Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

So, I'm in Albanaia and I have a question for you Gigi.

How do you feel supporting Milan. Just like (almost) EVERY. SINGLE. ALBANIAN.

Seriously, every loving albanian here supports Milan. I don't know why, all I know is that they are many, and I would not want to see that group of Ultras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Soulex posted:

So, I'm in Albanaia and I have a question for you Gigi.

How do you feel supporting Milan. Just like (almost) EVERY. SINGLE. ALBANIAN.

Seriously, every loving albanian here supports Milan. I don't know why, all I know is that they are many, and I would not want to see that group of Ultras.

I don't know, the same way a Glaswegian feels about every dork in Boston MA wearing a Celtic shirt?

It's funny you say that though, I have an Albanian friend who's a die hard Milan supporter too. I don't know why, I never asked. I imagine it has something to do with Milan being a very good team at the time when Albania started to consume global media.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

You know, now that I think of it there's probably another reason. The guy that owns Taçi Oil is Albanian and they're a pretty big sponsor of a lot of Milan things. I bet Milan just has a lot of exposure in general in Albania given that he must be one of Albania's richest people.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

That might play a part into it. It's weird. I've only met 2 Albanians that followed football and did not love Milan, My uncle and my cousin (in law types). Who like Lazio and Liverpool respectively. My cousin in law works for Taci oil actually. I also have another cousin in law whose dad owns some part of a bigger oil company here. Not sure it's Taci and I'm positive it's not the main boss hoss. The only time I hung out with him was drunk during weddings where he showed me his gun, then the next few days where we had a couple more drinks and got to talking about guns.

I'll be in Florence next week. Looking at picking up one of the new kits. I also plan on seeing the stadium before I leave. Doubt they'll be doing anything though.

First game is at home, and I'm going to beg work to let me go.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I went to Albania multiple times, and I don't remember seeing a lot of Milan stuff. Maybe I wasn't looking for it.

But yeah, the oil guy wanted to buy Milan, so it must be important to a lot of people there.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Duro posted:

I went to Albania multiple times, and I don't remember seeing a lot of Milan stuff. Maybe I wasn't looking for it.

But yeah, the oil guy wanted to buy Milan, so it must be important to a lot of people there.

It isn't so much everywhere (there are some shops that sell fake Milan Towels and stuff) but really it's just talking about the game that brings up them grinning and saying Milan.

What brought you to Albania?

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I worked for some Albanians for a few years, they were not Milan fans but told me everybody back home was. They were of the Kosovo persuasion and showed me their hometown team and told me their colors were red and black for Milan. A lot of Albanians are Milan fans because, according to my ex-employers, they get Italian media and because of those golden years in the 90s. So Taci oil was apparently not a cause of Milan's success in Albania, but an effect of it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

grvm posted:

I worked for some Albanians for a few years, they were not Milan fans but told me everybody back home was. They were of the Kosovo persuasion and showed me their hometown team and told me their colors were red and black for Milan. A lot of Albanians are Milan fans because, according to my ex-employers, they get Italian media and because of those golden years in the 90s. So Taci oil was apparently not a cause of Milan's success in Albania, but an effect of it.
Yeah, Albania was communist until 1990 and my wife told me they could get some Italian channels if they were lucky with their antennae. I'm guessing that plays a huge part in it. Especially seeing that Milan won 5 Scudetti during that time. It's the National colors too, but that kind of makes it sound like the typical American "Who has the best uniforms" and supports them.

poo poo, I almost joined the Marines because they had the coolest dress uniform. Plus you get a sword.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Zamparini is at it already - the Director Amoruso has been fired within a month and a half of being hired.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

canepazzo posted:

Zamparini is at it already - the Director Amoruso has been fired within a month and a half of being hired.

lol Gattuso is so hosed

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Zamp must have had an itchy trigger finger after seeing Bari fire their manager after being on the job for less than 3 weeks.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Serie A has the best club presidents by far :)

So many characters

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Soulex posted:

Yeah, Albania was communist until 1990 and my wife told me they could get some Italian channels if they were lucky with their antennae. I'm guessing that plays a huge part in it. Especially seeing that Milan won 5 Scudetti during that time. It's the National colors too, but that kind of makes it sound like the typical American "Who has the best uniforms" and supports them.

(hint: even in Serie B, it's still Palermo)

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

El Hefe posted:

Serie A has the best club presidents by far :)

So many characters

Quick, someone convince Gigi Becali to invest in a middling Serie A club to make things even crazier/better.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Troy Queef posted:

Quick, someone convince Gigi Becali to invest in a middling Serie A club to make things even crazier/better.

It'd be nice to have another convicted criminal to keep Berlusconi company.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Is Juve Inter gonna be worth a watch what is the champions cup??

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
It would also really round out our team of owners, I don't know if we really have a world class outspoken racist mysogonists, really would make us title favorites Imo. If he came to Italy we'd really shove those gypsies back up their mothers.

Remember boys: strong men don't listen to their wives.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Soulex posted:

It isn't so much everywhere (there are some shops that sell fake Milan Towels and stuff) but really it's just talking about the game that brings up them grinning and saying Milan.

What brought you to Albania?

My dad worked for Italian foreign affairs, got sent to an Embassy and Consulate there for work, so I visited him. The country changed a lot between the first time I went (~2000) and the last time I went (~2009)

But I didn't speak to a lot of locals, we were kind of sheltered there a little. Lord knows what would have happened to us if we didn't have diplomatic plates on our cars hahaha

It was a bit of a culture shock for me, to say the least. It also didn't help that I'm blonde haired and blue eyed, so I stuck out like a sore thumb anywhere I went.

Duro fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 6, 2013

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

They've been poo poo teh whole tournament and so have Inter, so probably no. That said it's never a nice game between them, so maybe it'll be surprising. Tevez and Llorente are both out of shape and Mazzarri is still figuring out what to do with the squad.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

The only reason to watch that match is that whoever loses, gets last place in a tournament that had L.A. Galaxy in it.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

It's been a decent tournament. Real Madrid - Chelsea final tomorrow is *gets out calculator* 39% like a real match.

Italians rule

late edit, thought this was the friendly thread lol

Hegay fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 7, 2013

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

canepazzo posted:

The only reason to watch that match is that whoever loses, gets last place in a tournament that had L.A. Galaxy in it.

Yeah I think that the fact that both teams have been terrible might make it a case where they'll both give a poo poo to not finish in last place. Earlier this morning I read that Conte will start the full first team, not sure if that's actually the case though.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Cagliari will return to the Sant'Elia in October. Until then it looks like they'll play in Trieste again.

http://football-italia.net/38076/cagliari-agree-santelia-return

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Heh:

quote:

Conte: "When the president asks me to win the Guinness Cup, we'll be prepared accordingly."

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Interesting article on the Corriere dello Sport re: Inter's transfer window.

Apparently, since they are in a negotiation to sell part of its shares to Thohir, the value of the good being traded has to remain fixed or as close to. Thus, they are only "allowed" to loan players in or out until that deal is sealed (or if negotiations break down).

I'm as ignorant as it comes on such high-profile economics, so no idea if true, but it makes sense to me.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Yeah dude, sounds legit, because in FM if you're in a board takeover situation you can't negotiate any deals, iirc.
(I really have no idea, but FM does try to be "realistic" so......)

Allegri sad Juve don't know how to take a joke the other day, Nedved said "Juve takes everything seriously, we don't want to be nice. We want to win." lol

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

canepazzo posted:

Interesting article on the Corriere dello Sport re: Inter's transfer window.

Apparently, since they are in a negotiation to sell part of its shares to Thohir, the value of the good being traded has to remain fixed or as close to. Thus, they are only "allowed" to loan players in or out until that deal is sealed (or if negotiations break down).

I'm as ignorant as it comes on such high-profile economics, so no idea if true, but it makes sense to me.

Hm, just read today that Rolando's agent said that Rolando will be joining Inter in the coming days on a loan with an option to buy so this makes sense.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Hegav posted:

Hm, just read today that Rolando's agent said that Rolando will be joining Inter in the coming days on a loan with an option to buy so this makes sense.

Yeah I've also read that, also that Wallace from Chelseas is going to Inter on loan as well.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

European update.

Milan - PSV

Fiorentina - Grasshopper
Udinese - Slovan Liberec

Not bad draws for any of them, really. I think Milan will play first out of all of them, the away leg is on the 20th.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

PSV would have been a difficult pick at the start of the transfer window, now not so much having sold their best.

Last time we got Grasshoppers in the then Uefa Cup we got kicked out despite winning 2-0 in Zurich, and leading 2-1 in the half time of the 2nd leg. This is why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nzoHRh1nFQ

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

canepazzo posted:

PSV would have been a difficult pick at the start of the transfer window, now not so much having sold their best.

Last time we got Grasshoppers in the then Uefa Cup we got kicked out despite winning 2-0 in Zurich, and leading 2-1 in the half time of the 2nd leg. This is why:

:stare:

Why was this being played in Salerno? Also lol at the tags at the end of the description.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

The story behind it is even better. When reality surpasses fiction.

Fiorentina's pitch was disqualified for incidents in the last European cup match, Cup Winners cup semifinal vs Barcelona.

3 years later we're playing in a European cup again, and we have to play like the first three or four matches in a neutral ground. They decide to play in Salerno, because :

A) Fiorentina-Salerno was the serie A match the Sunday before, so they were hoping to improve relations between the two teams and have some of their supporters come cheer us on
B) there had been a massive flood in Sarno, near Salerno, and IIRC we offered to give the match takings to the relief effort; again, PR.

This all sounds like a great plan except...

In the Fiorentina-Salerno match, we won 4-0, so pretty humiliating. Additionally, a big group of Fiorentina fans and a small group of Salernitana fans came to blows and obviously the Salernitana fans got the worst of it.

They promised they'd get back at us.

They did.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

canepazzo posted:

The story behind it is even better. When reality surpasses fiction.

Fiorentina's pitch was disqualified for incidents in the last European cup match, Cup Winners cup semifinal vs Barcelona.

3 years later we're playing in a European cup again, and we have to play like the first three or four matches in a neutral ground. They decide to play in Salerno, because :

A) Fiorentina-Salerno was the serie A match the Sunday before, so they were hoping to improve relations between the two teams and have some of their supporters come cheer us on
B) there had been a massive flood in Sarno, near Salerno, and IIRC we offered to give the match takings to the relief effort; again, PR.

This all sounds like a great plan except...

In the Fiorentina-Salerno match, we won 4-0, so pretty humiliating. Additionally, a big group of Fiorentina fans and a small group of Salernitana fans came to blows and obviously the Salernitana fans got the worst of it.

They promised they'd get back at us.

They did.

This is insane, and it's also one of those things I can see happening again. I either had forgotten about this entirely or had never heard of it. Crazy.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

canepazzo posted:

How much damage did that thing do?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Italy squad for the Papal friendly vs. Argentina

Portieri: Buffon (Juventus), Marchetti (Lazio), Sirigu (Paris St. Germain);
Difensori: Antonelli (Genoa), Astori (Cagliari), Barzagli (Juventus), Bonucci (Juventus), Chiellini (Juventus), De Silvestri (Sampdoria), Maggio (Napoli), Ranocchia (Inter);
Centrocampisti: Aquilani (Fiorentina), Candreva (Lazio), Cerci (Torino), De Rossi (Roma), Diamanti (Bologna), Florenzi (Roma), Giaccherini (Sunderland), Marchisio (Juventus), Montolivo (Milan), Pirlo (Juventus), Verratti (Paris St. Germain);
Attaccanti: Balotelli (Milan), El Shaarawy (Milan), Gilardino (Genoa), Insigne L. (Napoli), Osvaldo (Roma).

Im not really pleased to see any of the Milan players included as they'll have just a week before the CL match vs. PSV. I'll be infuriated if any of them get injured. It is good to see Insigne, Verratti and Florenzi all in there though.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I'm surprised Osvaldo got a call up.

I don't mean this against you Gigi, but I hope Milan lose the CL qualifier ONLY so that you guys can get a coach that realizes you need some loving defenders. Allegri out! Gigi IN!

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Our lad Mario bought a pig and called it Super. I hope it's a normal pig and not a dwarf so in a couple of years he has a huge hog around the house :D.

https://twitter.com/FinallyMario/status/365791221735624704/photo/1

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Hashtag Nascar posted:

Our lad Mario bought a pig and called it Super. I hope it's a normal pig and not a dwarf so in a couple of years he has a huge hog around the house :D.

https://twitter.com/FinallyMario/status/365791221735624704/photo/1

Earlier this morning a guy on twitter mistakenly reported that the pigs name was Cassano and I had a huge lol

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Concerning stars on badges. It's for every 10 wins, but I'm curious on why Milan doesn't wear theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Soulex posted:

Concerning stars on badges. It's for every 10 wins, but I'm curious on why Milan doesn't wear theirs.

It's there, right above the badge

Milan's only got 18. Juve's the only one with more than 20.

• Locked thread