Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Evil Eagle posted:

Is there a mod to put a dog in the passenger's seat? I need this.

I need this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetimecontinuu
Dec 31, 2004
So I'm aware that my drivers will level up in the sense that they will gain additional skill points, but does their rating ever increase? What does rating even mean?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Rating is kind of like a level, I think? I've really only seen it increase with jumps in productivity or when they gain a skill point. It might also have something to do with how much you pay them per run, but it's really not worth worrying about.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

So there I was driving from Germany to Portugal via France, Switzerland for some reason and Spain thanks to the TSM mod when I spotted something in the tree line...

:xcom:

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Oh hey, I borrowed a thing:

Gonna try it out tonight.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

TacticalGranny posted:

A wheel is great. Especially helpful when the truck gets up on half its wheels.

I think the correct setting is 720 degrees of rotation in the logitech profiler.

I just leave my G27 at 900 because I also use it for iracing.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

TacticalGranny posted:

tell me how it works out, I'll probably get that or the G27 with the $400 I usually get in Amazon gift cards for Christmas. Right now I have a lovely Saitek R440 wheel that I don't use because I lack a proper desk.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

900 degree setting is working great and is basically reflected turn for turn in the truck's cabin.

I made a separate profile for using the wheel, because fiery explosions aren't just a possibility; they're an eventuality.

This is also on a Wheel Stand Pro, which I can say is quite solidly built and very nice to have. All in, it's about a $250 rig that I'm using for free. Even if I had paid for it, that's a good wheel and a nice stand that is still less than a G27 alone. I definitely enjoy it with the wheel. The DFGT also has enough buttons where I can map a whole load of things to easy reach.

The DFGT wheel's sequential shifter would work well if there weren't so many gears, and if reverse weren't so far away when you need it most. It's probably better suited to a D/N/R automatic setting, but then you can't go over 1500 RPMs when accelerating.

Is it as good as a G25/7? I would say... probably not. There is no clutch pedal or H-pattern shifter, which would make things both easier and more awesome... BUT it's a solid setup none-the-less.

TacticalGranny fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 4, 2013

spacetimecontinuu
Dec 31, 2004
Good lord I need some sort of camera detector. Protip: slow down to at most 80kph whenever you're about to enter one of the 5000 tunnel entrances throughout Switzerland.

Also do any of you guys know of a mod that puts GPS directions up on the windshield or something? It's hard to watch the GPS when I'm driving 140kph everywhere. I would slow down but I have a 760hp engine and I am compelled to drive way too fast everywhere :getin:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Megadyptes posted:

So there I was driving from Germany to Portugal via France, Switzerland for some reason and Spain thanks to the TSM mod when I spotted something in the tree line...

:xcom:

I spotted that a while back on the older version of the trucksim map but I never thought to make a screenshot so I forgot where it was. Somewhere along the south of france iirc.

Also theres some music festival thing that I drove past in one of the smaller italian towns, anyone got a screenshot of that?

spacetimecontinuu posted:

Good lord I need some sort of camera detector. Protip: slow down to at most 80kph whenever you're about to enter one of the 5000 tunnel entrances throughout Switzerland.

Most countries speedcameras are pretty easy to spot once you know what they look like, mainly just big gantries or cameras on a pole. Apart from the swiss ones which are literaly the size of a gopro attached to a drinking straw. I restarted my save so at the moment I dont have enough cash to just blow through them without consequence, yet :unsmigghh:

On another note does anyone have an open window mod? because it feels like i'm missing out on most of the ambient sounds in this game.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Well I got about this far, but I can't seem to export the file and have it work in the game properly. Everything gets replaced with a texture that says "Texture Missing" or they just get all jumbled up. Also the dog never shows up in game. I don't know blender well either, so that doesn't help.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Yes, I need a dog, a cowboy hat, and I'm still waiting on a Truck Nutz mod.

And everybody should try this with a wheel, the force feedback changes from the last patch are great.

TASTE THE PAIN!! fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 4, 2013

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

TacticalGranny posted:

This is also on a Wheel Stand Pro, which I can say is quite solidly built and very nice to have. All in, it's about a $250 rig that I'm using for free. Even if I had paid for it, that's a good wheel and a nice stand that is still less than a G27 alone. I definitely enjoy it with the wheel. The DFGT also has enough buttons where I can map a whole load of things to easy reach.
I'm using the same setup and it works great, I bought it mainly for Gran Turismo 5, but I've probably spent more time using it for trucking (and being crap at iRacing, but mostly for trucking). The DFGT obviously isn't as good as something like a G27 due to the reasons you mentioned and the pedals are a bit flimsy, but it gets the job done and wasn't too pricey.

The Wheel Stand Pro actually comes with a couple of metal plates you can use to secure the pedals in place with some screws and little rubber feet, which is nice in theory but lasted about two laps into my first GT5 race (the sticky part came off the rubber feet so you could no longer attach them to anything). Fortunately the pedals don't slide around anyway, so it's not a big deal.

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.

TomR posted:

Well I got about this far, but I can't seem to export the file and have it work in the game properly. Everything gets replaced with a texture that says "Texture Missing" or they just get all jumbled up. Also the dog never shows up in game. I don't know blender well either, so that doesn't help.

There's gotta be a bunch of goons that could fix this/help you. Anybody know the appropriate thread to ask in?

Cause what you really need to start working on is a dead hooker/hitch-hiker mod.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
I'm at level 30 and the company makes a million euros a week, but I still avoid speeding tickets because that cash register sound drives me nuts.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Time for a trip report.

I started a new profile to use the wheel with, just in case things went horribly wrong (see above picture). Of course, the first thing I leveled up was ADR 3 - flammable liquids. :getin:

I was using a 360 controller before, and it worked pretty well. In my past experiences with driving games (read: racing games), I was typically faster with a controller than a large peripheral device. I think it's the 'twitch' factor - you can artificially lower your 'response' time by having very small movements of the digits that translate to large movements in the game, whereas with a wheel your gross movements simply take longer to perform the same actions.

After going through a few quick jobs to get the controls set up where they felt natural, I'm pleased to say that using the wheel rig only enhances the game. Since the premise of the game isn't based on raw speed and laser accurate control inputs, there is little to worry about when using the wheel - in fact, with more buttons, you can map more functions to your accessible controls (as long as you can remember where they are). The play experience is highly rewarding - in a game that can easily become monotonous, it helps to keep you more engaged and in the moment.

I can remember more than a few times in the last couple weeks where I would kind of zone out when using the 360 controller and end up crashing into something. I haven't yet experienced that while using the DFGT rig. My PC is hooked through HDMI to a 40" HDTV against a wall (~8-9 feet) and my only complaint is that I'm a bit too far away to read some of the fine print, but that's simply a matter of moving a chair.

tl;dr - Get a wheel, it's worth it.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

TacticalGranny posted:

Time for a trip report.

I started a new profile to use the wheel with, just in case things went horribly wrong (see above picture). Of course, the first thing I leveled up was ADR 3 - flammable liquids. :getin:

I was using a 360 controller before, and it worked pretty well. In my past experiences with driving games (read: racing games), I was typically faster with a controller than a large peripheral device. I think it's the 'twitch' factor - you can artificially lower your 'response' time by having very small movements of the digits that translate to large movements in the game, whereas with a wheel your gross movements simply take longer to perform the same actions.

After going through a few quick jobs to get the controls set up where they felt natural, I'm pleased to say that using the wheel rig only enhances the game. Since the premise of the game isn't based on raw speed and laser accurate control inputs, there is little to worry about when using the wheel - in fact, with more buttons, you can map more functions to your accessible controls (as long as you can remember where they are). The play experience is highly rewarding - in a game that can easily become monotonous, it helps to keep you more engaged and in the moment.

I can remember more than a few times in the last couple weeks where I would kind of zone out when using the 360 controller and end up crashing into something. I haven't yet experienced that while using the DFGT rig. My PC is hooked through HDMI to a 40" HDTV against a wall (~8-9 feet) and my only complaint is that I'm a bit too far away to read some of the fine print, but that's simply a matter of moving a chair.

tl;dr - Get a wheel, it's worth it.

How do you deal with looking around? Do you have the paddle shifters for that? I really am fighting my urge to get a $400 wheel setup (same tv setup as you) just to drive trucks. I just know I'll look back in 5 years and go "why did you do that?"

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
It's a drat shame that there isn't any Eddie Stobart trucks on the road for me to terrorise.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

JuffoWup posted:

How do you deal with looking around? Do you have the paddle shifters for that? I really am fighting my urge to get a $400 wheel setup (same tv setup as you) just to drive trucks. I just know I'll look back in 5 years and go "why did you do that?"

Actually, I use the buttons on the right side of the wheel center. I use the left button (square) to look left, circle to look right (right button) and the cross button to center the view. It doesn't pan nearly as fast as a mouse or TrackIR would, but it's decent. I tried setting those buttons to the "Interior look left/right" setting, and while those were fine while driving (think 60 degrees to driver side, 90 passenger side) they didn't allow me to put my head out the window while backing to deliver, so I changed them back to the regular "look left/right" pan mode.

Also, hi tanks buddy :D

Edit: for that $400 (ish) you could get the DFGT, wheel stand, and a TrackIR with a USB extension, and not have to worry about the looking around part.

Edit #2:
For those that looked at my previous screens, you know I'm a fan of the DAF XF Space in 6x2 for my company. I've got 99 of them.

and they all look like this:

I decided that for my wheel profile, I would RP as a driver for the same company. I don't have all the goodies unlocked yet (should take ~12 levels or so), but here's the starter vehicle. I took the 400k loan and bought the truck, then fully upgraded my garage in Cambridge. Cheap fuel :zoid:

TacticalGranny fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 4, 2013

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Not sure if it's the same in the US, but Logitech has a store on ebay in Australia.

Last year I got my G27 for under A$200 when they had a special.

Currently they are selling the G27 for A$289

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I also really favor the 6x2 chassis. The added range doesn't matter to me so much (there are gas stations everywhere) but it's nice. The stability of the 6x2 in, shall we say, more intense situations is much better than the other two types in my opinion.

EDIT: In real life you'd favor a 6x4 for extra heavy loads for traction and torque. I suppose that outside of parts of North Africa, neither of those are an issue in this game.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Howard Beale posted:

Speaking of driver micromanaging, if a driver levels up but is already maxed out in their current skill, what happens to the skill point? Will it be given to the next skill you choose for their training?

I have no idea, I've thought about the same thing but I do not have the patience to test since it takes ages for them to level up.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Falken posted:

It's a drat shame that there isn't any Eddie Stobart trucks on the road for me to terrorise.

This trailer pack has the skin that you can use.

http://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=136

Its pretty drat big but most of the trailers I have actualy seen irl on the motorway.

I want a knights of old truck damnit!

I swear this game is turning me into a truck geek.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Finally got around to buying this game after reading through this thread. I didn't realise it was made by the same guys that did the 18 Wheels of Steel series which were some of my favourite games.

I decided to emulate being a true English trucker, so I've set up base in Sheffield, am currently listening to a Brummie introduce dad-rock on the radio, and I'm working on my arm tan while killing hookers.

Also, my game is on the highest settings but I'm still getting a lot of jaggies all over the place, does anyone have any optimal settings to make it look the best?

If only this game had drivable white vans in it, then my dreams would be complete :allears:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Vitamins posted:

Finally got around to buying this game after reading through this thread. I didn't realise it was made by the same guys that did the 18 Wheels of Steel series which were some of my favourite games.

I decided to emulate being a true English trucker, so I've set up base in Sheffield, am currently listening to a Brummie introduce dad-rock on the radio, and I'm working on my arm tan while killing hookers.

Also, my game is on the highest settings but I'm still getting a lot of jaggies all over the place, does anyone have any optimal settings to make it look the best?

If only this game had drivable white vans in it, then my dreams would be complete :allears:

Someone said the HDR setting makes the game jaggier, try turning it off. Personally I think turning HDR off just makes everything brownish, my bright green truck became a muddy brown/green without HDR.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Vitamins posted:

If you want to be a real english trucker its pretty easy to add talksport to the list of internet radio stations!

Wierdly, turning off HDR makes my game run like crap :shrug:

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Yeah I turned off the HDR and it just seemed to change the colour palette slightly. Oh well I can deal with a few jaggies.

anime and cars posted:

If you want to be a real english trucker its pretty easy to add talksport to the list of internet radio stations!

Wierdly, turning off HDR makes my game run like crap :shrug:

I'll also need a dash reskin that includes the latest discarded copies of Nuts and The Sun, along with decorative velour tassels and curtains for around the windows. :v:

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Don't forget the huge LED lit Leeds United crest sign on the internal back wall of your cab! Or whatever football team you support I guess.

Also if the "brummie introducing dad-rock" is the station I think it is, Kerrang is no longer based in Birmingham as the company that owns them thinks Fall Out Boy and Muse are too current for the West Midlands so they've replaced it with the UKs best dad-rock station, Planet Rock! Not that I'm bitter or anything...:argh:

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Hah that's funny, I was just browsing the internet radio stations in game looking for a relatively local station, and it said that Kerrang was in Birmingham which is why I was listening to it :v:!

Now I'm listening to some Dresden-based radio which is pretty cool. I think integrated radio should be in a lot more games, it provides great relief from hearing the same stuff over and over. Unless you're listening to Radio 1 of course....

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

The radio is one of the best features of this game. Nothing beats driving 95mph down the motorway in the Netherlands carrying 17t of cyanide and listening to bad trance.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
So I picked up this game but I can't seem to get it to work with my 360 controller at all. I can move the analog stick to move the wheels, but absolutely nothing else works. None of the other buttons do anything. What gives?

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Esroc posted:

So I picked up this game but I can't seem to get it to work with my 360 controller at all. I can move the analog stick to move the wheels, but absolutely nothing else works. None of the other buttons do anything. What gives?

Unfortunately the game doesn't automatically map all of the buttons and analog sticks, so you'll have to do that yourself using the controller and keyboard options in game.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I think the default is actually to push the left analogue stick forward to accelerate (which is terrible).

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I finally got a dog into the cab. He seems to love the rain!

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

TomR posted:

Hey, congrats on getting it to work!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

TomR posted:

If the rear view mirror is anything to go by, you shouldn't be taking pictures of your dog while driving. :ohdear:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

TomR posted:

Next step is to have the dogs head out of the window! :3:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

TomR posted:

Hope you understand your new purpose in life is to create custom mods for us to use. I'd like 1 dashboard with a filled ashtray, some empty bottles and maybe a spent syringe, chop chop.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Nice work! Can I order a tacky pine air freshener to hang in the window please.

Any chance you could link to any guides about how you managed that? I'd like to see how it is done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Research Unix
Sep 30, 2012

TomR posted:

That pup is cute as gently caress. Great job!

• Locked thread