Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Yeah, do a new one- it lets people see all the new things without comments that aren't applicable anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
The most common reason to make a new thread is a new OP; since I assume you'd be writing a new one for the release anyway a new thread is probably a good idea.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

New thread would make sense I reckon, if only because yeah, new OP and that.

If I can make a feature request for release, can we have some way to move ore between objects? Especially planets? It seems like once it's delivered to one, it gets stuck there, but I usually want to use it on a ring/artificial world.

Also can we maybe have mining support ships? micromanaging lots of small flagships is a bit of a pain.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I'd also like to see a way to switch between planets with a hotkey, especially in the details/build mode.

Also, please change the behavior of the space bar. I like to re-map that button to pause/unpause and the game also uses it to press whatever button it considers to be selected (generally whatever you clicked last) which leads to some very annoying behavior when you bind spacebar to anything.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

quote:

I'd also like to see a way to switch between planets with a hotkey, especially in the details/build mode.
What would such a hotkey do? Does it just iterate through your planets sequentially?

Also we think we'll just unbind space = confirm on the GUIside [Enter will still be used]

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Firgof posted:

What would such a hotkey do? Does it just iterate through your planets sequentially?

Also we think we'll just unbind space = confirm on the GUIside [Enter will still be used]

Yup, page-up/page-down for next/prev (colonized) planet.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
I'll suggest that to my co-workers but it'll be at the very least post-release before it can be considered - game is now frozen for final testing.

:siren: Release Candidate is out!

Firgof fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 24, 2015

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I can't figure out how to make the Mechanised race work. The teleporting of population is good, but the time and cost (150k per 1 population) really puts a dint in your expansion in the mid-game.

It also felt like neccesary infrastructure in my galaxy (supply stations, trade stuff) was getting put to the side to try and keep my homeworld's population up. Perhaps just poor strategizing/resource selection by me, but I dunno.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Conot posted:

I can't figure out how to make the Mechanised race work. The teleporting of population is good, but the time and cost (150k per 1 population) really puts a dint in your expansion in the mid-game.

It also felt like neccesary infrastructure in my galaxy (supply stations, trade stuff) was getting put to the side to try and keep my homeworld's population up. Perhaps just poor strategizing/resource selection by me, but I dunno.

They take a few games to get used to and understand, but are pretty awesome once you do

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Conot posted:

Yep, all the 'Advanced' tag races take a bit of acclimation to get used to because they're a bit divergent from the normal play of the game. Getting used to the Nylli for instance also takes some time and some rethinking about how the game works for them.

Today I'll start work on the new OP so I can get it all nice and tidy and sharp before launch day on Friday. Got a request from Tom Chick to take a look at the game so looks like we'll actually be able to muster up some possible big media coverage on launch, even with surely everyone drooling over reviewing Bloodborne and Pillars of Eternity. Also Scott's going to Hawai'i this week so that [insert whatever style of video he ultimately decides to do] is going to be delayed a bit.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 24, 2015

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Conot posted:

I've only just started playing with them, but honestly I find labor to be a bigger problem than the money; when you don't need food or water, you save a ton on planet upkeep. But having to constantly produce population on core planets makes it very hard to build other stuff, as you note.

FTL energy can be a problem as well, depending on the planets you find. But without the need for food or water it's super easy to level an FTL crystals planet up if you find one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bremen posted:

I've only just started playing with them, but honestly I find labor to be a bigger problem than the money; when you don't need food or water, you save a ton on planet upkeep. But having to constantly produce population on core planets makes it very hard to build other stuff, as you note.

FTL energy can be a problem as well, depending on the planets you find. But without the need for food or water it's super easy to level an FTL crystals planet up if you find one.

My advice would be to perhaps make use of the terraforming ability to turn all water/food worlds into money/labor worlds. It will cost you some investment but will give you some solid population cap and some extra labor.

Also, use your FTL coloniser ability to snipe a good T3 resource or scalable resource for your homeworld to morph into.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Bremen posted:

I've found labor to be basically their biggest strength. Every pop is labor! Labor lets you make more pop! Labor lets you make more Labor! It's crazy.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Firgof, are the save files staying compatible between updates?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Yeah, that's always been the case - we've tried to keep it that way.

If there are problems with loading a save let us know and we'll take a look.

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

I remember playing the first Star Ruler and enjoyed it for the brief time I had to play it. Just purchased Star Ruler 2 and looking forward to playing it this weekend.
I also agree that you should either update or make a new thread for your game. I would have never of heard of the original Star Ruler or its sequel if it wasn't for the threads here.
Wish you the best of luck with your launch this Friday!

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Meanwhile, at Blind Mind Studios: :derp:

Getting the new thread OP done today just as soon as I update the screenshots on Steam. It's already partially updated (just have some bad stuff in the shots here and there) along with our snazzy new title/logo art.

We'll be launching just as soon as reaper wakes up and hits the big red button tomorrow. By my prediction, that'll be at/around 12:30 PM CST.

:siren: Also the 4-pack is available now for those who were holding out. :siren:

Sadly, we could not title it the '4X pack'.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 26, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Good luck with launch guys! Picked up my copy after Daton asked if the price was going up. ;)

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
@GreyHunter: Watched the first episode of your SR2 LP. Good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Juo6uQ1yI

Right, so now that I've tidied up the steam store's screenshots I'll start working on the new thread. What's the procedure for starting up a new thread? Do I close this one immediately after I open the new one with a redirect link on the last post or...?

Edit: Also, thank you Thyrork. Hope you're enjoying the game.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Make the new thread, post here saying "New thread here!" and close this one. :)

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Alright, that'll be the procedure we go with then. Just waiting on the boss to wake up while I make this new thread OP.

I'll be updating this post with reviews and whatnot as they arrive until then.

First up, eXplorminate's review: http://www.explorminate.com/#!Star-Ruler-2/c15kj/551447ff0cf215f35a1c3507 [Verdict: Recommended]

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Having been involved with the game for a long time now, watching the handful of YouTube LPs I see is mindnumbingly boring.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
And we are officially launched. Like adulthood - you don't really feel different when you're launched. You just suddenly gain a whole bunch of responsibilities.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Firgof posted:

And we are officially launched. Like adulthood - you don't really feel different when you're launched. You just suddenly gain a whole bunch of responsibilities.

:neckbeard: Congrats Blind Mind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Alright, about to make the new thread. Here goes nothing!

Edit: New thead --> http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3709075

Firgof fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 27, 2015

• Locked thread