Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
I hate games like these. I look at a video online showing someone's batshit insane planet killer they made from scratch, then inevitably get it in my head to do something similarly batshit crazy. Like make a to-scale model of the Death Star or a planet sized goatse death machine that can vaporize planetoids in a rain of gunfire, lasers, and missiles.

In fact i'm already doing it. I just made a slightly smaller asteroid sized ship that cannibalizes entire asteroids and planets, all to fund the construction of my even bigger planet slayer. This game better not have an upper cap on ship size. :suicide:

At least i'll have the best ship possible to gently caress with player constructions once i'm done. And if I can get it working, i'll even have a swanky throne room to view the tears from. Plus, I get to find out if you can force a player made object to have planet-esque graphics from afar if it's large enough. That's no moon! :v:

Tempted to try putting up a dedicated server for any goons that want to play the game or help make a buyable ship designed to explore burn the universe.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

BlueDestiny posted:

I wish AI ships could use salvage beams. Would be pretty great to scour the galaxy of matter with a horde of mining bots that mass produce parts to make more mining bots.

Also, since you can't plonk a ship core onto asteroids and ride them around, I think I'm gonna try to make a ship that is (almost) exclusively made from whatever I find mining.

I dug up a planned feature list, and this is a thing.

In fact, they're apparently working on the ability to build a fleet of AI ships under your control too. So the game has elements of the X universe series of games too.

In all seriousness, is there an interest in a goon run dedicated server? I can see if I can spare the bandwidth to host one if so. No guarantees on if it stays up forever, but it's better than having to put up with some spergy manchild screaming about no ramming for when people want to goof off.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Glorgnole posted:

As far as I can tell 2/3rds of the fun of this game is finding someone's lovingly cultivated 1:1 replica of a Space Marine Battle Barge or whatever and blowing the poo poo out of it. Don't forget that you can save ship blueprints so you can replace the fruits of your aspergic labors after they're inevitably shot to pieces.

A goon server would be pretty cool.

Set up a server. May not be a permanent thing, but it should do for now.

Just start up the launcher, and select to play in multiplayer. Then copy and paste this into the box. 72.45.56.195:4242

If there's any problems connecting, let me know. The community says that the MP interface is wonky. Apparently a lot of people recommend Hamachi for it, or something.

In other news, I found a massive abandoned space station on the server i'm hosting. Which saves anyone the trouble of getting the insane amount of money to start building one. So now once someone gets factory blocks set up there, people can find recipes to mass produce blocks for building stuff.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 2, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Rebooted the server to support the higher max travel speed people wanted.

Also, gently caress pirates forever. :argh:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Just set up a faction and faction home base on a planet. It's surrounded by other planets and we have a rudimentary crafting/storage/docking facility on the surface that i'm slowly setting up. Should hopefully keep people from having to farm mats once it's up and running fully.

The faction is open invite too. Just ask to join and the game should automatically let you in. From there the faction tab tells you where the home base is. Right now we need to set up a factory floor for space spergery hilarity, and to help make newbies lives easier. So that is the first priority past making the place habitable, I guess.

Edit: Also working on a space elevator for the docking facility. Turns out that you appear to be able to build upwards out of the planet's gravity to create space docks for ships too heavy to maintain orbit using their thrusters or land on the planet safely.

I'm making it out of beacon tiles so that the space elevator doubles as a massive beacon tower that blinds anyone flying through the solar system. If lighting stacks, i'm hoping it'll turn into some sort of hosed up lighthouse of doom that causes people to crash land on the (now invincible) planet, spilling their precious resources all over the surface for anyone there at the time. :v:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 2, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

fromoutofnowhere posted:

No, anything that flies needs to be connected to a ship box. You can though eat a couple of asteroids, or planets, and then recreate it on your ship if you wanted.

Edit: Server died. :(

I rebooted it real fast. Should be back up now.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So we're pretty much space rich at the moment. This lead to someone landing this monster of a ship on the planet out of the blue. Rabidsamba's reaction in chat in the picture was definitely appropriate, since we turned around while constructing planet-side facilties and it was right there. We didn't even hear it crash into the planet behind us.

It's a gigantic battleship 1/4th the length of the planet our base is on. So someone basically imported an unarmed titan from EVE Online.

Clearly, such a beast of a ship deserved a proper berth in the orbital cradle. Something up there apparently generates its own gravitational field. It's either the ship or the space elevator. Which is :black101:.

Now we have to deal with very rich pirates being able to requisition that thing, though. Hopefully we can get some automated turrets and copilot seating on the thing before they start to show up. :stonk:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 2, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So some tips for new players and old ones.

You can ride in other player's spaceships safely. At our current max speed settings, when they enter a new solar system you'll get deysnced into space. However, you can man a player's subsystems. This keeps them from falling out. Apparently, this also includes secondary cockpits. Which means if a player wires up a turret with a cockpit control, you can literally play as a gunner for him. This also is a good way to get newbies to the homeworld when they're screaming about how to join the faction.

The faction is currently open invite. If we have trouble with people griefing the server or being poo poo-heads, i'll set it back to the traditional "send an invite request to get in" method. Until then anyone can join it.

Our planet's coordinates are listed in the faction tab. Just hit I, check the faction tab, and then look at your faction (It's in another tab within the faction tab.) for details on the homeworld coordinates.[/b]

Anything on the planet is technically invincible. I set the purple planet so that it cannot take actual damage from anything. At the moment, any faction member can remove stuff by manually harvesting it on foot. So don't worry about crashing your ship into the planet. The ship may take damage if you ram into it, but you won't kick up a massive storm of debris like that shipwrecked salvager in the picture below did.

Planets have gravity wells. Make sure your ship can escape them. There's already a few ships on the Goon planet that don't have the thrust to escape the planet's gravity. Before you try to land on the surface, make sure you can get out. If not, there's usually a supply of surplus thrusters you can slap onto your ship in storage in the ground level of the base. This is why if you build a giant fuckoff ship like the one up above, that you had better be sure it has an equally large number of giant fuckoff clustered thruster modules. Otherwise you're going to plow into the planet at mach 7, probably killing anyone other than yourself on board and possibly heavily damaging your ship until you can scavenge supplies on the planet to repair it.

On the plus side, as I mentioned up above, so far it does appear that gravity wells can be extended (albeit at a weakened rate of pull) if you build upwards from the planet. So making orbital drydocks is actually a thing in this game. As you can see in my screenshot, we've already made a space elevator to try and accommodate for this.

Factory Construction/Usage Tutorial:

I know how to do this, but don't have time to write it all up yet. Just added this part in, so once I get a free moment i'll update this post to show you how you can mass produce items/parts/blocks for insanely large (or just small) construction ideas. It's remarkably easy, and reminds me of some of the factory mods from minecraft, albeit much more automated.

Fun Ship Building/Griefing Stuff

If I understand the game mechanics and physics properly, it should be possible to make an insanely destructive torpedo carrier. More a fun thing I discovered than anything else, but if you get a bunch of the detonate-on-ram blocks it should be possible to create a ship with insanely destructive "manned torpedoes". I'm working on building an easy and quick to use system for this right now, but just to run down the mechanics of how it works for anyone else who wants to try:

How you do this is that you first create a "carrier" ship (So literally a carrier.) that has docking bays attached to it. For the sake of simplicity and safety, it may be a good idea to have an underslung carrier bay with docking modules inside. Be sure to have at least four or five docking areas for smaller fighter sized ships available.

The actual operating section of this ship (for the crew, not the gullible bastards heroic sacrifices) should have a medbay in it with a plex respawner. This respawner must be protected at all costs, just like the engines and power supply must be. If one or the other go down, you may be trapped in an unfamiliar section of space. I recommend adding a large power core that is made out of nothing but shields and power blocks. With enough shields most NPC's and PC's won't be able to kill you before you either escape or destroy them with your nukes. Slap a few automated turrets on the thing if you want personal defenses and want to min-max the thing.

Now create a simple small ship in the form of a missile using hull blocks. This is mostly to get the shape of it right, since doing it with detonator blocks first would probably be much more expensive. Then, replace the front hull (Or all of it if you want a ridiculous nuke sized explosion that'll probably tear ships apart. Need to check how good the ramming blocks are first. That's the only potential flaw in this, but youtube infers they're pretty ridiculous.) section with stacked, touching ramming blocks. Then, add a large number of thrust modules thrust modules (5x5 should be enough no matter what.) where the thrusters would be on the missile, with an equally large number of power suppliers behind it between the hull and the thrusters. Be sure the core is seated towards this section so that it isn't accidentally destroyed if someone scores a lucky hit on your ship. Slap some guns on it if you want to try and reduce shields beforehand. You can always "power slide" to the left or right, letting your ship make contact on the sides to trigger detonation, since the game has pseudo-gravityless physics working.

Now, catalog both ships. You want to catalog your carrier so you can build it on any server/if it gets destroyed, and your manned torpedoes because...Well, they ain't comin' back to the ship once they launch.

Once you've done that go to a store and buy as many "manned torpedoes" as you can dock in your carrier. Dock them in your ship, and get your friends to ride along in your ship with you to whatever it is you want to crater the gently caress out of. If they're space rich like you are, have them give you their cash beforehand (Death halves credits.), and make sure they're set to respawn in your medbay. They can then pilot the giant fuckoff missiles to their destination, and laugh as some guy panics as a bunch of max speed torpedoes that are too fast to shoot down rip apart his ship or planet. Enjoy drinking their tears once the person being attacked inevitably loses their poo poo.

The best part of this plan is that if you find a protected area, you can potentially use the torpedoes to take out the control block. This means you could not only take someone's crap, but also completely pillage the place and make off with all of his hard work since storage blocks drop all items inside on death. Once any control blocks are down you can do this by setting down a build block to mass deconstruct the place into blocks that go into your inventory. Which means being a space pirate is extremely profitable in this game! :science:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 2, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So should I shut the goon server down?

Doesn't look like there's any lag on the server I set up. Likely someone did something stupid to cause it, like setting up a mile long spaceship. From the looks of it that can potentially tax the system when first uploading it, since the way the game handles it has it upload the layout and then build it fairly quickly.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 2, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

What about this one? I don't see a restriction on blueprints with these guys: http://starmade-servers.com/server/246/

And it's got 43 players.

It says no blueprints. Doesn't that mean that you can't upload any to the server? If so that means that it's literally just PVP. If I understand the upload system right that means you'll never see pirates sporting ships that are made. Which means it's basically easy mode for spergs.

nftyw posted:

I found it and somehow glitched it into space and then stuck some boosters on, and delivered it back to home base. I guess maybe that could've been part of the problem.

That might have been the cause of the lag, yeah. If it was ramming into the planet constantly maybe that did it. :v:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 2, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Orv posted:

No I stripped it and stranded it there intentionally. The upside down nature of how I left it was... somewhat less intentional. Maybe something big on a planet causes lag, though Starfucker 9000 was grounded earlier without lag.

The way it looks to be angled, it almost makes me think it might be trying to fall constantly. Block based games like that can have wonky physics, and who knows what the planetary gravity physics are like in Starmade. I mean, from what we saw early this morning it looks like building upwards out of planetary gravity can actually increase the size of a gravity well. Or if not that, apply the planetary gravity well to constructions linked to the surface.

That being said, I logged in just now and didn't see any lag. I also checked my network monitor and it didn't report all of my upload capabilities being taken up, so that shouldn't have been the cause either. The computer it's running on isn't at all stressed CPU-wise either. Just to be safe, I asked, and another player confirmed the lag is gone as well.

Likely it was something to do with a process occurring in the game. Although it doesn't seem likely to happen that often, given that the thing's been running for almost an hour. I'll check around the forums to see what the cause might be. Hopefully it's not some limitation of Java causing it. I really don't want to have to restrict some function of the gameplay due to engine limitations. Right now it's totally a sandbox with everything activated, and i'd like to keep it that way.

Either way, i'll keep it up until it looks like it's abandoned. Provided the game's account system lets you transfer credits and resources, it'd be a good place to base ourselves for any stuff we do on public servers.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 2, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Ahh, why would you not allow blueprints? I guess to keep giant ships from being a thing? Oh well. I'm on the c3w with some other goons for now until we figure out where to go from here.

Post coords if you can. If I can bring my character over I can buy us a swanky space station and a faction home base to operate from. Now that I know how to use factories we can mass produce stuff once I get a base set up.

Edit: The first thing I see after zoning in to C3W.

A gigantic fuckoff Star Destroyer. I screen shotted the size of a block in the corner for comparison purposes. We need to hijack that thing.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 2, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Rabidsamba posted:

If we do switch to some other server I think we may be better off having a space station instead of a homeworld, just so that we can get around the issue of the gravity, or we should at least set up one near wherever we decide to settle.

More importantly, we need to find some pirate stations, because those things are filled with money making materials. Last night I just set up a fast and light ship with some radar jammers and cloaking, and just flew it straight towards the center of one of them, out of range from the auto turrets. From there I just spent a few minutes shooting at the faction block and then stole everything inside of their chests.

There must have been about 3000 or more of the minerals, most levels 3-5, putting me at around 2.5billion credits after selling off like a third of them. Just make sure to check how much the shop is giving you, because I had one of the stacks either glitch out or roll over the counter or something and putting the value at a negative amount which dropped me to 0 credits.

Also, quick tip for the pirate stations, if you can sneak over to the turrets without getting your face blown off, you can enter the weapons module that controls them and then enter build mode and just deconstruct them. Then use the lasers you get from that to speed up the time it takes to break the faction block.

You don't even need to find a pirate station. Find an abandoned or trade guild station and blow up the faction control node. Or find where the storage locker is inside of it. That'll net you half million right there, if not more. More if you take control of the building to remove all mats after taking it over.

Edit: My main reason for wanting to hijack it is that that thing looks insanely expensive. Taking it from someone would be hilarious as a result.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 2, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Salvaged the poo poo out of that Star Destroyer. I am now stupidly space rich. Who wants a space station?

Those white hull pieces are hardened hull. Which are amazingly expensive. :getin:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Buying that ship nets you billions with out the carpel tunnel!

True. But now I get to see the server host lose his poo poo in general chat over a heavily salvaged space ship.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Randalor posted:

Wait, you just SALVAGED it? gently caress, why not just jack it and crash it into as many planets as you can and leave it wedged in the disk?

Because now I have literally infinite cash to fund the creation of our very own goon station, The Mein Craft. Plus, by selling all that hull I actually have more cash than that ship cost. Meaning that I can spawn something even bigger.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

BlueDestiny posted:

Archonex are you the guy to ask for faction invites? I'd like to make a giant space skull with laser eye turrets at the goonstation.

Pretty sure anyone can invite you. If i'm on I can do it though.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Looks like it's still down.

I still have mine up if you're jonesing to play with goons until it goes back up however.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

I may reboot the server here in a few minutes. There appears to be a bit of a memory leak. I've had it up since yesterday barring a quick reboot, and it's eating up more and more system resources as it gets run longer. A quick test also reveals that it's eating up an absurd amount of download capacity for 7 people. Which given that we easily had that many on before last night, is far in excess of the lag people should be receiving for that many people online.

Looks like it's effecting people on the server as well, so i'm hoping a reboot will fix it.

Edit: And on rebooting it, there was a lag spike followed by the Java platform (and game client) crashing hard. It finally feels like an alpha. :v:

Not sure what to do to fix this. I'm guessing something on the server is fairly hosed up, since we had that many on last night with no problems. Anyone know what could be causing it?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 3, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Samolety posted:

It looks like blueprints of gigantic ships are big trouble for servers, probably why most of them don't allow blueprints.

That'd explain the lag, I guess. We had at least two gigantic ships spawned in via blueprints late last night/early this morning. And it looks like someone uploaded some new blueprints since I was last on too. So i'm guessing that caused some issues. Especially since it appears to be running fine now that most people have logged back on.

I'm up for loving with hardcore PVPers. Alternatively, any sort of roleplayed environment would create hilarious amounts of drama and tears given how easy it is to gently caress with people's spaceships in this game. Not sure if this game has a community that big to have an active server like that yet though.

Or i'm up for just playing on C3W for now, too. The server host lost his poo poo when he realized those star destroyers were spawned in, so it seems like it'd make for some good laughs every now and then. Apparently the guy who made the blueprint ~cheated~ to create the ship or something, so he was ranting in global chat about how he was tempted to turn blueprint uploads off.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 3, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So what server is everyone on for public play at the moment? C3W, or the PVP server?

Edit: C3W is still active. And our station is looking horrifically ugly swanky as hell.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 3, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Glorgnole posted:

So in a fit of militaristic ambition Goonfleet is now at war with most of the major c3w factions (although they don't know it yet).

Our new enemies include these guys:

I propose a raid. Any thoughts?

Those look like something out of Homeworld. Just go blow their planet up. :v:

Also, I figured out how to build turrets and proper docking arms. My experiments with turret AI also lead me to create a somewhat rabid AI that'd fire nukes at any ships in the vicinity of the station. Thankfully I was able to turn it off before it damaged anything.

Now to turn C3W into a fortress of Goon Superiority.

Also, it turns out that you can set AI's to take over entire ships. I'm assuming this makes them work like pirates, where they patrol a sector. Only instead, they hunt down ships not in your faction. Though I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Calef posted:

Is there a way to guarantee extra beams by arranging blocks of emitters appropriately? I have several independent columns of salvage cannons but only 3 salvage beams...

It's fairly easy. Put a space between beams for one, and remember that you can put one diagonal to it on a mount without any trouble setting up a new beam.

Also, you can set up a 3x2/3 tall cannon, then add a light or other solid block and create another one on top of that. That lets you make arrays of cannons.

If you're playing on C3W, i've actually uploaded a goon faction only ship that will let you harvest ludicrous amounts of minerals from planets and asteroids. It's almost faster than deselecting using a build block in fact, and keeps your hand from cramping up from having to constantly click with a build block. If you're playing there you might use them. Or just use them to see how I did it.

If it's buildable, it should be called the "Goon_Salvager_MK1". There's also a MK2 variant where I had the idea to stack even more arrays onto the thing, for batshit insane amounts of harvesting.

I also have a MK1 ship and MK2 ship set up for faction use at our station. The MK1 variant is named "The Dread Sperg", and the MK2 variant is named "Sperg Salvager" (Because it can chop up unoccupied player ships insanely fast).

Edit: Also, it seems that we've chosen the most stupidly lethal system to inhabit on the server. It turns out that light from the sun can cause damage if you get too close to it. Coincidentally, many of the planets are insanely close to the sun. I learned this when I checked the alerts and realized that the frigging sun melted part of one of my MK1's while harvesting.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 3, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

fromoutofnowhere posted:

Server is borked.

Someone keeps uploading blueprints. It was fine up until something changed on the game play end of the server. I guess i'll have to disable it for the time being. That way we can figure out if that's the cause.

I'll bring it up once I find the what part of the server config files handles blueprint uploads.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 3, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Triskelli posted:

Still trying to get a handle on the game, but would love to join Goonfleet shenanigans.

We have a pirate fleet (And a hilarious base. Oh god, the turrets. :stonk:) set up on C3W.

Also, going to bring the private server back up now that I set it to zero catalog usage. In exchange for that I boosted the starting credits from 25000 to 75000.

Also, if someone who had previously uploaded an item could tell me if you still have your ships, i'd be grateful.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 3, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Glorgnole posted:

The goon server is great when ~5 people are on, but it crashes and burns when more people show up so it's probably fine during off-peak hours.

I haven't noticed any lag on it since I disabled blueprints. Though maybe that'll change tonight.

So far it seems like the game flips out if you try to upload anything too large to the server, which forces the host to reboot the server to fix it. So i'm hoping that'll handle the issue. The actual process of running large ships doesn't seem to cause issues. It's just the generation and uploading to all computers that causes things to self destruct.

One way that might be around this is figuring out if we can manually put files in the server blueprint folder before loading the server. At which point creating a rar of files to have as "standard blueprints" might be doable. That'd at least remove the download part of it, even if it wouldn't handle uploading any relevant files to users. Though i'd need to check the blueprints system to see if that works.

Edit: And now it's lagging again. gently caress if I know what's going on at this point. Was running fine one second, and the next it's eating up all of my network's capacity.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 3, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So Zennik sent me a message offering to put the server on upgraded hardware. If we can figure out which files need to be transferred to keep all of your precious space work lovely abominations against the heavens, i'll take him up on the offer. That way no one loses anything on the private goon server.

Also, this game is a blast so far. Balance and resource hog issues aside, if Minecraft had been half this interactive and meaningful when it came to gameplay, i'd have never stopped playing it.

I actually devised a way to hollow out a planet to construct a hidden space base yesterday. The idea seems to work so far, and would be a great way to ambush players on higher pop servers.

Edit: So I did a little test. I zoned into the goon planet and tried to get it to load. Pings shot way up across the server and stayed there. Then I left the star system. Pings for all players promptly went down to manageable levels.

So apparently the periodic lag spikes have something to do with either loading planets, or the stuff we've built there. I'm not sure if other planets do this as well, but it explains why the lag comes and goes randomly I guess. Also explains why we can have 10+ people on, and have no lag, but suddenly it starts spiking hard before going away for half an hour.

Hopefully an upgrade to better hardware will fix all this.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 4, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Synnr posted:

The server in the OP?

I'm rebooting it with blueprints added back in now that we know that isn't the problem.

Edit: Should be available now.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

If they're still up, you can use my missile turrets if he's in the targeting arc to gently caress his ship up. I was careful to build each one so that it covers a specific arc approaching the station.

I'm also not sure if BOBBY AI blocks use the weapon loadout on them properly yet, since I haven't been able to organize a live test firing scenario. However when I manually fired the missiles (As long as you stay locked on they home in.) at junk ships that goons volunteered to die gloriously in piloted, they ripped apart entire battleships in a single salvo. Probably because each one fires 5 200-300+ damage homing missiles.

Also, it appears from the test I did that putting our station right next to the shop was a mistake. The reason being that one way to always safely defend our territory is to set the AI settings so that neutral is hostile to our faction. Which is probably the way most goons want to roll with the game in its current stage of development (Since there is no manual hostility declaration for independent players, and trading is iffy so far.) anyways.

The problem is that the turrets appeared to be targeting the shop since it was considered a neutral enemy. The shop is invincible, so this creates an issue where they ignore actual enemies. This means that a large number of our automated defenses are useless, along with any further defenses we make unless we create a ridiculously large sphere of defenses far out around the shop.

What's more, it appears that C3W does not have trade guild NPC's activated so far. I've been camped out on C3W for hours on end building for the past few days and i've yet to see a single trade guild ship. If i'm understanding the shop system correctly this means that the shop is useless to us. Eventually it will fill up with resources, meaning newbies can't sell anything to get cash anymore, and it'll eventually also run out of stuff to buy until the next reboot.

Also, i'm not sure if it was set to be so, but if someone sets up our station as a home base then they literally cannot harm it. Not sure if this counts for docked ships too, but if so I can work on building a huge docking ring to accommodate our ship needs. I started on one yesterday but stopped due to a lack of enhancers.

Edit: Another tip for newbies. When saving blueprints, if available save one variant locally with a faction module installed, and one without. This creates a cheaper early game variant you can use to tool around with after joining a server, and a mid/late game one that gives you the ability to identify as a goon. This'll be more useful once we actually get some system defenses that can fire on people trying to gank our space station. Especially since if we can get "set neutral to hostile" working, since most players will probably be independent people trying to gank ships nearby.

Also, just a heads up but you don't need to waste enhancers on huge connected bridges to docking spots. The way enhancers work, you tie them into a stacked block that creates a larger docking slot in the equivalent direction compared to where the docking core is.

IE: If you place a connected enhancer behind the core, it upgrades the docking space in that direction. If you place it beneath it, it'll add more space for ships above and below it. A lot of our enhancers (Someone built a huge connected area.) are wasted at the moment since they're not set up to use that, unfortunately.

Edit 2: And since people in game asked me to do it, here's how you create a factory and craft.

Setting up a factory:

A factory is currently controlled by two blocks. The factory input, and enhancer. There were/are other blocks, like particle presses, but I have no idea how to obtain them, or even if they're in. Regardless of which, they're not necessary to understand how the feature currently works.

To start crafting you first need to set up automated facilities to support the usage of recipes. To do this you must find either a planet, asteroid, or station. You cannot set up factory items on a ship yet, unfortunately. Once you have located one that you think looks cozy, you can place the blocks. The original tutorial recommended four inputs, but so far i've gotten along fine with one. I'll explain why later on in this guide.

Once you have an input slot down, you can look at placing enhancers. Enhancers double the output of a recipe by decreasing the time to craft an item. You can connect an enhancer to a factory input like any other block. IE: Press C to select the core, then V to connect the enhancer.

Once you've gotten that done, you've gotten your basic infrastructure. Now you need to move on to getting recipes.

Finding a recipe, or how this game actually has PVE content:

Recipes were originally standard hardcoded things. IE: You always knew that if you put ____ resources in, you'd get ____ output. A recent update changed it so that recipes are now randomly generated as items. This means that there are some really loving good recipes out there, and some really lovely ones.

You obtain recipes through several methods currently. You can find them in the storage lockers on pirate bases, as somewhat rare drops from pirate NPC's, in "abandoned ruins" (No idea what this is, but the wiki mentions them existing. Maybe a planetary feature?), and from shops.

In the case of all but the last thing, this requires you to explore the galaxy and/or do the equivalent of PVE combat. Stations, and especially pirate bases have an area on them that has storage lockers, the same that you can buy in the store. Destroying these will drop the loot inside. I'm not sure if destroying them also destroys some of the loot too, but that may also be a concern. You can circumvent that risk by finding the faction module and destroying it, releasing the station to free control. The faction module is always at wherever the "targeting" square is when you hit F to select a station in space. So just burrow your way into that area of the station with a ship if you want it.

Shops also sell recipes that tend towards being very useful in terms of their required resources. I've gotten three our four so far, and they've all only required level 1 resources. However, shop prices for resources are extremely expensive, requiring anywhere from 5000 to 10000 of the same item you want to make a recipe out of to get a recipe to make more. Thus, the shop method is usually best done by groups of people who want to pool their resources together.

Regardless, recipes are the "high end" items of the game. Having a library of them means you can basically circumvent difficulties with shops. As such, you really don't want to lose them once you've got them.

Producing an item with a recipe:

Once you have a recipe, you can right click it to see what resources it produces. You simply put the recipe in the top left slot of the factory's inventory after opening it, and the resources next to it. It will then periodically output the item the recipe makes into the factory inventory if all of the recipe's items are present, until it runs out of items to craft with.

Keep in mind that that one input block can only handle one recipe at a time. So this is why you might want more than one factory input. That way you can have multiple recipes running from salvaging ops. This isn't actually necessary until you have more than one recipe being used in the faction however.

Why you actually want to use the crafting system:

Shops have a limited supply of blocks, and getting materials from being a pirate is financially lucrative but can be spotty if you need a certain item. Getting a recipe removes the need for that. Also, since it's possible to get recipes that output items for cheap, it can basically be an infinite money printer for everyone in the faction. Or it can just unlock the ability to easily do ridiculous construction projects, like a planet made out of nothing but a poo poo-ton of guns.

So basically, the game really is like EVE Online. The guys who understand how to use recipes efficiently have far higher production capabilities than the guys who just use shops and pirating only. Recipes are even a lot like blueprints in that game, in that a low cost high output one for a valuable item basically lets you break the game in your favor.

I imagine if money and the money related exploits (Like spawning in and disassembling a giant star destroyer for cash.) are fixed, they'll become extremely valuable as well since the ways to circumvent the "construction" part of projects will be removed. This is already apparent on a lot of blueprint-less servers, where it seems like being a cut-throat bastard really pays off if you want to be rolling around in moon sized planet devourers.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 4, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

YellerBill posted:

There's no storage crates in those. Try the hostile pirate stations, they look like big wheels.

Really? I assumed they both had them given what the wiki and forums said, but that makes sense I guess. I'll change my post to reflect that.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

There's a ship blueprint on the website called the infinity: http://star-made.org/node/578

It's a relatively cheap mining ship and is it actually much faster than a using a build block.
If you absolutely need to evaporate a planet, check it out.

It's fairly easy to make something faster than a build block. At the very least using salvagers won't give you carpal tunnel. Never mind that the build block thing is almost certainly an exploit that'll get patched out at some point.

Since zennik gave me the details to access and host on a better server, i'm going to shut the one i'm hosting down and try to figure out which files are needed to transfer over to ensure no one loses their progress. Figured i'd post a heads up here since people were wondering why it was down the last time I rebooted it. I'll post the address once I figure out which of these folders and files needs to be transferred to keep the server from self destructing.

Edit: Whelp. I guess giving a heads up didn't help at all. :v:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 4, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

eviljimmy posted:

Ok well that does sound awesome.

Anyone know when the other goon server is going up? or has our normal one just crashed?

I'm still transferring it. After a bit of examination, I realized that the required server files are spread over multiple folders, so there was no easy way to transfer everything over without it being a pain. Unfortunately, by the time I realized that it was about 5AM, so I decided to get some rest before finishing up with the transfer.

At this point i'm just going to dump the entire Starmade folder onto the server provided, along with the launcher. Otherwise I can't guarantee that things like blueprints and server settings will be consistent. Once I can get onto it to upload the files it should go up.

Edit: Uploading the files now. Says it'll take about an hour. Probably due to all the objects that were generated via sector exploration.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 4, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

New server is up at 8.22.12.152:4242.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Admins can spawn more pirates in, including massive raids of 'em.

edit: Also, carrier ships are great to give to pirates, as you have the carrier and however many fighters it has to deal with for each pirate spawn.

How do you go about spawning pirates?

Now that the server should hopefully be a bit more stable, perhaps i'll invite a pirate controlled Unicron to come check out our homeworld. I'm sure some insane individual has made something like that so far. :getin:

Edit: Goddamnit. Somehow I double posted. Oh well, i'll make the best of it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 4, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

How far along are the mod capabilities for this game? I see a tab, but I don't see much in the way of support listed on the site so far.

I kind of want to do a Minecraft-esque "NPC town" mod, and work prefab and catalog functionality in for pirates, letting them build new stations and ships. It'd sure as hell spice up "explored" areas on the server. Though I have no idea if it's doable yet.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Demerzel posted:

Goon server needs the pirates fixed, everything is spawning in missile_turret or something like that. Missile turrets don't work and neither do pirates "flying" them.

I gave them heavyfighter_bare and they have a couple others but all I ever see is that one. Just delete it since the concept doesn't even work right now. It's lame as hell to have pirates that can't fire or even fly.

It'd be nice to know which weapons and items the pirates can use. I know the forums say that they can use one missile type, it's just not made clear which.

Edit: The turret and the salvage boxes were mine, if it was the thing loaded with about 50 lasers. I made them on C3W, and saved them locally for dicking around on other servers and reproducing for goons that wanted to salvage stuff in insanely large amounts. I didn't think the AI would be stupid enough to use them for pirates, though it's hilarious that they did. :v:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Infinium posted:

Yeah I was on playing, and it lost connection to the server. So I'm guessing it went down or something.. :shrug:

Just got a heads up about it, so I rebooted it. Let me know if it doesn't work.

Edit: Actually, updating it first, then putting it back up.

Edit 2: Should be up now. Let me know if there's any problems connecting. Apparently the game decided to adopt a somewhat different file structure after updating.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 11, 2013

• Locked thread