Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Its Claws in this one, and yeah the Claws and Armblades were my favorite weapons when I played through the game. I just loved the way Death moved while flying around clawing and armblading at people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Edo Animus posted:

In no sooner than the very next part we'll be murdering Gorewood, so yes.

Oh man, excellent. This next area was where I really decided I was going to love this game, and looking back on it I think a fair part of that was just happening upon Gorewood chilling in his secret little lair. I hadn't even beaten Thane by that point, so I didn't have any clue what this guy's deal was, and I think that was actually the ideal progression of events for me as a player because I loved that this was a game where I could just stumble upon this random semi-secret boss tucked away somewhere?

Basically what I'm saying is I can't wait for the next part to be up. :allears:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
The only thing this game is missing (and most Zelda-likes, really) is a feature where you can mark on the map locations that are currently inaccessible because you're missing some sort of powerup.

It's infuriating how many times I'd run across a clearly secret area, but I didn't have the prereq skill and I knew that 3 hours later there'd be no way that I would remember about it. The stones of power were particularly assholeish about this.

Batman: Arkham City had something like that with Riddler trophies, which I loved (then they made it completely worthless by adding the Riddler informants, but whatever).

Edit: also, is there any recommended stat to max out to completely break the game with weapons? You mentioned Strength in one of the videos, anything else?

Edit 2: I've apparently forgotten how to type.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 19, 2013

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

The only thing this game is missing (and most Zelda-likes, really) is a feature where you can mark on the map locations that are currently inaccessible because you're missing some sort of powerup...

...any recommended stat to max out to completely break the game with weapons? You mentioned Strenght (sic) in one of the videos, anything else?

The collectibles in the game are a pain for sure. I'm glad that they have a purpose other than just padding, though; collecting each of the different types nets you various rewards like items, weapons, and stat boosts. It is best to follow a guide or (as I'm doing) use a map that has the collectibles on it and check them off in Photoshop.

Humorously, there's an iPhone app for Darksiders 2 that has interactive maps for the whole game and a collectible list you can check off as you go. I've not used it since I don't have an iphone or the willingness to pay for something free on GameFAQS.

To your second question, the most broken stat for weapons is Health Steal and Wrath Steal. We won't be seeing this very rare stat appear until way later in the game, but a high Health/Wrath stealing scythe will restore 100% of your health and wrath with each hit (not each combo, mind you, but each time you throw the scythes around at all, and touch something, you'll be instantly healed). We won't be using those until the end of the game. In fact, these types are so rare that we'll probably be spending all of our money later on finding these things. If you see one at a vendor for, say, 100K, it is totally worth selling most everything that you have to get it, in my opinion.

Before getting to the stealing stats, execution is a great stat to have because executions are both fun and damage efficient. Also, critical chance can do a lot more for the DPS on a weapon than strength/arcane bonuses (as evidenced by the Chaos Scythes).

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg7YC7gAx4Q

Our next major goal is the Cauldron, but we'll only be visiting long enough to say hi to Karn. The meat of this episode is the Weeping Crag, one of Darksiders 2's many mini dungeons. One of Thane's assassination targets, Gorewood, hides deep beneath the crag so, naturally, we head down there and kill him.

Fighting Gorewood is not recommended at level 4, but I'm not going to unlearn what Dark Souls has taught me, i.e. if you can do damage and have invincibility frames in your roll, then you can kill anything. At the end of the video is a new segment I like to call "here's something broken from the part we just played". There will be many, many more to come.

Let's see what Karn is all about :

Karn, also known as "Pup", is a young maker with dreams of being a hero. He helps Death throughout his stay in the Forgelands and has some very good sarcastic dialog.

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart
Only just started watching the video, but it already looks much better than the previous ones, so thank you for cranking up the bit rate. Very much appreciated.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Edo Animus posted:

if you can do damage and have invincibility frames in your roll, then you can kill anything.

Truer words have never been said.

Also yeah, video quality is noticably improved.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
I wouldn't really say the video quality has improved much. It's actually kind of annoying that 1080p is so blurry/artifact-y. Assuming this is coming from a console and not PC with a controller, why not just record at 720p? You're not really juicing YouTube's 1080p codec for much if you supply it with a (perceivably) low bitrate and upscaled video.

These videos would look far better with decent 720p encoding vs upscaling (which I'm assuming you're doing, unless this is 1080i? :s).

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Armour is generally divided in 3 types.

Melee centric armour gets :black101: names like Slayer or Executioner and typically looks like it's made out of plate metal and bones.
All round armour is called Wanderer or Vagabond and consists of mostly cloth and leather.
Spellcasting armour has names like Sage or Warlock and mainly consists of cloth with more and more bling as you get higher level versions of it.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Asehujiko posted:

Armour is generally divided in 3 types.

Melee centric armour gets :black101: names like Slayer or Executioner and typically looks like it's made out of plate metal and bones.
All round armour is called Wanderer or Vagabond and consists of mostly cloth and leather.
Spellcasting armour has names like Sage or Warlock and mainly consists of cloth with more and more bling as you get higher level versions of it.

The name also indicates what the bonuses are; I forget which is which but for example's sake we'll say Sage armor increases Arcane, so any piece of Sage armor will have some level of +Arcane.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do the special drops you get, like the hammer or the DLC stuff, scale with you beyond the minimum level for equipment, or would that defeat the purpose of being Diablo?

Also, is it actually possible to grind out levels? Do enemies respawn anywhere? Or is the leveling system just there to let you pick your own difficulty level for the optional challenges?

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Enemies respawn pretty much everywhere if I recall, or at least the "field" areas, but as he said, if you out-level and enemy, it's worth no experience.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Glazius posted:

Do the special drops you get, like the hammer or the DLC stuff, scale with you beyond the minimum level for equipment, or would that defeat the purpose of being Diablo?

No, afaik no items scale in DS2 and all unique equipment is preset with a fixed level and stats. Unique equipment is usually way more powerful than anything else of a similar level and because its fixed you can plan your game around certain choice pieces of awesome loot (like that hammer we just got) but you will outlevel it eventually.

Glazius posted:

Also, is it actually possible to grind out levels? Do enemies respawn anywhere? Or is the leveling system just there to let you pick your own difficulty level for the optional challenges?

All enemies respawn everywhere, but you only get XP from killing enemies of your level or higher, so while you can grind out levels if you want you can only do that if you're underlevelled for the area you're in and because loot is scaled to your level on generation there is no reason to ever be underlevelled.

Playing DS2 normally you'll spend most of your time fighting enemies of your level or your level +1, most enemies die easily, bosses are tough but not too hard. DS2 gives you the option of diving facefirst into encounters way more powerful than you but there's no reason to do so beyond inflating your ego by deliberately doing things to hard way.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

How much experience did they get out of the tree man, since he outleveled them so much?

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Looks like about 1/3 of a level.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Seeing Gorewood (or whatever tree monster's name is) cheesed like that so early in the game was a real treat, especially since I didn't know it could be killed like that. I kind of regret trading my copy in a while back, because now I want to try that. It's a shame all the xp that early didn't power level Death, though.

TGYR
Nov 5, 2012

Lotish posted:

How much experience did they get out of the tree man, since he outleveled them so much?
Before the fight he had 329 experience, afterwards he had 565, both out of the 648 to reach the next level. So 236 experience, or 36% of the level.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

That's a bummer. Going out of depth that much should be worth 2 levels minimum

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Real hurthling! posted:

That's a bummer. Going out of depth that much should be worth 2 levels minimum

As previously mentioned; Darksiders 2 doesn't really reward you for taking the hard way. It gives you the option but said option is pretty much purely for your own enjoyment.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Also max level is like 30, and the game can be beaten in the low 20's no problem.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcYNy7rF4ew

Part 5 is finally here, hooray! Real life got in the way on this one what with moving across the country and the glory of waiting on Comcast to flip the magic internet switch. Oh well, the internet is flowing properly and videos can continue to be produced.

The Makers have directed Death towards the Cauldron in order to reignite the Fires of the Mountain - the first of two tasks in order to get the Maker's Forge up and running again. Not content with merely traversing a dungeon, Death decides to use some fancy tricks to break out of bounds and skip most of the Cauldron. But don't worry, we go back and do it the "correct" way.

The much easier paused version of the infinite jump is shown off here as well. Credit goes to Findlesticks for discovering it. Watch the menu / pausing infinite jump here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4e0Bs6SE18

The Cauldron skip is credited to TehLordson, here is his non infinite jump version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MerHo3rwnaU

The rest of the glitches, hard locks, and out-of-bounds areas were found by me.

Achievements in the episode:
Looks Familiar - 36:10
Fire of the Mountain - 37:18
Grim Reaping - 37:25

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
It's kind of funny how they put the crank to open up the lava river just out of Death's reach when he walked in the front door, and the giant man twice his height who could just clamber up that ledge light a low fence "failed" to get there.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

I always laughed at the blatantly not-an-obstacle fences like the one we had to solve that ball puzzle to get through. I mean, come on, he clearly wouldn't even have to turn sideways to fit through there.

Iny fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 6, 2013

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Iny posted:

I always laughed at the blatantly not-an-obstacle fences like the one we had to solve that ball puzzle to get through. I mean, come on, he clearly wouldn't even have to turn sideways to fit through there.

Death has lived in the Darksiders universe for a very long time, he knows the rules and how to follow them and one of those rules is that when you find a mysterious puzzle left by an ancient dead\dying civilization you solve that thing properly by infinite airdashing, not by walking through the huge gaps between the 'fence'.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Please, Jeff already explained that there was an invisible wall. Clearly the "fence" was just a set of ectoplasmic field generators that created a harmonic barrier at a frequency beyond the visible spectrum through which physical and spectral matter cannot travel. That's why he couldn't jump over once it was partially lowered--the field extends beyond the physical presence of the generators themselves. Otherwise what good would it be!?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Lotish posted:

Please, Jeff already explained that there was an invisible wall. Clearly the "fence" was just a set of ectoplasmic field generators that created a harmonic barrier at a frequency beyond the visible spectrum through which physical and spectral matter cannot travel. That's why he couldn't jump over once it was partially lowered--the field extends beyond the physical presence of the generators themselves. Otherwise what good would it be!?

Something something nanomachines?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Something something nanomachines?

Wrong universe.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I am continually disappointed that you never buttstomp doors open, just because it always looks like you're going to.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPqYYAMw4BA

Last time, Death acquired the floating gun, Redemption. Although it no longer floats, it does have infinite ammo, so I think the trade off is acceptable. Death rides to the Fjord in order to open up the waters of the Drenchfort - just not yet. Before that, some things need to be collected and another of the many mini dungeons needs to be plundered.

The Shattered Forge is a very grey place, but does feature a new enemy, so there's that.

And if you're particularly neurotic about time spent in menus, the part where running around and cutting fools happens is about nine minutes in.

We get to feed our first possessed weapon in this episode and I couldn't be more stoked - they are the best part of the game. By feeding red weapons other weapons and armor we can improve their abilities and add new ones as we see fit. Possessed weapons are the reason that the end game is so pathetically easy; we'll eventually be making weapons that give 100% health and wrath on each combo (but that's later). Beyond break the difficulty curve, the other important feature is that they can be renamed.

I expect, nay, demand clever literary references or puns (or both) for each new possessed weapon!

If anyone has any good ideas for weapon names then feel free to contribute. To get an idea, there are Scythes, Axes, Maces, Glaives, Hammers, Gauntlets, Armblades, Claws, The One I Always Forget, and they can come in a variety of flavors such as fire, ice, lightning etc.

Some of the names I used in my original playthrough were Parasite Adam (scythes that stole health) and Mjolnir (lightning hammer - a bit obvious but couldn't be passed up).

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
You do realize that The One I Always Forget should be The One I Always Forget, right? Just add a descriptive adjective in the front and you're golden. :v:

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
So, literary puns? I know my project for this weekend now.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Name a Mace "Of Mace and Men."

TGYR
Nov 5, 2012
I'm not sure if it's an audio bug, the voice actor misspeaking, or just me mishearing it every single time, but I swear to God while talking to Blackroot that Death says "Your people lie on the brink of struction" and it bothers me every time.

I'd also like to submit "Smournstein" as a name if you ever happen upon a Hammer with Lightning damage.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The one you always forget are Bucklers btw.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
I might have missed you mentioning it, but do the coffins from your ghoul minions hurt enemies if they hit them when summoning the ghouls?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So what is it you say at the beginning of your videos? saoate? I want to know!

Reive
May 21, 2009

Ramadu posted:

So what is it you say at the beginning of your videos? saoate? I want to know!

Salvete!
It's a Latin greeting.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
It's not a sword, but anything with high execution chance should be called Terminus Est.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
What happens if you feed a possessed weapon to another possessed weapon?
Also, I ask that you name a polearm "Longinus"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Name a weapon with a very high attack speed but lower damage "Lorem Ipsum."

• Locked thread