Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it

Imagine a cross between Minecraft and Eve online that is FREE and AVAILABLE RIGHT THE gently caress NOW. Now clean up the drool in your neckbeard, get a new pack of cheetos and download it from HERE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt_DS10OGho

:siren::siren::siren:As of 11.8.13 there is a new server (see below). The old server is up for another 24 hours to allow people to port poo poo over. NEW START PEOPLE:siren::siren::siren:

Archonex Zennik has been kind enough to set up a goon server: starmade.analpoundtownandassociates.com:4242
There is also a server full of pubbies that goons are rushing here: c3w.servegame.com:4242
The pubbie server seems to be down quite a bit though.

:siren::siren:IF THE GOON SERVER GOES DOWN, SPAM ZENNIK WITH PRIVATE MESSAGES:siren::siren:

He has also asked if I can get people to go here and upvote the server.

There is now also a Mumble so you can feel closer to the fat guys who you make computer spaceships with: mumble.analpoundtownandassociates.com port 4242

High res text pack: DOWNLOAD HERE MIRROR HERE

Features

Explore: Explore space generated in real time around you

Design: design you own ship or space station.

Customize: create customized weapons, harvesting elements, shields and docking stations for your ship. Combine elements to groups to make your modules even more powerful.

Multiplayer: full multi player: share control of your ship or design a ship together

Destroy: destroy your enemies with your powerful weapons or just infiltrate an enemy ship. There already is a big arsenal of destructive modules: Missiles (normal, heat seeking and target chasing), Lasers, and Explosive modules that detonate on impact

Salvage: salvage the ships of your fallen enemies to gain credits

Physics: fully integrated modern physics engine for real box-on-box collisions

Stealth: use radar jamming and cloaking modules for a surprise attack.

Multiplatform: runs on windows, mac and linux

Share: save, import & export your own ships as blueprints. You can upload your blueprints to any multi player server

AI: fight your own creations alone or in coop mode

Tutorial: interactive tutorial to learn the basics

The whole thing is in Alpha at the moment but seems pretty polished and fun. Website is HERE.

Archonex posted:

So some tips for new players and old ones.

You can ride in other player's spaceships safely. At our current max speed settings, when they enter a new solar system you'll get deysnced into space. However, you can man a player's subsystems. This keeps them from falling out. Apparently, this also includes secondary cockpits. Which means if a player wires up a turret with a cockpit control, you can literally play as a gunner for him. This also is a good way to get newbies to the homeworld when they're screaming about how to join the faction.

The faction is currently open invite. If we have trouble with people griefing the server or being poo poo-heads, i'll set it back to the traditional "send an invite request to get in" method. Until then anyone can join it.

Our planet's coordinates are listed in the faction tab. Just hit I, check the faction tab, and then look at your faction (It's in another tab within the faction tab.) for details on the homeworld coordinates.[/b]

Anything on the planet is technically invincible. I set the purple planet so that it cannot take actual damage from anything. At the moment, any faction member can remove stuff by manually harvesting it on foot. So don't worry about crashing your ship into the planet. The ship may take damage if you ram into it, but you won't kick up a massive storm of debris like that shipwrecked salvager in the picture below did.

Planets have gravity wells. Make sure your ship can escape them. There's already a few ships on the Goon planet that don't have the thrust to escape the planet's gravity. Before you try to land on the surface, make sure you can get out. If not, there's usually a supply of surplus thrusters you can slap onto your ship in storage in the ground level of the base. This is why if you build a giant fuckoff ship like the one up above, that you had better be sure it has an equally large number of giant fuckoff clustered thruster modules. Otherwise you're going to plow into the planet at mach 7, probably killing anyone other than yourself on board and possibly heavily damaging your ship until you can scavenge supplies on the planet to repair it.

On the plus side, as I mentioned up above, so far it does appear that gravity wells can be extended (albeit at a weakened rate of pull) if you build upwards from the planet. So making orbital drydocks is actually a thing in this game. As you can see in my screenshot, we've already made a space elevator to try and accommodate for this.

Factory Construction/Usage Tutorial:

I know how to do this, but don't have time to write it all up yet. Just added this part in, so once I get a free moment i'll update this post to show you how you can mass produce items/parts/blocks for insanely large (or just small) construction ideas. It's remarkably easy, and reminds me of some of the factory mods from minecraft, albeit much more automated.

Fun Ship Building/Griefing Stuff

If I understand the game mechanics and physics properly, it should be possible to make an insanely destructive torpedo carrier. More a fun thing I discovered than anything else, but if you get a bunch of the detonate-on-ram blocks it should be possible to create a ship with insanely destructive "manned torpedoes". I'm working on building an easy and quick to use system for this right now, but just to run down the mechanics of how it works for anyone else who wants to try:

How you do this is that you first create a "carrier" ship (So literally a carrier.) that has docking bays attached to it. For the sake of simplicity and safety, it may be a good idea to have an underslung carrier bay with docking modules inside. Be sure to have at least four or five docking areas for smaller fighter sized ships available.

The actual operating section of this ship (for the crew, not the gullible bastards heroic sacrifices) should have a medbay in it with a plex respawner. This respawner must be protected at all costs, just like the engines and power supply must be. If one or the other go down, you may be trapped in an unfamiliar section of space. I recommend adding a large power core that is made out of nothing but shields and power blocks. With enough shields most NPC's and PC's won't be able to kill you before you either escape or destroy them with your nukes. Slap a few automated turrets on the thing if you want personal defenses and want to min-max the thing.

Now create a simple small ship in the form of a missile using hull blocks. This is mostly to get the shape of it right, since doing it with detonator blocks first would probably be much more expensive. Then, replace the front hull (Or all of it if you want a ridiculous nuke sized explosion that'll probably tear ships apart. Need to check how good the ramming blocks are first. That's the only potential flaw in this, but youtube infers they're pretty ridiculous.) section with stacked, touching ramming blocks. Then, add a large number of thrust modules thrust modules (5x5 should be enough no matter what.) where the thrusters would be on the missile, with an equally large number of power suppliers behind it between the hull and the thrusters. Be sure the core is seated towards this section so that it isn't accidentally destroyed if someone scores a lucky hit on your ship. Slap some guns on it if you want to try and reduce shields beforehand. You can always "power slide" to the left or right, letting your ship make contact on the sides to trigger detonation, since the game has pseudo-gravityless physics working.

Now, catalog both ships. You want to catalog your carrier so you can build it on any server/if it gets destroyed, and your manned torpedoes because...Well, they ain't comin' back to the ship once they launch.

Once you've done that go to a store and buy as many "manned torpedoes" as you can dock in your carrier. Dock them in your ship, and get your friends to ride along in your ship with you to whatever it is you want to crater the gently caress out of. If they're space rich like you are, have them give you their cash beforehand (Death halves credits.), and make sure they're set to respawn in your medbay. They can then pilot the giant fuckoff missiles to their destination, and laugh as some guy panics as a bunch of max speed torpedoes that are too fast to shoot down rip apart his ship or planet. Enjoy drinking their tears once the person being attacked inevitably loses their poo poo.

The best part of this plan is that if you find a protected area, you can potentially use the torpedoes to take out the control block. This means you could not only take someone's crap, but also completely pillage the place and make off with all of his hard work since storage blocks drop all items inside on death. Once any control blocks are down you can do this by setting down a build block to mass deconstruct the place into blocks that go into your inventory. Which means being a space pirate is extremely profitable in this game! :science:

Party Alarm posted:

Once you finish the tutorial, you should know some basics. Here's the rest of the stuff.

STARTING OUT AND GETTING SPACERICH

So you've got a handful of modules and 75k credits. Use N to open the navigation menu and go to Dongspace 9 (click the purple "No waypoint set" butan and type 6,7,1) and beg for spacebucks. Alternatively, do one of the following:

Use the 75k to make a ship with shields and try to find some pirates that won't murder you. If the ships are called "Fighter1" and are green, GTFO.

Alternatively, use that ship to find a pirate space station, and use positioning to take out turrets one at a time. You need to kill the blue faction module and this requires a weapon with over 200 damage. It has 200hp, so it will take some time. At the bottom of the station in the center you'll find 4 storage containers full of loot.

You can purchase a build block, attach it to a planet, and right click away a bunch of minerals. Use the advanced building techniques below to make it faster.

You can also mine stuff or something.

Me personally, I killed some poo poo pirates, took their loot, sold it, made a bigger ship, and took out a pirate station and looted it. I hit the money cap selling that poo poo.

ADVANCED BUILDING

Hold LEFT CTRL while in build mode to see advanced build options. They'll appear in the top left corner of your screen. The X/Y/Z parameters are changed by clicking the arrows adjacent to them. These change the size of block placement up to a 10x10x10 cube. The REMOVE MODE checkbox allows you to remove blocks in groups up to the same size. Symmetry planes are also very useful. Clicking the SET button lets you position the desired plane. Use the odd symmetry mode checkbox if you want the plane to be centered in a single block. All three planes can be enabled simultaneously, a must if you're trying to build something like a sphere.

BLOCK STACKING MECHANICS

Several block types have stacking mechanics. AFAIK, all weapons, power gen blocks and thruster blocks have stacking mechanics. Modules link up when placed adjacently, not diagonally.

For weapons: Stacking weapons increases all stats - damage, reload, speed, ect. but with diminishing returns. There is a floor to the bonuses from stacking on a per block basis, so you'll never have a scenario where you get no stat bonuses at a certain stack size. A single Antimatter Cannon (AMC) block delivers something like 34 dps. If you're trying to maxmimize DPS, single AMC blocks give the highest return in DPS/block. However, this is not always practical for a number of reasons. Large amounts of AMC shots can cause frame dropping and lag, and projectile speed on single blocks is terrible.

For power: Generally having a long connected group of power gen blocks is a good idea. I had heard that power gen blocks treated the X/Y/Z distance of a stack as a cube, allowing you to save space, but in testing I can't conform that myself. Not sure if it was changed. Usually a long stack of blocks running down the fuselage of the ship will cover your power needs

For thrusters: They stack similar to power gen blocks. Thrust does NOT affect turning speed, just acceleration. Large groups of thrusters consume a lot of power.

Shields don't stack AFAIK.

THE CATALOG

Make use of this. I highly recommend saving big projects often, and always before you log out. The catalog is accessed through the menu interface. Just look for the tab. There are two submenus - PERSONAL and AVAILABLE. The PERSONAL submenu lists all of your created blueprints, and lets you add descriptions and change permissions on them. You cannot AFAIK update an existing blueprint - you must delete it and re-save it. Anything saved in the personal menu barring faction permissions and such is put in the AVAILABLE tab for all to use. You can produce blocks by abusing this system. I made some ships for block farming, and others have as well. The ones I've made are:

All Standard Hulls - 1000 of every color hull of every block type - corners, blocks, wedges (glass, lava, and ice crystals included)
Hardhullz-COLOR - color coded 1000 block sets each of corner, wedge, and block hardened hulls. Seperated to keep the purchase cost cheaper for the spacepoor
All Glass - 1000 each of plexglass wedges, corners, and blocks

I also have one up with 1000 docking enhancers and 50 docking units. Called docking something.

Keep this in mind! Your blueprints can crowd the AVAILABLE list. If you don't want something anymore, like some early projects you've moved on from, delete them. If you want other people to make use of them, try to type descriptions if it's not too much :effort:

You can rate stuff, too.

BUILDING A STATION

To build a station, you need 1 mil credits, and no other station in the sector you want to build it in. Press M while outside a ship and you'll be prompted to name the station, and a station core will be plopped down.

FACTIONS

The faction menu has three tabs in it, like the catalog menu, so keep this in mind. Factions can declare war on one another, and form alliances. You are allowed one home base per faction, and this base is invulerable. Keep in mind that if someone on the server is at war with your faction they'll probably gently caress up your unprotected poo poo. I wouldn't start a large contruction project outside of the protected sector unless you're prepared to save it and disassemble it before logging out. It'll be floating in space and will probably look cool if someone starts blowing it up. You can start your own faction and request an alliance with Goon Squad if you want your own protected spacebase. If you want to dock at a faction station, you need a ship with a matching faction signature on a faction module to do so. I'm not sure if allied factions can dock with their ally's stations.

AI MODULES

Generally you want to set the any to "ANY" rather than selected target, unless your faction treats neutral as hostile. If that's the case, the AI turret or ship will attack shops. Bobby AI ships will not fly around unless there is a valid target in range, at which point they will engage it. AI can only use dumbfire weapons from what I understand. You'll usually want to stick with AMCs. Apparently, the AI will fire all weapon computers simultaneously, so you can place two AMC cannons adjacently but linked to separate computers and the AI will fire them both. This should let you cram a lot of firepower into turrets. Bumping up projectile speed to keep them on target is probably pretty useful.

So go! Build your space dongs!

eviljimmy fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it
There is a list of multiplayer servers here: http://starmade-servers.com/

How about we pick one and jump on and make a Goon world?

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

Added goon server address to the OP

I would love a Nav computer and some kind of Jump drive so I can put in a co ordinate and have my capital ship appear there after a charge up period.

In other news, is there an easy way to find pirates/make money....I fly around but nothing but planets and asteroids.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

Archonex posted:

So some tips for new players and old ones.

You can ride in other player's spaceships safely. At our current max speed settings, when they enter a new solar system you'll get deysnced into space. However, you can man a player's subsystems. This keeps them from falling out. Apparently, this also includes secondary cockpits. Which means if a player wires up a turret with a cockpit control, you can literally play as a gunner for him. This also is a good way to get newbies to the homeworld when they're screaming about how to join the faction.

The faction is currently open invite. If we have trouble with people griefing the server or being poo poo-heads, i'll set it back to the traditional "send an invite request to get in" method. Until then anyone can join it.

Our planet's coordinates are listed in the faction tab. Just hit I, check the faction tab, and then look at your faction (It's in another tab within the faction tab.) for details on the homeworld coordinates.[/b]

Anything on the planet is technically invincible. I set the purple planet so that it cannot take actual damage from anything. At the moment, any faction member can remove stuff by manually harvesting it on foot. So don't worry about crashing your ship into the planet. The ship may take damage if you ram into it, but you won't kick up a massive storm of debris like that shipwrecked salvager in the picture below did.

Planets have gravity wells. Make sure your ship can escape them. There's already a few ships on the Goon planet that don't have the thrust to escape the planet's gravity. Before you try to land on the surface, make sure you can get out. If not, there's usually a supply of surplus thrusters you can slap onto your ship in storage in the ground level of the base. This is why if you build a giant fuckoff ship like the one up above, that you had better be sure it has an equally large number of giant fuckoff clustered thruster modules. Otherwise you're going to plow into the planet at mach 7, probably killing anyone other than yourself on board and possibly heavily damaging your ship until you can scavenge supplies on the planet to repair it.

On the plus side, as I mentioned up above, so far it does appear that gravity wells can be extended (albeit at a weakened rate of pull) if you build upwards from the planet. So making orbital drydocks is actually a thing in this game. As you can see in my screenshot, we've already made a space elevator to try and accommodate for this.

Factory Construction/Usage Tutorial:

I know how to do this, but don't have time to write it all up yet. Just added this part in, so once I get a free moment i'll update this post to show you how you can mass produce items/parts/blocks for insanely large (or just small) construction ideas. It's remarkably easy, and reminds me of some of the factory mods from minecraft, albeit much more automated.

Fun Ship Building/Griefing Stuff

If I understand the game mechanics and physics properly, it should be possible to make an insanely destructive torpedo carrier. More a fun thing I discovered than anything else, but if you get a bunch of the detonate-on-ram blocks it should be possible to create a ship with insanely destructive "manned torpedoes". I'm working on building an easy and quick to use system for this right now, but just to run down the mechanics of how it works for anyone else who wants to try:

How you do this is that you first create a "carrier" ship (So literally a carrier.) that has docking bays attached to it. For the sake of simplicity and safety, it may be a good idea to have an underslung carrier bay with docking modules inside. Be sure to have at least four or five docking areas for smaller fighter sized ships available.

The actual operating section of this ship (for the crew, not the gullible bastards heroic sacrifices) should have a medbay in it with a plex respawner. This respawner must be protected at all costs, just like the engines and power supply must be. If one or the other go down, you may be trapped in an unfamiliar section of space. I recommend adding a large power core that is made out of nothing but shields and power blocks. With enough shields most NPC's and PC's won't be able to kill you before you either escape or destroy them with your nukes. Slap a few automated turrets on the thing if you want personal defenses and want to min-max the thing.

Now create a simple small ship in the form of a missile using hull blocks. This is mostly to get the shape of it right, since doing it with detonator blocks first would probably be much more expensive. Then, replace the front hull (Or all of it if you want a ridiculous nuke sized explosion that'll probably tear ships apart. Need to check how good the ramming blocks are first. That's the only potential flaw in this, but youtube infers they're pretty ridiculous.) section with stacked, touching ramming blocks. Then, add a large number of thrust modules thrust modules (5x5 should be enough no matter what.) where the thrusters would be on the missile, with an equally large number of power suppliers behind it between the hull and the thrusters. Be sure the core is seated towards this section so that it isn't accidentally destroyed if someone scores a lucky hit on your ship. Slap some guns on it if you want to try and reduce shields beforehand. You can always "power slide" to the left or right, letting your ship make contact on the sides to trigger detonation, since the game has pseudo-gravityless physics working.

Now, catalog both ships. You want to catalog your carrier so you can build it on any server/if it gets destroyed, and your manned torpedoes because...Well, they ain't comin' back to the ship once they launch.

Once you've done that go to a store and buy as many "manned torpedoes" as you can dock in your carrier. Dock them in your ship, and get your friends to ride along in your ship with you to whatever it is you want to crater the gently caress out of. If they're space rich like you are, have them give you their cash beforehand (Death halves credits.), and make sure they're set to respawn in your medbay. They can then pilot the giant fuckoff missiles to their destination, and laugh as some guy panics as a bunch of max speed torpedoes that are too fast to shoot down rip apart his ship or planet. Enjoy drinking their tears once the person being attacked inevitably loses their poo poo.

The best part of this plan is that if you find a protected area, you can potentially use the torpedoes to take out the control block. This means you could not only take someone's crap, but also completely pillage the place and make off with all of his hard work since storage blocks drop all items inside on death. Once any control blocks are down you can do this by setting down a build block to mass deconstruct the place into blocks that go into your inventory. Which means being a space pirate is extremely profitable in this game! :science:

mind if I steal this for the OP?

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

Are credits and inventories transferable? I thought you had a new spawn on each new server?

I think the original server will be fine if we just stick to a space station.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

For anyone interested, there is a higher res texture pack someone made

DOWNLOAD HERE

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

YellerBill posted:

Someone on the goon server has a ship that's just four enormous cubes (presumably full of stuff) and I have no lag near it, so I'm guessing the game can handle fairly big ships.

We think it is probably the Goon planet with its buildings and space elevator that is loving stuff up....best to keep away from it for now.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

When we get the new goon server it might be fun to have two factions like Goon Red and Goon blue with colour themed ships or something... Just to give us some... Challenge?

I would like to keep the blueprints off however as I think it will encourage people to design their own instead of ending up with a server full of star destroyers.

A few things I would love to see in the future:
A proper 3rd person interface
A better interface (the inv panels are huge yet the orientation bit is tiny)
Inventory sorting
Some kind of settable ejection point for the ship core so if it is in the bottom of the ship you don't get out under the ship.
Adding friends

That's all I got right now.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

One of the best things to do for a challenge is take good ships and let the pirates use them. The pirates tend to be better shots than the average player, or at least a player who's not using a dedicated gunner.

While I agree completely, i don't think pirates are prevalent enough to be more than an annoyance to a load of goons. That said, finding a super star destroyer heading towards you would an awesome raid boss type experience.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Admins can spawn more pirates in, including massive raids of 'em.

edit: Also, carrier ships are great to give to pirates, as you have the carrier and however many fighters it has to deal with for each pirate spawn.

Ok well that does sound awesome.

Anyone know when the other goon server is going up? or has our normal one just crashed?

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

Archonex posted:

I'm still transferring it. After a bit of examination, I realized that the required server files are spread over multiple folders, so there was no easy way to transfer everything over without it being a pain. Unfortunately, by the time I realized that it was about 5AM, so I decided to get some rest before finishing up with the transfer.

At this point i'm just going to dump the entire Starmade folder onto the server provided, along with the launcher. Otherwise I can't guarantee that things like blueprints and server settings will be consistent. Once I can get onto it to upload the files it should go up.

Hurry man...I need my fix :negative:

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

Is there a way to increase the shop stock of stuff? I am trying to build a space penis ship and everywhere is sold out of Hardened Black Hull :saddowns:

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

Archer2338 posted:

Suggestion for the OP: Add in how to use the symmetry options in Advanced Build mode... Was really frustrated until I realized I have to click odd-symmetry mode and have the planes fix on a block.

I would add that if I actually used/understood it. Do a write up on how to use it and I'll add it.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

AcidRonin posted:

The worst thing in the world. Boot up this game to play it for the first time, build ship, set off for planet, HIT THE loving BUTTON THAT MAKES ME JUMP OUT OF MY SHIP. Bye ship :saddowns:

I have started calling the long space walk after this happens the "noob swim" as we all do it at least once at the start.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

A few quick questions:

Is there a sweet spot for the length of missile tubes? My massive long ones seem to only have tiny explosions.

How are you guys taking screenshots?

Do shield generators take power or are they self powered and add to the general shields?
Which blocks apart from power blocks suffer from the decreased efficiency if the are next to each other?

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

Jesus christ, docking needs to get sorted out. I don't think anything winds me up as much as those lovely docking areas and the fact that you entire ship has to gently caress about aiming this rigid beam at one block.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

Aight, some general info and stuff

Once you finish the tutorial, you should know some basics. Here's the rest of the stuff.

STARTING OUT AND GETTING SPACERICH

So you've got a handful of modules and 75k credits. Use N to open the navigation menu and go to Dongspace 9 (click the purple "No waypoint set" butan and type 6,7,1) and beg for spacebucks. Alternatively, do one of the following:

Use the 75k to make a ship with shields and try to find some pirates that won't murder you. If the ships are called "Fighter1" and are green, GTFO.

Alternatively, use that ship to find a pirate space station, and use positioning to take out turrets one at a time. You need to kill the blue faction module and this requires a weapon with over 200 damage. It has 200hp, so it will take some time. At the bottom of the station in the center you'll find 4 storage containers full of loot.

You can purchase a build block, attach it to a planet, and right click away a bunch of minerals. Use the advanced building techniques below to make it faster.

You can also mine stuff or something.

Me personally, I killed some poo poo pirates, took their loot, sold it, made a bigger ship, and took out a pirate station and looted it. I hit the money cap selling that poo poo.

ADVANCED BUILDING

Hold LEFT CTRL while in build mode to see advanced build options. They'll appear in the top left corner of your screen. The X/Y/Z parameters are changed by clicking the arrows adjacent to them. These change the size of block placement up to a 10x10x10 cube. The REMOVE MODE checkbox allows you to remove blocks in groups up to the same size. Symmetry planes are also very useful. Clicking the SET button lets you position the desired plane. Use the odd symmetry mode checkbox if you want the plane to be centered in a single block. All three planes can be enabled simultaneously, a must if you're trying to build something like a sphere.

BLOCK STACKING MECHANICS

Several block types have stacking mechanics. AFAIK, all weapons, power gen blocks and thruster blocks have stacking mechanics. Modules link up when placed adjacently, not diagonally.

For weapons: Stacking weapons increases all stats - damage, reload, speed, ect. but with diminishing returns. There is a floor to the bonuses from stacking on a per block basis, so you'll never have a scenario where you get no stat bonuses at a certain stack size. A single Antimatter Cannon (AMC) block delivers something like 34 dps. If you're trying to maxmimize DPS, single AMC blocks give the highest return in DPS/block. However, this is not always practical for a number of reasons. Large amounts of AMC shots can cause frame dropping and lag, and projectile speed on single blocks is terrible.

For power: Generally having a long connected group of power gen blocks is a good idea. I had heard that power gen blocks treated the X/Y/Z distance of a stack as a cube, allowing you to save space, but in testing I can't conform that myself. Not sure if it was changed. Usually a long stack of blocks running down the fuselage of the ship will cover your power needs

For thrusters: They stack similar to power gen blocks. Thrust does NOT affect turning speed, just acceleration. Large groups of thrusters consume a lot of power.

Shields don't stack AFAIK.

THE CATALOG

Make use of this. I highly recommend saving big projects often, and always before you log out. The catalog is accessed through the menu interface. Just look for the tab. There are two submenus - PERSONAL and AVAILABLE. The PERSONAL submenu lists all of your created blueprints, and lets you add descriptions and change permissions on them. You cannot AFAIK update an existing blueprint - you must delete it and re-save it. Anything saved in the personal menu barring faction permissions and such is put in the AVAILABLE tab for all to use. You can produce blocks by abusing this system. I made some ships for block farming, and others have as well. The ones I've made are:

All Standard Hulls - 1000 of every color hull of every block type - corners, blocks, wedges (glass, lava, and ice crystals included)
Hardhullz-COLOR - color coded 1000 block sets each of corner, wedge, and block hardened hulls. Seperated to keep the purchase cost cheaper for the spacepoor
All Glass - 1000 each of plexglass wedges, corners, and blocks

I also have one up with 1000 docking enhancers and 50 docking units. Called docking something.

Keep this in mind! Your blueprints can crowd the AVAILABLE list. If you don't want something anymore, like some early projects you've moved on from, delete them. If you want other people to make use of them, try to type descriptions if it's not too much :effort:

You can rate stuff, too.

BUILDING A STATION

To build a station, you need 1 mil credits, and no other station in the sector you want to build it in. Press M while outside a ship and you'll be prompted to name the station, and a station core will be plopped down.

FACTIONS

The faction menu has three tabs in it, like the catalog menu, so keep this in mind. Factions can declare war on one another, and form alliances. You are allowed one home base per faction, and this base is invulerable. Keep in mind that if someone on the server is at war with your faction they'll probably gently caress up your unprotected poo poo. I wouldn't start a large contruction project outside of the protected sector unless you're prepared to save it and disassemble it before logging out. It'll be floating in space and will probably look cool if someone starts blowing it up. You can start your own faction and request an alliance with Goon Squad if you want your own protected spacebase. If you want to dock at a faction station, you need a ship with a matching faction signature on a faction module to do so. I'm not sure if allied factions can dock with their ally's stations.

AI MODULES

Generally you want to set the any to "ANY" rather than selected target, unless your faction treats neutral as hostile. If that's the case, the AI turret or ship will attack shops. Bobby AI ships will not fly around unless there is a valid target in range, at which point they will engage it. AI can only use dumbfire weapons from what I understand. You'll usually want to stick with AMCs. Apparently, the AI will fire all weapon computers simultaneously, so you can place two AMC cannons adjacently but linked to separate computers and the AI will fire them both. This should let you cram a lot of firepower into turrets. Bumping up projectile speed to keep them on target is probably pretty useful.

Brilliant. Added to OP

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

OP is updated with new info (sorry it was a tad slow....still recovering from :siren:my birthday:siren: weekend.)

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

To be fair the faction drama is mainly being caused by the leader of one goon faction actively hunting down newbies who don't join or respond to his requests while pretending he is a space Osama bin Laden.

The factions s are fine as long as they have established areas for people to build poo poo if that's all the want to do. Having your new ship blow up by some guy in a 200 million credit cruiser isn't anyone's idea of fun.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

Raneman posted:

My 900k credits ship takes like 5 to 10 minutes to get the money for. It's just efficient. Some people take like a multitude of days to get setup and jihad ready, so how long should I give these people before blowing them up? Most of them are in the server for multiple hours.

You gave me about 30 mins before you shot me.

I am just saying that maybe we should stick to killing only people who are a faction who is specifically an enemy through a war declaration and not running a "jihad" on anyone who doesn't surrender immediately. It will put publics off for a start and means everyone is just running around worried that they will be ganged at any minute.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

EDIT: Never mind, it's Raneman being an autistic shitsack as usual.

This seems to be a running theme on the new server.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

lohli posted:

Blowing people up in general is fine, but I'd rather that players didn't join the server, cobble together or buy a ship, have it blown up as soon as they venture outside of 2,2,2, try again, and then leave because they just blew through all of their starter money. That whole "I could lose my ship and any moment"-thing is great when you have the luxury of being able to readily replace that ship with a copy or something else entirely, but taking a huge poo poo on players before they have a chance to achieve anything is a dick move.

yeah, pretty much this. We moved to this server so we could attract non goons and mess with them. To get the most potential out of this we need to play a long game and let them build up, not scream "gently caress off pubbies raaaarg" as soon as they join because "they look pubbish" :wtf:

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

BERGfu posted:

Have we thought about setting up a station by the initial spawn? Would that make sense so that way you can have the noobie station that would let people have a frame of reference and people would be able to get starting gear if need be from it? I know that most of the minecraft servers I have played on have a starter town before you go off into the wilds and get hosed by people who have been on the server for ages.

I think people tried but got blown up by the Swastika wielding Nazi Party Islamic Communism as soon as they started.

eviljimmy fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 14, 2013

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

zennik posted:

i'll fund this from a credits/blocks standpoint if someone wants to design and build the station

I will build it but I need to know that Raneman won't destroy it or my ship in the process.

Also i suggest we have 3 main factions:

Builders: peaceful to/with everyone... They make stuff and will run/build the station at spawn without fear of being dunked, ganked or hosed with.

Goons: Goonfleet or Islamic communism, i don't care. For goons who like a pvp/dangerous environment.

Pubbies: non goons who want the same and are happy being attacked/hosed with.

Failing that, we all join one guild and gank Raneman until he gives up.

eviljimmy fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 14, 2013

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

I set up a Google+ group for Starmade Goons (Choosing Google+ as it is easier to join/invite and there are Hangouts.)

https://plus.google.com/communities/104140531382129444939

It is public at the moment but when there are a few more people we can make it private or whatever.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

LuciferMorningstar posted:

So I, uh, I'm finding it amusing that Raneman is now bitching about pubbies blowing his poo poo up.

ok ok sorry guys time to shut down the server...someone was EXPLOITING and shooting raneman in the safe zone. They hurt his shields. HIS SHIELDS GUYS. :supaburn:

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

Where is that?

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

What this game seriously needs is an ownership block or some ownership function on the ship core. I am getting pretty sick of having to hide my ship because some fucker (regardless of whether it is locked to the faction) finds it and decides to fly off with it or take it apart.

Also people are complaining of lag and then parking huge ships in the starting area.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

I just got kicked for using a modified blueprint? what is the difference between that and a normal one? I build the ship that the blueprint was for from scratch on the server.....oh and this was after I got killed while trying to build a space station in the "safe zone" by a guy in a loving starship enterprise.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

biomatter posted:

My philosophy is that if your shields are breaking, you did something wrong when you made the ship.

yeah thats great if you want a ship that looks like poo poo and isn't anything more than a flying block of shields and power.

Or if someone has more/bigger guns.

On an unrelated note, the server decided that the only blueprint of the ship I spent ages on was modified and deleted it.

Furthermore if anyone sees MavMav, feel free to gank him till he leaves/cries.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

There is a goonfleet faction. If you shout at me (Jimmy) I can invite you. I didn't want to make it public due to people joining and stealing stuff.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

darthzeta88 posted:

Is it the Islamist communist? That one seemed dead and no safe stations to log off in.

no, the faction is actually called Goonfleet and I have spent all day making a starbase for us to use.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

darthzeta88 posted:

Goonfleet should be the good one. Talk to jimmy. I still need an invite because i moved my incomplete capital ship and am hoping no one attacks it in space while at work. It has almost 100k blocks right now.

yeah this. If I am on then bug me for an invite and once I have a few people I know for sure are goons then I will give more people invite privileges.

I also built a station for us at 7, 5, 8

Add to it and build it out (keeping the look) but I swear if one of you fuckers steals all the materials or blows it up, I will make it my life's mission to gently caress everyone's poo poo up.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

Why are your turrets shooting you? Just pop a faction block in them and they won't shoot you or anything friendly?

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

No, he vanished one day. Whether he was banned or got bored, I do not know.

darthzeta88 posted:

Also how badly wound is The hyperiion? I dont get off work for many hours.

Also I will teach the art of pirate. Overload the enemies ship core and it removes the faction permissions. Jump in the core to stop the overload. Set faction to your faction. Success.

And I might hunt the fucker down that shot my baby. Jimmy can we maybe declare war on him If feasible?

Yeah I got rid of your dry dock as it was a huge turd in space and that Hyperion (In lieu of you building something yourself) is in the station dry docks which are more in theme with the station itself. It all looks neater now.

The damage was probably cause by the 2 or 3 NPC pirates that strafe the station every so often, I have no idea why all my purpose built turrets never shoot at them however :confused:

eviljimmy fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 28, 2013

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

darthzeta88 posted:

Jimmy do we have a faction planet? If not I would like to get one and hollow it out to dock massive capital ships that can be protected. Just gonna need a lot of plex doors. And If I hollow it out and have them come in from the side into it or below it it shouldn't lag.

We don't have a faction planet. I have avoided setting up on a planet because planets tend to gently caress stuff up. This is doubly so if you have a space lift or multiple large ships in orbit. If you want to make a faction allied with Goonfleet that has a planet as a faction home then great but Eden station will be the faction home until i see otherwise.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

Literally Kermit posted:

eviljimmy are the plans to make a factory area on Eden? I found a recipe for wood which almost cries out to be worked into a dong megaship. Lol, nope. Lost most of my wealth getting one shotted by some guy named viper. Easy come, easy go~

Are we allowed to make more docking areas on Eden? Green block docks, I mean. Need docks, man.

Yeah sure, make whatever mods to it you like as long as they look good and keep in the theme of the place. For example: A massive jet black dry dock for the Hyperion probably isn't.

There is masses of inside area for a factory section so feel free to set up in a corner.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

Turrents is what some people here called turrets...maybe because english isn't a first language or because they are loving idiots. :iiam:

Also please don't steal ships you find around...especially if you "accidently woops lol" push them out of spawn.

Cut that poo poo out and build your own ship or go fight someone else that wants to fight.

Number 1 rule of the server is: Don't be a dick.

Also, Literally Kermit? Your additions to Eden are terrible (if they are yours)

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

I am still around and still read the thread but took a bit of a break due to real life. I am also waiting for some new inventive feature to come out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

nightwisher posted:

It's not even remotely combat effective either.

I can understand building huge ships because, hey they're huge ships. But many of them are effectively defenceless because their turrets don't cover the massive blind spots where a decent sized rail-gun ship can quickly tear through the hull and tag the ship core.

Ships like that are meant to have fleets of small ships that defend them while they rape other ships....hell The Damocles has a small fleet inside it.

• Locked thread