Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Still not convinced? Watch some of these: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbphwhPw2JuvPKzKtaKCxc7t77zElHHl8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

I really really want to play this with a Logitech G27. Of course, for that to make sense, I also have to get TrackIR... and a desk... and another monitor... or multiple monitors, which would mean a new graphics card... But that's a lot of gear to put towards a single game. I suppose it would work with F1 2012 as well, which I like, but even considering that... that's a lot of gear to put towards two games.

I am also currently using a 360 controller. It is miles better than the mouse & keyboard as primary controls and the cost of entry is substantially less.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Keepin' it real.

(yes, I was inspired by the post above)

I put together a short album of screenshots instead of making GBS threads up the thread.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Oceanbound posted:

Yeah I dunno about that tip. I took a job just to test it:

Instead of driving straight to Hamburg, I took a detour to Kiel and doubled back afterwards. The end pay was the exact same as first advertised, despite me driving 120km longer.

The pay is decided by the auto-generated "best route" distance before you accept the job, and includes any skill or load type modifiers you may have (ADR, high value cargo, etc). The only thing that will change by taking a longer, overland route is your experience total. The pay will remain the same, but your overall profit/pay per kilometer will suffer.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

spacetimecontinuu posted:

Thanks for a good laugh.

Uh I just need to reiterate that this game is strangely fun. I just sat down to play for a little bit to test out hauling a load with some of my MP3s and now it's like four hours later. I'm rocking the keyboard and mouse and while I'd much, much rather have a wheel, this is definitely doable. I suppose it'd be nice to use a 360 controller, but I imagine I'd have to get a wired one, right?

Yes, get the wired controller.

On that note, I made a thing what explains my setup:

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Sociopastry posted:

Does anyone know if the realistic physics mod plays nice with Kilonium's Transmissions mod and the TSM map? I want to try it out but I really don't wnana have to start over again.

Back up your profile and mod folders and try it. If it doesn't work, put 'em back. No reason to wait for someone else to try it.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

TjyvTompa posted:

It caps your speed to 90km/h which is realistic. But it adds another dimension to the game, if you are running late for example you can take a chance and drive faster, with like a 99% chance of accidents. :c00l:

If you're realistic and don't try to take twisty roads at 110 kph, you'll be fine. Stick to the posted speed limits and pay attention in the curves. Not only will you make great time, you're less likely to get in accidents while keeping pace with traffic.

Also, I figured out how to break the game:

Once you get a second garage with some crew, it's party time. You don't even have to drive anymore. I made those 12 million Euros in about an hour.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Speaking of AI drivers, do their ratings ever go above 5.0?

I've got a bunch of drivers at 6.7, and they pull in really good money.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Largepotato posted:

You need 2 points in Just-in-Time Delivery to unlock urgent deliveries. :v:

I don't have to drive anymore, :shrug:

edit: I'm still going to drive, though. Since I can only take jobs from cities I've discovered, I'm left with a whole lot of empty space in between. My current task is delivering ice cream from southern Spain to Libya. :honkhonk: (we need to add ETS2 emoticons from Steam to SA)

TacticalGranny fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 2, 2013

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Megadyptes posted:

I'm not sure what this guy is trying to say, but gently caress him anyway.

"Speeders get as much respect"

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

spacetimecontinuu posted:

Quick question - I downloaded the OP's mod pack via the torrent and extracted them to the mod folder. The game notified me that something had been changed the next time I loaded it, but the map doesn't seem any different, I don't see any new currencies and no new engines are available. How else can I confirm that the mods have been loaded?

You have to enable the mods after unpacking them into the mod folder. You can click on "Profiles" at the top right, then "Edit". You should be able to find it from there.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Things I learned in North Africa today:

1. It is 2008

2. It's really easy to go really fast

3. Fuel is cheap

4. Scania has new marketing strategies

5. This is where Mad Max came from

6. Textures can go on holiday

7. Don't bother trying to take a payload over the sand dunes in the northwest. You'll just get rammed by following traffic as you're crawling to the crest of the dunes and be severely damaged.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Oh hey, I borrowed a thing:

Gonna try it out tonight.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

900 degree setting is working great and is basically reflected turn for turn in the truck's cabin.

I made a separate profile for using the wheel, because fiery explosions aren't just a possibility; they're an eventuality.

This is also on a Wheel Stand Pro, which I can say is quite solidly built and very nice to have. All in, it's about a $250 rig that I'm using for free. Even if I had paid for it, that's a good wheel and a nice stand that is still less than a G27 alone. I definitely enjoy it with the wheel. The DFGT also has enough buttons where I can map a whole load of things to easy reach.

The DFGT wheel's sequential shifter would work well if there weren't so many gears, and if reverse weren't so far away when you need it most. It's probably better suited to a D/N/R automatic setting, but then you can't go over 1500 RPMs when accelerating.

Is it as good as a G25/7? I would say... probably not. There is no clutch pedal or H-pattern shifter, which would make things both easier and more awesome... BUT it's a solid setup none-the-less.

TacticalGranny fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 4, 2013

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Time for a trip report.

I started a new profile to use the wheel with, just in case things went horribly wrong (see above picture). Of course, the first thing I leveled up was ADR 3 - flammable liquids. :getin:

I was using a 360 controller before, and it worked pretty well. In my past experiences with driving games (read: racing games), I was typically faster with a controller than a large peripheral device. I think it's the 'twitch' factor - you can artificially lower your 'response' time by having very small movements of the digits that translate to large movements in the game, whereas with a wheel your gross movements simply take longer to perform the same actions.

After going through a few quick jobs to get the controls set up where they felt natural, I'm pleased to say that using the wheel rig only enhances the game. Since the premise of the game isn't based on raw speed and laser accurate control inputs, there is little to worry about when using the wheel - in fact, with more buttons, you can map more functions to your accessible controls (as long as you can remember where they are). The play experience is highly rewarding - in a game that can easily become monotonous, it helps to keep you more engaged and in the moment.

I can remember more than a few times in the last couple weeks where I would kind of zone out when using the 360 controller and end up crashing into something. I haven't yet experienced that while using the DFGT rig. My PC is hooked through HDMI to a 40" HDTV against a wall (~8-9 feet) and my only complaint is that I'm a bit too far away to read some of the fine print, but that's simply a matter of moving a chair.

tl;dr - Get a wheel, it's worth it.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

JuffoWup posted:

How do you deal with looking around? Do you have the paddle shifters for that? I really am fighting my urge to get a $400 wheel setup (same tv setup as you) just to drive trucks. I just know I'll look back in 5 years and go "why did you do that?"

Actually, I use the buttons on the right side of the wheel center. I use the left button (square) to look left, circle to look right (right button) and the cross button to center the view. It doesn't pan nearly as fast as a mouse or TrackIR would, but it's decent. I tried setting those buttons to the "Interior look left/right" setting, and while those were fine while driving (think 60 degrees to driver side, 90 passenger side) they didn't allow me to put my head out the window while backing to deliver, so I changed them back to the regular "look left/right" pan mode.

Also, hi tanks buddy :D

Edit: for that $400 (ish) you could get the DFGT, wheel stand, and a TrackIR with a USB extension, and not have to worry about the looking around part.

Edit #2:
For those that looked at my previous screens, you know I'm a fan of the DAF XF Space in 6x2 for my company. I've got 99 of them.

and they all look like this:

I decided that for my wheel profile, I would RP as a driver for the same company. I don't have all the goodies unlocked yet (should take ~12 levels or so), but here's the starter vehicle. I took the 400k loan and bought the truck, then fully upgraded my garage in Cambridge. Cheap fuel :zoid:

TacticalGranny fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 4, 2013

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

TomR posted:

I finally got a dog into the cab. He seems to love the rain!

Hey, congrats on getting it to work!

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Humerus posted:

Has anyone figured out how to get IHeartRadio stations in game? If it's possible at all? I'd like to add some local stations but they all seem to use IHeartRadio and I can't get actual URLs for the streams.

Also, if anyone has a recommendation for English-based classic rock stations that'd be great, I've mostly been listening to a UK station called Absolute Classic Rock, but it's an Internet thing so there aren't DJs and such and it takes me out of the game (my immersion!).

If you use the ones that are in game (after doing the 'Update from Internet' thing), the ones near the bottom that are preceded by city names are typically hosted shows. I've been listening to the Sheffield station.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Captain Novolin posted:

I installed the improved engines mod and bought the 1500 hp one.

:stare:

I didn't realize a truck could go that fast.

There's an old aviation saying that goes something like (and forgive me if I didn't get it exactly right): "Even a brick can fly if you give it enough thrust".

Still loving the DFGT wheel rig, it's good fun.

Re: the earlier comment about hosted shows - I was listening to Sheffield station while driving, and the radio host read a comment they had just gotten in. It was from a man in Costa Rica, who said he was playing ETS2 and liked listening to their station during the game. I was a little surprised that it wasn't just me at that exact place/time.

Parked at a service station before exiting the game... I liked the scenery.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

I'm organizing a weekly contest on Steam for ETS2.

Truckin' Tuesdays!

Play Euro Truck Sim 2 and post your best screenshot as a link in the comment section of the event. Winner gets Player of the Week honors! Rules are in a discussion thread for the Steam group.

TacticalGranny fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 6, 2013

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Does this game have super huge loads? I've been seeing some absolutely monster things (unsure what) being hauled onto the freeway, like 3+ trailers long, with no ability to pivot in the middle because the whole thing is rigid, on the commute to work. It looks harrowing to drive, and I totally want to be able to do it when I buy this game.

There are some mods that add oversized loads as seen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1vF6K88_rc <-- there. The Baobab is the longest thing I've seen in the game.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Kenworth K100 (cab-over-engine) mod:

http://depositfiles.com/files/zamnatrn3

Only thing I don't like is the interior. I want to get rid of the flag hanging down in the middle of the cab... can anyone help?

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

TomR posted:

I've got your back. Let me upload this.

File:
http://db.tt/GV7L4o8z

Thanks a bunch! I wish I wasn't poo poo at all things modeling.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

I really like the Kenworth K100, aside from a useless off-side mirror and blinkers that ignore cab body opacity. Interesting thing: the fuel tank on the 'Standard'(6x4 short) chassis showed a fuel load of 6760 liters. I dug into the config file and found it was supposed to be 760, so I fixed it.

TacticalGranny fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 9, 2013

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Dilettante. posted:

Eddie Stobart even had a TV series, it's pretty informative on the life of a driver and the operation of a haulage firm. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWM9XzAKbjg

I watched one or two of those when they came out, it was interesting. I didn't know there were fans that staked out the truck yards to watch them roll out; the concept was very foreign to me.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

I don't even

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Resdfru posted:

I wasn't paying attention to the road while going really fast.

You should submit this for the Truckin' Tuesday contest in the Steam group :D

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

MyFaceBeHi posted:

You don't have to start there. Before you buy your own truck you can pick up a load in any town you have visited. The same goes after you've brought your own truck.

This.

I tend to gypsy across a country - take a load from the city you are in to a city you haven't been to yet that's in the most interesting direction. Works out pretty well for discovery of dealers and driver agencies.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

For those who want to play the Scandinavia map mod, you can get it from the makers (http://www.promods.net, sign up required) or Modsaholic (link to download, no sign up). I'm sure it goes without saying that this is not compatible in tandem with TSM 3.5, so start a new profile/game.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

pigdog posted:

So I bought a new blingin' truck and slapped some 20 chrome foglights on it, but they don't work. What's up with that? :saddowns:

You actually have to enable them in the light configurator. Use the 'Cabin Adjustment' link in the main menu, or hit F1 to pause while driving and choose the light adjustment.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Yeah, it does weird things. The real use I get out of them is roof-mounted wide-angle high beams that turn it into daylight.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

I wondered about the design of the light bars etc. in the game until I saw this: http://youtu.be/JH5mf771VHo?t=2m35s. So cool.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

This week's Truckin Tuesday winner is...

So much carnage, so little damage.

Keep on submitting screenshots to the Steam group discussion - a new contest begins today and will be decided next Tuesday! :honkhonk:

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Looks like one of the batteries.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

anime and cars posted:

I found the engine brake works in a simmilar manner but it doesnt work as effectively and it requires a fair amount of revs to achive anything. Although using all 3 is a brilliant way to stop incredibly quickly if you need to.

Turning engine brake to "Auto" and downshifting while braking will be sufficient in most cases. The more RPMs you have, the better it works. The retarder is useful for downhill stretches; you can enable it at various settings to keep your speed to a reasonable rate (who does that, anyways?).

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

I'm enjoying watching these videos from Volvo. Pretty neat.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Largepotato posted:

Made another video. This time I was towing :coal:

Starts with a 4x climb from bottom of the quarry. Movie maker decided to keep the sound for some reason.
Ends with less incompetent parking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1978DZW-UkE

Need to get a Volvo for these videos though, a stock Scania rarely gets up to speed.

I had a trailer like that on a job once, and it did the same thing - really bucked against any sort of turn. I thought the end was a nice touch - GOOD WORK. The 4x sound at the beginning reminds me of early Test Drive video games.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Dilettante. posted:

Level 22, and I have only just discovered the joy of Light Bars.

:siren::pcgaming::siren:

I tried the All fog lights and Horn combos, but I can't seem to get them to work :(

Those are considered "Beacons", not aux or roof lights.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

PopeOnARope posted:

This game is really loving fine happy. Sleeping? FINE. Lights? FINE. No lights? FINE. 140 the wrong way down an offramp? FINE.

Such bullshit.

I think I might try and find/change the fine amount in the SCS file. One euro fine? pffft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

I.

WANT.

THIS.

Couldn't stop laughing.

• Locked thread