 and 2 repeatedly to get a solid block of lasers instead of the checkerboard most people have.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I wonder if there's some way to slave multiple Salvage Computers to a single unit?

Also can you use the bomb blocks to rig minefields?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rabidsamba posted:

Not sure if anyone else realized it yet, but by using 2 Salvage computers or any of the other central computer blocks, you can place 2 laser blocks or what have you right next to each other and keep them separate, allowing for more complex designs.

Basically if you alternate which computer is in control of the lasers, then bind one of those computers to your 1 key and the other to the 2 key, you can just mash 1 and 2 repeatedly to get a solid block of lasers instead of the checkerboard most people have.

If you want to take dumb amounts of time just rig all lasers to all salvage computers.

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
How do you steal the ship of a rival faction? And how do you dock and dock turrets?

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it
When we get the new goon server it might be fun to have two factions like Goon Red and Goon blue with colour themed ships or something... Just to give us some... Challenge?

I would like to keep the blueprints off however as I think it will encourage people to design their own instead of ending up with a server full of star destroyers.

A few things I would love to see in the future:
A proper 3rd person interface
A better interface (the inv panels are huge yet the orientation bit is tiny)
Inventory sorting
Some kind of settable ejection point for the ship core so if it is in the bottom of the ship you don't get out under the ship.
Adding friends

That's all I got right now.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
One of the best things to do for a challenge is take good ships and let the pirates use them. The pirates tend to be better shots than the average player, or at least a player who's not using a dedicated gunner.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

One of the best things to do for a challenge is take good ships and let the pirates use them. The pirates tend to be better shots than the average player, or at least a player who's not using a dedicated gunner.

While I agree completely, i don't think pirates are prevalent enough to be more than an annoyance to a load of goons. That said, finding a super star destroyer heading towards you would an awesome raid boss type experience.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Admins can spawn more pirates in, including massive raids of 'em.

edit: Also, carrier ships are great to give to pirates, as you have the carrier and however many fighters it has to deal with for each pirate spawn.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

edit: Also, carrier ships are great to give to pirates, as you have the carrier and however many fighters it has to deal with for each pirate spawn.

Ok well that does sound awesome.

Anyone know when the other goon server is going up? or has our normal one just crashed?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

eviljimmy posted:

Ok well that does sound awesome.

Anyone know when the other goon server is going up? or has our normal one just crashed?

I'm still transferring it. After a bit of examination, I realized that the required server files are spread over multiple folders, so there was no easy way to transfer everything over without it being a pain. Unfortunately, by the time I realized that it was about 5AM, so I decided to get some rest before finishing up with the transfer.

At this point i'm just going to dump the entire Starmade folder onto the server provided, along with the launcher. Otherwise I can't guarantee that things like blueprints and server settings will be consistent. Once I can get onto it to upload the files it should go up.

Edit: Uploading the files now. Says it'll take about an hour. Probably due to all the objects that were generated via sector exploration.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 4, 2013

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

Archonex posted:

I'm still transferring it. After a bit of examination, I realized that the required server files are spread over multiple folders, so there was no easy way to transfer everything over without it being a pain. Unfortunately, by the time I realized that it was about 5AM, so I decided to get some rest before finishing up with the transfer.

At this point i'm just going to dump the entire Starmade folder onto the server provided, along with the launcher. Otherwise I can't guarantee that things like blueprints and server settings will be consistent. Once I can get onto it to upload the files it should go up.

Hurry man...I need my fix :negative:

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Archonex posted:

Thanks for running the server by the way, I'm too lazy to run one myself, but I've definitely had a lot of fun on yours

Archonex
May 2, 2012

New server is up at 8.22.12.152:4242.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

How do you go about spawning pirates?

Now that the server should hopefully be a bit more stable, perhaps i'll invite a pirate controlled Unicron to come check out our homeworld. I'm sure some insane individual has made something like that so far. :getin:

Edit: Goddamnit. Somehow I double posted. Oh well, i'll make the best of it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 4, 2013

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I just realized that with the turret docks, we can totally make a Voltron-like giant robot that splits into pieces, each piloted by a different person.

elcannon
Jun 24, 2009
http://www.starmadewiki.com/wiki/Console_Commands
has a couple ways to do it, I think /initiate_wave is the best way probably since it has a timer attached to it, but when I was playing around with it it would only spawn a maximum of five per wave. You can also spawn AI-ships for any faction from any of the ships of the catalog. Since the server was down this morning I spent a while just spawning a bunch of opposing ships and flying around in the middle of an AI space battle.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Machai posted:

I just realized that with the turret docks, we can totally make a Voltron-like giant robot that splits into pieces, each piloted by a different person.

We need this. Now.

We can test it on the goon server, then import it to c3w and wreak havoc.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

A request for you guys:

Give me feedback on server performance. If this box isn't up to snuff, I have another one I can commission into service on fairly short notice.
I know from a networking/bandwidth standpoint we won't have any bottlenecks, but this server also runs a few Garry's Mod servers, and we may need to run this separate.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Archonex posted:

How do you go about spawning pirates?

Now that the server should hopefully be a bit more stable, perhaps i'll invite a pirate controlled Unicron to come check out our homeworld. I'm sure some insane individual has made something like that so far. :getin:

Edit: Goddamnit. Somehow I double posted. Oh well, i'll make the best of it.

http://star-made.org/content/admin-commands

There's a lot of admin commands for this. Of note are the spawn_mobs_line and initiate_wave.

In the server cfg you can adjust the Simulation_Spawn_Delay downwards to make pirates and trade ships much more frequent.

edit: If you make it so the pirates only have capital ships and carriers with fighters available to them and turn down the spawn timer space can get very dangerous/fun fast. I think I'll hop on soon and make some pirate ships.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 4, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Is there a general progression in this game? So far I've just been making increasingly powerful salvage arrays but at some point am I going to want to look for certain materials to make better gear?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is there a general progression in this game? So far I've just been making increasingly powerful salvage arrays but at some point am I going to want to look for certain materials to make better gear?

There's hardened hulls so far. It still is just a proof of concept, so I think the upgrades and stuff will come once things like gravity are hammered out.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

Is there a way to increase the shop stock of stuff? I am trying to build a space penis ship and everywhere is sold out of Hardened Black Hull :saddowns:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
What I'm finding really really impressive is that even though this is proof of concept alpha software it's still fun as gently caress. I'm going to give them money and be waiting for more game with anticipation.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

eviljimmy posted:

Is there a way to increase the shop stock of stuff? I am trying to build a space penis ship and everywhere is sold out of Hardened Black Hull :saddowns:

Make a block of like 100 hull, save it, buy copies of that.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
2500 salvage cannons in a 5x5 staggered but solid array is fuckloads of fun. I routed them all throughout the hull of my ship and filled the cavity with hardened hull.

It can punch right through a station in under a second. It devours asteroids in almost no time at all too.

Time to fit 2k antimatter arrays to this thing.

Darth Sidious
Jan 9, 2011

My Force is Bigger Than Yours!
What mumble are you guys using?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

nightwisher posted:

2500 salvage cannons in a 5x5 staggered but solid array is fuckloads of fun. I routed them all throughout the hull of my ship and filled the cavity with hardened hull.

It can punch right through a station in under a second. It devours asteroids in almost no time at all too
I want to make that, but in the shape of a vacuum cleaner.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
This game is basically Blockade Runner, except Blockade Runner seems to be lagging in the development cycle.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Darth Sidious posted:

What mumble are you guys using?

mumble.analpoundtownandassociates.com
port 4242

Archonex
May 2, 2012

How far along are the mod capabilities for this game? I see a tab, but I don't see much in the way of support listed on the site so far.

I kind of want to do a Minecraft-esque "NPC town" mod, and work prefab and catalog functionality in for pirates, letting them build new stations and ships. It'd sure as hell spice up "explored" areas on the server. Though I have no idea if it's doable yet.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Archonex posted:

How far along are the mod capabilities for this game? I see a tab, but I don't see much in the way of support listed on the site so far.

I kind of want to do a Minecraft-esque "NPC town" mod, and work prefab and catalog functionality in for pirates, letting them build new stations and ships. It'd sure as hell spice up "explored" areas on the server. Though I have no idea if it's doable yet.

A complete pirate overhaul that creates a pirate faction home that they launch assaults from, and the ability for pirates to take over the neutral naturally-generated stations would be amazing.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Mods aren't very far at all. The dev has stated he's not going to do anything as far as supporting it at all until after he's done finishing the game to some degree. The most mods I've seen is adding more colored hull blocks to the game.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Hows the goon server? I've only been screwing around in the single player for abit. I kind of want to work on a big station or something. What's everyone working on?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

BERGfu posted:

Hows the goon server? I've only been screwing around in the single player for abit. I kind of want to work on a big station or something. What's everyone working on?

We're working on perfecting ships to import to other servers for raiding, and also maybe building a Voltron ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BERGfu posted:

I've been building various ships and a station to keep them at. Right now I have some docks set up to leave my ships safely at and I figured out how to make a station rail system so I'm not dog paddling through space at -12 miles an hour to get from ship to ship.

The poo poo you can pull off in this game is absolutely baffling. Though I'm starting to have horrible ideas for ways to enhance goon raids. I'm wondering if the rail system could be used in a thing like a gigantic station-sized ship to get goons back and forth between the turrets and fighters. As much as we've joked about having a planet ship to poo poo on pub servers with I think it might actually be possible.

• Locked thread