Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Dooky Dingo posted:

What happens if you feed a possessed weapon to another possessed weapon?

Its just worth a lot of XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
As far as naming weapons go, I'd just be happy if someone made a Private Eye reference. Perhaps Gauntlets could be called "Tired and Emotional", or an axe could make some reference to (hur hur) "Ugandan Discussions". Sadly, I think "Pressdram V Arkell" won't fit... Oh well, enjoying the LP any which way!

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
Get axe. Name it "a Question". Let hilarity ensue as you run that joke into the ground for an entire episode. Or four.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
No possessed guns? I was hoping for a return of the "Flesh Rifle" from the Doom 64 LP. My only other idea is a hammer named "Maxwell's Silver" but if 13 is the character limit, it's not gonna fit, and it doesn't work as well without the "silver" part.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Dooky Dingo posted:

Get axe. Name it "a Question". Let hilarity ensue as you run that joke into the ground for an entire episode. Or four.

Axing people questions never gets old.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I hope we don't end up fighting Corrupted Karn at some point, just because it's kind of too obvious.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I think 'Chillotine' would work well for another frost weapon, since scythe's already taken. Maybe a glaive?

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWYms__wyiA

The next proper dungeon is the Drenchfort. David rightly guessed that it is the "water temple" for lack of a better description. Actually, "aqueduct temple" might be a better description. There are things what need get shot in the face and now that Death has Redemption, he can comply.

The usual glitch corner at the end has been moved to its own video for the Drenchfort, so look forward to the Part 7 bonus which will include the many ways I found to glitch outside of the dungeon (i.e. the methods not demonstrated in the video already).

Current List of Possible Stupid Weapon Names:

The One I Always Forget (Buckler)
Of Mace and Men (Mace)
Smournstein (Lightning Hammer)
Maxwell's Silver (Hammer)
A Question (Axe)
Terminus Est (Execution Scythes)
Longinus (Glaive)
Lorem Ipsum (Any Fast)
Chillotine (Any Frost)

Currently Used Stupid Weapon Names:

Sonia's Blade (Equinox reference, not Mortal Kombat!)

The character limit for weapon names if 13 (including spaces and special characters)!

Gygaxian posted:

I might have missed you mentioning it, but do the coffins from your ghoul minions hurt enemies if they hit them when summoning the ghouls?

I think we might see that in this very episode! :D

Glazius posted:

I hope we don't end up fighting Corrupted Karn at some point, just because it's kind of too obvious.

I won't say one way or the other about Karn, but what if you got to fight a corrupted Gharn? Note: Gharn is a completely new and different character from both Karn and Gorn which we saw earlier.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
The Shocker (Lightning gauntlets) :getin:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Edo Animus posted:

The One I Always Forget (Buckler)

The character limit for weapon names if 13 (including spaces and special characters)!

drat, "Forgotten One" fits the character limit, but sounds like something out of a 90's comic and not a cheesy name.

What about "Buckle Up!"?

"Of Mace and Men" and "The Shocker" have my vote though.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Here's a name for a Glaive; 'Stabs'

That way you can show them your Stabs, hurr hurr

e; I love how this dungeon is all desaturated and colourless at first and then you find the Tears of the Mountain which glow blue and restore all the colour to the area. It's such a wonderful effect.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 22, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

How about an axe called "Cleaver Pun?"

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Lotish posted:

How about an axe called "Cleaver Pun?"

Call it "Generous Cleavage"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Alas, that is too long.

EiceBleu
Jul 6, 2012

Lotish posted:

Alas, that is too long.

I would've called it too generous, but perhaps that was too easy?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

"A Sword"

Best if not actually a sword.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Ooh name the Bucklers Shield & Shield :D

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Hahaha, just got to the colour palette change bit. What are you guys doing to this poor game?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
A mace called "Thud" and an axe named "Thwack" and gauntlets called "Slap of Pimp" or just "Pimpslap"?

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.
I'm loving this LP so far, but I really am haunted by that intro music. Is that on the soundtrack for the game or is it something different?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
The God Hand

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

bobthethurd posted:

I'm loving this LP so far, but I really am haunted by that intro music. Is that on the soundtrack for the game or is it something different?

The Intro music is an edit of "War vs. Death (The Crowfather)" from the Darksiders 2 soundtrack. The ending music is "Eternity" which is the dungeon track I like quite a bit.

TheJeffAndDavidShow bumper music comes from my game, The Logomancer.

The soundtrack to my game can be downloaded for free, by the way!

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Just to update you guys, I'm just waiting until the forgelands are completed before I post some more concept art, so I can have enough content to compare to my last post.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Sub Zero Wins Chilling Mace (Not an MK reference)
Veni Huc Glaive (get over here in latin) [Not an MK reference]
Fatal Iti Execution Scythes (Not an MK reference)
Raiden's Fury Lightning Mace (Not an MK reference)
Mortal Combat Execution Weapon (Not an MK reference)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Edo Animus posted:

The Intro music is an edit of "War vs. Death (The Crowfather)" from the Darksiders 2 soundtrack. The ending music is "Eternity" which is the dungeon track I like quite a bit.

TheJeffAndDavidShow bumper music comes from my game, The Logomancer.

The soundtrack to my game can be downloaded for free, by the way!

Well, your guys' intro on these LP's are seriously awesome. Very professional without being overblown.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, one of the things I really loved about the Syndicate LP was the intros.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Of course the lost temple is on the map. How else would you know where to find it?

Geez, it's like you never played a video game.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Glazius posted:

Geez, it's like you never played a video game.
The way this game unapologetically embraces it's videogame-ness in it's world and enemy/boss designs (mostly by straight up copying zelda) was actually really endearing to me.

And as much as i hate the "0% red" color filter used in these levels, this playthrough reminded me how much i love the world's painterly art and saturated color design - it feels like the childish heavy-metal world of something like Brutal Legend with 100 times the budget and the occasional breathtakingly beautiful vista (although most of that is still to come). :unsmith:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Darksiders Universe always brought to mind "Legend of Biblical Warhammer" (Zelda + Warhammer 40k + Bible).

GmanTheTank
Feb 25, 2013

Enough expository banter! It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men!
Barely into the LP and I've already been convinced to buy the game.

My only concern is how much grinding needs to be done? I assume if you're good at dodging and timing skill usage it won't be too necessary, but the randomly generated loot throws a wrench into the works.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Zero grinding is neccessary. I finished the entire game on normal without ever grinding. In fact grinding is often a waste of time because you don't really get useful stuff from lower level enemies.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

GmanTheTank posted:

Barely into the LP and I've already been convinced to buy the game.

My only concern is how much grinding needs to be done? I assume if you're good at dodging and timing skill usage it won't be too necessary, but the randomly generated loot throws a wrench into the works.

Also, the possessed weapon drops are completely random. I have gotten quite far into the game and I still haven't seen one drop for me, the one I have got I ended buying from the merch that sells them.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Do the different sets of armour in this game ever look...different from one another? I've noticed a few minor differences, but they're always in the same style to which death is accustomed, shirtless, guantlets, etc. Is there any gear that gives him a different look?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

McKilligan posted:

Do the different sets of armour in this game ever look...different from one another? I've noticed a few minor differences, but they're always in the same style to which death is accustomed, shirtless, guantlets, etc. Is there any gear that gives him a different look?

I don't think anything changes his look entirely but some of the higher level armour types do look pretty funky. I'm pretty sure he stays shirtless though.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Death will never cover that area with the green gems, but he doesn't stay completely shirtless. Also, I've gotten 4 Possessed Weapon drops and just beaten the Karkian. Or whatever the Hill-Crab's name was. :smug:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The random loot drops and thus random chance of getting a good set of possessed weapons or not would probably matter a whole lot more if possessed weapons were actually needed and didn't break the game into thousands of tiny little pieces.

LoveableKender
May 9, 2013
I was pretty bummed that I only got two Possessed Weapons in two of my run throughs. I kept hoping with every chest but alas, it was not to be.

Good to see some more glitchy game breaky goodness again, the play test parts were some of my favourite in Darksiders 1 LP. I managed a couple myself, my favourite being the one where one of the bosses knocked me under the level. Surprisingly amusing to continuously shoot a guy for 10 minutes while he feebly runs through all his attacks animations.

As for names of weapons. Perhaps a pair of Scythes called: Deaths' Tithes.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

How bout scythes called : Two Cents.
and a Buckler named Sue.

Also is it possible to upgrade the gun? I don't know why they made it a fixed thing. Would have been cool to have it randomized as well.

LoveableKender
May 9, 2013
I don't remember a gun upgrade. As to why it is fixed, well in Darksiders 1 War got a gun called Mercy. Mercy and Redemption both belong to Strife, their brother. I'm sure it'll be explained why Strife just left his main weapons lying around the universe in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Triplescoopsundae posted:

I don't remember a gun upgrade. As to why it is fixed, well in Darksiders 1 War got a gun called Mercy. Mercy and Redemption both belong to Strife, their brother. I'm sure it'll be explained why Strife just left his main weapons lying around the universe in the future.

Probably not since the franchise has been discontinued :<

I hope it gets picked up again, I really do like the Darksiders universe.

• Locked thread